Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

mas cambios

Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

Fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has been banned for five years by the Pakistan Cricket Board following a disciplinary hearing in Rawalpindi

From the BBC.

Wow, that is tough action by the PCB, although Akhtar has been walking a fine line for a long while now. At 32, that's his career over, apart from the IPL and domestic (though I'm not sure many teams would take him).

Saying all that, I expect this to rumble for a bit as there has to be an appeal etc. If it is the end then it's the end of a wasted career.

Re: Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

He takes drugs and beats up his team mate with a bat but gets away with it. He criticizes PCB and gets banned for 5 years. :eek:hmy: It should have been done long ago tbh.

Finally! Nice decision by the PCB I guess, you may call it a tough action by the PCB, but really, Shoaib has had a lot of disciplinary problems from taking drugs to beating a teammate in the locker room to speaking against the PCB to another discipline problem in a domestic match which ruled him out of the entire pentangular cup. Can't say he didn't deserve this, though it will most certainly be the end of one of the world's fastest bowlers...

I think the beating of Asif with a bat really should have been the incident that lead to a 5 year ban but you can't say he hasn't been warned in the past.

Hey man i have to disagree with what you say, i mean in every sport, every country, every player does something wrong. Shoaib akhtar has been one of the best bowlers pakistan has ever had and for him to be punished this way for simply speaking his mind out is riduculous. If the PCB is willing to give him 5 years for critizing them, than harbajan should have gotten a lot of disceplenary actions against him for calling Symonds a monkey. Look at australia, players have been known to sledge like crazy. The worlds best sledger Marshall used to open his bowling by telling the batsman, hows ur wife and my kids. Shoaib speaking out his mind that saying they were playing favorites is an opinion based fact that he shouldn't be punished for. we know knw his career is finished. he cant come bak after 5 years.
MasterBlaster said:
He takes drugs and beats up his team mate with a bat but gets away with it. He criticizes PCB and gets banned for 5 years. :eek:hmy: It should have been done long ago tbh.

but one other thing, shoaib doing all he did was not good and i agree tht he shoulda had disceplenary actions after the beating of asif but for this incident, i think its simply ridiculous

I suppose the PCB will say that it was the final straw but at the same time, it does make me wonder what went on behind the scenes. For the crime, 5 years is a harsh figure - but then again I'm sure that this has some carry over from the Asif case.

It's only good news I feel. He's been a troll on the world game for a while now. A proven drug abuser, has a reputation for being an up himself bigot, and for someone who's been fit less than Shane Bond, he's massively over-rated. I'm glad he's been given a 5 year ban, and hopefully that'll mean the end to his international career.

I think they did take his past actions into account too because a five years ban for this issue only would be like M_C (formerly A_A) said "harsh".

BTW, K_P, congrats on your 100th post. :p

Harsh on inital thoughts, fair on his past record. Like someone else siad, I would love to know what went on at the meeting; I bet it was firey to say the least.

yeah 5 years was pretty harsh those years could of made him a greater bowler idn too much bout him except he was a good bowler but ppl think he deserves it

Maybe its a April fools' joke that PCB is playing on him. If they can let him go without a severe ban for taking banned substances and beating up a teammate then banning him for 5 years for a petty offence seems to make no sense. I think they should have upheld the two year ban on him after he tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. It would have taught him a lesson and given him time to sort out his issues.

the decision is little harsh but because of his past record he deserves it but then even danish kaneria will be banned because he too spoke against pcb. i think now he might go to the icl.

"I have been victimised, I have been pinpoint targeted," Shoaib said at a packed and heated press conference in Islamabad. "I should be told what I did and when I violated discipline. I am what I am because of Pakistan but my punishment is also because I am Pakistani. Banning a guy who played for his country with high fever is wrong."

As had been widely expected, moves to overturn the ban are already underway. The newly-elected prime minister, Yousuf Raza Gillani has told the board chief Nasim Ashraf to review the case again. Hanif Abbasi, a member of parliament from Shoaib's constituency, has also promised to bring up the matter in the national assembly.

And Shoaib himself was typically bullish, warning that he would go to great lengths to contest the ban. "I will not go down without a fight. Even my doping case was mishandled," he said. "I will appeal, as is my right. If that fails I will go to court, if that fails then I will go to the Supreme Court."

It is unlikely that the case will go that far. The PCB is likely, in coming days, to come under increasing pressure from a variety of political sources to overturn the decision, most likely when Shoaib appeals to the board itself. Ashraf is a close associate of President Musharraf (patron of the PCB), whose various political opponents are now in power following general elections in February. Talk of an administrative change has already begun.
Full Article

Looks that the ban may not last 5 years after all.

The same old story... :laugh:

Step 1: PCB Bans Shoaib
Step 2: Shoaib contests the ban.
Step 3: PCB decide to reduce Shoaib's ban or take it all away in one go.
Step 4: Happy endings for PCB and Shoaib.

Yeah, its happened before and I won't be surprised if it happens again. He is their main star bowler so its understandable that he'll receive a lot of support. But more often than not he's accused of being selfish and not a team player. If there was no truth in them then he wouldn't land in controversy as often as he does. I just feels that he gets away with more than he should.

I don't know, ask yourself. Do you have any respect for a guy like Akhtar? I do respect him for his talent, though for his attitude and all, can't say I feel the same way about this...

I pretty much agree with what you say, when he is fit and bowling well he is an awesome sight; off the field is another matter.

Like Flintoff, great on the pitch but his private life sometimes overshadows what he achieves as a player.

Ahktar does seem somewhat vilified though, he is almost a pantomime villain in some cases.

Back