DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Lalor Stars V Lower Eltham is at HURSTBRIDGE!!!

I know Elthams "E" grade earnt the right to a home final but surely the "A" grade semi should take precedence, considering not many of the players involved would have ever travelled to Hurstbridge let alone played there.

Not sure even if Keaysy has been back there after he set the dancefloor alight after he kicked 7 in the granny in 03.:D

Bundoora;331059 said:
good luck to all involved in the semi-finals this week. In my opinion the right 4teams made the finals, they have been very consistent over the whole course of the season.

For what it's worth, i'm tipping a Lower Eltham V Epping Grand Final.

i think the home ground advantage will be the deciding factor. Mernda, despite a hiccup last week have been one of the benchmarks all year while Epping have struck form at the right time of the season. In what could be a low scoring affair, if Epping can bat 1st and get 180+ i expect them to win.

wild cards -

Epping - Shane Topham, highest score of 43 for the season, if he gets a big score, Epping will win.

Mernda - Brent Bailey, has not made 100 runs for the year and if mernda are to win he will need to perform. At his best, is a very good bat who can help the likes of Steele & Resa to attack from the other end.

I like Lower Eltham to beat Lalor ( surely this game will be at Eltham!! )
They have been the best team all season and have the batting depth to post big totals. Lalor Stars are much the same, have some high quality bats who can post big scores in very quick time. Keaysy will need to be at his best but i'm not sure if he has enough help from the other end to contain the likes of Witcher, Curtis, Poyser, Gunn & BURGOYNE:D.On the other hand, Salvatore is having a great season, as is Burgs and have the depth with Curtis, Still and maybe even the left arm spinner Grant who could be a suprise inclusion to tie up an end.

Wild Cards

Lower Eltham - I would play Grant as i think most of the stars Line-up are more than comfortable with the ball coming on and the fact that most if not all are right handed bats so he'd have the ability to spin the ball away from the bat.

Lalor Stars - Leigh Marshall, if he can refrain from telling Keaysy or his brother to get f**ed for the whole 160 overs i reckon he can be very dangerous, hit's the ball well and has the ability to take a wicket or two, which stars will need at regular intervals if they are to be a chance

It was the most classy innings by a number 11 i have seen for a long time. It had evreything, 15 plays and misses outside off stump (they even brought in a 4th slip after 10 plays and misses), pull shots and even an tennis smash off Claude. It just got ruined by one of the worst shots in history. It was as almost as classy as an number 11 bat who won a D grade flag off his own bat 2 years ago. That was topped off with the batsman leaving the ball standing on square legs toes.

Bundoora;331804 said:
I know Elthams "E" grade earnt the right to a home final but surely the "A" grade semi should take precedence, considering not many of the players involved would have ever travelled to Hurstbridge let alone played there.

Not sure even if Keaysy has been back there after he set the dancefloor alight after he kicked 7 in the granny in 03.:D

Needless to say as a club we are none to happy.

However, I can certainly understand Eltham's E-grade getting to play at home, bearing in mind the highest grade a club has in finals plays at their best ground which is not necessarily their actual home ground. It happened to our C-grade a couple of years ago.

Ground aside it is always a big task playing finals and I sure the players, from both teams, will get over the disappointment and concentrate on the game.

My tips for the weekend. Don't you just love finals cricket!

Lower Eltham vs Lalor Stars at Hurstbride

Lower Eltham to win.

Why?

They are the best batting team in it despite losing last week to second placed Epping and they will find the one pronged Stars attack a bit easier to handle than the Epping arsenal.

Keays is the only one capable of getting into the Lower batsmen and if he doesn't then Lower should post a big score. They bat very well with Whitcher, Gunn, Curtis and Poyser the keys to their game with the stick.

On the other hand, Lower bowl and field well as a team with Salvatore obviously the danger to a Stars batting line-up that will be without Volpe and Drummond if the mail is correct. If they play, however, they still have enough batting to worry Lower's bowlers and this will be the one area that the Stars will need to get the edge if they are to upset the minor premiers. If either of them don't play it will just about be on impossible for the Stars one feels as both are very good batsmen, especially Volpe who could destroy Lower's bowling if he can get in and away.

Lower have been beaten in a gf and then had a stinker in the last two years and the CricketBox thinks they won't be letting this one slip away too easily and will record an easy win and book themselves another crack at the flag next week.

Epping vs Mernda at Epping

Epping to win

Why?

Cast your mind back to the past fortnight of cricket and the answer is logical. Epping beat the top side at the same ground which has become thier very own house of pain this year and Mernda escaped by the skin of their teeth against Plenty in a terrible warm up for the finals that saw them go from hosting a semi to having to front up to Epping against a pumped up and in from defending champs this week.

