Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Threepeat;358029 said:
Early predictions on league medals, players you best think will dominate this year....

GCA 1: Mark Freijah

GCA 2: Sean O'Neil

BPCA: Ben Ricardo

Early premiership contenders?:

GCA 1: South Barwon, East Belmont, Geelong West, Grovedale

GCA 2: Thompson, Murgheboulc

BPCA: Barwon Heads, Collendina, Jan Juc, Queenscliff

Sorry to harp back to the first post, not been on for ages, but who wrote this? Was it Mick or Ann O'Neill?

Walker Oval should be right for St Peters but Drew Reserve (hard wicket ground next door) is out for season as St Joeys are renovating for next footy season. Seems like they should have done this a couple of years ago rather than do the full ground in rye again. Believe that next season Walker Oval being done. This will be a great final result with hard wicket and turf grounds side-by-side in couch.

Leopold wicket looks pretty good, newcomb good as always, BPH looks decent all have plenty of grass. Apart from the out-feild at Leopold, looks like it is back to the same old sand pit. Newtown struggling i heard, and the supersaints will get one up but doubt whether any will be a paradise to play on. Funniest one is east belmont looks like a patch work quilt. .

Watching Closely;367482 said:
Leopold wicket looks pretty good, newcomb good as always, BPH looks decent all have plenty of grass. Apart from the out-feild at Leopold, looks like it is back to the same old sand pit. Newtown struggling i heard, and the supersaints will get one up but doubt whether any will be a paradise to play on. Funniest one is east belmont looks like a patch work quilt. .

I think the GCA will be making a decision as to whether to allow venue changes etc. Can't see them allowing it. It's like rocking up on a saturday, seeing it's wet and saying "ah well, we'll come back tomorrow". We're on that boat, but don't think we'll be allowed personally.

No venue changes is the verdict from the GCA, meaning there will be a lot of people missing out on playing cricket this weekend, for no good reason other than 'no ground, too bad'.

I guess our hopes that the change of management would lead to some common sense decision-making instead of this beauracratic nonsense were too optimistic.

A ridiculous decision. I'd love to know the reasoning, or is that asking too much.

Looking at umpire appointments on the GCA website this evening (Thursday) and it looks like all games are on (in theory), with plenty 1sts/2nds scheduled for Sunday at the same ground as 1sts/2nds the day before. We'll see I guess.

Just to let GCA2 clubs know, Murgheboluc has King Lloyd Reserve out all season but have secured Elderslie Reserve from whenever it's ready after ground works for GFC - about round 6 so say COGG. Same as last season in GCA2 - 1sts would always play away, 2nds at home, provided the GCA sanction it. No problem you'd logically think, but Dewy seems keen to have us play 1sts "home" games as per the fixture on Sundays at opponents' grounds. Deals already done or being done with opponents in first 3 rounds, none of whom are particularly keen to play Sundays. Why would GCA compel Sunday play if both clubs can make satisfactory alternative agreements?

Look here;367809 said:
Looking at umpire appointments on the GCA website this evening (Thursday) and it looks like all games are on (in theory), with plenty 1sts/2nds scheduled for Sunday at the same ground as 1sts/2nds the day before. We'll see I guess.

Just to let GCA2 clubs know, Murgheboluc has King Lloyd Reserve out all season but have secured Elderslie Reserve from whenever it's ready after ground works for GFC - about round 6 so say COGG. Same as last season in GCA2 - 1sts would always play away, 2nds at home, provided the GCA sanction it. No problem you'd logically think, but Dewy seems keen to have us play 1sts "home" games as per the fixture on Sundays at opponents' grounds. Deals already done or being done with opponents in first 3 rounds, none of whom are particularly keen to play Sundays. Why would GCA compel Sunday play if both clubs can make satisfactory alternative agreements?

Fact; No deal was done with NDCC round 1, we have been ordered to play the 2's on concrete for the 1st time in 14 years :mad:, we were quite happy and keen and planned to play Sunday. offered our ground Turf to Murgy (before we agreed with Thomson playing Sunday) but Murgy didn't want to play Sunday's. I know if NDCC had a chance to play on turf we would have jumped at it if shoe was on other foot.

