DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Bundoora;304833 said:
just wiping away the tears now mate:D

well said and hope that puts an end to it, i'm sure you'll be well received, your ex-team mates are generally pretty quiet in the field so i'm sure they won't say boo!!!:rolleyes:

I don't know what you mean Bradley!

Simon, no going to say anything about your posts, however, is this really the first time you have posted?:D:D

Salpigtidis?.......never heard of him.....but I wish him good luck in whatever it is he does. Anyone who has time to post their autobiography on bigcricket gets a thumbs up from me.

S.Salpigtidis;304817 said:
Boys,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've tried to avoid getting on here since the first time someone told me about the website, but I think now is just about the right time to try and put a few things straight.

Obviously I have read the things that have been posted on here about me; some of the good stuff, and some of it not so good, but thats the nature of a forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I certainly have no problems with people having an opinion on me and what I have done in the past.

I'm big enough to understand, and I hope others will too after I'm done here, that I have made plenty of mistakes in recent times. At 22, i think i've now learnt some very valuable lessons, the hard way no doubt.

At no stage however have I intentionally disrespected anyone or their clubs. I like to play the game hard, and smart, the second point of which may have been lacking on some occasions, but i think most people would know that I certainly dont hold any grudges after 6pm on a Saturday.

Above all, i have only ever wanted to be successful with the teammates i play with, given that we put so much time and effort into our cricket.

My coaching stint at Lower Eltham was a major learning curve not only for myself, but for everyone involved in that club that I grew up in. Contrary to what people believe, the honest truth is that I left Lower Eltham for the good of the club, AND myself. Sometimes people just need a change, and Luke Poyser has done an outstanding job. The boys know of the hardships we went through off the field last year, and with a bit of luck and plenty of hardwork im sure, things are now very different and successful down there. I'm as happy as anyone for them.

As for my new club, it is an honour to play with the likes of Smale/Gleeson/Ellks and co., and to be Scott Gibbs' assistant is a humbling experience let me tell you. These boys have made my transition seemless, and I've learnt a hell of a lot already.

To the rest of my Riverside team mates, I thank them for backing me in the face of some pretty stiff criticism and for making me feel welcome and respected. The culture of this club is everything I imagined it would be, with proud traditions that you can't help but be captured by.

This week is a tough one for me, playing against the team that I spent 10 years learning everything I know at, but I would hope no matter what happens, that it goes some way to putting the past behind us all.

Good luck to everyone at their respective clubs for the season.

Simon Salpigtidis. (sorry for such a long post)

Now hopefully this post by the pig will stop all the crap that is spoken about him on this forum. Well done pigga, well said and see ya on the weekend.

five80;306216 said:
Salpigtidis?.......never heard of him.....but I wish him good luck in whatever it is he does. Anyone who has time to post their autobiography on bigcricket gets a thumbs up from me.

You obviously don't read this thread that often, bacause he smashed from pillar to post since this thread started up.

Well we are finally back after christmas, everyone has had there pork and christmas pudding, plenty of stubbies over the break and everyone surely will be raring to go. Finally I can watch some drinking cans on a Saturday arvo.
Plenty of top games this round which potentially can shape the four. So here are my predictions which probably means nothing and i'm totally wrong.

Bundoora v Macleod. Bundy back at home. Would love to make over 200 one day. I reckon they will this match and have the fire power with the ball to hold out Macleod.

Lalor Stars v Epping. Must win for the Stars. At home, will give it a big shake, but Epping will prove too strong.

Diamond Creek v Mernda. Must win game for Creek and Mernda will want to bounce back after there first loss. At home Creek will get home in a thriller to keep there season alive.

Lower Plenty v Research. Could be a run fest. Arnberger and Zerafa are well and truly overdue and Turner and Malone have been steady all year, for that fact i'll go Research, but with no confidence.

Riverside v Lower Eltham. Huge match. The Pig against his old side for the first time. Gibbs and Smale need to score big runs too get up. Whitcher has feasted on Riverside attacks for years and this week will prove no different. Lower's batting strength will see them get up.

