Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

someblokecalleddave said:
Charlie if you can tell me how you hold down ten overs for 23 runs that'd be amazing - it's not something I can do! I'm a learner mate - I can write this theory stuff till the cows come home and I've got big plans for next season, but last season I was crap! So share the knowledge mate!

Just over a week ago I bowled 8 overs, 5 maidens, 3 wickets for 4 runs. ;)

Sean - can you just flick the ball up in the air where you stand and see that it's spinning in the right direction and catch it? If you can - do the same thing and let it drop to the floor and then see if the spin you're putting on it means that it spins off in the right direction?

If it doesn't, it probably means that you're not flicking your wrist or getting enough purchase on the ball as you release it.

If it does deviate towards off when you let it drop, you may have the same problem that I've got with the leg break - which seems to be a release problem. I think what I've been doing wrong is - when the ball comes out of my hand it does so in a way that means the ball is spinning forwards more like a Top Spinner rather than spinning sideways as a Leg Break should. As mentioned before, if you look at the Terry Jenner Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWYcuaTosc

on line 3.39 into the video he makes the distinction between the Leg Break and the Top Spinner saying "For the Leg break the palm faces the batsman".

Have a look at the video and see if that helps you?

With regards this thread - it's brilliant, just wish there were a few more people chipping in!

When I did it, it span to the left. That's where it's meant to spin right?

To your second point on your video, I think in my action, my palm might not be facing the batsman enough. So it's not spinning enough.

Also, I bowl about 1 toppy or wrong' un an over. Is that too many? How many should I be bowling?

Simbazz - I've got loads of video footage of me bowling flippers on DV tape somewhere with the ball spinning away to off like a leg break. I'm not sure how complex it is to get the DV tape rendered (?) in order that the file size is small enough to post on You tube. It'd be nice to put links here of stuff like that. I noted the first post that Sean had put here had a link to a video clip but it no longer works.

I'd be interested to see it. What you could do, is put them in a big file, and post it on an upload site.

PM me if you put it onto the pc and i'll tell you how to do it.

What a fantastic thread, i have to read all 11 pages which i hope to be packed full of advice as the last page. :)

leg spin is easier to pick up wickets because the ball is spinning away from the batsmen, this brings wickets on silver plates if on a spinning track.

off spin goes into a batsmen, which is easier to defend definately.

leg spin isn't beautiful, watching murali's arm is beautiful

You've got a point Murali but i still think its more difficult to master, especially placement, and with it coming out of the back of the hand its harder to gain an advantage, but once you do, leg spin really does bring an advantage!

Offspin is also beautiful, but easier to bowl.

And Murali's arm is indeed beautiful, but a few umpires would argue against that.

I didn't say he was a chucker, but some umpires have said that his action is dodgy.

I believe he's 100% in the right, and science proves it.

Murali - I don't get why you've made the statement "Leg Spin is for losers" If it's that easy a tactic to deploy why don't you simply bowl Doosra's? I bowl Googlies and I've taken plenty of wickets bowling Googlies - turning the ball into the batsman it's not hard? What's your point?

Both are complex in different areas.

I think you have to be a thinking bowler to be a successful off spin, and requires mental attributes to use variation in pace and length in order to avoid the horizontal batted swipe!

Leg spin is the more difficult art of spin from the angle of control, though once control and variations are developed, it's all about putting the balls in the right areas enough times and let the ball do the rest.

Anyway all that aside I had an hour out in the freezing cold today seeing if I can bowl basic leg breaks and it looks like if I persevere I might be able to. It felt really odd and as if I was bowling really slow and my follow through felt unatural as well, but as you said Simbazz it bounces well as to be expected when compared to the Flipper and I was getting a fair bit of turn on it. The length and width were issues, but it looks as though if I practice with it I may be able to bowl it again.

I also noticed that the basket ball/5 aside court that I was practicing in also has panels attached (Welded) to the fencing in the shape and dimensions of cricket stumps, so the court was also designed for practicing cricket in! Shame there's no flood lights!

Just get a load of mates with some torches :laugh:

Seriously, if you nurture a stock leg break, you're flying, you've mastered the variants, so you're one step ahead of the game, but with no leg break your 5 steps backwards!

Here's another question - I've heard Warne talk about bowling and he approaches it with trying to get the batsman to play certain shots which is fine for him as he's potentially the best in the world. But the rest of us I'm sure are just trying to get some spin on the ball and deliver it into certain areas whilst trying to remember that we need to vary the pace etc. What does everyone else do - do you all visualise a spot on the wicket where you're trying to get the ball to land or are you factoring in the responses of the batsman or is it best to completely ignore the batsman and stick to a game plan and wait for the batsman to make a mistake? I think last year I was taking too much notice of the batsman and responding to what he was doing - does anyone think that was wrong or the right thing to do?

First 6 against the batsmen, he isn't there, i could go for 36 (6x6's ;)) and i wouldn't be phased as i'm just nudging into it.

Ok, i might be lying the batsmen is there, if he makes a hash of a ball i land in a certain area i'll prod a little more to see what happens, i just feel him out in the first 6.

After that i put together a strategic plan, either keep him on strike to build pressure, or get him off strike and have a go at the other one.

I dont try to get the batsmen playing certain shots, i just want to get him playing, it shows confidence. If hes going for it, i can work with that, as he's leaving gaps between bat and pad, and between pad and pad if i get enough spin.

Simbazz I wish I had mates or even members of my team that were that dedicated enough to even carry on practicing through the winter! Last year I did and we had regular practice sessions every fortnight in the nets for 2 hours costing us a lot of money each time, but if you've read my blog (private one) at all you may have read that they all got disillusioned with the game after being beaten so badly and the survivors of the original team is kind of disbanded whilst two of the key players are on year long holidays around the world. I was the only one that was so into it that I went and got myself into a proper cricket club.

Even the proper cricket club blokes who appear to be totally dedicated to the sport and it's their lives seems to shut up shop in October and don't come out of their houses again till April! So I'm on my own with no torch holders :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back