Dvca - How Do We Make It Better - A Bigcricket Going Forward Forum

Just noticed something on MyCricket. A Kathryn Ennor is penciled in to Umpire B Grade this weekend. I have seen a couple of ladies umpire quite well in the local footy and am really interested in how it will go in local cricket.

Personally I am all for it, we need umpires regardless of sex. I am sure she will be given the respect she deserves. Kudos to the DVCA Umps (first and only one of those I will probably give this year...:D)

Although would be interesting seeing Cold Case wondering in to bowl sucking his stomach in:p.......or Tongs taking gel and a mirror out to ensure he hair looks good (PREZ, don't need to worry about that...;))

Great Post CowCorner.....I believe she has played Womens Cricket all her life and has a good knowledge of the game. The DVCA should be congratulated on such a move.

Just had a look and have realised she's umpiring our game against Lower Eltham.

Will be happy to give a full report after the weekends game.

Not sure of the best place to post this, so will put it on here.
Just noticed that C Grade fixture has been changed, nothing was noted on the DVCA website, and the Sunday game that was scheduled for Jan 30 and Feb 6 has been moved to Nov 28 and Dec 5.
This disrupts all plans for some clubs having $1,000 draws and functions that have already been locked in to social calendars.
Surely something like this should have been done a little more transparently.

Surely it makes more sense to play Money Shield and C grade on the same weekends, as these grades are basically the same sides 1st's and 2nd's.

The rational is that they are trying to limit the amount of weekends that we play on, and limit Sunday playing to one weekend per grade, but to make a change to the fixture only 3 weeks before a game is ridiculous.

Makes perfect sense to me to have just left it alone and play Money and C together.;

Surely it makes more sense to play Money Shield and C grade on the same weekends, as these grades are basically the same sides 1st's and 2nd's.

The rational is that they are trying to limit the amount of weekends that we play on, and limit Sunday playing to one weekend per grade, but to make a change to the fixture only 3 weeks before a game is ridiculous.

Makes perfect sense to me to have just left it alone and play Money and C together.;

Had my bucks night planned for Sat night Dec 4th - now playing on the Sunday :-(
Club golf day - usually first sunday in Feb each year. Was rescheduled to 2nd week (13th) due to Sunday fixture on the 6th. Now with the changes guess what... the first week is now clear and we play on the 13th !!!
Understand the DVCA rationale - but F.....n highly inconvenient changes.

Interested to hear people's thought on our new one day competition?

Playing one day games every second Saturday...

Really must get rid of the all weather decks, there no good for cricket. The old flat decks are more true and reward good cricket. They are only around to make life easier for the councils.

Really must get rid of the all weather decks, there no good for cricket. The old flat decks are more true and reward good cricket. They are only around to make life easier for the councils.

You must be kidding ICEMAN, the all weather decks are a much greater reflection of good allround cricket. The old 'flat' decks would rip a ball to bits within 20 overs, and leave the rest of the day for batsmen (which you clearly are) to carve up and make scores well in excess of 300.
That is why the rule of a new ball at 200 was brought in, as they could not last the 80 overs of being bowled on sandpaper.
The all weather decks reward good bowling, and make a batsmen think before he plonks his foot down the pitch and swings.

You must be kidding ICEMAN, the all weather decks are a much greater reflection of good allround cricket. The old 'flat' decks would rip a ball to bits within 20 overs, and leave the rest of the day for batsmen (which you clearly are) to carve up and make scores well in excess of 300.
That is why the rule of a new ball at 200 was brought in, as they could not last the 80 overs of being bowled on sandpaper.
The all weather decks reward good bowling, and make a batsmen think before he plonks his foot down the pitch and swings.

Hahaha, mate your argument was on the money but you presumed (clearly) that ICEMAN was a batter......lucky to have hit 10 in the last 15 years...so his opinion was of an opening bowler that has 11 tattooed on him arse. :D

Pushing this thread to get some more discussion.

For those that listen to the radio on Saturday mornings, the BigCricket forum was quite a discussion. Mostly due to a patheticly weak post by a member that has been removed.

The DVCA should not look at forums like this as a bad thing, if we had appropriate moderators and more people willing to discuss things in and about the DVCA each week it will be excellent. I like others am also on BigFooty and mostly whilst people have passion towards their team and club there is general fun banter, lots of discussion and great fun. I reckon that this can get back to that, AND assist the DVCA along the way.

