Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Waurn Ponds forever;368845 said:
Murghe also baulked at playing seconds on Sunday against the Ponds. As a result, it's hardwicket at Lakeside. Some of the lads are none too pleased

Look Here introduced himself to me on Saturday and stated that the club had a day for one of their members (a fund raiser of some sort) scheduled for last Sunday. Which is fair enough. Our 2nd's defeated them on the hard wicket with a number of our players not playing on the concrete in match conditions for 10 years. So I reckon we got one up on that one.

It's no secret that sides don't like Sunday cricket, I know I don't. But as I stated earlier, up and coming sides in GCA should be chopping at the bit to play turf cricket and if that means Sundays at the ground your sides playing against then do what you have to do. (Unless you are having a fund raiser for a sick member which won't happen everyweek). :eek:

I don't think there will be much turf happening at Thomson this weekend due to the rain. Time to get the dust off the golf clubs I think :D

Hard Hitter;369057 said:
Look Here introduced himself to me on Saturday and stated that the club had a day for one of their members (a fund raiser of some sort) scheduled for last Sunday. Which is fair enough. Our 2nd's defeated them on the hard wicket with a number of our players not playing on the concrete in match conditions for 10 years. So I reckon we got one up on that one.

It's no secret that sides don't like Sunday cricket, I know I don't. But as I stated earlier, up and coming sides in GCA should be chopping at the bit to play turf cricket and if that means Sundays at the ground your sides playing against then do what you have to do. (Unless you are having a fund raiser for a sick member which won't happen everyweek).

The function and fundraiser was Saturday night; I would not have said Sunday.

I detect some skepticism about it in your post. It was for Harley Doedee, an 18-year-old who played in our 5ths last season and has played juniors with Murghe since U/13s. Harley was in a car accident last April and was badly burnt, resulting in the amputation of both feet (the right one about 10cms below his knee). He was in the Alfred ICU for 4 months and is currently undergoing rehab at Caulfield Rehab Centre.

So yes, it was for real.

In any case, you are about to get your wish (albeit a week too late for NDSC). The GCA is compelling us to play Sundays all season, even after Elderslie becomes available in round 6. It's a long story, which I suspect involves some non-communication from last year's GCA management committee about the club's continued GCA2 status into next (this) season (which as you can probably tell, we had no idea of until today).:mad:

thommy_rissole;369078 said:
I don't think there will be much turf happening at Thomson this weekend due to the rain. Time to get the dust off the golf clubs I think :D

How come Thomson is so wet Riss? Is it the overspill from Bowman's mattress?

Look here;369157 said:

I detect some skepticism about it in your post. It was for Harley Doedee, an 18-year-old who played in our 5ths last season and has played juniors with Murghe since U/13s. Harley was in a car accident last April and was badly burnt, resulting in the amputation of both feet (the right one about 10cms below his knee). He was in the Alfred ICU for 4 months and is currently undergoing rehab at Caulfield Rehab Centre.

So yes, it was for real.

In any case, you are about to get your wish (albeit a week too late for NDSC). The GCA is compelling us to play Sundays all season, even after Elderslie becomes available in round 6. It's a long story, which I suspect involves some non-communication from last year's GCA management committee about the club's continued GCA2 status into next (this) season (which as you can probably tell, we had no idea of until today).:mad:

I thought you said sunday. So it was saturday Night.

No skepticism about my post, I said fair enough that you were having a fund raiser for a member. Later I said that this wouldn't happen every week. So there fore you have no reason not to play Sundays.
I NEVER said it wasn't real and I take offence that you have implied that about me. :mad:
I don't know Harley, but wish him well in his recovery and think it's great the support you as a club are giving him and will continue to give him.
Send me details of a bank account or address to send a cheque for him and I'll donate to the cause. I'm sure if you post some details others may chip in with a little as well, what ever they can afford. :)

It was never my wish, I just expected that it was no different to last season about grounds, so I was more surprised at the decision more than anything and disapointed. But got on with it at the end of the day. Yes our 2nd's had a win so we got away with that one. Unfortunately, you guys should have know from the start, then we wouldn't be going on about it now.