Plenty v Eltham. Having a sip with a few Etham blokes over the break and they are pretty confident in getting the chocolates this week. Sorry guys, I can't see it happening. I can't see Plenty letting this game slip and keep in touch with the 4.

Good luck to everyone this weekend and enjoy the beer after the game, I know i will during it.

S.Salpigtidis;304817 said:
Boys,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've tried to avoid getting on here since the first time someone told me about the website, but I think now is just about the right time to try and put a few things straight.

Obviously I have read the things that have been posted on here about me; some of the good stuff, and some of it not so good, but thats the nature of a forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I certainly have no problems with people having an opinion on me and what I have done in the past.

I'm big enough to understand, and I hope others will too after I'm done here, that I have made plenty of mistakes in recent times. At 22, i think i've now learnt some very valuable lessons, the hard way no doubt.

At no stage however have I intentionally disrespected anyone or their clubs. I like to play the game hard, and smart, the second point of which may have been lacking on some occasions, but i think most people would know that I certainly dont hold any grudges after 6pm on a Saturday.

Above all, i have only ever wanted to be successful with the teammates i play with, given that we put so much time and effort into our cricket.

My coaching stint at Lower Eltham was a major learning curve not only for myself, but for everyone involved in that club that I grew up in. Contrary to what people believe, the honest truth is that I left Lower Eltham for the good of the club, AND myself. Sometimes people just need a change, and Luke Poyser has done an outstanding job. The boys know of the hardships we went through off the field last year, and with a bit of luck and plenty of hardwork im sure, things are now very different and successful down there. I'm as happy as anyone for them.

As for my new club, it is an honour to play with the likes of Smale/Gleeson/Ellks and co., and to be Scott Gibbs' assistant is a humbling experience let me tell you. These boys have made my transition seemless, and I've learnt a hell of a lot already.

To the rest of my Riverside team mates, I thank them for backing me in the face of some pretty stiff criticism and for making me feel welcome and respected. The culture of this club is everything I imagined it would be, with proud traditions that you can't help but be captured by.

This week is a tough one for me, playing against the team that I spent 10 years learning everything I know at, but I would hope no matter what happens, that it goes some way to putting the past behind us all.

Good luck to everyone at their respective clubs for the season.

Simon Salpigtidis. (sorry for such a long post)
my god how long did it take you to write that post

The430king;307107 said:
Well we are finally back after christmas, everyone has had there pork and christmas pudding, plenty of stubbies over the break and everyone surely will be raring to go. Finally I can watch some drinking cans on a Saturday arvo.
Plenty of top games this round which potentially can shape the four. So here are my predictions which probably means nothing and i'm totally wrong.

Bundoora v Macleod. Bundy back at home. Would love to make over 200 one day. I reckon they will this match and have the fire power with the ball to hold out Macleod.

Lalor Stars v Epping. Must win for the Stars. At home, will give it a big shake, but Epping will prove too strong.

Diamond Creek v Mernda. Must win game for Creek and Mernda will want to bounce back after there first loss. At home Creek will get home in a thriller to keep there season alive.

Lower Plenty v Research. Could be a run fest. Arnberger and Zerafa are well and truly overdue and Turner and Malone have been steady all year, for that fact i'll go Research, but with no confidence.

Riverside v Lower Eltham. Huge match. The Pig against his old side for the first time. Gibbs and Smale need to score big runs too get up. Whitcher has feasted on Riverside attacks for years and this week will prove no different. Lower's batting strength will see them get up.

Plenty v Eltham. Having a sip with a few Etham blokes over the break and they are pretty confident in getting the chocolates this week. Sorry guys, I can't see it happening. I can't see Plenty letting this game slip and keep in touch with the 4.

Good luck to everyone this weekend and enjoy the beer after the game, I know i will during it.

Good post there but what may be very crucial to these matches is who or who won't be available. Always a prob so close after the break with players still on hols.

