Leg Spin Bowling Follow Up .... Feed Back Please

My suggestion would be (however far less credentialed than the others on here... so feel free to ignore me here) would be to learn the mental side of the game as far as a spinner is concerned (which I'm sure you already understand the importance of this anyway) rather than try and adjust his action too much until his body matures. From personal experience trying to keep your action together as you begin to grow is hard enough without trying to tinker small problems that may be resolved by increased strength anyway...

Well people shouldn't be confused about physical strength, muscle mass being related to spin and speed. In fact there is little relationship between arm strength, bicep strength, and torso strength to bowling speed. Actually flexibility is more related to bowling speed and large muscle mass really lowers flexibility. so -- don't bulk up to bowl faster.

However lever length i.e. wingspan, length of legs -- and physical speed to get through the action -- which are also major factors to speed ability are obviously significantly lower for a child than a full grown adult.

I think Andrew has hit the button. The mental side of spin bowling is about 80+% of the game.

To be fair, I do not think Andrew mentioned 'large muscle mass'. We become stronger just by getting older... except for when you're my age. :D Look at your players and compare a regular 12 year old with a regular 15 year old. Even if neither have worked on their strength the older boy will be much stronger. If you need proof, get them to arm wrestle!

Main reason is I've got a lot of stuff going on in my life at the minute see here...

http://www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/joes-progress-5-pictures.html

In addition my own bowling is pretty poor at the minute and we're in the midst of the worst summer in UK weather history, so there's no cricket, no practicing... nothing. Looking at your bowling I would say that I need to be taking advice from you rather than me advising you! There's plenty of people who are far more knowledgable than me to discuss your bowling on here and as far as I can see they are giving you feedback and you're taking it on board.

Hey Dave

Very sorry for this painful # of ur son's LL...:( . But quite encouraging to see his current condition as posted by u on 13th July blog. By the way febula alignment is not that important as compared to the tibia. Rather Dicom view of xray is showing resonably good alignment of tibia with calcification. He must be on lots of calcium (milk), some physical rehab and plenty of mental strenghening by u. I am sure he will definitely bounce back in field with lot more energy.

hoping for his early recovery. :)

Hey Dave

Very sorry for this painful # of ur son's LL...:( . But quite encouraging to see his current condition as posted by u on 13th July blog. By the way febula alignment is not that important as compared to the tibia. Rather Dicom view of xray is showing resonably good alignment of tibia with calcification. He must be on lots of calcium (milk), some physical rehab and plenty of mental strenghening by u. I am sure he will definitely bounce back in field with lot more energy.

hoping for his early recovery. :)

Cheers, I keep topping him up with milk! I'm glad you've said it looks as though it's looking beter, Liz said the same this morning as well. We've got him walking around without the support today trying to encourage him to use his ankle more and put some weight through the leg. It's a long slow process. Thanks for your words of support.

i think this is coming from an effort to try and get the ball through the air faster without the muscle mass to do so.

Right on Liz. Quoted the wrong passage.

My thought though is simply -- don't go into the gym and bulk up and think that will make you bowl faster. How many fast bowlers come out of an off-season in the biggest shape of their lives and don't bowl faster. Speaking of which -- how many fast bowlers come out of an off-season and can throw longer than they ever have -- and bowl slower.

I don't want this young man to hit the gym especially as he gets older, with all this suggestion that he needs to grow and get bigger -- and get the wrong idea.

^^ doctortran is 100% correct. When referring to that, it was a lazy way of saying that at his current age he doesn't have the ability to get the ball down the other end as quickly as an 18 yr old would due to many physiological aspects, and agree that 'bulking up' can detract from bowling (it's ok if done correctly with the right muscle groups and the right form of training but that is an entirely different matter altogether).

... (it's ok if done correctly with the right muscle groups and the right form of training but that is an entirely different matter altogether).

Absolutely Andrew, I train Olympic Lift Techniques from 13y and my friends at Core Cambridge will train techniques from 10y. To excel, cricketers need to be strong but as you say, in the right place and in the right way. You not only need to see a fully qualified S&C but one with understanding of the 'young' body. Children are NOT mini adults!

If it is not possible to consult with the right people, I will always advocate good core training. Apart from anything else, I will not start techniques with anybody who cannot perform a good plank, side T/rotation plank and can perform a really good set of narrow width press ups. Good posture is also a pre-requisite!

Yes macca u r absolutely right, but this one was posted to see his approach & run up. I wl definitely post in coming days...:)

Those views you have already posted do give a good account of his action.

When i check out a spinner i like to more or less keep wicket to them, without a batsman in between, for a few sessions of 4-5 overs at least, so maybe 100 deliveries. And watch the ball, and the seam in particular.

It helps if the bowler is a bit used to bowling at a target on a good length and that target will show up on the film to reference his length.

Your boy is probably used to being filmed by now so he wont suffer from the form of stage fright that afflicts some people when they try and film their bowling at first.

Back