Dvca - How Do We Make It Better - A Bigcricket Going Forward Forum

Re: DVCA - How do we make it better - A BigCricket going forward forum

absoluteglam;400925 said:
whenever a game is "over" and one side cannot win, the losing team (and sometimes the winning team) are so keen to get off the ground and have a beer that the match becomes a joke

1. Whats wrong with that?

2. This decision should be 100% up to the competing captains, -not umpires or administrators.

3. Are you a players wife? Cricket = Early finish = BEER

legend of a bear;401928 said:
1. Whats wrong with that?

2. This decision should be 100% up to the competing captains, -not umpires or administrators.

3. Are you a players wife? Cricket = Early finish = BEER

1. I suppose if the decision to end the match is no longer available, then nobody will worry about teams being kept out in the field, etc.

2. Maybe, can see your point.

3. No, not a players wife and enjoy a beer more than most, but Saturday night and Sunday generally get a work out. Are you one of those 50+ fossils that have to head home at 6:05 on the handbrake's orders?:):):)

absoluteglam;401931 said:
1. I suppose if the decision to end the match is no longer available, then nobody will worry about teams being kept out in the field, etc.

3. No, not a players wife and enjoy a beer more than most, but Saturday night and Sunday generally get a work out. Are you one of those 50+ fossils that have to head home at 6:05 on the handbrake's orders?:):):)[/QUOTE]

He's picked you in one Bear:p

Bundoora;401933 said:
absoluteglam;401931 said:

3. No, not a players wife and enjoy a beer more than most, but Saturday night and Sunday generally get a work out. Are you one of those 50+ fossils that have to head home at 6:05 on the handbrake's orders?:):):)[/QUOTE]

He's picked you in one Bear:p

Yeah, thats me.

6.05am...cos the Booze Bus crews knock-off at 6!!

Noticed the DVCA have its proposed rule changes up and no mention of top age juniors playing Friday nights or changing to odd age groups. If this is true then clubs such as Greensborough, Montmorency and possibly Mill Park and Macleod are off to the HDCA U17 comp. There is probably others as well. Why do teams want to play HDCA 17s on Fridays. Heres a few reasons

1. Not all kids are ready to step up to seniors so 17s gives them another year in juniors to develop.
2. Friday nights means you play against District, sub-district, APS and AGS players who play on saturdays.
3. Therefore you are competing and testing yourself against the best juniors in the area.
4. Playing Fridays means less restrictions in seniors on saturday for DVCA U16 players.
5. If you want to play seniors then you aren't playing 2 games in a row and being totally stuffed at the end of the day.
6. Ask any parent and they will tell you given the chance, they prefer Friday nights so they can sleep in on Saturday mornings.

So can anyone tell me whether this is up for voting.

Goliath;402429 said:
Noticed the DVCA have its proposed rule changes up and no mention of top age juniors playing Friday nights or changing to odd age groups. If this is true then clubs such as Greensborough, Montmorency and possibly Mill Park and Macleod are off to the HDCA U17 comp. There is probably others as well. Why do teams want to play HDCA 17s on Fridays. Heres a few reasons

1. Not all kids are ready to step up to seniors so 17s gives them another year in juniors to develop.
2. Friday nights means you play against District, sub-district, APS and AGS players who play on saturdays.
3. Therefore you are competing and testing yourself against the best juniors in the area.
4. Playing Fridays means less restrictions in seniors on saturday for DVCA U16 players.
5. If you want to play seniors then you aren't playing 2 games in a row and being totally stuffed at the end of the day.
6. Ask any parent and they will tell you given the chance, they prefer Friday nights so they can sleep in on Saturday mornings.

So can anyone tell me whether this is up for voting.

Yes, I suggest you call your Club and express your opinion. It has been raised but only by one Club if you are so passionate about it you probably needed to do something earlier and gather support.

4 piece balls are a must. It rewards good bowling and batting evenly but the ball must be a kookaburra! The platypus balls are terrible so when it's time to vote, vote for 4 piece kookas in 1st and 2nd xi.
I think the only people that don't want it in are the people that are washed up cricketers or who don't have the talent.

riversidestrangler;404289 said:
4 piece balls are a must. It rewards good bowling and batting evenly but the ball must be a kookaburra! The platypus balls are terrible so when it's time to vote, vote for 4 piece kookas in 1st and 2nd xi.
I think the only people that don't want it in are the people that are washed up cricketers or who don't have the talent.

This must get through. It is only for the top grades, so it won't effect anyone in the lower grades. But playing with a two piece Platypus ball in our top grades is embarrassing. If we want to be a "Premier Competition" then we must use better balls. Kookaburra 4 piece for the top grades and Kookaburra 2 piece for the lower grades.
Platypus balls are crap!They lose their shape too easily and lose their shine too quickly. You get what you pay for.

