Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

someblokecalleddave said:
ed wrist - I'm sure I wrote it, surely this isn't some inbuilt system for filtering out potentially obscene words in action?

Yeah, there is a built in swear filter but to be honest we never really bothered to go over board in adding words to it.

I've just modified my profile in light of the fact that I can't bowl leg breaks! Seems to me I'm a Googly bowler - I'm quite happy with that though especially after watching some footage of Muraltharan. He's a right armed bowler that turns the ball from off into leg and reading on wikipedia it was interesting to read that he bowls an off spin ball (Googly) and combines it with Top Spin and Flippers. So he's kind of now a model for me to base my bowling on now that I'm a newly designated "Wrong Un bowler"! :laugh:

I've just been looking at more Muralitharan videos on you tube and I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'm very much enthused by the idea that my stock ball might end up being the Wrong Un as it's definitely one of the balls I've got a lot more control over when bowling and it's one that I can get to turn quite readily. I reckon used alongside the Top Spinner and the flipper I might be looking at quite an improvement this coming season?

It's good that it's coming together - I remember you saying before that the wrong'un was tougher on your shoulder. Is it getting easier now that you're bowling it more?

(And what's up with the MPA blog - 20 posts in Feb and none in March? :confused: How am I supposed to waste my employers time and money when there's nothing to read? :laugh:)

Murali is a freak :p oh Dave if you remember i mentioned that i cant get my googly going anymore. If i bowl an off-break instead would it be a good idea?? I mean the batsmen wouldn't pick it up as well cause my palm would still be facing them like my stock ball. Ummmmmmm

Whoa! The mpa blog issue first. I haven't got a clue why that's happening? I've been blogging away like a man possessed and there's loads in March, so much so that I feel like I've been repeating myself and that there's no real news! Here's the link again for edladd and cheers for viewing it!

http://www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/

There's 15 entries for March!

It may be that you're linking to it from the mention on this site and therefore only seeing it from the point that link was made? Could that be it?

With regards gothim's point about bowling offbreak, I'm assuming that you're bowling an offy using finger spin instead of wrist spin? To me that sounds like a good solution and an asset in that you're able to bowl both types of spin?

With regards my own Wrong Uns - I've not got into the kind of endless bowling I was doing last summer. I practice using up to 40 balls and I bowl them all up to one end and then back down again, which means in any one given practice session I easily bowl in exccess of 120 balls. When the weather's better/warmer it's not unusual that I practice 2 times a day so the amount of bowling I was doing was quite intense. I'm fairly certain it was the amount of bowling I was doing combined with throwing in from the outfield that may have cause the problems with my arm and it was bowling Wrong Uns as you've pointed out that used to cause the worst pain.

But at the end of the season while I was still making comments on the ex - harrowdrive forum that David and Liz made some suggestions which basically came down to - warming up and warming down and the right kind of exercises as a part of my training as such. I've been doing the exercises to some extent and as yet I'm not into bowling at the same intensity as I was last year. So far the old arm is performing okay and not giving me any gip yet.

Having said that - while I'm waiting for a response to this post I'll do some exercises!!

It might also be that my whole action and technique has improved? I kind of feel that if you practice too intensively you get into a rut and don't seem to go forward with anything and in an ideal situation you then need someone else to make a suggestion that gets you out of a rut. The other approach is just not to do it for a while and come back to it after a break from it, so that you might break the "Rut cycle". Maybe that's what has happened with me - maybe I was doing so much of the same thing last year that I just got into a situation of stagnation and wasn't going forwards. I feel like some of the stuff I've picked up off all you blokes on here has made a big difference and I'm really looking forward to the start of the season. If the weather improves and I get some more video clips shot I'll be posting them and looking for more comments on my bowling trying to improve further.

Do any of you have a fast ball in your armory?

The leggy in my team does, and, I must say it is pretty easy to pick, but it is very effective because it is really hard to adjust to. It is a bit like the one Warne used to bowl sometimes, always short, but yet it is still effective. Just wondering is any of you guys have one?

