Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Field placings I reckon have the potential to have some affect on the psycological battle. Imagine you're the batsman and you realise they've got 2 leg spin bowlers in a team, one steps up for his over and the captain moves a couple of blokes around in different positions and you get through the over quite easily. Then the 2nd bloke steps up and starts moving blokes all over the place crowds them in all around you - the captain stands aside while he does so and takes his place when the bowler tells him where to go - that's going to be suggesting that this 2nd bowler knows exactly what he intends to do and you're in trouble cos he's got a plan and he's giving the impression that it is going to work! Surely that would suggest real confidence not only on his part but also the captains belief in him?

Last year I was new to my team and bowled very inconsistently, so there was no point in positioning blokes in any really creative/strategic manner. I also think it needs a lot of confidence from the bowler to start placing people in positions without consenting with the captain. It's one of those situations where you have to gain the respect of the captain and he trusts you to bowl consistently. You've also got to be confident that you can bowl the "Ball" that you choose. If you listen to some of the videos on-line that feature Warne he talks about getting the batsman to play certain shots rather than what ball/variation he bowls.

With regards myself it's looking like this coming season I'll be playing cricket for a proper team and also a team of blokes that are going to be playing cricket properly for the first time, but in a far less formal environment. Needless to say in the less formal team, I'm expecting that my bowling will be more affective and I'm assuming that I'll be confident enough to set fielding positions as a tactic. I'm hoping as the season progresses if I can get more confident I'll may start to do the same thing in the formal situation?

With regards the 1:1 situation without setting the batsman targets he is free of any constraints and pressure and will just simply dance down the wicket and knock the ball for 4's consistently. Another variation of the same 1:1 practice is also to put some kind of markers down where you'd place your fielders - so then if the ball is batted into the areas where the markers are you can mutually agree that the ball would have been caught or fielded and score accordingly. Needless to say you need at least 6-12 balls to do this otherwise you're forever retrieving the same ball every time it's hit.

someblokecalleddave said:
Last year I was new to my team and bowled very inconsistently, so there was no point in positioning blokes in any really creative/strategic manner.

I don't know, I think that if you're a little inconsistent it can be even more inmortant to place a few fielders in the eye line of the batsman; if you can't create pressure through tight bowler do it by making them feel closed in.

It's not just about having them close in but also where you place them on the boundary or in the deep. Make sure the batsman knows they are there and if he wants to go big he has to clear them first.

I think you're right last year during a disasterous over for me where I was getting knocked for 4's all over the place and the captain did almost exactly as you've said - he had a bloke out at mid off that went on to catch one, but drop 2 and another bloke out at deep square leg who also dropped 2 and this is while I was bowling really badly as far as I was concerned. But if the fielders were of a better standard it may have been a different story? I think the captain could see I was bowling so badly that the batsman was getting the bat onto all the balls, but didn't have the skill to put the balls into the gaps or hit it into the ground and he just put men where this batsman was hitting the ball consistently?

You illustrate my point very well! Unless you're playing a decent level of cricket most batsman haven't got the skill to find the gaps and generally rely on brute force when trying to dominate spinners, often by hitting over the top.

If you can put the element of doubt in their mind, you can often restrict them to 3/5 runs per over, even if you're bowling tripe as well as picking up the odd wicket. That's the bueauty of spin - it's all a game of cat and mouse.

Yeah - but how good must it feel when you can place the ball where you want it and make it turn. I just hope by mid season I can throw 5 top spinners straight down the middle and then a wrong un on the sixth ball that he then assumes is a wide goes after it and it turns into the stumps or his nuts!

I'm just pleased to be progressing as I am at the moment and forcing mistakes just by varying pace and length with the top-spinners. I just can't wait to get out there and face some new batsmen either in a game or just in practice and see if all the things I've been writing about in this thread come together.

Nice to see that you're still going strong with it. I reckon you'll have a bumper season, especially if we get some dry weather to help the pitches a little.

Nothing better than having one come out of the hand, seeing it fizz, bounce and beating the bat.

Yeah - but how good must it feel when you can place the ball where you want it and make it turn. I just hope by mid season I can throw 5 top spinners straight down the middle and then a wrong un on the sixth ball that he then assumes is a wide goes after it and it turns into the stumps or his nuts!

I'm just pleased to be progressing as I am at the moment and forcing mistakes just by varying pace and length with the top-spinners. I just can't wait to get out there and face some new batsmen either in a game or just in practice and see if all the things I've been writing about in this thread come together.

I have to say that I don't generate a lot of turn, but maybe enough to put some doubt there. I rely more on flight and changes in pace to get my wickets. Saying that though I am chuffed if one turns more than normal, even better for the bemused look on the batsmans face! :laugh:

I think there's a lot to be gained by just varying the pace and flight alone.

If you ain't got the ability to rip a ball, if you can control where the ball goes, and change the pace and how it flights in you should be picking up wickets regardless of skill.