Epping is the last team you would want to play when your batting is as cold as a witches breast, especially at their ground. Elworthy holds the key to Mernda's batting as he seems the only one who is likely to be able to resist the best bowling attack in the comp of the Hursts x2, Sam McTaggart, Lever and Claudio. Davis might be able to get some as his style of batting might just be the way you have to go about Epping at Epping.

Epping won't have it entirely their own way, especially when they bat. Baker and Chesterton form another formidable bowling duo in this game and Bakes will only need one or two to kickstart a collapse if they can get through Fletcher and Topham. Fletcher is the key to Epping's batting and has been all year as the most consistent opener in the comp behind Minney.

Both teams batting is their weakness, but Epping's is better as is their bowling depth and on their own turf will win easily in my opinion unless Baker goes mental, that is Mernda's only chance.

Good luck to all.

you won't be disappointed when you get there boys, the ground is in great nick, we played there last week. very bouncey deck and short square.

The430king;331967 said:
It was the most classy innings by a number 11 i have seen for a long time. It had evreything, 15 plays and misses outside off stump (they even brought in a 4th slip after 10 plays and misses), pull shots and even an tennis smash off Claude. It just got ruined by one of the worst shots in history. It was as almost as classy as an number 11 bat who won a D grade flag off his own bat 2 years ago. That was topped off with the batsman leaving the ball standing on square legs toes.

Lessons taught that day Jimmy just Lessons. Ease up on the old square leg crap, front foot forward all day......hit the bad ones and just plainly play and miss at the good ones:D:D

Bundoora;331804 said:

Absolute disgrace. I don't think anything else is needed to be said on the ground issue. I don't go that far for my holidays. by the way Quinny, Keaysy is a guaranteed starter for the weekend. He is sore, but have been told by a source that he will play. Although, also told Volpe and Drummond won't be playing.

The430king;331967 said:

Come on now credit where credit is due. His partner at the other end played a big part in the win that day.

Bundoora;331059 said:
good luck to all involved in the semi-finals this week. In my opinion the right 4teams made the finals, they have been very consistent over the whole course of the season.

For what it's worth, i'm tipping a Lower Eltham V Epping Grand Final.

i think the home ground advantage will be the deciding factor. Mernda, despite a hiccup last week have been one of the benchmarks all year while Epping have struck form at the right time of the season. In what could be a low scoring affair, if Epping can bat 1st and get 180+ i expect them to win.

wild cards -

Epping - Shane Topham, highest score of 43 for the season, if he gets a big score, Epping will win.

Mernda - Brent Bailey, has not made 100 runs for the year and if mernda are to win he will need to perform. At his best, is a very good bat who can help the likes of Steele & Resa to attack from the other end.

I like Lower Eltham to beat Lalor ( surely this game will be at Eltham!! )
They have been the best team all season and have the batting depth to post big totals. Lalor Stars are much the same, have some high quality bats who can post big scores in very quick time. Keaysy will need to be at his best but i'm not sure if he has enough help from the other end to contain the likes of Witcher, Curtis, Poyser, Gunn & BURGOYNE:D.On the other hand, Salvatore is having a great season, as is Burgs and have the depth with Curtis, Still and maybe even the left arm spinner Grant who could be a suprise inclusion to tie up an end.

Wild Cards

Lower Eltham - I would play Grant as i think most of the stars Line-up are more than comfortable with the ball coming on and the fact that most if not all are right handed bats so he'd have the ability to spin the ball away from the bat.

Lalor Stars - Leigh Marshall, if he can refrain from telling Keaysy or his brother to get f**ed for the whole 160 overs i reckon he can be very dangerous, hit's the ball well and has the ability to take a wicket or two, which stars will need at regular intervals if they are to be a chance

tongs;331770 said:
played against keays last year, he was struggling a bit to take a wicket. Largely due to skips. He then "tore" his hamstring just before tea, couldn't bowl any longer. Just before tea, we lost a couple of wickets. Keays bowled out the day! These mystery illness's and injuries are as baffling as shane doyle playing ones!

I'm sure we have all seen him do an injury then come back will a full puff of steam when there are wickets falling!

2008- minney c kemp b keays 13
2009- minney lbw keays 87 keays 31 overs 5-53
he obviously wasnt off for too long you dill
he got you lbw for 7 didnt he?

Lower Eltham to win.

Why?

They are the best batting team in it despite losing last week to second placed Epping and they will find the one pronged Stars attack a bit easier to handle than the Epping arsenal.

Keays is the only one capable of getting into the Lower batsmen and if he doesn't then Lower should post a big score. They bat very well with Whitcher, Gunn, Curtis and Poyser the keys to their game with the stick.

