Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

Re: Five-year ban for paceman Shoaib

I agree that there must be more to this than meets the eye, as it seems rather random as the events happened a while ago, and action was taken by the PCB. I'm pleased about the ban for cricket's sake as Shoaib is a disgrace and this was a long time coming. Lets just hope that the PCB hold firm over it.

yeah there has to be some pcb influence in shoaib getting banned from the ipl. i think ipl is the only place left for shoaib unless the ban is overturned which would be a shame.

Shoaib accused Ashraf of asking for a cut from his IPL salary. So I would not be surprised if Nasim Ashraf called up BCCI and asked to ban Shoaib.

He was saying on one channel that everytime he plays he is offered a lot of money to underperform but he refuses. He says before the 2003 WC he was shown a breifcase full of money but he refused to accept it. Then he said that PCB chairman asked all Pakistani players to give him some money from their IPL salary. Shoaib says because he refused to pay him he got banned.

He needs to be careful what he says as he has been accused of 'underperforming' in the past. No smoke without fire and all that.

ICC's Anti Corruption Unit has been investigating Shoaib's claims related to match fixing. I am very interested in knowing the results.

Now if his claims turn out to be true it could open a can of worms. If it turns out that he was lieing then his already bad reputation will be damaged beyond repair.

Shoaib himself could face a ban if his allegations turn out to be true. According to ICC's Code of conduct, if a player was approached to under perform and fails to report the same to his captain, or team manager, or a senior board official or ICC's Anti Corruption Unit, he faces a ban for a minimum period of 1 year to a maximum of 5 years.
If this was a cheap stunt to gain sympathy then it just shows him in poor light.

I cant believe what Akthar says. Its rubbish. If match fixing charges are true then it will shake the world of cricket because he said that a lot of people were involved even PCB and also players like Inzamam and moin khan. A legendary player like Inzamam will never do such a thing.

king_of_slaves said:
Hey heard rumours that even Kapil wants none of Shoaib Akhtar in ICL. :eek:

Does anybody know if this is true?

If it is, curtains for Akhtar.
Its true. I read Kapils interview in todays paper. He said that they dont want Akhtar because of his attitude and he may start fights in dressing room.

Lol, so Shoaib is screwed regardless of his claims were true or not. If he was saying the truth then ICC will ban him if he was lieing then he'll lose all credibility and if people still think he should be unbanned then there is something wrong with them.

Well it turns out that they were investigating a separate incident. But ICC have said the Anti Corruption Security Unit will investigate Shoaib's claims.

He has brought the game to disrepute time and again and a player like him deserves this ban. Hes done a lot of stupid things in his career but is he really that stupid to make false claims of such magnitude? I've heard that match fixing is rampant in Pakistan. Maybe what he said about being offered money could be true.

I think he is that stupid. Why would he reveal them after so many years? Hes making stuff up or at least exaggerating some incidents. His motive was to gain symathy of the people. He says I love my country so much that I played in high fever. If you saw him on the ground it seemed like he was over acting. He was trying to make it seem that he was so sick that he should be in a hospital.

I have heard rumours about match fixing in Pakistan. A former player was giving interview to a news channel and he was saying that Pakistan regularly fix matches. But if its true how come they have no proof? I think it was just a publicity stunt just like what Shoaib did.

cmon dont talk rubbish about shoaib. how can the ban be justified? its bad to mix politics with cricket. shoaib is appealing the ban and if there is justice in this world then he the ban will be overturned.

I would argue the opposite. If there was any justice, this ban will be upheld. Shoaib has shown himself to be an extremely talented fast bowler, but also an arrogant playboy who is more interested in himself than the team. It's not like this is a bolt from the blue - he has had disciplinary problems for years now, and this latest one is no surprise. Look at Brett Lee for example - Shoaib and Lee have been around about the same amount of time, and are similar bowlers (Shoaib obviously being a bit quicker, and Lee having a bit more variety) - whilst admittedly Shoaib has had a few injuries (although how many of these are down to fitness problems we don't know), I can relatively safely say that Lee has made the most out of his talents. Whereas Lee constantly puts in the effort required, and is always focused and willing to give every ball his all, Shoaib only seems to do this when he is in the mood to. On his day, Shoaib is one of the most fearsome bowlers around, but those days are now few and far between, and Pakistan are right to close this door and allow a younger generation who actually want to play cricket for the love of the game to get a chance.

sajid said:
cmon dont talk rubbish about shoaib. how can the ban be justified? its bad to mix politics with cricket. shoaib is appealing the ban and if there is justice in this world then he the ban will be overturned.
lol you are talking about justice? If there was any justice Shoaib would have been banned long ago. There have been countless instances when he has gotten off the hook. He had it coming.

everything shoaib has done gets blown out of proportion. he was just criticizing pcb and they ban him for 5 years? what kind of justice is this? kaneria did the same thing but he was not banned. nasim ashraf is targetting shoaib because shoaib didnt agree to give him any money from his ipl salary. people like nasim ashraf should be banned not shoaib.

Back