Field Settings for Leg-Spinners

The questions were easy enough but the last one did not give details about the pitch hence I went on the attack when they were looking for the draw with 2 wickets left which anyone would rightly do. The quiz then said that attacking on a club level pitch that is low and slow number is not the way to go (so the batsman would just lunge forward and kill the spin)...if they can and will block anything my offspinner will bowl then why would I bowl him at all? I guess it is a quiz leading to a subscription so I guess it can't say well done and then recommend that you don't subscribe!

Not too sure if I'd use it but I'd imagine it would be helpful for getting the brain going again ahead of the start of a season, it was nice to do something different though.

Here's an idea - if you follow this link to my main blog - http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2010/12/field-settings-for-leg-spinners.html you'll find a jpeg template for illustrating field settings. Download the file to your own computer and then open it in Paint which is a really easy program to use found on all computers as far as I'm aware. Use the 'View' - 'Zoom' - 'Custom' - '200%' commands to get the image to a workable size and then using the paint brush tool and the colour palette in paint to select your colours indicate your filed positions as I have in the blog above and in the next post.

You'll then need to have a blog or an on-line image storing account where your file can be uploaded and therefore have a http address assigned to it automatically. That's needed in order to paste your image in the forum here. (I think that's how it works)?

We can then share ideas and examples on field settings and plans.
Hi Dave, what field would you set for a left handed batsman who doesn't want to come down the wicket, but he is very strong square of the wicket and he can play from his crease well. And what line would you bowl. And what do you think your plan would be? Thanks.

Hi Dave, what field would you set for a left handed batsman who doesn't want to come down the wicket, but he is very strong square of the wicket and he can play from his crease well. And what line would you bowl. And what do you think your plan would be? Thanks.

For a leggie turning it into him? I would probably pitch the ball up outside off trying to make him cover drive 5 balls out of 6. Occasionally bowl one slightly quicker and fuller at middle stump to keep him honest, and that should also set up your googly/slider.

Field wise I would have:

slip
backward point/deep gully
point
cover
mid off
mid on
midwicket
forward square leg
backward square leg

Theory:
Having a deep gully, a point, and a cover should cut off his favourite shot square of the wicket. The gap at extra cover might tempt him to drive against the spin. If he gets frustrated and tries to force a cut or cover drive, the slip and gully will get catching chances.

Other than that, the ring field cuts off his easy singles and forces him to hit over the top; without leaving his crease to get to the pitch this could be risky.

Making it more attacking: on a sticky track bring midwicket and cover in closer. on a hard track bring backward square leg into either leg gully or second slip.

Making it more defensive: point and forward square leg can be dropped to the boundary if necessary.

For a leggie turning it into him? I would probably pitch the ball up outside off trying to make him cover drive 5 balls out of 6. Occasionally bowl one slightly quicker and fuller at middle stump to keep him honest, and that should also set up your googly/slider.

Field wise I would have:

slip
point
cover
mid off
mid on
midwicket
forward square leg
backward square leg

Theory:
Having a deep gully, a point, and a cover should cut off his favourite shot square of the wicket. The gap at extra cover might tempt him to drive against the spin. If he gets frustrated and tries to force a cut or cover drive, the slip and gully will get catching chances.

Other than that, the ring field cuts off his easy singles and forces him to hit over the top; without leaving his crease to get to the pitch this could be risky.

Making it more attacking: on a sticky track bring midwicket and cover in closer. on a hard track bring backward square leg into either leg gully or second slip.

Making it more defensive: point and forward square leg can be dropped to the boundary if necessary.
Thanks a lot!! Really good! I'll try this.

Yeah take notice of SLA says, he's got far more experience than me!

Field wise I would have:

slip
point
cover
mid off
mid on
midwicket
forward square leg
backward square leg

Theory:

What field would you have set when you first come in to bowl to a right hand batsman that you have never seen before?

What field would you have set when you first come in to bowl to a right hand batsman that you have never seen before?

hard to say, depends on the format, depends on the pitch, depends on the situation.

Also it depends on the bowler, whether he sticks to leg breaks and sliders or likes to regularly mix in a googly.

hard to say, depends on the format, depends on the pitch, depends on the situation.

Also it depends on the bowler, whether he sticks to leg breaks and sliders or likes to regularly mix in a googly.
SLA 50 over game, flat wicket, 1/60 after 15 and bowling mainly leg breaks with the occasional variation.

I suppose there are two ways of approaching it.

a) figure out how and where to bowl to get the batsman out with a categoric bowled/lbw/stumped/caught behind dismissal, and then put fielders where you think the ball will go to stop him scoring runs whilst you're trying to do this.

b) figure out how and where to bowl to stop the batsman scoring runs, and then put fielders where you think the catches will come once he gets frustrated.

I tend to favour the first approach, but other bowlers often find the second approach more effective.

As a leg spinner what field would you set to a batsman like Ricky Ponting in a test match, on the WACA? And how would you be looking to get him out?

Back