Jonesy's Blog.

Re: Jonesy's Blog.

Thanks mate.

Not really, just tried to keep it outside off. The player didn't have any really big weaknesses and they weren't gun bats so yeah.

Thanks mate!

Tonight I got 0/3 off 5 overs. First ball of the day, bowling to a mate of mine I bowled the biggest wide down leg side, went for 4. The umpire signaled byes though, so I got away with that, woot. I bowled 3 maidens in a row to start off. One ball I got a bottom edge and it bounced just before the keeper and another time the ball missed the stumps by like a centimeter. Arghh. I can't bloody get wickets in juniors this year! All well. We won by like 50-60 runs. Getting their gun batsman run out for not much helped a lot :p

On the Saturday we batted first on an absolutely horrible pitch (I think a few balls rolled). We got of to a shaky start, losing a wicket second over. Our number 3 batsman came in, hit 2 fours down through gully. They then put a man there and he hit it straight to him, only the fielder couldn't catch and it hit him on the head. Unluckily for us it popped up and point caught it. Our other opener fell soon after, but our #4 and #5 put on a great partnership and brought us back in the game. The #5 fell, then other great partnership, then #6 fell, then a duck, then a duck, then 70 run father-son partnership (the son made only 10 of it, though :p) brought us in a good position. The #4 got his 100 and then soon after his parter got out. I was in. I edged one first ball. Second ball I half-edged, half-guided one through gully for 4. I just played out the next few overs and I ended up with 7 not out. Highest score of the season wooooo. We ended up making 180 runs in 80, but it was a shocking pitch and rain made it worse. It's defendable at least.

On Sunday I had a Hatch practice match against an u14 Dowling side. I got 3* and got 0/2 off 4 overs. One edge fell just short of the keeper and another time it just missed everything. We won by 20ish.

And in other news, I've pulled a muscle in my leg again. It's pretty bad, I've had a lot of work done on it but its not getting any better. To make it worse I have training tonight (probably will just bowl spin though), match tomorrow, match saturday, training and intra-team match sunday. Hmm.

Also it looks like our deaf home umpire may be out of a job - apparently he made 9 shocking decisions on the weekend and the opposition are going to complain. Lulz.

We had a deaf umpire, and Jonesy which Hatch side do you play for? And congrats on the HS.

Thanks V!

Last night I got summoned to open that batting. I was ready to put on the shorts when the coach told me I was opening the batting because our usual opener was away. Crap I was shocked, didn't really like the idea and I we didn't get any hits before we went on. So in we went, I made the other guy face the first ball. Nearly ran him out on the second ball (wasn't my fault though). I hit a four from a leg glance, thanks very much to my bat and another four from a cover drive. I then hit heaps down to third man. They bowled it was too short and I controlled edged it to him a kazillion times. Well, they called it edge, I called it a well directed shot. Then I got one that was a bit lower, I did the same thing and the guy and gully took an apparent fluke catch. I was pretty pissed off that I didn't fully cut the ball, but all well. I made 22 and top scored. I never felt so good batting and I just wanted to get out there and bat again.

Bowling wise, I took 1 wicket and got hit for a bit, but you're always going to be in a 20 over match.

Today I got 0/10 off 5, shoulda got a wicket but the keeper dropped one, but I'll live. I came it at 8 (promotion, lol) and got 5. Came in for the last few overs when we wouldn't win the match but they had everyone on the boundary. Managed to hit a cover drive in between the men on the boundary. Then just pushed a single through cover. I struggled for a bit and then got bowled. Never looked good and I new in the back of my mind if they got it on the stumps I'd be in trouble. I faced the same bowled 2 weeks ago and handled him fine. I dunno what was up this week.

I felt so good and in such great form last night, but today I felt so out of form. It's left me not wanting to play at all tomorrow. Might call up injured cos my calf is still not good.

Jonesy don't worry mate everyone has bad times with the bat. Just last week I felt terrible, then in my next net session I was hitting the seniors 2nds spinner for four every ball, and handling some of the ones bowlers fine (Not scoring any runs but an improvement none the less). Just stick at it, fight through the bad patches so that your poor form doesn't look as bad.:)

Congrats for scoring 22 runs:)

Sad to read that ur WK missed a catch missing u an opportunity for a well deserved wicket.
All the best for the nets and matches.

Thanks V!

Today was an absolute shocker. A stinker of a toss to lose, we were sent in and the pitch did everything and then some. We were doing fine with 0/18, then fell 3/18 and 5/25. We ended up with 70 on the board.

The pitch flattened out like the curator expected, and they won none down. We had to play to the end, and we ended up getting 7 wickets.

Ahahah, this guy was charging up the pitch to our fastest bowler, so he banged one in short and it missed his head by like a millimetre.

And then later on, our fine leg saved a boundary but almost fell into the fence. The batsman thought it was four, started yelling out, oh he hit the fence, that's 4, the fielder chucked it in with his rocket arm, hit the stumps and the idiot batsman was out of his crease. He was given out and we were all pissing ourselves.

One of the umpires was an idiot, though. We appealed for a caught behind, the umpire gave it out straight away and then the batsman protested, saying he hit his pad, so the ump reversed the decision, and then 20 seconds later changed his mind again!