TGAT;404290 said:
This must get through. It is only for the top grades, so it won't effect anyone in the lower grades. But playing with a two piece Platypus ball in our top grades is embarrassing. If we want to be a "Premier Competition" then we must use better balls. Kookaburra 4 piece for the top grades and Kookaburra 2 piece for the lower grades.
Platypus balls are crap!They lose their shape too easily and lose their shine too quickly. You get what you pay for.
Firstly - let me make it clear i have no opinion on whether we should move from 2 piece to 4 pc balls. I have played Jika/DVCA cricket for 30 years with a 2 pc ball.

Players who can swing the 2 pc will still swing the 4pc - maybe not as much but sometimes a little swing is more dangerous than a lot.
The bouncy wickets & a lack of patience is what gets wickets in DVCA - not so much the swing.

I have also used the Kookaburra 2pc ball in Jika and yes agree are a better ball.

Now could I ask, from all of the people making comments on this website about the balls, how many are in a position at their club that are required to raise money for their clubs???

Also for people who dont know - Bundoora as one of the bigger clubs, will have little trouble in finding the extra $$ for the new balls if we go that way - so this is not swaying my opinion either way.

I am raising this point on behalf of the many clubs who might not be so financial.

last year Bundoora fielded 6 senior teams and 5 juniors. Our spend on the $24.50 platypus 2 pc balls was just over $6500 - including all match & practice balls. I am not sure where this sits with other clubs.

I will outline some approximations to look at below:

Assume 1/3 of this (say $2200) is spent on the top 3 grades who will switch to 4pc.

The platypus 4 pc will add 40% to the costs of balls to our club (so +$890). ($25 to $35)
lower grades & juniors remains with current 2pc.

The move to kookaburra will be more severe.
For the top 1/3 - add 80% to ball costs (+$1800) ($25.5 to $45)assuming we use the tier 2 ball.
Plus add 20% costs to the bottom 2/3 (+$800). ($25 to $30)

So in summary for Bundoora - the move to kookabuura 4pc will add approx $2600 costs per season.
Platpus only $800.

These number are approximations only but i think paints a picture of the costs involved. Smaller clubs have less balls to buy so expense is less but so are their incomes.
Larger clubs the opposite.

Again not swaying my opinion either way - I will vote for the 4pc and go with flow on the ball type. Clubs just need to know the facts about what they are voting on.

riversidestrangler;404289 said:

TGAT;404290 said:

Next Wednesday the Clubs vote at AGM, the vote will firstly be for the introduction of the 4 piece for BS, MS, B and C Grades, then a vote on U16. If one or both get passed, then we vote on either Platypus or Kooka's 4 piece.

I am 100% with you two, Kooka's is the way to go, I have spoken to past users of 4 piece and they reckon there is NO COMPARISON. Kookaburra is the ball we need.

I suggest you speak to your Prez/Delegate and advise them which way you would like them to vote. I know which way I will be.

THE PREZ;404296 said:
Firstly - let me make it clear i have no opinion on whether we should move from 2 piece to 4 pc balls. I have played Jika/DVCA cricket for 30 years with a 2 pc ball.

Players who can swing the 2 pc will still swing the 4pc - maybe not as much but sometimes a little swing is more dangerous than a lot.
The bouncy wickets & a lack of patience is what gets wickets in DVCA - not so much the swing.

I have also used the Kookaburra 2pc ball in Jika and yes agree are a better ball.

Now could I ask, from all of the people making comments on this website about the balls, how many are in a position at their club that are required to raise money for their clubs???

Also for people who dont know - Bundoora as one of the bigger clubs, will have little trouble in finding the extra $$ for the new balls if we go that way - so this is not swaying my opinion either way.

I am raising this point on behalf of the many clubs who might not be so financial.

last year Bundoora fielded 6 senior teams and 5 juniors. Our spend on the $24.50 platypus 2 pc balls was just over $6500 - including all match & practice balls. I am not sure where this sits with other clubs.

I will outline some approximations to look at below:

Assume 1/3 of this (say $2200) is spent on the top 3 grades who will switch to 4pc.

The platypus 4 pc will add 40% to the costs of balls to our club (so +$890). ($25 to $35)
lower grades & juniors remains with current 2pc.

The move to kookaburra will be more severe.
For the top 1/3 - add 80% to ball costs (+$1800) ($25.5 to $45)assuming we use the tier 2 ball.
Plus add 20% costs to the bottom 2/3 (+$800). ($25 to $30)

So in summary for Bundoora - the move to kookabuura 4pc will add approx $2600 costs per season.
Platpus only $800.

These number are approximations only but i think paints a picture of the costs involved. Smaller clubs have less balls to buy so expense is less but so are their incomes.
Larger clubs the opposite.

Again not swaying my opinion either way - I will vote for the 4pc and go with flow on the ball type. Clubs just need to know the facts about what they are voting on.

Good post.

Just been voted and anounced Barclay shield will be using 4 piece kookaburras this year. Fantastic news for the compition.

