Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

Re: Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

That was unnecessary on his part. Does he expect people to believe his story without any proof? He should have named names.

oh come on whos going to beleive that. by not revealing their names isnt he kind of helping them. if he was contacted by bookies or anyone for match fixing then he should have said it when it happened. why is he talking about it now?

isnt that what boycott does?
the article is harsh but thats his opinion. i agree with certain parts like hes a showman and selfish.
but i respect what he has achieved in the field.

I have to agree with Jon, Willis is another ex-player who hates the modern game types (though for whatever reason I respect Boycott more).

It seems that if he had his way, half of the bowlers on the world scene would be banned. I'd love to know what the amount of bend in his action was.

JonAd said:
Yawn, Willis kicks a man when he's down and brings up the illegal action rubbish.

willis is a miserable man.

God why cant people get over his action. It has been proven that he doesn't chuck.

I don't know about other countries but Shoaib Akhtar is one of the most popular Pakistani cricketers in India. He is admired for his on field achievements but most would agree that he is indisciplined. But I have seen that many Pakistani fans turn a blind eye to it and feel that he is just being victimised by the 'evil' media. Yes, media might might exaggerate sometimes but its only because of his own faults.

I don't understand the reason for the ban. Its like PCB are saying taking drugs and beating up teammates is acceptable but when you criticisize PCB you cross the line.

Shoaib cannot play in IPL

From cricinfo, IPL have decided to respect PCB's decision regarding the 5 year ban.
Full story here from cricinfo
http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/current/story/344908.html

Also tend to agree regarding the match fixing comments, why bring them up now when he should have done it at the time of its occurence. Depending on the outcome of the appeal, it now definitely looks like the end of his career. He definitely is a sight to behold when in full flight and a nightmare for batsmen. I remember him terrorising the SA team.

That is interesting about the IPL blocking him from playing, there is more to that than meets the eye.

I'm sure it's all about making sure that the PCB blocks the likes of Mushy from playing county cricket in the UK.

Hey heard rumours that even Kapil wants none of Shoaib Akhtar in ICL. :eek:

Does anybody know if this is true?

If it is, curtains for Akhtar.

200 million Rupees... Good luck Shoaib, the only achievement you will have by the end of this whole spat will be a bankruptcy.

he would be better off keeping his head down and trying to save what is left if his fast disappearing career

I can understand where Ashraf is coming from. Akhtar has been giving interviews to several news channels here and he has been criticizing the PCB severely. This has turned into a full blown war between PCB and Shoaib now.
In one of the interviews, Shoaib was bragging that IPL wants him and that shows that he doesn't have disciplinary issues. I guess he spoke too soon. However, the owner of the Kolkata team, Shahrukh Khan, is keen on having him in the team, but I think that has more to do with Shoaib's popularity in India than his attitude.

king_of_slaves said:
Hey heard rumours that even Kapil wants none of Shoaib Akhtar in ICL. :eek:

Does anybody know if this is true?

If it is, curtains for Akhtar.
That would be a bad move by ICL. Shoaib has a lot of fan following in Pakistan, India and also England where a lot of Pakistanis live. If they manage to get Shoaib then it will boost them to no end. At the moment they must be very happy because it seems that akthar has no where to go.

The ICC has said it would like its anti-corruption officers to talk to Shaoib Akhtar regarding his claims that he was offered money to underperform in matches in India and South Africa.

"We are aware of his comments and let me reiterate the ICC has a zero-tolerance approach to corruption in sports," an ICC spokesman told Reuters.

On Thursday Shoaib had told a Pakistan news channel that he had rejected many offers to underperform. "It happened in Johannesburg and India but I never accepted them as I can't betray my country," Shoaib said in an interview to Geo TV. "And what do I get in return - a five-year ban the example of which you don't get anywhere in the cricket world. Even players who were fined and found involved in match-fixing issues didn't get such bans."

Talat Ali, the Pakistan team manager, said he hadn't heard of any such offers to Shoaib. "He didn't report anything to me. This is the first I have heard about it."

The ICC Code of Conduct states that players are required to report any approach made to them by a bookmaker or any other corrupt approach to their captain, team manager, a senior board official or to the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit. Failing to do so could lead to ban of up to five years.

From Cricinfo

He's in big trouble now. If he made up the whole story he will be exposed now. If not then too it will be questioned why didn't he report it when it was done.

The more I read about this the more it descends into farce. The guy should accept the ban and stop spreading stories or whatever it is he is trying to do.

Back