Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

CORRECTION..... i believe that it is the newtown / grovedale game that is off because south cant get a wicket up can anyone confirm or correct??

bphpanther;367946 said:
CORRECTION..... i believe that it is the newtown / grovedale game that is off because south cant get a wicket up can anyone confirm or correct??
South are unable to get a wicket up due to grass not growing on the newly laser levelled decks. This may also be the case next week. However, this will only effect the South v West game. It has nothing to do with the Grove v Newtown game. So, I can confirm that the South v West game will NOT go ahead.

South also approached North so that the 2nds who are suppose to play at South next week, to play at North next Sunday after the ones play on the Saturday. This was to protect the South wicket and allow the grass to grow a bit more before use. As far as I knew, North was happy with that. Again the GCA wasn't.

What's it bloody matter where a game is being played. As long as the two teams playing agree on a venue and date, as long as the teams get to play and the guys get to have a game. I thought this comp was all about playing the game. Pity the GCA doesn't want games to be played!! They still have no clue!

bphpanther;367946 said:

The Newtown/Grovedale game which was supposed to be played at Newtown but due to non ideal weather conditions late September and late football on this ground it was not ready to go. Both clubs had organised to play the game at Grovedale on Sunday but last night the GCA ruled that you were not able to move games unless your ground was out of action due to the COGG. The same deal with our game against West which was supposed to be at our ground but due to the square being whole couch and September being wetter and colder than normal, our square was not right. We were looking at moving to West on the Sunday but as we only notified them on Tuesday arvo they had a number of 1st XI players unavailable (we would not have had our strongest side either) it would not have been possible to play. The GCA then confirmed last night that no game could be moved, so those matches would be abandoned. Believe they may be looking at a new rule next season where if clubs grounds were unavailable then it would be compulsory to move games. It does not seem right when both Newtown and Grovedale had agreed to play a few weeks ago. We had also arranged with North Geelong to play our 2nd XI their next Sunday as our square would have ideally liked another week but this has been abandoned due to all this. We will have to get a wicket up a week to early. Let's just hope we get some sun !!

gca_ipl;367972 said:
The Newtown/Grovedale game which was supposed to be played at Newtown but due to non ideal weather conditions late September and late football on this ground it was not ready to go. Both clubs had organised to play the game at Grovedale on Sunday but last night the GCA ruled that you were not able to move games unless your ground was out of action due to the COGG. The same deal with our game against West which was supposed to be at our ground but due to the square being whole couch and September being wetter and colder than normal, our square was not right. We were looking at moving to West on the Sunday but as we only notified them on Tuesday arvo they had a number of 1st XI players unavailable (we would not have had our strongest side either) it would not have been possible to play. The GCA then confirmed last night that no game could be moved, so those matches would be abandoned. Believe they may be looking at a new rule next season where if clubs grounds were unavailable then it would be compulsory to move games. It does not seem right when both Newtown and Grovedale had agreed to play a few weeks ago. We had also arranged with North Geelong to play our 2nd XI their next Sunday as our square would have ideally liked another week but this has been abandoned due to all this. We will have to get a wicket up a week to early. Let's just hope we get some sun !!

thats ridiculous. what is the deal then, with points and stuff? Do you both get 3 points each or something?

I know you've all heard me say it before, but the sooner someone challenges these ******* (cant swear due to infractions) the better geelong cricket will be. i know its a big commitment time wise, but how good would it be to have common sense applied when its most required. although im retired from playing now it still annoys me greatly every time i hear of these fools ruining it for all those who want to just enjoy the game. Grow up GCA and use your brains for once.:mad:

OK interpret this, I'll give mine. Sorry that it took a couple of hours, but saves you guys jumping back and forth through the rule book to put pieces together. Read through it and please express your views. ;) I'm not saying or impling that I've got it right, just the wat I see it.

GCA Rule Book; 23 Regulations For Matches

23.1 The management Committee shall make regulations for the conduct of matches and competitions under the association’s control.

23.2 The regulations for scheduled matches shall not be altered or amended during the period from the June meeting of the management committee up to and including the last day of play the ensuring season EXCEPT on receipt of accredited authorisation from the Association Senior affiliated bodies (ie. VCCL,VCA,ACB,ICC) and subject to approval by three fourths majority at any meeting of the management committee.