I bowled crap in my first spell. 0/14 off 2, but I bowled a lot better in my second spell, only getting hit for a few singles and one edge over the slips. All well.

Today was a lot better. Top order failed again. We were 4/25. But our gun #3 made a cracking 55 odd. We ended up with 124, I got in for the last 2 overs and got 7. 3 off an edge and then a cracking cover drive (a mate on the other team who plays at my club said it was the best shot of the innings :D). The cover drive made the bowler angry, I think. The next ball I copped a bouncer which I didn't really react to, I stuck my bat there instead of ducking. Luckily the ball fell short of all fielders.

We bowled really good as well. They won in the 4th last over, but it was a great effort by us to field in 37 degree heat. I bowled a lot better today. The best I've bowled in a long time. I had a mate of mine (plays in the 2nds) dropped at first slip, and another guy missed the ball by a millimetre and the next ball missed the stumps by a millimetre. I was absolutely spent after my spell. I get a break tomorrow, but I still have to field. I feel we're on the verge of a win, if only our top order gets some runs. Oh and it turns out there was a scout at the match. Kewlies?

Dave, type in MMBW Reservoir and the ground next to that is my home ground for the RM Hatch carnival. It used to to be good, but the groundsman poisoned the grass and now it sucks sooo bad.

Jonesy, I had a look at the Yan Yean reservoir - which I think is the same place. Man your country is such a vast empty place compared to us here. I looked all around the area but couldn't see anything that looked like a cricket pitch. Have you got a road name that runs next to it or something? Australia is one of the only places in the world I'd like to get and see before I croak, we've even talked about moving out there as I think you need teachers at the minute and that's what I do, so maybe one day?

It's such an odd landscape - what are those big ovals that look like oval dirt tracks/racing tracks?

I just looked at where Breeno lives as well - he's got loads of cricket going on there, no wonder you Aussies are so good at this game!

Haha yeah Dave, most of Australia is vast and empty, but Im guessing that most of the Aussies here live in suburbia or country towns (Which can be quite large). The CBD's are more shopping/offices, and the suburbs are where most people live.

But the suburbs here are different to that depicted in America:p Not every house is huge and all a nice place.

Greensborough has a fair bit of cricket going on, but I play at Rivergum (Kelynack Reserve, Azalea Drive) which is about a 20 minute drive from my house.

Australia is a pretty good place to live in, but most of the visiting sites are near the beaches.

Btw the Yan Yean Reservoir is that giant water basin yeah? If so, there isn't really much around there at all, although the town of Yan Yean is rather decent for a country town.

Lol Dave, I live no where near there! Type in Box Hill City Oval, Victoria. Springfield Park, Victoria and MMBW Reservoir, Victoria.

We got pumped today, lost by nearly a hundred runs. Luckily I didn't play, but I've been told I'm batting in the middle order tomorrow, woot.

Yeah I found it - that looks good as well. I kind of understand now why when you log onto this website there's so many of your lot on here talking about your matches and rivalries! There's so many cricket pitches and they all look as though they've got pavillions and obviously get used. How comes you're playing cricket mid week or is it the summer holidays over there at the minute?

someblokecalleddave;310166 said:
Yeah I found it - that looks good as well. I kind of understand now why when you log onto this website there's so many of your lot on here talking about your matches and rivalries! There's so many cricket pitches and they all look as though they've got pavillions and obviously get used. How comes you're playing cricket mid week or is it the summer holidays over there at the minute?

It's summer holidays, and I'm play in an u15 rep turf competition ATM.

Lost today in a close-ish one. I bowled well. One umpire was absolutely crap. We got an early wicket, then the next over the new batsman basically middled it to the keeper, everyone ran in celebrating and the umpire didn't even react.

someblokecalleddave;310166 said:

Dave

Please provide me the link of jonesy and breeno's loaction...
Would love to see the place.

Virender

We had a win in the 4ths on Saturday. I took 1/26 off my 8. An older bowler in my team said I was looking really strong at the crease, which is good to hear.

Yesterday I took 1fa again. Bowled 5 tight overs as well.

I got a bat at 8, faced 2 balls and got out for 1, caught at mid on from a loopy as hell leg spinner. I was so pissed off because he was a hack player. I just didn't wait for it and it seems my problems with spinners aren't over. The first ball I faced I hit it through a gap on the leg side (the ball was pitched outside leg) and everything was fine. What was bugging me as well was that I really feel like I could spend a lot of time out on the crease, and I'm enjoying batting when I'm out there, I'm just not staying in. I need to get through the first few overs and I think I'll be fine.

Also, I think I've lost the ability to defend and leave the ball. I used to be super good at defending, but now because the drive is the main shot I score off, I look to drive everything that I play on the front foot. If I bat (doubt it) tomorrow, I'll really look to set my self up. But it will be only a 35 over game because of the heat so I guess I can't really do that if I come in late. Saturday is a 2-dayer so I should get a nice bat there, and hopefully I can really build my innings. That is the only thing that is stopping me from becoming a good batsman, the ability to build an innings and score big runs. Let's hope I get picked (haven't been to the last 5 trainings because I've had the hatch carnival on.

Back