The430king;307107 said:

Well, what an interesting weekend gents, a few surprises, with some of these maybe having a bit to do with the end of season fate for a few teams:

Bundoora, as suspected, should be too strong for Macleod, good to see the Bulls put together a dominant batting performance, their bowling will be too good and the runs too many for Macleod, even with Lynch and Waddingham. Macleod desperately hoping Eltham keep losing to keep their head above the Money Shield water.

Massive day for the Stars, who should have too many for Epping's batting line-up, although I would just about be 100% certain that the ground would have been lightening? Would have loved to have seen some of Volpe's 95, it may have booked them a finals spot.

The biggest surprise of the weekend has to go to Mernda. Beside the fact that they are in the four, not may would have tipped them to get that many and then have Creek crippled at 4/not many with Yarra back in the shed. Ground is small and quick but Chesterton and Baker will see them home easy one would think.

Lower Plenty should have put a bit of breathing space between themselves and Money Shield by smashing well over 300 against Research. Good on Compo getting 90*. Lower were 7/210 or thereabouts, to get that many was a terrific effort, Research would be gutted but on the small ground with Turner and Malone, who is due, it sounds silly to suggest it is not unreachable, Lower should win.

It was the Scott Gibbs show down at Whatmough as the DV captain helped his side get a massive score against the league leaders. No C. Salva may have hurt Lower and the absence of Gunny may hurt their run chase, but, i'm sure LP and Whitch will have something to say about that, I'm tipping Lower to get close on the quick ground. How close is up to the two I've mentioned.

Plenty should have got more than 260 against Eltham, especially when they were 3/200 or so. I think we all know the key to day two in this one? Plenty will be hoping to knock Minney over cheaply to keep their finals hopes alive and I'm tipping Rozzy and Hubbs to get the job done for the Power.

five80;306216 said:

You obviously don't read this thread that often, bacause he smashed from pillar to post since this thread started up.

comp side should be announced in the next few days, i see the money shield side is on the Website already. i'll have a crack

L.Poyser
A.Volpe
S.Gibbs
E.Smale
J.Whitcher
S.Waddingham
D.Love
B.Glynn
P.Baker
M.Hansen
C.Salvatore ( if fit )
T.Keays

i've left out Minney, not sure if he wants to play, Stu Adams, who is unavailable & didn't consider the Epping guys cos i think they've been reluctant to play in the past ( i could be wrong ).

CricketBox;307771 said:
Well, what an interesting weekend gents, a few surprises, with some of these maybe having a bit to do with the end of season fate for a few teams:

Bundoora, as suspected, should be too strong for Macleod, good to see the Bulls put together a dominant batting performance, their bowling will be too good and the runs too many for Macleod, even with Lynch and Waddingham. Macleod desperately hoping Eltham keep losing to keep their head above the Money Shield water.

Massive day for the Stars, who should have too many for Epping's batting line-up, although I would just about be 100% certain that the ground would have been lightening? Would have loved to have seen some of Volpe's 95, it may have booked them a finals spot.

The biggest surprise of the weekend has to go to Mernda. Beside the fact that they are in the four, not may would have tipped them to get that many and then have Creek crippled at 4/not many with Yarra back in the shed. Ground is small and quick but Chesterton and Baker will see them home easy one would think.

Lower Plenty should have put a bit of breathing space between themselves and Money Shield by smashing well over 300 against Research. Good on Compo getting 90*. Lower were 7/210 or thereabouts, to get that many was a terrific effort, Research would be gutted but on the small ground with Turner and Malone, who is due, it sounds silly to suggest it is not unreachable, Lower should win.

It was the Scott Gibbs show down at Whatmough as the DV captain helped his side get a massive score against the league leaders. No C. Salva may have hurt Lower and the absence of Gunny may hurt their run chase, but, i'm sure LP and Whitch will have something to say about that, I'm tipping Lower to get close on the quick ground. How close is up to the two I've mentioned.

