Money Shield 2013/2014

Can newcomers NEWCC make any noise in Money? Tough playing against all firsts sides, and they won the flag from third so didn't exactly dominate B grade but good on em for having a crack! Thoughts on their prospects?
And could this be Boro's year in other news!?

Can newcomers NEWCC make any noise in Money? Tough playing against all firsts sides, and they won the flag from third so didn't exactly dominate B grade but good on em for having a crack! Thoughts on their prospects?

Wouldn't have thought so mate, NEW will struggle. As for Greenborough.. I think when you knock a side over for ~130 in the granny you should be chasing that down and going up. May well have missed there chance. I don't expect them to go backwards as they've got a reasonably young list, however I think some other sides might overtake them.

Camrea and SM are the winners in NEW coming up. It saves them from being relegated. NEW will not be competitive, will not win a game. What a waste of time, they may as well be known as a bye.

While I don't think NEW will win the flag, they should do ok. I played against them in B grade last year and I thought they were a decent side. Their objective should be to hang onto their promotion this season.

I think it all falls back to training, for any side that gains a promotion in the 4 highest grades. If training doesn't improve in quality as a team progresses they run the real risk of getting demoted again. Rarely does anyone rise to the level of their expectations, rather you fall to the level of your training (although this season was a bit of a mess due to the restructuring of the comp with extra teams).

While I don't think NEW will win the flag, they should do ok. I played against them in B grade last year and I thought they were a decent side. Their objective should be to hang onto their promotion this season.

I think it all falls back to training, for any side that gains a promotion in the 4 highest grades. If training doesn't improve in quality as a team progresses they run the real risk of getting demoted again. Rarely does anyone rise to the level of their expectations, rather you fall to the level of your training (although this season was a bit of a mess due to the restructuring of the comp with extra teams).

Just as a matter of interest, how do you know enough about the training levels of other clubs to make these claims?

Because I go around to all the clubs, sit in the bushes in a trench coat with binoculars, spying on everyone.....

I didn't mention anything about any club specifically because I don't know, but it's just common sense that if a team continues up the grades that the quality of training for those players needs to keep pace with them (at very least). As an extreme example; would you prepare BS opening batsmen by having F grade players bowl at him in the nets?

NEW will be absolutely thrashed this year in Money Shield. I saw them last year and they looked like a typical B grade team. Big gap between B grade and Money Shield. Forget training, the biggest problem with B grade is always availability. NEW were no different last year. They had 33 players in their seconds. Two or three ring-ins each game will seriously weaken a team.

Because I go around to all the clubs, sit in the bushes in a trench coat with binoculars, spying on everyone.....

I didn't mention anything about any club specifically because I don't know, but it's just common sense that if a team continues up the grades that the quality of training for those players needs to keep pace with them (at very least). As an extreme example; would you prepare BS opening batsmen by having F grade players bowl at him in the nets?

Your unsupported theory may be correct, who knows.

My unsupported theory??? Forget training??? Well ok, we might as well go to the bar on Tuesday and Thursday nights because apparently it's only an unsupported theory that training can improve ones skills.

Training is often limited by numbers at training. Somewhere clubs like NEW, DC should be advantaged. Players will look to a coach and say, how will training under you be different. (ie. from the classic turn up, bat, bowl then finish with 1/2 hr fielding). Personally I'm a big fan of players taking responsibility of there own preparation. If you want to work on your catching, footwork, technique etc then drag someone away to work on it with you. But doing this requires enough people at training to be able to drag people away and still have enough bowlers in the nets.

In NEW's case. If you look back at how it worked out for Riverside, since then Money shield has gained Banyule, Heidelberg, Camerea and LS (from BS). Hurstbridge (from B). and lost Mill Park, TU and PH. The grade has undoubtedly strengthened, and will be a tough year for NEW. I think they'll get pumped most games. Might win 1 or 2 but will probably still be relegated. I still admire them for having a crack. If you look across at the ECA a couple of clubs have had there 2nds go up and compete with reasonable success. Certainly helps develop depth at a club. Gives more players on the list a taste of 1st XI cricket.

My unsupported theory??? Forget training??? Well ok, we might as well go to the bar on Tuesday and Thursday nights because apparently it's only an unsupported theory that training can improve ones skills.

Your unsupported theory was that whether or not a promoted team stays up or not depends upon whether or not its training level improves. It sounds unlikely, but not impossible. However, in view of your admission that you have no evidence whatever to support it, you're probably quite correct to do what you've done in now backing away from it.

Not backing away from it at all, but I'm afraid I just can't put it any simpler that; on field performance relates directly to quality of training. I'd draw you a picture but I'm all out of crayons.

Not backing away from it at all, but I'm afraid I just can't put it any simpler that; on field performance relates directly to quality of training. I'd draw you a picture but I'm all out of crayons.

No doubt quality of training has an effect on performance, you're spot on.

But, attendance, intent and committment from players has a massive effect on quality of training too.

How has training been at BU so far? Interesting to hear with all the new additions how it has been, can you shed some light?

No doubt quality of training has an effect on performance, you're spot on.

But, attendance, intent and committment from players has a massive effect on quality of training too.

How has training been at BU so far? Interesting to hear with all the new additions how it has been, can you shed some light?

Oh no doubt. I've been only to a few session but last week we had 35 which is great. Just like many clubs, we've been at Bundoora Indoor mostly which I personally think is a complete waste of time and money for any club (despite the improvement to facilities there) due to the fact it's painted black behind the bowlers arm and the carpet just bears no resemblance to the pitches. With all the additions I think blokes are going to have to fight for their spots, which will have a positive effect. Nothing like the risk of being dropped to draw the best out of players.

Back