Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

At last I've got my little video camera sorted and have been testing it today with a view to posting some clips of me doing some of the stuff I've been ranting about on here! All I've got to do is figure out how to edit the AVI clips within youtube and I'll be ready for action. I'll be looking for comments on my run-in and follow through in the short term and I'll hopefully post some clips on Sunday night.

Update - I've done it and here's the first exploratory clip. You've got to remember this clip was primarily about shooting the footage and getting it downloaded to Youtube and testing to see if you can all link to it, so please click on the link and see if it works! Or copy and paste it into your browser.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iE_F4AUoMc"]YouTube - Leg Spin bowling Top Spinner practice[/ame]

The thing I was picked up on recently in the nets was that my follow through was short - I bowled the ball and stopped. I think I do this in the first instance in this clip and then remember to follow through more with the next ball. But I did notice that on youtube there's the BBC Terry Jenner clip and his follow through is very under-stated?

Got absolutely spanked today. 3 overs, 0/30. Not the confidence booster I needed before the finals.

Dave, it looked like you were dragging the ball down to the off side alot. You might be gripping the ball too hard, letting it go later, or your arm my be in the wrong position.

Sean, hopefully tomorrow I'll have a bunch of video clips from 2 or 3 angles and you can all have a look and tell me what you reckon.

Yeah - what happened today with you then?

Having had a quick look at your clip, Dave, may I comment on your arm height. It it reasonably high and this could be the reason for the top spinning strength.

Personally, I'd suggest working off one step and getting a really solid base with which to work from. Having a reasonably wide delivery stride is good as leg spin is an explosive action.

Will add more in the morning.

Cheers mate, any comments appreciated as I said hopefully tomorrow (In the freezing cold) I'll be able to get out on the grass and bowl a few overs and film it from at least 2 angles. I'm currently intending on shooting a wide shot from the side in order that you can see my run-in and delivery, so the length will be visible and flight. Then I'll do some from one of the ends - more than likely the end I'm bowling to so that you can see how much spin I'm getting and the accuracy I'm getting with my length and width. :(

Well, all I can say is the guy was a hack. And I've been living 3 doors away since the year 2000-2007. We went to the nets alot and he always smashed me. He hit me for 2 massive sixes in 1 over. My confidence was absolutely shot.

I just can't bowl to hacks. But saying that, he had very good feet work. No matter where I put it, he'd nearly always go for it. As they always say, keep tossing it up if you get hit, and I did that. Thinking back, I probably should've bowled alot flatter.

good luck in the morning Dave, I've just got in the house it was -5 outside so it could be a chilly frosty morning.

I'm sure just the fact that you've practiced with the bloke in the past makes a big difference. A bloke I practiced with a lot last year I had the same thing with. Initially when we first met I'd bowl him ocassionally, but then as he got used to my bowling in practice his confidence grew and he'd always be able to read me. I wouldn't worry about - you'll see next week different batsmen and it'll be a different story.

Yep, having had another look, the arm height is something that is a sticking point to me.

Ideally you'd be using your front arm more. Keep it tight to your body and pull down in order to allow you body to come through.

Hmm, today has been interesting - disheartening in lots of ways. I'd said that I'd upload some video clips of my bowling for people to comment on but I'm not sure I'm up for taking such a hammering.

I've looked at the clips and my initial thought was "That just looks ridiculously slow". I had a mate join me who played with us last year, the blokes not a cricket player and in the few games we played last year he was bowled for a duck everytime, as I recall last year he just went for every ball really aggressively and was caught each time. But with no fielders around and with no pressure he can get on the end of almost anything and hit it. So initially this is what he was doing. No matter what I bowled he was just moving and getting the bat on it. He seems to have amazing eye to ball awareness and reacts very late and in practice situations like today he managed to knock me all over the park. (he's left handed).