Yeah the slider, but I'm not 100% sure I actually bowl it correctly. I've looked at the Terry Jenner video on the BBC website and the Shane Warne clip where he's going over the variations with Mark Nicholas and using that as guidance as to how to bowl it I've developed a "Variation", but to be honest to me it just feels like I'm bowling a normal pace bowlers ball but with the seam turned the wrong way like a leg Spinner. But because the seam is the wrong way it seems to skid in really low with back spin and because I'm not trying to get the ball to turn left, right or with top spin it's just so much faster. Unfortunately it's not a ball that I practice with a lot and I find that if I use it out of the blue it's usually okay, but for some weird reason the more I use it the worse it get!!!!

Other than that for similar reasons as the "Slider" e.g. you're not having to use the wrist flick to put the spin on the ball, my flipper can be speeded up considerably as well.

Re: MPA blog .... Very strange!!! I was typing mpa into the address bar and then letting firefox auto-complete for me - All I was seeing was up to the 18th post in Feb - sickened. Maybe Firefox has some sort of cache functionality???

Should keep me busy for a few hours over the long weekend though :D

I'd be amazed if you were to read most of it!

Anyway here in the UK we're looking at the prospects of a snowy weekend or at least cold sleety rain. Fortunately the weather cleared this morning and was windy so it dried out a bit and I managed to squeeze in an hour with my mate Thomas before it did por down with hailstones. Nothing to write home about other than it was one of those practice sessions where nothing went right and nothing felt right. I'm not going to dwell on it because I reckon you can just have really bad days and this was one of them.

I know what you mean Dave, i had a few hours down the net in that hail and snow and nothing pulled off. Grip wasn't the best either but its a few hours more under the belt.

In good news, the batting is coming on well, shaping up the drives, and hooks.

One problem, a new shoulder tweak, same every bloody preseason.

someblokecalleddave said:
What the Blog is strange? (Could easily be seen as strange I suppose)? Or the fact that you were only able to see one entry? :confused:

:laugh: Strange I couldn't see it!! It's a good read Dave, I'm looking forward to the games starting - hopefully the hard work will pay off and you can get a few batsmen in trouble :)

Cheers for the comments re the blog. My team captain (our best Leg Spinner) reads it as well and I thought he was taking the Mick when he said he thought it was good, but he emailed me last night saying the same as you - that he thought it was a good read and that he follows it avidly and looks forward to reading the updates and has even offered to play in the teams if it all comes together with these blokes that I'm trying to entice into playing proper cricket.

I had a bat yesterday and have found that the whole moving your feet thing works for me which is so obvious - but just wasn't something that I was doing last year. I've also got a hip guard and a forearm guard now and what with being hit square in the ribs last year now know how much it does/doesn't hurt and just feel a lot more confident about batting. As a consequence I'm batting in a more confident and attacking style and it seems to work. If I can score a few runs each time I play and I mean 10 runs per match I'd see that as a massive improvement. I also tried to just glance the ball off the bat finely to leg and off as well yesterday and that was fairly successful.

Hook shots down the leg side would be something I'd love to be able to do and have done with really slow bowlers, but anything faster than ridiculously slow and straight is a while off yet!

Turns out that I'm coming down with a cold this morning and I reckon that's why I was bowling so bad yesterday (That's my excuse)! :laugh:

Simon - what happens with your shoulder - what does Liz say? Have you rested it for a long while - say 3 or 4 weeks to see what happens? What exercises do you do to keep it in shape?

Tore the muscle at the end of the season before last :) So it means that for the past two pre-seasons (Although last years started late for me) i've had to get it back into the routine of turning my shoulder over.

Its one of those which once its warmed and strong from pre-season, its fine for the season, unless i take a knock like last year when it took a ball straight to it, although i did save the Umpire from a headache ;)

I see you've given up on the Leg-spinners Dave, why? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back