Gca Player Movements 2011/2012

Cox went there after Xmas so I doubt he gets paid. I would imagine that like most clubs players you think that would be getting paid don't actually get anything. Miller was the coach so I'd assume he got paid.

The whole salary cap system needs to be reviewed and more than likely scraped all together. At least it will stop all the speculation, clubs should be smart enough to know that short term game doesn't bring long term success. ie. Newcomb fc & Newcomb & District cc

I think I heard something about the BPCA scaping the salary cap and doesn't seemed to of changed anything.

Bellarine scrapped the salary cap 2010-2011. It is rumoured that Ocean Grove instigated it (pres of BPCA is from OG) then recruited Gill, Zanoni and Cameron. They ended up playing talented kids in the thirds and didn't make the Grand Final. Was it worth it in the long run i doubt it. And we all know Zanoni didn't like the club and left. Drysdale and Barwon Heads will be powers for a long time . They don't pay anyone but the coach so everyone is on an equal footing and most of the sides are made up of locals. Too many paid players creates rifts and is no good for clubs in the long term.

Bellarine scrapped the salary cap 2010-2011. It is rumoured that Ocean Grove instigated it (pres of BPCA is from OG) then recruited Gill, Zanoni and Cameron. They ended up playing talented kids in the thirds and didn't make the Grand Final. Was it worth it in the long run i doubt it. And we all know Zanoni didn't like the club and left. Drysdale and Barwon Heads will be powers for a long time . They don't pay anyone but the coach so everyone is on an equal footing and most of the sides are made up of locals. Too many paid players creates rifts and is no good for clubs in the long term.

Agree so clubs may have to find out the hard way that money doesn't buy success. Simple invest in youth and recruit the right people to your club that are in it for the long hall, not a quick cash grab.

I see South Barwon are the 1st team to come out swinging in the recruiting stakes for 2011/12

Appointed Phil Halbish as Captain/Coach

He played in Melbourne Cricket Clubs 2009/10 1st XI Premiership
Very good opening bowler who bowls with good pace and a more than handy lower order bat prob middle order at GCA level.

Also I've heard on good mail Clinton Peake will be donning the Green and Gold hat this year, taking a coaching role and will slot in very nicely at number 3. Also the return of Brett Anderton to have a final crack at that Div 1 flag South are so desperately chasing.

They for mine are outright premiership favorites remembering they were only 1 run from playing in a Grand Final, throw Koliba and Brad in that's a powerful team.

Any other news leaking out from around the traps?

Heard yesterday that Highton have signed Shannon YOUNG for another 3 years and that some big names from Melbourne could be coming down the road. They'll need em if they go up to Div One.

Heard yesterday that Highton have signed Shannon YOUNG for another 3 years and that some big names from Melbourne could be coming down the road. They'll need em if they go up to Div One.

They would need to recruit at the least 2-3 quality bats to go with Young and 2 genuine seamers to be remotely competitive. It's as good as official that Highton are up and Thomson are down. Clubs have been informed apparently.

I see South Barwon are the 1st team to come out swinging in the recruiting stakes for 2011/12

Appointed Phil Halbish as Captain/Coach

He played in Melbourne Cricket Clubs 2009/10 1st XI Premiership
Very good opening bowler who bowls with good pace and a more than handy lower order bat prob middle order at GCA level.

Also I've heard on good mail Clinton Peake will be donning the Green and Gold hat this year, taking a coaching role and will slot in very nicely at number 3. Also the return of Brett Anderton to have a final crack at that Div 1 flag South are so desperately chasing.

They for mine are outright premiership favorites remembering they were only 1 run from playing in a Grand Final, throw Koliba and Brad in that's a powerful team.

Any other news leaking out from around the traps?

While I would love to say that we have Clinton playing for us next season at this stage we only have his availability in a part time development coaching role. Hopefully as the season approaches he might find a bit more time to be able to play the occasional game. But it is good to know that if he does play he wants to come back to his junior club.

Heard Lara are on the hunt for a quick bowler to complement Nathan Yates' return.
Young quicks Richmond, Pehar and Wilson are disappointed at lack of opportunities under Bambury and may be seeking opportunities elsewhere

Ive noticed AT are advertising for a club coach anyone know what happened to Sean Arnott?

only from the rumours i heard. Arnott is getting over coaching and only wants to play.. apparrently Grant Dew is going to coach them, due to being friends with Watson from there 1s.. doesn't sound true but ya never know.

only from the rumours i heard. Arnott is getting over coaching and only wants to play.. apparrently Grant Dew is going to coach them, due to being friends with Watson from there 1s.. doesn't sound true but ya never know.

I heard Arnott was considering the coaching role at Torquay.

Also know that Shane Skene has apparently reconsidered his resignation and taken the coaching role at Waurn ponds again next season

Skeney has signed as coach but didn't reconsider anything. He was happy to step aside for a year to see if we could get another gun to the club. Sadly, the Cox experiment didn't quite work but nothing ventured nothing gained. Will be good to have the big fella at the helm officially, although he was coach for the second half of last season.

Skeney has signed as coach but didn't reconsider anything. He was happy to step aside for a year to see if we could get another gun to the club. Sadly, the Cox experiment didn't quite work but nothing ventured nothing gained. Will be good to have the big fella at the helm officially, although he was coach for the second half of last season.

Will Waurn ponds try and recruit another big gun to fill Coxes place?

Back