I was beating myself about it a bit and then I realised that if you were to crank up the pressure it would more than likely affect the way he played? So remembering something David Hinchcliffe had recommended to me last summer we changed the dynamics of the confrontation e.g. "Six balls left and you've got to score 20 runs". That then changed everything and he was far less affective. Also in a game situation we'd have just placed fielders in positions to catch the ball and again his batting would have been shown up for it's weaknesses, he concedes that he's not an accomplished batsman, just strong with quick reactions. So having thought about it like that I'm feeling slightly better.

I also noticed looking at the video clip that my balls are very flighty and are in the air seemingly ages and again I was thinking this looks so wrong, but then I looked at some of the clips on-line - (Terry Jenner clips) and my flight looks similar. But then looking at the clips on the cloverdale videos McGill appears to bowl with less height but much faster?

I suppose the ground is still soaked so there's hardly any bounce in it and other factors. Looking at the cloverdale video I'm slightly heartened as some of what I do looks spot on and it looks as though if I keep practicing the line and length accuracy, if I vary what I'm doing it should all come together. Again, going back to today I noticed that the speed of the delivery really bamboozled my mate, so maybe it wasn't all so bad? In a game situation with fielders maybe I wouldn't have clean bowled him which I only managed to do once today, but he'd have been caught behind and out at point again and again.

What he did conceded was that since last year my line and length accuracy had improved. I also noted tonight in the cloverdale video Terry Jenner says when talking about Wrong Un's "Don't bowl it so often that you lose your Leg Break". It looks like this is what I've done, I tried several today and they did turn a bit every now and then but nothing like my Wrong Uns.
As for the videos - I've been in two minds about posting them, but have decided to post one of them, I still need to sort out how to position the camera for best affect. All I'm asking for with regards this one is my run in - what's it like? Anyone offer any advice?

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUv2mFcGqxw[/ame]

It's only worth looking at the first minute, I think the rest of the clip we're out of frame collecting balls, I did try and edit it, but it doesn't seemed to have happened.

Not being an expert on leg spin, my initial thoughts are:

1. Longish run-up (hard to tell though) - you go out of shot for one ball but continue your approach anyway. It may be better to have a set mark and 'prepare' yourself before every ball
2. Angle of approach seems wide (need a behind the stumps view though)
3. You get very sideways on - it just looks funny to me, but then again it could be the angle.

As I said, the above we're just my initial thoughts and I'm bearing in mind that it was a chilly February afternoon with a damp ball etc.

Glad you said all that, I thought the camera work was a bit ropey as well. Do you reckon just get the run up and bowling action in the frame next time viewed from the side and not to worry at this stage with where the ball ends up - as I'm looking for comments on run-up, bowling action and follow through initially?

I would bowl as normal as you can, so that we get a true idea of your approach and run up etc, but don't worry about trying to get the whole pitch in shot.

Something which just covers the run-up and a little bit beyond the crease would be enough. If possible film but behind, in front and from both side way angles -it just helps to compare and contrast, and should mean that nothing is missed.

Dave, it seems that your front arm is way too low. You need to get that front arm up. You seem to be keeping that down, and if you're bowling wayward, you need to get it up. You seem to jog in like a medium pacer. A bit like Stuey MacGill. And you need to get a bit more front on. If I'm not busy on the weekend, I'll see if I can post a video of my action. It'll be crappy quality though.

Nice one Sean - post your vid. A couple of people have mentioned the run in and this video is a bit misleading as my run-in is short (5 steps in think) but in this video there's a bucket full of balls just out of shot so I disappear out of the frame and then walk straight into the bowling giving the impression I've got a long run-in. When there's some good weather again I'll do some more and shoot the footage of the run-in only from the side and from the back as close as I can get.

As for the arm , yeah I can see that and did at some point emphasise the action more during the session, but not in this clip. I'll try and remember and try your suggestion and see what happens.

With regards the front-on aspect, I've been told to go more side-on before now I'm sure? I'll stick with side on in the short term till I post the next vid and then we'll have a look. But I'm now going to look at Warne, Jenner and McGill and see how side-on or front-on they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back