Now the 1st part of the rule 23.2 says how the GCA have made the call to not allow games to be re scheduled to other venues due to wickets being unable to be prepared due to bad weather/conditions. Black and white a NO brainer (comes under adverse weather/ground unfit). The 2nd part to me says that they can get authority from the VCCL to amend the rule, Management committee (GCA can approve it via above majority and then it is a rule.

Now that being said there would be a process for this to happen with the VCCL. so it would have ruled out this start to season, but could have done it a month ago, when clubs where all ready making arrangements and maybe the GCA could have got it through. :rolleyes:

Now I have also found nothing to say that only grounds that are being revamped by CoGG can be rescheduled either so this is interesting, it appears that the GCA have made this call in the best interest of the competition so it appears that they used discretion and common sense with this. So, as a management committee they could have applied the same to those clubs affected. Remember, the VCCL part is for an amendment to rule book.

rule 3.5 states that the management committee shall, subject to the provisions of these rules, arrange control all matches and exercise control over affairs and property of the association.

Again the way the rule book is written and set out with some rules at times contridicting another in wording, the GCA could have allow the games to go ahead that were arranged by the clubs that Both agreed to. In my view under their own regulations. :eek:

rule 24.1 minimum standard requirements for a club

24.1.(iv) not going to write it all but division 1 have to have a turf wicket and a ground suitable standard approved by the grounds committee.

which would means that the clubs (Grounds being revamped by CoGG) concerned wouldn't meet the minimum requirements for divy 1. hence this would have affected my club last season and a couple of others the premiers, we didn't meet the requirements for divy 1 so we shouldn't have been there.

24.2 for any other division of the association the minimum standard requirements will be determined by the management committee from time to time.

Remember this when governed by rules and regulations, you can only apply whats written in the rules and regulations ions, if it is not written then it does not exist.

That's why even when Dewy was the cricket show about NDCC (or any other club) being relegated that you don't have to clear anyone under the rules except a player going as a professional player. Now this is not written and does not exist but it is applied and granted. :eek:

Sorry nothing in the rule book about discretion or common sense, the same as the GCA can not make things up as they go. But appears they have in the past.

The only thing that needs to be changed on the issue is that Clubs can change venues or days for games in Round 1 only. This is due to either incessant lead-up rain or time factors due to football. This rule could not be applied during the season as it just doesn't give sides enough notice as it is always less than a week's notice and many players would be unavailable due to prior commitments on a Sunday. The rule about changing a venue due to reasons of ground renovation or the like have to be black and white; like most rules. During the season, if there is a wash-out or no pitch available due to weather conditions, then bad luck, that's cricket and 3 points each. Round 1, yes, shift to another venue and make the call early to give players plenty of notice.

Renny24;368149 said:
The only thing that needs to be changed on the issue is that Clubs can change venues or days for games in Round 1 only. This is due to either incessant lead-up rain or time factors due to football. This rule could not be applied during the season as it just doesn't give sides enough notice as it is always less than a week's notice and many players would be unavailable due to prior commitments on a Sunday. The rule about changing a venue due to reasons of ground renovation or the like have to be black and white; like most rules. During the season, if there is a wash-out or no pitch available due to weather conditions, then bad luck, that's cricket and 3 points each. Round 1, yes, shift to another venue and make the call early to give players plenty of notice.

yes Correct, but still need to go through proper channels to amend this in the rule book as I've pointed out & I'm sure you know this...I'm not tell you how to suck eggs, but others may not be familiar with it all..

Fact is descretion could have been used, even under the current regulations the GCA could have voted yes to these clubs concerned. Obviously the wording will need to be correct for the amendment so it only is effective in round 1 (possibly 2 if one dayers). and can only be now amended for next season.

This is a public forum and most of us know who each other are..best place to debate on issues. we use another forum to make actual changes in an official capacity. I welcome everyones views and opinions so keep it lads.:D

The option has to be given to the clubs concerned. For instance, in the case of Torquay V Bell Park, both clubs agreed to move the fixture to Bell Park on sunday. No Problem. I understand the major issue was West not wanting to play South with some players missing. Fine, the clubs can't agree so 3 points each. Tough on South who were willing to play despite having players missing also. Common sense should prevail.

