Group Stages Chat

Re: Group Stages Chat

Exactly why it shouldnt be used for T20 cricket

Most interesting thing about it, maybe its because it was such a short period, but usually you see some sort of obvious rise in required run rate, here it went up by just half a run

An equally fair method of determining a winner in rain-affected T20 games would be for the captains to face off in a best of three series of Yahtzee, Uno, or Go Fish.

That is to say, it's **************** and 5 overs is not nearly enough time to determine a rightful winner.

Zimbabwe were rolled for 84 in the current game, Taibu and Masakadza opened well but from there on the rest failed, producing most single figures scores except Greg Lamb who scored 14.

Nathan McCullum and Scott Styris took three wickets each with Vettori taking two. Tim Southee took the first wicket and then there was the run-out of Masakadza.

In reply, New Zealand are 1/36 from 8.1 overs and with rain halting play at the moment, they will win on the D/L method if no further play is possible.

a for effort;399139 said:
An equally fair method of determining a winner in rain-affected T20 games would be for the captains to face off in a best of three series of Yahtzee, Uno, or Go Fish.

That is to say, it's **************** and 5 overs is not nearly enough time to determine a rightful winner.

What about rock paper scissors best of three? I really despise Duckworth Lewis for obvious reasons but should logic not be that a match be constituted in 10 overs, 50% of the game? The problem that I am sensing is that it is not equalising the effects of the rain. At the moment it borders on being unfair, England got the short stick on Monday vs the WIndies. Surely a more fair solution can be found as currently it detracts from the spectacle.

They would be better off taking the game indoors if no further play is possible and having a bowl off like they do when the game ends in a tie...

At least we(england) got through in the end...

The maths is completely fine and Duckworth Lewis is still actually working, those figures are accurate.

It's just that a game of cricket can't be decided in 5 overs, simply not possible. It's not the system itself, but the length of time used.

70 games have been decided with DL worldwide in T20 (domestic or international) and only 2 have brought up any serious issues. The Windies/England game was one of them. That being said, though, the two that caused problems were decided from such a short amount of time.

Heard one interesting idea the other day.

Test cricket is 40 wickets in a game. One day cricket is half the amount of innings, therefore 20 wickets.

T20 is under half again length wise, yet all 20 wickets are still used? Perhaps 5 batsman per side can be used only?

That wouldn't fit in with any traditional sense of cricket, but who said this was actually cricket? :D Anyway.. off topic.

New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, West Indies and England are all through to the 8s.

Australia and South Africa are set to join them. South Africa should beat Afghanistan comfortably, Australia should oust Bangladesh, and even if they loose they should go through unless Bangladesh absolutely flog them.

Looks like an all Test playing nation super 8s.

Hello,

I am one of the cricket lovers,this is my post here :)

I think Teams of Super 8 will be :D

Australia
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
WI
England
India
SA
NZ

I got a question, if Bangladesh beat AUS heavily , Pakistan will be out of T20 WC ?

muzammalalvi;399198 said:
Hello,

I am one of the cricket lovers,this is my post here :)

I think Teams of Super 8 will be :D

Australia
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
WI
England
India
SA
NZ

I got a question, if Bangladesh beat AUS heavily , Pakistan will be out of T20 WC ?

For Pakistan to be knocked out, Bangladesh would need to beat Australia quite heavily as they have a NRR of -1.05 at the moment.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;399210 said:
Australia batting against Bangladesh; Johnson out injured with an elbow infection I believe but I can't be certain.

Hussey played a captain's knock. Mighty fine effort from him and Smith.

Remarkable thing about our short format teams is that almost every player down to 8 can play a rescue or good chase knock on their day, some like huss do regularly but the only one that can't is the captain. The only one who can't play a captain's knock is Clarkey.

The Bangers committed hari-kari with the bat but when don't they? Headless chickens the lot of them. But then, they were probably terrified of Tait.

When you have Dirk Nannes tearing in you are unbeatable, there is no International team who can stop him

He has performed really well in this tournament, leading wicket-taker I think, but I still think Tait is scarier.

Of course the huge plus is that Michael Clarke has admirably swallowed his ego whole and thought about the needs of the team.

I am impressed with him for that. He really wants to captain a winning side.

Back