Money Shield 2013/2014

Any clubs been training with the new platypus balls? Just picked ours up from Stan's and they look disgusting, very dark.

I know many bowlers that prefer them to be as dark as possible... Not great to see when batting at 5:30 in the first few games.

quote="Tongs, post: 557965, member: 9112"]I know many bowlers that prefer them to be as dark as possible... Not great to see when batting at 5:30 in the first few games.[/quote]
Obviously the bowlers will love them, the training balls are closer to black than red, and the stamp on the match ball is actually indented in the ball, I can see them doing a bit through the air, going to be interesting.

Does anyone know who made the type of "OVAL" shaped thing that the DVCA used in U18s last year. I heard they were Platypus with DVCA stamped on them.

I'm gonna have a guess and say because the platypus balls are cheaper.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the DVCA advised all the clubs that they will sign a contract with Kookaburra for a couple of years, then go to Platypus for a couple of years to see which balls were the favored of the clubs, and the only way to work out the best ball is to test them both (Something along those lines).

I am sure the DVCA receive a good sponsorship out of it too.

Wont matter which seed they make us use, blokes like baker, salvatore, whale, tongs and myself could all swing an apple! Good on the dvca though. Made a mockery of local cricket bringing in these crap pitches. Had to even it up by bringing in 4piecers and now probably sub standard balls. Dark balls dont swing as much do they? Or is that just a myth..

Who cares what balls are used, as long as it's a four piece. Same with the pitches. Everyone has got to use the same balls & play on the pitches. Carry on

Who cares what balls are used, as long as it's a four piece. Same with the pitches. Everyone has got to use the same balls & play on the pitches. Carry on

Don't agree re: the pitches. They're shit. Simple as that. Sloooow and bounce too much. Too hard to get an LBW, too many bounce over the stumps and a spinner pretty much has to hope to get all his wickets caught behind, in the field or stumped... which is hard when the keeper takes it so high... Hence there almost are none. Its ruining the early development of juniors too. Cricket Australia should be doing more work with manufacturers to get pitches that play closer to turf.

Agree with the ball. Spent most the time playing with Platypus so won't make any difference. Hopefully they do a bit more. Thought the Kookaburra didn't last long enough. We'll see. Although they weren't using the regulation so perhaps that was part of the issue. Next up the SG, then the Duke.

I'll have another crack at the top 4 in no particular order.

Greensborough
BU
Eltham
Montmorency

Platypus balls don't swing for long at all. It should mean the batsmen get more runs. But the pitches are still death traps so who knows.

Been using the new match balls at training and to honest they are terrible, dark in color, laquer is crap as it just cracks and flakes off and no chance of shining it once it goes, and ball then goes soft. Terrible cricket balls, there's a reason 95% of comps don't use them and its not hard to figure out why! The quicker the so called trial is over the better then the comp can go back to kookaburra! Substandard pitches now substandard balls. People use the everyone has to use them argument but that's just crap, we want to be known for having a quality competition, kookaburra balls are fair to all players, swing for 20-25 overs , then stay hard once shine goes and bowlers have to earn there wkts in middle of the day and then if there good enough they reverse later on, a fair cricket ball for batters and bowlers! Bring them back I say!

Been using the new match balls at training and to honest they are terrible, dark in color, laquer is crap as it just cracks and flakes off and no chance of shining it once it goes, and ball then goes soft. Terrible cricket balls, there's a reason 95% of comps don't use them and its not hard to figure out why! The quicker the so called trial is over the better then the comp can go back to kookaburra! Substandard pitches now substandard balls. People use the everyone has to use them argument but that's just crap, we want to be known for having a quality competition, kookaburra balls are fair to all players, swing for 20-25 overs , then stay hard once shine goes and bowlers have to earn there wkts in middle of the day and then if there good enough they reverse later on, a fair cricket ball for batters and bowlers! Bring them back I say!
could it be the balls you are using at training get ruined quickly because of the nets? I said earlier these new darker balls don't swing but for the purposes of evening up the comp a bit, due to the uneven pitches throughout the comp (agree 100% with shortnwide) give them a trial. How can any bowlers, even part time pie hurlers like myself, get close to lbws when the ball balloons over the pegs from a good length? agree with juniors development too. Almost impossible for kids who want to learn to bowl spin.. And you go from lalor stars to macleod to plenty or anywhere really and they are all different. Then i hear elthams pitch now is a batting paradise! In some regards, the dvca is like a turf comp because in a turf comp all pitches are different! Although we play on synthetic decks, no 2 pitches are the same anywhere in the valley

Don't agree re: the pitches. They're shit. Simple as that. Sloooow and bounce too much. Too hard to get an LBW, too many bounce over the stumps and a spinner pretty much has to hope to get all his wickets caught behind, in the field or stumped... which is hard when the keeper takes it so high... Hence there almost are none. Its ruining the early development of juniors too. Cricket Australia should be doing more work with manufacturers to get pitches that play closer to turf.

Agree with the ball. Spent most the time playing with Platypus so won't make any difference. Hopefully they do a bit more. Thought the Kookaburra didn't last long enough. We'll see. Although they weren't using the regulation so perhaps that was part of the issue. Next up the SG, then the Duke.

Greensborough
BU
Eltham
Montmorency

Obviously havent played much in the Valley with our umpires....

Greensborough
BU
Eltham
Montmorency

According to a lot of people, round 1 has thrown up a pretty big game.
Eltham and Hurstbridge should be another close one, and Mont v Stars could be a sigther for rest of the year.
Always important to get some wins on the board early.

According to a lot of people, round 1 has thrown up a pretty big game.
Eltham and Hurstbridge should be another close one, and Mont v Stars could be a sigther for rest of the year.
Always important to get some wins on the board early.

Its important to get wins on the board early, 100% agree. Just like a normal game, runs on the board gets you wins more often than not. But i wouldn't be reading too much into finals based on what you see round 1. There's still a lot of cob webs with blokes, weather, availability early etc.

I experienced the new balls for the first time yesterday in a practice match. In my opinion, they are disgusting. It was pitch black, the gold print stamped deep into the ball so there was an obvious imprint, and the lacquer seems to be so thick. It reminded me of the first ever $5 “real” cricket ball you get for Christmas as an 8yo. As hard as cement and looks rubbish.

Will last three games, then all clubs will kick up such a fuss, and the Kooka will be back.

Most clubs would be happy to pay an additional $500 is affiliation fees than have to put up with the black dud balls.

Back