St Peters defeated by AT today. Better side won on a low deck that flattened out. Hats off to them. A game the Saints certainly shouldn't have lost. Dean Watson 124 also led their 2nds to victory.

AB1;368158 said:
The option has to be given to the clubs concerned. For instance, in the case of Torquay V Bell Park, both clubs agreed to move the fixture to Bell Park on sunday. No Problem. I understand the major issue was West not wanting to play South with some players missing. Fine, the clubs can't agree so 3 points each. Tough on South who were willing to play despite having players missing also. Common sense should prevail.

I can understand from West's point of view as they did have a handful of their better players unavailable on the Sunday but we also did have three of our top players in Ando, Youngy and DK all unavailable round 1. The concern was that if they made a club play an understrengthed side and that result had implications on club championship or regular season ladder positions then something may come out of that. Not sure why if two clubs agreed to switching the game that it could not happen. I think Grovedale showed displeasure at the decision by playing Mick Kelson and Mark Baker in the 2nd XI and Garreth Yelland in the 3rd XI !! I think the whole aim should be to get club's to play a game of cricket, so if that is switching venues then so be it. Maybe they need to add in a clause which allows grounds to be change provided that clubs are told within a certain period of time and they have to play no mater what !! It would have been a perfect day for cricket at West today and a large crowd would have also come along.

Again as the current interpretation exists then the GCA made the call on that, rightly or wrongly.

seen the results of St albans v winch, bit different to the result winch were expecting right here on big cricket pre season, poooweee!!

I will leave Ants to do the write up for BPH vs NG. As he does such a good job of it. Better than what was said today in 2 sentances. Thought the games deserved a little bit better. Oh well over to you Ants . . . :)

Watching Closely;368713 said:
I will leave Ants to do the write up for BPH vs NG. As he does such a good job of it. Better than what was said today in 2 sentances. Thought the games deserved a little bit better. Oh well over to you Ants . . . :)
U were obviously there mate... from an outsiders point of view.. wat did u think of Marco sticca's innings.. from wat the boys were saying on saturday nite that both him and ando's knocks would have been 100s on any of the grounds last year.

also daz wat r the chances of south barwon getting up a wicket this week... wouldnt mind having sumthing to watch from across on the hard wicket

I Bowl Meat Pies;368715 said:
U were obviously there mate... from an outsiders point of view.. wat did u think of Marco sticca's innings.. from wat the boys were saying on saturday nite that both him and ando's knocks would have been 100s on any of the grounds last year.

also daz wat r the chances of south barwon getting up a wicket this week... wouldnt mind having sumthing to watch from across on the hard wicket

Marco's innings wasn't bad at all. very unique batsman. Loves the back foot. Not sure if i have seen anyone love it so much. Got a few lucky gusts of wind to take it over the in-feild but hey who doesn't. Good on him and will be WATCHING CLOSELY on how he goes. . . ha ha ha :)

I Bowl Meat Pies;368715 said:

we should be able to get a wicket up this weekend along with plenty of other grounds dependent on how much rain comes over the next two days. Grass would have taken off a fair bit Sunday. So fingers crossed it all should be good but looking at Tuesday/Wednesday forecast (below), not good !!

Forecast for Tuesday

Cloudy. Scattered showers, falling as snow above 800 m. Isolated thunderstorms with hail from midday. Winds south to southwesterly averaging 25 to 40 km/h, tending south to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h later in the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching between 8 and 13.

Geelong Showers. Local hail and thunder.Min 6 Max 13

Forecast for Wednesday
Cloudy. Isolated showers with hail, falling as snow above 800 m. Winds south to southeasterly averaging 25 to 40 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 5 with daytime temperatures reaching between 9 and 14.

Geelong Shower or two.Min 5 Max 14

Is that spring weather for cricket ??

Hard Hitter;367826 said:
Fact; No deal was done with NDCC round 1, we have been ordered to play the 2's on concrete for the 1st time in 14 years :mad:, we were quite happy and keen and planned to play Sunday. offered our ground Turf to Murgy (before we agreed with Thomson playing Sunday) but Murgy didn't want to play Sunday's. I know if NDCC had a chance to play on turf we would have jumped at it if shoe was on other foot.

Murghe also baulked at playing seconds on Sunday against the Ponds. As a result, it's hardwicket at Lakeside. Some of the lads are none too pleased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back