Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Yeah, just looked at Jenner and he's pretty front on if you look at the BBC youtube clip 2:50 secs in. But then if you look at the bit where he's explaining how to do it he's more sideways? 1:50 into the clip.

Yeah and Warnes pretty front on as well and McGill, so that's obviously something I'll have to work at, or at least look at.

Hi there i lost my concentration after the 5th page and im not sure if anyone ask this question yet hahaha
the question is..... When i bowl the flipper i get a sore middle finger after a few bowl... and i think i might have caused it by that clicking finger action. Does anyone get this kinda result after a few bowl of the flipper?? or is it just me.......

plus i just started playing cricket and im 20 years young. ;p am i too old to start???
i love wrist spin :)

If I started when I was 45 I can't see that 20 is a problem! Last summer I remember I had to rest my finger as it got sore - the soft padded bit got what felt like a blister deep inside the skin rather than on the surface.

Glad to find someone else that bowls flippers! What do you reckon to it? How long did it take to learn how to do it and what's your line and length like? Does your flipper turn like a leg break?

You'll have to learn how to deal with the callouses Dave, Benaud used to suffer badly from them, to the point of almost giving up the game.

Gothim - you're never too young to start playing the game.

Yay hahaha good to know that im not too young :p
Dave: my flipper does turn slightly. but it travels lower. is that how it suppose to go???? because the ball suppose to spin backward right??? and i heard that flipper are more effective when they are a tad faster that leg break. is that true?? i just learn how to bowl it but i dont know when to use it lol

and i think i read a post by you that asked how long it take other leg spinners to learn how to bowl each deliveries.
hopefuly i read it right so i don't embarrass myself :p
it took me a while to learn leg break properly now i start to get massive turn which is really rewarding. After i got that under controlled i start to learn the top spinner and wrong'un and slider. These three didn't take me that long and finally my wrong'un is getting more turn yay hahaha.
Flipper is a b*tch though how about you???

I started with the Leg Break but moved on to the flipper far too soon once I'd seen it bowled and explained by Warne. In fact if you think about it (This is my perspective) the videos if watched in isolation without any coaching by people with experience stand to do as much damage as good. The Flipper really did appeal to me and I was able to bowl it really quite quickly and that kind of encouraged me to learn all the others in quick succession. But there's been a real downside to the story - I'm crap at the Leg Break.

All the others I'm fine with, I sort of avoid the slider - I find if bowl it very rarely it seems to work, but if I practice it, it kind of goes haywire on me and to be honest I'm not sure if I bowl it correctly anyway. In order of preference I'm bowling Top Spinners, Flippers. Wrong Uns and trying to get the Leg Break going again.

I bowl flippers in all sorts of ways, big loopy balls that almost stop when they hit the ground because of the back-spin. Fast ones that are fairly straight that skid in really low and medium speed balls that turn from leg to off like a leg break but without much bounce. I think the secret is to not bowl them very much and mix them in with some of the other deliveries. As for getting it right with line and length, it is the ball that is most likely to go wrong as well because of the weird way that its released by clicking your fingers. You'll have probably experienced the "Over click" where the click goes wrong and your fingers get mangled together at what feels like 200mph and hurts! The ball in the meantime shoots off somewhere like square leg. Yeah it is a difficult one to master but somedays on some surfaces I can make it turn like mad. (Yet to do so in a cricket match though).

It is indeed, I think it's in '[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Spin-Cricket-Richie-Benaud/dp/0340833939]My spin on cricket[/ame]'. There is a chapter in there where he talks about his search for a cure for the callouses on his spinning hand.

Cheers for that Tom - that'll go on my birthday list or if I get some spare cash. On a similar subject do you know whether has there been such a thing as a Shane Warne DVD or anyone that bowls Leg Spin where they go into the subject in depth?

I've got the DVD and there is a section with Warney giving a masterclass on all of his variations.

But yeah, I'm in shite form at the moment. Probably the worst in a couple of years. And I've got my Semi Final on Sunday!! I just can't pitch it in the right spot at all. My run up seems screwed, and it doesn't feel right when coming out of the hand. Getting plenty of turn, but just can't get it on the spot.

Have you got someone who can have a look at what you're doing and give you some coaching? Seems your stuffed if the game's Sunday. What are your variations? I think if I was in your position I'd own up and say "I'm playing crap at the moment and I'm not up to it" or Saturday practice your variations and put together a strategy where maybe you're only bowling Top Spinners and Wrong Uns and vary the pace and length to keep them on their toes. I've said before I've seen a bloke bowl 7 maidens out of 10 overs bowling what appeared to be only Top spinners, but every ball was that length that tempted the batsmen out of their crease. It might work if they already know you bowl leg spin and they're expecting the ball to turn to off?

someblokecalleddave said:
Have you got someone who can have a look at what you're doing and give you some coaching? Seems your stuffed if the game's Sunday. What are your variations? I think if I was in your position I'd own up and say "I'm playing crap at the moment and I'm not up to it" or Saturday practice your variations and put together a strategy where maybe you're only bowling Top Spinners and Wrong Uns and vary the pace and length to keep them on their toes. I've said before I've seen a bloke bowl 7 maidens out of 10 overs bowling what appeared to be only Top spinners, but every ball was that length that tempted the batsmen out of their crease. It might work if they already know you bowl leg spin and they're expecting the ball to turn to off?
Well no not really. My coaches aren't spinners, so I don't think they can help me. Why toppy and wrongun are too easy to pick, as my arm goes straight and is alot higher. I'll try and upload a vid. Sorry guys. I just gotta hope like hell we win tomorrow, or the season is over.

ag23 said:
sean upload shanes warnes masterclass vid also :D
Nah, can't mate. Don't wanna get in trouble. Just try youtube. There's a masterclass from him on there somewhere.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTMGS1NiaM[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kilj5oxDdIg[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=037-HLHtclQ[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-zyqexvGhI[/ame]

My action seemed a little rushed, and i don't have a follow through. Sorry the quality is crap, it's from my phone. I think my action was rudshed because I wanted to get in as many balls as possible.

If possible can u shoot it from the Keeper's End taking into consideration the line & length.
Then it will be easy to see Ur body & arm action & arm angle from the shoulder,Toe direction and if possible the wrist movement as well.

im facing a similar problem thats happening to sean at the moment but my one is i went down to the net today and im getting the ball to land on where i want it to but it wasnt turning i check my grip and slow myself down and it wasnt happening.
anyone got any idea???
PS. if you dont know im a beginner leg spinner. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back