Now nothing can stop the riverside strangler!!!! :rolleyes:

riversidestrangler;404733 said:
Just been voted and anounced Barclay shield will be using 4 piece kookaburras this year. Fantastic news for the compition.

Now nothing can stop the riverside strangler!!!! :rolleyes:

If you cant perform with both types of balls, then you are a pretty mediocre cricketer!

cold case;404782 said:
If you cant perform with both types of balls, then you are a pretty mediocre cricketer!

Which tier of ball did they go with??

Premium or Standard, makes a difference cost wise to all clubs, the top tier / premium ball is about 20% more expensive.

cold case;404782 said:

Haven't used a two piece balls in a game since I was in juniors...

Two piece balls allow mediocre bowlers to "blend in" with the quality bowlers. You will find out who the decent bowlers are. You will be surprised how many of the so called quality swing bowlers all of a sudden can't swing it. And just wait and see what happens when they stop swinging it... It becomes utter shit that is being bowled and it will be dealt with accordingly.

Quality 4 piece balls reward good bowlers more than a two piece ball ever could.
As a bowler If you gave me the choice of bowling with a 2 piece or a 4 piece ball I would choose the 4 piece every time. I prefer to swing a 4 piece ball 6 inches but late In The delivery than to swing a 2 piece ball 4 feet but out of the hand.... :eek:

As a bat I would prefer to face a 4 piece ball, why? Because it is going to make for better cricket, I am still going to be just as concerned if not more concerned with the quality bowlers bowling with it (it's a lot easier to Nick a ball that moves 6 inches than one that moves 4 feet) but when the mediocre bowlers come on they will be dealt with accordingly! :cool:

This is the same for both teams and all players. It makes for a stronger, more interesting and competitive compitition.
Good players will still be good players and the players that aren't that good will get found out. Maybe that is what some people are scared of...:rolleyes:

riversidestrangler;404810 said:
Haven't used a two piece balls in a game since I was in juniors...

Two piece balls allow mediocre bowlers to "blend in" with the quality bowlers. You will find out who the decent bowlers are. You will be surprised how many of the so called quality swing bowlers all of a sudden can't swing it. And just wait and see what happens when they stop swinging it... It becomes utter shit that is being bowled and it will be dealt with accordingly.

Quality 4 piece balls reward good bowlers more than a two piece ball ever could.
As a bowler If you gave me the choice of bowling with a 2 piece or a 4 piece ball I would choose the 4 piece every time. I prefer to swing a 4 piece ball 6 inches but late In The delivery than to swing a 2 piece ball 4 feet but out of the hand.... :eek:

As a bat I would prefer to face a 4 piece ball, why? Because it is going to make for better cricket, I am still going to be just as concerned if not more concerned with the quality bowlers bowling with it (it's a lot easier to Nick a ball that moves 6 inches than one that moves 4 feet) but when the mediocre bowlers come on they will be dealt with accordingly! :cool:

This is the same for both teams and all players. It makes for a stronger, more interesting and competitive compitition.
Good players will still be good players and the players that aren't that good will get found out. Maybe that is what some people are scared of...:rolleyes:

From the sounds of it you have a reasonably high opinion of yourself, are you a "quality" bowler that will rise to the top with a four piece ball?? I think you will find that the medium pacers will find it difficult at first but if you get your length right and keep the seem upright you can bowl some excellent delivieries. So I've heard anyway, I got hit over the fence by Burgoyne last year so my bowling is obviously quite pathetic.

All I can say is that having four piece balls introduced into Barclay & Money Shield this season is the best thing to happen in the DVCA for some time. It will only enhance our Comp's reputation even further.

absoluteglam;404866 said:
I got hit over the fence by Burgoyne last year.....

The fact you are admitting this in public is your first step and admirable. I am sure the psychological scars will heel. Chin up. ;):D;):D

absoluteglam;404866 said:
From the sounds of it you have a reasonably high opinion of yourself, are you a "quality" bowler that will rise to the top with a four piece ball?? I think you will find that the medium pacers will find it difficult at first but if you get your length right and keep the seem upright you can bowl some excellent delivieries. So I've heard anyway, I got hit over the fence by Burgoyne last year so my bowling is obviously quite pathetic.

You have to be kidding. Burgs hitting anything out of the park is quite incredible.:D

Just noticed something on MyCricket. A Kathryn Ennor is penciled in to Umpire B Grade this weekend. I have seen a couple of ladies umpire quite well in the local footy and am really interested in how it will go in local cricket.

Personally I am all for it, we need umpires regardless of sex. I am sure she will be given the respect she deserves. Kudos to the DVCA Umps (first and only one of those I will probably give this year...:D)

Although would be interesting seeing Cold Case wondering in to bowl sucking his stomach in:p.......or Tongs taking gel and a mirror out to ensure he hair looks good (PREZ, don't need to worry about that...;))

Back