As per my Money Sheild posting in reference to new clubs applying to join DVCA from HDCA.Forget Barclay and Money setups as they are and create 2 top divisions with each division having its own lower grades. Not sure how many new teams joining but you could have maybe 14 teams in each division. This will make it easier for all clubs to recruit players and would strengthen the DVCA. This would be the fairest way to represent the skill level of all DVCA clubs if 3 or more new teams join. I know its hard but think whats best for the comp and not just whats best for your club. Whatever happens it at least makes for an interesting off season.

Good news out of the AGM tonight - The DVCA has a president for season 2012/13 in Joe Flemming.

Rule changes: All Grand Finals and Semi Finals will be played as per any home and away season game. Only difference being they'll be Sat/Sun with the next Sat as a reserve day.

Playing dates will be out in mid August.

Balls will remain the same as last season - Kookaburra have an arrangement with DVCA for a 3 year period.

Not much else to report.

Good news out of the AGM tonight - The DVCA has a president for season 2012/13 in Joe Flemming.

Rule changes: All Grand Finals and Semi Finals will be played as per any home and away season game. Only difference being they'll be Sat/Sun with the next Sat as a reserve day.

Balls will remain the same as last season - Kookaburra have an arrangement with DVCA for a 3 year period.

Not much else to report.

Nice update Cuzz, Joey has been in the role for a while, but good to see it made official.
Most other things as expected, looking forward to a good season.
Junior Executive committee will need a power of help, hopefully some people can put their hands up to help out.

Not much else to report.

Thanks for the update.

What do you mean about the SF/GF being the same as any other home and away game?

What do we all think about the contract with Kookaburra? The question I have is, the DVCA get sponsorship money out of the arrangement, what do the clubs actually get?

Fantastic by Joe to step up, he did a lot of work as the makeshift president last year, so good that its official now. Best of luck to him, lets hope he gets the support and respect a president should.

Any other new members to the DVCA committee/executive?

Thanks for the update.

What do you mean about the SF/GF being the same as any other home and away game?

What do we all think about the contract with Kookaburra? The question I have is, the DVCA get sponsorship money out of the arrangement, what do the clubs actually get?

Fantastic by Joe to step up, he did a lot of work as the makeshift president last year, so good that its official now. Best of luck to him, lets hope he gets the support and respect a president should.

Any other new members to the DVCA committee/executive?

Tongs, it means that all SF/GF will be played over 160 overs, and a finish will be reached, rather than over the 120 overs that we have played them in the past.

Tongs, it means that all SF/GF will be played over 160 overs, and a finish will be reached, rather than over the 120 overs that we have played them in the past.

Interesting. I know that I am of the minority (as proven by the vote) But i actually liked the longer Grand Finals. I think the 120 overs was too long, but would like to see 100 overs each. So that the final goes Saturday, Sunday, Saturday with the second Sunday as a spare day. Each team would bat for about a day and a half, and if no time is lost, and both teams bat their overs that would mean that the final finishes around tea on day 3, leaving a good celebration.

I didn't hate it, but find it a bit strange. I know the Shield final extends a day, but that is to try to achieve a first innings result. It was very very strange in the Grand Final just past how it was set up.

Interesting. I know that I am of the minority (as proven by the vote) But i actually liked the longer Grand Finals. I think the 120 overs was too long, but would like to see 100 overs each. So that the final goes Saturday, Sunday, Saturday with the second Sunday as a spare day. Each team would bat for about a day and a half, and if no time is lost, and both teams bat their overs that would mean that the final finishes around tea on day 3, leaving a good celebration.

I didn't hate it, but find it a bit strange. I know the Shield final extends a day, but that is to try to achieve a first innings result. It was very very strange in the Grand Final just past how it was set up.

It was the result of a long drawn-out historical process.
Originally in both SF & GF there was no limit on how long the first team could bat.
Then in SF it was limited to all of Day 1 and an hour on Day 2.
Then in SF it was limited to the normal 80 overs and in GF to 120 overs (ie about a day and a half).
And now, finally, it is 80 overs each as in home and away 2-dayers.
Each step in the process was a compromise between those wanting an unlimited match (giving the higher team the chance to "win" the Premiership via bad weather or playing for a draw), and those who wanted a fair contest between the 2 teams on the same basis as they had played under all season.

Not much else to report.

I'm sure that Riverside and the Watsy RSL will be happy with the new president, it keeps their sweetheart deal going ;)

Good on him for taking on the job, its a thankless role.

Back