Dvca - How Do We Make It Better - A Bigcricket Going Forward Forum

Yeah mate I understand the process, but last year we were limited to 80 overs in the first innings (I believe we probably would've batted into day 2 if now, but that is arguable), then had a day left over to allow the opportunity a second innings result. Was the strangest set up I have been involved in. Pleased with the result though!

It was the result of a long drawn-out historical process.
Originally in both SF & GF there was no limit on how long the first team could bat.
Then in SF it was limited to all of Day 1 and an hour on Day 2.
Then in SF it was limited to the normal 80 overs and in GF to 120 overs (ie about a day and a half).
And now, finally, it is 80 overs each as in home and away 2-dayers.
Each step in the process was a compromise between those wanting an unlimited match (giving the higher team the chance to "win" the Premiership via bad weather or playing for a draw), and those who wanted a fair contest between the 2 teams on the same basis as they had played under all season.

The Grand Final last year ended up being a bit of a farce, IMO.

I preferred it to be 120 overs per side across 3 days. It made the event a bit of a showcase. It's like the Sheffield Shield being played over 5 days instead of 4. Adds to the prestige. But, having said that, I'm happy to see it as it is now - 80 overs each across Sat/Sun of one weekend with the next Sat a reserve day. As opposed to what happened last year. Personally, I'll be praying for bad weather on one of the first two days to allow for a bigger celebration for the winning teams on the second Saturday night!

A good result for the rule change. But it's one that could have been left alone about 2 or 3 steps ago.

I would assume whoever wins would have just as big a party on the Sunday as a Saturday. LECC would anyway!

The Grand Final last year ended up being a bit of a farce, IMO.

I preferred it to be 120 overs per side across 3 days. It made the event a bit of a showcase. It's like the Sheffield Shield being played over 5 days instead of 4. Adds to the prestige. But, having said that, I'm happy to see it as it is now - 80 overs each across Sat/Sun of one weekend with the next Sat a reserve day. As opposed to what happened last year. Personally, I'll be praying for bad weather on one of the first two days to allow for a bigger celebration for the winning teams on the second Saturday night!

A good result for the rule change. But it's one that could have been left alone about 2 or 3 steps ago.

I would assume whoever wins would have just as big a party on the Sunday as a Saturday. LECC would anyway!

Poys, you need to get your head out of your arse and realise its the DVCA not the LECA. Yes you won the flag last year, but its not all about what you think would be best for you and your club. Its about whats for the betterment of the whole comp. I am sure most guys on here and members of the DVCA would like a format whereby a GF finishes on a Saturday rather than 6-7pm on a Sunday.

Poys, you need to get your head out of your arse and realise its the DVCA not the LECA. Yes you won the flag last year, but its not all about what you think would be best for you and your club. Its about whats for the betterment of the whole comp. I am sure most guys on here and members of the DVCA would like a format whereby a GF finishes on a Saturday rather than 6-7pm on a Sunday.

Ah Tongs, in an ideal world, we would play Sat / Sat, and party bloody hard on the Saturday, but there are just not enough weekends in the season to allow us to do that. I know you like to keep things traditional, but take the Monday off and get on it, or as many of our blokes did in the two's a couple of years back, take a week off. They do not come around very often at all!!

Ah Tongs, in an ideal world, we would play Sat / Sat, and party bloody hard on the Saturday, but there are just not enough weekends in the season to allow us to do that. I know you like to keep things traditional, but take the Monday off and get on it, or as many of our blokes did in the two's a couple of years back, take a week off. They do not come around very often at all!!

I understand what you're saying but If we are able to play Sunday, why can't we do a Saturday - Saturday Grand Final with the second Sunday being the spare day? It will create a bigger and better spectacle. Especially if you played the lower grades Saturday/Sunday. You would pull a massive crowd the following week at the A grade final.

I understand what you're saying but If we are able to play Sunday, why can't we do a Saturday - Saturday Grand Final with the second Sunday being the spare day? It will create a bigger and better spectacle. Especially if you played the lower grades Saturday/Sunday. You would pull a massive crowd the following week at the A grade final.

Agree. The GF should finish on the second Saturday, no matter what the format even though I think an 80 overs a side GF is crap.

I'd prefer the 120 overs each side, sick of everyone saying it should be like the rest of the season, the GF is NOT just another match.

Imagine if it were 80 overs a side a couple of years ago................Mernda would have gone back to back, no one wants to see that. ;)

Agree. The GF should finish on the second Saturday, no matter what the format even though I think an 80 overs a side GF is crap.

I'd prefer the 120 overs each side, sick of everyone saying it should be like the rest of the season, the GF is NOT just another match.