Plenty should have got more than 260 against Eltham, especially when they were 3/200 or so. I think we all know the key to day two in this one? Plenty will be hoping to knock Minney over cheaply to keep their finals hopes alive and I'm tipping Rozzy and Hubbs to get the job done for the Power.

Was down there for the Scotty Gibbs show and was one of the best digs i've seen in local cricket. When in at about 1/20 and totally took control of the situation and dominated the attack like a class batsman does. It took and absolute ball tearer by the very bald Burgoyne to get him out. Lucky to get him when they did or else LE could be chasing 330. I thought if Lower hold them to under 300 without Salvatore bowling, they'll be very happy. Should be a good run chase. Poys, Digga and Witch will be the keys. Witch always makes runs at Riverside. I reckon he has made at least three tons against them and if he gets another on here, i think they will be over the line in the 78th.

The430king;307107 said:

Good post there but what may be very crucial to these matches is who or who won't be available. Always a prob so close after the break with players still on hols.

The430king;308199 said:
Was down there for the Scotty Gibbs show and was one of the best digs i've seen in local cricket. When in at about 1/20 and totally took control of the situation and dominated the attack like a class batsman does. It took and absolute ball tearer by the very bald Burgoyne to get him out. Lucky to get him when they did or else LE could be chasing 330. I thought if Lower hold them to under 300 without Salvatore bowling, they'll be very happy. Should be a good run chase. Poys, Digga and Witch will be the keys. Witch always makes runs at Riverside. I reckon he has made at least three tons against them and if he gets another on here, i think they will be over the line in the 78th.

You guys are actually chasing 343 - got an e-mail from the DVCA last night advising that Lower have been penalised 50 runs due to Luke Poyser's beard.

It's like a ranga Abraham Lincoln - truly shocking :D

The430king;307107 said:

Bubble Wrap;308364 said:
You guys are actually chasing 343 - got an e-mail from the DVCA last night advising that Lower have been penalised 50 runs due to Luke Poyser's beard.

It's like a ranga Abraham Lincoln - truly shocking :D[/QUOTE
Bubble Wrap;308364 said:
]

He told me at the weekend that his all time cricket hero is Hashim Amla. Its not actually a beard he has just been glueing his pubes to his face with more and more volume as the season has progressed.

comp side should be announced in the next few days, i see the money shield side is on the Website already. i'll have a crack

L.Poyser
A.Volpe
S.Gibbs
E.Smale
J.Whitcher
S.Waddingham
D.Love
B.Glynn
P.Baker
M.Hansen
C.Salvatore ( if fit )
T.Keays

i've left out Minney, not sure if he wants to play, Stu Adams, who is unavailable & didn't consider the Epping guys cos i think they've been reluctant to play in the past ( i could be wrong ).

The430king;308199 said:

I cannot believe you guys are wasting time talking about some local cricketer making a ton on as asphalt mini-ground when two young fellas announced themselves as genuine superstars of Australian cricket:

Congrats to David Warner and Nick Curtain on two of the better knocks you are ever likely to see, certainly the higher level beckons for both of these fine young gentlemen.

CricketBox;307771 said:

Kingofthevalley;308593 said:
I cannot believe you guys are wasting time talking about some local cricketer making a ton on as asphalt mini-ground when two young fellas announced themselves as genuine superstars of Australian cricket:

Congrats to David Warner and Nick Curtain on two of the better knocks you are ever likely to see, certainly the higher level beckons for both of these fine young gentlemen.

Both swung from the arse. Both were good to watch!
One facing Styne. One facing Noodles!

The430king;308199 said:

It's like a ranga Abraham Lincoln - truly shocking :D

Bubble Wrap;308364 said:

It's like a ranga Abraham Lincoln - truly shocking :D[/QUOTE
Bubble Wrap;308364 said:
]

He told me at the weekend that his all time cricket hero is Hashim Amla. Its not actually a beard he has just been glueing his pubes to his face with more and more volume as the season has progressed.

Tongs;308614 said:

Two class act there......and I bet Styne is crap on the punt as noods is.....