On the other hand, Lower bowl and field well as a team with Salvatore obviously the danger to a Stars batting line-up that will be without Volpe and Drummond if the mail is correct. If they play, however, they still have enough batting to worry Lower's bowlers and this will be the one area that the Stars will need to get the edge if they are to upset the minor premiers. If either of them don't play it will just about be on impossible for the Stars one feels as both are very good batsmen, especially Volpe who could destroy Lower's bowling if he can get in and away.

Lower have been beaten in a gf and then had a stinker in the last two years and the CricketBox thinks they won't be letting this one slip away too easily and will record an easy win and book themselves another crack at the flag next week.

Epping to win

Why?

Cast your mind back to the past fortnight of cricket and the answer is logical. Epping beat the top side at the same ground which has become thier very own house of pain this year and Mernda escaped by the skin of their teeth against Plenty in a terrible warm up for the finals that saw them go from hosting a semi to having to front up to Epping against a pumped up and in from defending champs this week.

Epping is the last team you would want to play when your batting is as cold as a witches breast, especially at their ground. Elworthy holds the key to Mernda's batting as he seems the only one who is likely to be able to resist the best bowling attack in the comp of the Hursts x2, Sam McTaggart, Lever and Claudio. Davis might be able to get some as his style of batting might just be the way you have to go about Epping at Epping.

Epping won't have it entirely their own way, especially when they bat. Baker and Chesterton form another formidable bowling duo in this game and Bakes will only need one or two to kickstart a collapse if they can get through Fletcher and Topham. Fletcher is the key to Epping's batting and has been all year as the most consistent opener in the comp behind Minney.

Both teams batting is their weakness, but Epping's is better as is their bowling depth and on their own turf will win easily in my opinion unless Baker goes mental, that is Mernda's only chance.

Good luck to all.

fisher;332560 said:
all you blokes bag the guy(keays) on this forum, but reality is when you see him all of you drop ya pants and bend over for him. So grow some balls and tell him to his face what you think of him. He will have a bigger heart then most of you blokes

so that is where he hides his heart in the back of his pants because that is the only thing that he has bigger than everyone else:D

The430king;331967 said:

Lessons taught that day Jimmy just Lessons. Ease up on the old square leg crap, front foot forward all day......hit the bad ones and just plainly play and miss at the good ones:D:D

milo kerrigan;332568 said:
so that is where he hides his heart in the back of his pants because that is the only thing that he has bigger than everyone else:D

LOL, see my comments below.

fisher;332560 said:
all you blokes bag the guy(keays) on this forum, but reality is when you see him all of you drop ya pants and bend over for him. So grow some balls and tell him to his face what you think of him. He will have a bigger heart then most of you blokes

Get over it Champ, if you had been around long enough you would find that most here have the utmost respect for Terry, most comments are just plainly in jest anything else would be ridiculas as he definatly has the runs on the board.

The430king;331967 said:

Come on now credit where credit is due. His partner at the other end played a big part in the win that day.

The430king;331967 said:

Oh You make me laugh "Tortured Genuis" you are quite happy to fling the crap that is lying around in your Baboon cage but not happy to talk about facts

1. You won a F grade batting average with a spanking average of 8.93 what a season!!!!
2. You were carried by your team to a Grand Final Win in H grade with a batting average of 2.50 and dropped plenty of catches at tea time trying to get off the ground first, it puzzles me how you got a game......oh thats right you were "Captain Courageous".
3.You where opening up for work on Monday morning at 7am but didn't get there till 9:30 because the "Human Highlight Reel" was out being a swordsman and telling everyone he would be right.
4.At least I have reflexes to play and miss outside off stump

I will give you the fact that your none turning spin got me out in the backyard ashes test series on numerous occasions, but someone should tell the umpire a tape ball doesn't straighten down the line.

Salvo I apoligise for "Mitchell Johnsoning" you on saturday

tongs;331770 said:
played against keays last year, he was struggling a bit to take a wicket. Largely due to skips. He then "tore" his hamstring just before tea, couldn't bowl any longer. Just before tea, we lost a couple of wickets. Keays bowled out the day! These mystery illness's and injuries are as baffling as shane doyle playing ones!

I'm sure we have all seen him do an injury then come back will a full puff of steam when there are wickets falling!

2008- minney c kemp b keays 13
2009- minney lbw keays 87 keays 31 overs 5-53
he obviously wasnt off for too long you dill
he got you lbw for 7 didnt he?

Sounds like a tiff at Tradelink this week Vilos and King????

You where NEVER getting up before 7am King for wrk....never mate.

fisher;332560 said:

CowCorner;332651 said:

No tiff just stating the facts and everyone knows I have carried the King on my back for the last year and thats why I'm crippled, 3 days work 5 hours off on works time for the big fella.