Imagine if it were 80 overs a side a couple of years ago................Mernda would have gone back to back, no one wants to see that. ;)

Agreed - but it could have been worse, didn't Plenty win 3 in a row under the old system?

I think playing Sat/Sun two weeks in a row can create a level of unfairness. Not everyone is fit and young these days, if you have to bowl first and back up on the second day can be a bit hard on some players and doesn't give the grand final the best representation of both sides.

The "why are we going backwards" line was trotted out before the vote to revert back to the 120 overs across 3 days GF's.

Surely a Sat/Sun 80 over game is the more backward option?

Not sure why people/clubs wouldn't want to make the GF a showcase event played over a more challenging conditions?

The "why are we going backwards" line was trotted out before the vote to revert back to the 120 overs across 3 days GF's.

Surely a Sat/Sun 80 over game is the more backward option?

Not sure why people/clubs wouldn't want to make the GF a showcase event played over a more challenging conditions?

Spot on Cuzz.

I thought the 3 day, 120 a side was perfect. Was a bit more of a challenge, gave both sies a chance to redeem themselves if they played a bad day of cricket and finished on the second Saturday.

As I've said before, the GF is not just another match, it should be special.

If the rest of the guys in the comp want a Saturday finish, great for them, they can feel free to come on here and post that. Just like I can post that I frankly couldn't care which night, if LECC won a flag we'd celebrate it just as hard either night.

For real bro?

I think playing Sat/Sun two weeks in a row can create a level of unfairness. Not everyone is fit and young these days, if you have to bowl first and back up on the second day can be a bit hard on some players and doesn't give the grand final the best representation of both sides.

Wow, if every one of you have such strong beliefs, you should either step up and advise your clubs, or better still, become a delegate. It was clear at the past two DVCA AGM's that no clubs were in favour of the 120 over a side GF, and all voted very heavily in favour of the Sat / Sun, with a Sat reserve day.

And here I was thinking it was just me with my head up my arse, nice to know I've got company. Surely Eltham voted for the Saturday/Saturday grand final? Surely?

Wow, if every one of you have such strong beliefs, you should either step up and advise your clubs, or better still, become a delegate. It was clear at the past two DVCA AGM's that no clubs were in favour of the 120 over a side GF, and all voted very heavily in favour of the Sat / Sun, with a Sat reserve day.

Yes, the arguments have been going back and forth for more than 30 years.
And now the issue is finally settled.

Are you serious?

I'd re-phrase that as "not enough" clubs were in favour of the 120 over a side GF. Only one vote under the 2/3 majority and the proposal falls over. From where I was sitting there were more than a handful of clubs that were in favour, just not enough to get it across the line.

The only thing the chatter on here proves is that we are a minority when it comes to the general DVCA population. Even the very few people that post in this forum can't agree on what system is best.

And simply 'becoming a delegate' means ************ all if the bloke/s in charge at your own club want you to vote differently.

Make no mistake, the clubs certainly have the power in this competition. The very strong recommendation coming from the Exec was for a 120 over a side GF, meaning the majority of clubs would have been put out if they had their way.

Call it a win for democracy.

This seems a tricky situation to please all but the answer is simple. How many sat/sun games do we play during season? 0 unless making up for rain. So why have a sat/sun gf? Even the semi should be played over 2 weeks. The advantage to the team batting 1st is way too big. In 08 when mernda won we batted 104 overs. Never gave stars a hope. But if it was only 80 or what I recommend, 90 each in the gf (just start at midday) and play it over 2 Saturdays as we do through season, it becomes more even. Don't get me wrong I'm not handing back flag but why do we want to change the whole thing just for a gf? Too make it mire if a showcase have all lower grades finish the week before so the 2nd sat is barclay and money only. By the way box, why does it bother you if mernda went back to back? If good enough so be it. As a cricket purist I admire plenty for what they did and the great bundoora and creek sides in 90s for how often they got there!

17 of the 28 clubs represented at the AGM (poor form from Epping CC not attending) voted in favour of the 120 over GF coming back in! How can you say no clubs are in favour??
These 17 clubs then had to vote YES to the new 2 day 80 over GF to save the comp from last years ridiculous GF situation continuing.
Clubs really need to take the whole voting process more serious. Some delegates didn't even know what they were/were not voting for in the 120 over GF vote - stupid really when it has an impact on what 17 other clubs wanted!! There were hands going up and then back down again during the count!
If clubs want to continue to have some sort of power in rule changes - then they need to sort their s**t out! Otherwise the rules committee should justg decide!
whichever way you look at it, the clubs voted in what they have all wanted for years.......160 over GF, SF, same playing conditions as we play all season, now next year we just need to put up a RCP to make all finals sat/sat, inc semi, with 2nd week sunday a reserve day.

Back