The430king;308199 said:

CowCorner;308928 said:

I wonder if Styne has a "dart and a coke" for breakfast too? The breakfast of champions!

Kingofthevalley;308593 said:

Tongs;309204 said:
I wonder if Styne has a "dart and a coke" for breakfast too? The breakfast of champions!

On NYE he actually stated he would give up the coke.....only if a certain person went on a diet and health regime with Willo (430K hows that going anyway (as if you would remember!!!)):D:D

CowCorner;309217 said:
On NYE he actually stated he would give up the coke.....only if a certain person went on a diet and health regime with Willo (430K hows that going anyway (as if you would remember!!!)):D:D

Noodles would give up life before coke!

********By the way, I would like to put a bounty out on the head of Noodles (S.Butterfield) For 6 months now, he has told me how good a batsman he is, and that he should not be batting at 11 each week. The reason for all this talk is because he didn't go out for the whole of 2008. That being the end of last season, and start of this season. So please someone get him out! If it is a regular on here, I'll buy them a 6 pack of beer the next time they are at Eltham!

Tongs;308614 said:

Just wondering if anyone witnessed Shannon Malones 151no against Lower Plenty? Apparently came off 90 balls with 14 fours and 11 sixes with three of those clearing everything and bouncing on Para Rd. Probably worth mentioning the effort of 16yo Tom Gilmore`s 68 and 16yo Alden Meales effort of 38 opening the batting. Good win by Research with no Glen Turner or Matt Ross.

CowCorner;308928 said:

brutal;312530 said:
Just wondering if anyone witnessed Shannon Malones 151no against Lower Plenty? Apparently came off 90 balls with 14 fours and 11 sixes with three of those clearing everything and bouncing on Para Rd. Probably worth mentioning the effort of 16yo Tom Gilmore`s 68 and 16yo Alden Meales effort of 38 opening the batting. Good win by Research with no Glen Turner or Matt Ross.

best innings ive ever seen in the dvca (malone)
good effort from gilmore

Tongs;309204 said:

all day!;312577 said:
best innings ive ever seen in the dvca (malone)
good effort from gilmore

Seems I missed something pretty special! I did throw down a bit of a challenge to him on Saturday morning, he delivered in spades. Full credit to him!

CowCorner;309217 said:

Noodles would give up life before coke!

********By the way, I would like to put a bounty out on the head of Noodles (S.Butterfield) For 6 months now, he has told me how good a batsman he is, and that he should not be batting at 11 each week. The reason for all this talk is because he didn't go out for the whole of 2008. That being the end of last season, and start of this season. So please someone get him out! If it is a regular on here, I'll buy them a 6 pack of beer the next time they are at Eltham!

Bundoora;313244 said:
just wondering if anyone can explain why Steven Doyle has been picked as keeper in the comp side? On face value it is a case of playing for the same club as the captain/selector

for example, this years stats

Doyle - 63 runs @9 & 11 catches

McClean ( creek ) 109 runs @ 21.8 & 12 catches

Tenni ( lwr plenty ) 138 runs @ 69 & 6 catches & 1 stumping

Sing ( bundoora ) 87 runs @ 14.5 & 12 catches & 3 stumpings

Johnno ( plenty ) 187 runs @ 23.4 & 5 catches

Nothing against Steve, but would like to know if any of the above players were asked or unavaialble

For the record, the other 11 selections are spot on in my opinion, rewarding guys such as Volpe & Angellucci who have had great seasons up to now.

bundoora, no disrespect intended but pretty cheap shot if you think thats how stevie got pick, both lovey and myself believe he's the best keeper in the comp at the moment and with luke poyer's unavailability we both agreed he was next cab of the rank, he did a awesome job against HDCA last season . i'm sure everyone has different views on different people but he is a outstanding keeper in my opinion as are some of the other guys you mentioned, but we can only pick one unlike batsmen and bowlers. selection as you well know is thankless task and i'm sure others will want to way in there opinions , but i've expressed selectors views and i'll leave it at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back