Look here;367809 said:

Up until last night, St Peters 4ths (which were scheduled to play on Drew Reserve) were still unsure on where they were playing and waiting for council direction. That's 36 hours before game time and the oval was all ripped up and posioned about a week ago.

Boys boys boys, once again i will point out the painful obvious. The GCA has no care for the clubs, get used to it, been happening for years and no doubt shall continue. Common sense is not their fortay.

Hard Hitter;367826 said:
Fact; No deal was done with NDCC round 1, we have been ordered to play the 2's on concrete for the 1st time in 14 years, we were quite happy and keen and planned to play Sunday. offered our ground Turf to Murgy (before we agreed with Thomson playing Sunday) but Murgy didn't want to play Sunday's. I know if NDCC had a chance to play on turf we would have jumped at it if shoe was on other foot.

I must've been speaking to the wrong people at the last GCA meeting then. Grinter on Sunday for the 2nds was never "offered" to Murghe at any stage; in fact one of the NDSC reps there was very relieved the ground wouldn't have to be used twice on that weekend. Bear in mind this was mid-September when the weather had been shitty for a few weeks and many clubs had doubts about getting their wickets up.

Look here;367878 said:
I must've been speaking to the wrong people at the last GCA meeting then. Grinter on Sunday for the 2nds was never "offered" to Murghe at any stage; in fact one of the NDSC reps there was very relieved the ground wouldn't have to be used twice on that weekend. Bear in mind this was mid-September when the weather had been shitty for a few weeks and many clubs had doubts about getting their wickets up.

To end up playing on a concrete wicket (which I had to google to find) in GCA divy 2, 2nds makes the GCA look like amateurs. Yes mid september wickets were doubtful. Some clubs will struggle. Unfortunately Rules state the minium requirement for turf wicket applies to Divy 1. That being said it's great that Murgy are getting turf in which is great for geelong cricket. The fact remains that this didn't happen yesterday so you have had all winter to make alternative arrangements for your team to play on turf at a neutral ground or Sunday at the club ya play'n against. Not popular choice but if you are fairdinkum about becoming a major player in GCA in years to come then you would have to what you need too. Afew players that don't like sunday cricket need to change thier mind set. Don't wait on council to help, you won't get it, period. pro active find it ya self, and submit to GCA. We went the whole year last year SAT/SUN.

I told our pres, to offer our ground free of charge when I heard about 2nd's on concrete. I'll get in touch and see if he did. If he didn't I'll stand corrected.

Thomson on our ground (NDCC) Sunday now, but addy says different in umpires, will confirm on this. :confused:

Not going on about it, it's all done now so we'll accept it and look forward to the contest in good spirits and a chat after the game. :)

Not quite sure if it fits, but we at Torquay arranged to play sunday AT Bell Park, as soon as we realised our deck wouldn't make it, and were refused by GCA. This is what i don't get, especially in the first round or so, after a spell of bad weather. There is no common sense in the decision. After all, we are here to play, not sit in the TAB drinking all afternoon watching our lower grade lads. On 2nd thoughts, great decision......

Hard Hitter;367888 said:
Thomson on our ground (NDCC) Sunday now, but addy says different in umpires, will confirm on this. :confused:

Thomson 2nds aren't playing at all, match abandoned due to Thomson's ground being non-usable. Got the call from the GCA last night stating there will be no Sunday cricket unless ground is getting re-vamped.

thommy_rissole;367905 said:
Thomson 2nds aren't playing at all, match abandoned due to Thomson's ground being non-usable. Got the call from the GCA last night stating there will be no Sunday cricket unless ground is getting re-vamped.

Ok Settles that. Can't work it out. You would think every effort would be made to play. :confused:

AB1;367896 said:
Not quite sure if it fits, but we at Torquay arranged to play sunday AT Bell Park, as soon as we realised our deck wouldn't make it, and were refused by GCA. This is what i don't get, especially in the first round or so, after a spell of bad weather. There is no common sense in the decision. After all, we are here to play, not sit in the TAB drinking all afternoon watching our lower grade lads. On 2nd thoughts, great decision......

Good back up plan.......:D

Maybe the GCA should look at Football Geelong.......at least clubs played at other venues when grounds were not up to it.

Have just heard that the newtown/ sth barwon game is off cos sth cant get a wicket up...... are there many others in similar situation???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back