Its not my fault that no one remembers the King when he was the actual King of sport in the valley and about 70 kgs lighter

milo kerrigan;332568 said:

LOL, see my comments below.

fisher;332560 said:

Get over it Champ, if you had been around long enough you would find that most here have the utmost respect for Terry, most comments are just plainly in jest anything else would be ridiculas as he definatly has the runs on the board.

Vilos;332649 said:

Oh You make me laugh "Tortured Genuis" you are quite happy to fling the crap that is lying around in your Baboon cage but not happy to talk about facts

1. You won a F grade batting average with a spanking average of 8.93 what a season!!!!
2. You were carried by your team to a Grand Final Win in H grade with a batting average of 2.50 and dropped plenty of catches at tea time trying to get off the ground first, it puzzles me how you got a game......oh thats right you were "Captain Courageous".
3.You where opening up for work on Monday morning at 7am but didn't get there till 9:30 because the "Human Highlight Reel" was out being a swordsman and telling everyone he would be right.

I will give you the fact that your none turning spin got me out in the backyard ashes test series on numerous occasions, but someone should tell the umpire a tape ball doesn't straighten down the line.

Vilos, it's time for my right of reply. There are a couple of things you have missed out upon here.

1. The average missed a 1 in there, it was actually 81.78 pal and it was in D grade, not F.

2. Indeed i was skipper of that H Grade premiership side, but you didn't mention the fact that I took 15 wickets with the pill at an average of about 15 that year, that's why I was in the side, along with my exceptional slip catching for the year, even if they were poopas.

3. I haven't got much for Monday morning. I was indeed carving up the dance floor, being a swordsmen and geniune pantsman, but it has worked.

4. I never played and missed outside off stump because I was either smashing the ball out the park or seeing my pegs cartwheeling.

Pal, get your facts right before spreading vicious inneuendo on this forum. I think i'll have to send Mr Rentokil onto you. I'm coming after you Way Chuck, bwoody oaf.

The430king;331967 said:

CricketBox;332043 said:

Lower Eltham to win.

Why?

Epping to win

Why?

Good luck to all.

Great post yet again Box. I love reading these previews. Can't wait until your grand final preview and i think we'll need on for the medal.

CowCorner;332651 said:

No tiff just stating the facts and everyone knows I have carried the King on my back for the last year and thats why I'm crippled, 3 days work 5 hours off on works time for the big fella.

Its not my fault that no one remembers the King when he was the actual King of sport in the valley and about 70 kgs lighter

Vilos;332649 said:

Vilos, it's time for my right of reply. There are a couple of things you have missed out upon here.

1. The average missed a 1 in there, it was actually 81.78 pal and it was in D grade, not F.

2. Indeed i was skipper of that H Grade premiership side, but you didn't mention the fact that I took 15 wickets with the pill at an average of about 15 that year, that's why I was in the side, along with my exceptional slip catching for the year, even if they were poopas.

3. I haven't got much for Monday morning. I was indeed carving up the dance floor, being a swordsmen and geniune pantsman, but it has worked.

4. I never played and missed outside off stump because I was either smashing the ball out the park or seeing my pegs cartwheeling.

Pal, get your facts right before spreading vicious inneuendo on this forum. I think i'll have to send Mr Rentokil onto you. I'm coming after you Way Chuck, bwoody oaf.

CricketBox;332043 said:

Lower Eltham to win.

Why?

Epping to win

Why?

Good luck to all.

Great post yet again Box. I love reading these previews. Can't wait until your grand final preview and i think we'll need on for the medal.

Vilos;332824 said:

i duno were u blokes talk more rubbish on here or at the pub, bring back that noble bloke lower eltham had a few years back, good for cricket haha.

Semi Final Umpires:

David Moore
Chris Doupe
Nick Shearer
Barry Johnson

Wouldn't be my top 4, but here's hoping they all have a good one and the best teams win.

all right boys, this is how its goin to play this weekend. The one they call the rooster down at darebin will rip through these little rich daddies boys from lower eltham. And volpe will be setting the pitch ablaze

snowball17;333467 said:
i duno were u blokes talk more rubbish on here or at the pub, bring back that noble bloke lower eltham had a few years back, good for cricket haha.

You'd hate to see the s^&t we talk at the pub after 30 schoofters.

Vilos;332824 said:

creekers08/09;333142 said:
Anyone have any highlights for the year, from your club, other clubs?

Being from Lower Eltham, hopefully our highlight will come in a couple of weeks. But for now, it would have to be Whitchers cracking form this year. He's making batting look easy again, which is ominous for the teams we meet in the next couple of weeks. Other highlights are Burgs's classy innings last weekend and Scotty Coutts sub fielding in Round 2 after frayney breaking his wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back