It ain't a difficult game is spinning to pick up a few wickets, to get those 5-fers and beyond you need to really know how to bowl it, but otherwise just go with the basics.

lol, i seem to have a problem at turning it too much at the moment when i really give it a rip it turns way to much, had it spinning about 1 and a half width of the stumps even on a not to spin friendly surface. I'm just starting my first season for club and university and i have only played one game so far bowling leg spin and it turned into a mixed bag even though i was pretty acurate.

I expect that most people on here would love to be turning it too much! :D

Keep us posted on how you get on, this thread can be the leg spinner support centre from now on!

With the threat of rain all Sunday waking up to no rain and a bit of sunshine and relative warmth today meant one thing. At some point I was going to have to throw some balls on my own even if only for 3/4 of hour. So after lunch wearing not much more than a t-shirt I set off for 5 tree field.

Probably threw 100 - 125 balls and it went okay. Again I had that realisation that I don't really throw loads of wides anymore which was nice. I threw combinations of Flippers, Wrong Uns and Top spinners and spent a short period trying to bowl Leg Breaks. The main three went well especially the wrong uns and I noticed that even my top spinners tend to drift off to off when I bowl them, but the Wrong Uns themselves were good - slow and fast they were turning nicely. This made me reflect on the question if one my strongest and potentially best ball spins to off does that make me an off spinner rather than a leg spinner? I bowl mostly Flippers mixed in with Wrong Uns and Top spinners and the flipper as I've said many times here spins to leg like a Leg Break - but not as consistently as the Wrong Un. I was thinking about this and thought maybe I'm just a spin bowler not necessarily a Leggie or an Offy just some weird hybrid? That made me think - Let's have another go at the leg break and I tried throwing a few, but they were all over the shop - too long, too loopy and slow and none of them turning.

I find that if I try and bowl Leg break balls over short distances I can get it to turn, but I seem to be able to do this with a really short walk in that ends up with an abrupt stop rather than a follow through. If I then add the follow through I don't get the spin. There seems to be something about me that's not that bothered or defeatist when it comes to the Leg Break, but another part of me wants to be able to do it hence the reason I keep returning to it half heartedly and trying it. A part of me believes that if I was to put the hours in it might come good. I reckon that if I was to get some one to one from someone I might get it, but in the short term it evades me and I'm obviously not that bothered. So surely that means I'm not Leg Spin bowler and I'm in the wrong thread!!!!

hahaha you are very interesting dave :) you can just called yourself a wrong'un bowler. cause i heard a few of people called themselve that.

anyhow i went down to the net yesterday and i was bowling to my mate who was a batsmen by trade and i was bowling my usual leg break which had lots of flight and reasonable pace. and he was just slogging them all over the park so i change my flight to be a bit flatter and faster and he can't hit them at all and i got him out a couple of time (w/ imaginary slips etc hahaha)
my question is should i stick to my flight and slower pace or flatter projectory and quicker bowls??

Nice one I'm a "Wrong Un" or a Bosie Bowler!

I think all the blokes on here that bat and know a bit more than me all say the same thing - you've got to mix it up. Be able to bowl consistently good line and length, but then if faced by someone who can bat and who has confidence - keep them on their toes vary all of it - flight, pace, length and tradjectory. There's several batsmen on here that loathe even bad spinners just because of the unpredictability of their bowling. If it's got all the elements above it doesn't even have to turn it will just force errors.

Gothim!!! said:
my question is should i stick to my flight and slower pace or flatter projectory and quicker bowls??

Mix it up, bowl a complete mixture and keep the batsman playing. The key to it all is to get the batter playing the ball, anything that they can leave is a waste - even if you're getting smotted for 4, at least you have a chance.

Sweet went down to the net with the same batsman again today and i vary the flight and pace and got him hitting the air most of the time and he fend one off and the imaginary wickki got him hahahahaha....

Ummm i got another problem though. ive been practicing my googly but lately i started to loose the turns any idea?? i've been noticing my wrist action and everything but yea i couldnt figure it out :(

Don't worry, as long as you're bowling your leggie okay I wouldn't worry too much. I'd say give the wrong a go every now and then and see if it's working, but I wouldn't spend too much time on it trying to force it otherwise you'll end up like me - "A Wrong Un Bowler"! :laugh:

Keep a vertical arm and the back of the hand facing the bowler as it comes over the top with the cocked wrist and then flick it so it comes out of the back of the hand. I always kind of get a sense that last 2 fingers stay on the ball till the very last fraction of a second and that helps set it on it's spin. But as everyone says don't get too hung up on it otherwise you'll lose your leg break.

What does "ed wrist" mean? From the context I'm guessing it means cocked, but where do I come into it? :)

EDIT: Never mind, in trying to post this message I see where it's coming from - cocked wrist indeed, pc gone mad ::)

edladd said:
What does "ed wrist" mean? From the context I'm guessing it means ed, but where do I come into it? :)

EDIT: Never mind, in trying to post this message I see where it's coming from - ed wrist indeed, pc gone mad ::)

I'm still lost! Maybe for the best. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back