It's done and dusted now, we'll move on and pass on our best wishes to Harley from me and all @ NDCC.

Look here;369157 said:

So yes, it was for real.

I thought you said sunday. So it was saturday Night.

No skepticism about my post, I said fair enough that you were having a fund raiser for a member. Later I said that this wouldn't happen every week. So there fore you have no reason not to play Sundays.
I NEVER said it wasn't real and I take offence that you have implied that about me. :mad:
I don't know Harley, but wish him well in his recovery and think it's great the support you as a club are giving him and will continue to give him.
Send me details of a bank account or address to send a cheque for him and I'll donate to the cause. I'm sure if you post some details others may chip in with a little as well, what ever they can afford. :)

It was never my wish, I just expected that it was no different to last season about grounds, so I was more surprised at the decision more than anything and disapointed. But got on with it at the end of the day. Yes our 2nd's had a win so we got away with that one. Unfortunately, you guys should have know from the start, then we wouldn't be going on about it now.

It's done and dusted now, we'll move on and pass on our best wishes to Harley from me and all @ NDCC.

Don't think NDCC will get a wicket up either. :eek:

Hard Hitter;369228 said:

I saw St Albans had there covers on this morning, they might play. Highly doubt South Barwon will get a wicket up either now after this mornings rain. Torquay a chance to get a match played there AB? Any other grounds struggling to get a deck up for Saturday?

EDIT: just spoke to our curator and our coach, they both reckon we'll be playing saturday! - I am however less optimistic!

Hard Hitter;369228 said:

I saw St Albans had there covers on this morning, they might play. Highly doubt South Barwon will get a wicket up either now after this mornings rain. Torquay a chance to get a match played there AB? Any other grounds struggling to get a deck up for Saturday?

EDIT: just spoke to our curator and our coach, they both reckon we'll be playing saturday! - I am however less optimistic!

I'd say Spring Creek is struggling after looking at it last night, and the rain overnight wont have helped.

I'd say Spring Creek is struggling after looking at it last night, and the rain overnight wont have helped.

thommy_rissole;369229 said:

Probably got called a cheeseball and a peanut for your troubles?

thommy_rissole;369229 said:

Probably got called a cheeseball and a peanut for your troubles?

Hard Hitter;369228 said:

Looked at the wicket last night, won't be a problem, could of played on it last night. Another great effort by Skinny. It surprised me. :cool:

Hard Hitter;369228 said:

Looked at the wicket last night, won't be a problem, could of played on it last night. Another great effort by Skinny. It surprised me. :cool:

Hard Hitter;369361 said:

Yeah same here, our curator(s) have done a magnificent job and the wicket will be ready to go Saturday.

Hard Hitter;369361 said:

Yeah same here, our curator(s) have done a magnificent job and the wicket will be ready to go Saturday.

anyone know how waurn ponds ground is? Murghe 1's are playing there sunday with the 2's playing there on saturday..

anyone know how waurn ponds ground is? Murghe 1's are playing there sunday with the 2's playing there on saturday..

bigmacimhungry;369351 said:
no comment.ha ha ha ha ha did it rain!!!!!!

How's your turf wicket looking this week bigmac?

If you ever want to learn the ins and outs of preparing a quality wicket get on your push bike and head down the Surfcoast Highway to Spring Creek Reserve.

bigmacimhungry;369351 said:
no comment.ha ha ha ha ha did it rain!!!!!!

If you ever want to learn the ins and outs of preparing a quality wicket get on your push bike and head down the Surfcoast Highway to Spring Creek Reserve.

Hard Hitter;369361 said:

Excellent. Looking forward to a good 2nds game this week. Sainters were a bit down with a couple of regulars out but welcome their skipper back this week so should be right for a great contest.

Hard Hitter;369361 said:

Excellent. Looking forward to a good 2nds game this week. Sainters were a bit down with a couple of regulars out but welcome their skipper back this week so should be right for a great contest.

beaublazer;369407 said:

very hard to ride a bmx in gumboots........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back