Pre-Ashes 2010/11 Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pre-Ashes 2010/11 Discussion thread.

Have I? Didnt realise there was anything new to respond to, just seems to be the same biased rubbish, nothing I post will change anything, you will keep repeating the same stuff, non Australians playing for Australia are true Aussies, English born players playing for England are true Aussies :D

2mq95c6.jpg

It is stupid to argue who is the most Australian or English

No-one is arguing that at all champ.

I'm simply saying that Trott and Kieswetter are South Africans playing for England.

England is nearly as bad as the Melbourne Storm.

eddiesmith;398499 said:
Have I? Didnt realise there was anything new to respond to, just seems to be the same biased rubbish, nothing I post will change anything, you will keep repeating the same stuff, non Australians playing for Australia are true Aussies, English born players playing for England are true Aussies :D

Surely you jest?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398508 said:
No-one is arguing that at all champ.

I'm simply saying that Trott and Kieswetter are South Africans playing for England.

Actually, someone is arguing that (Hint: it's you, 'champ'). Look at you sig for evidence.

courtjester;398110 said:
Just as a sideline, do you think that we will see any retirements after the series ends? The Ashes is basically the pinnacle for Aus cricketers, and we have some guys (Hussey, Katich, Ponting & Haddin) getting pretty old now. I reckon Katich and Hussey will play til they're dropped, considering they made late starts, but I wonder how much longer Ponting will go for to be honest. Haddin only needs to drop a catch or two and fail with the bat before the questions will be asked. If these guys dont have a good series, the media will get the knives out quick I reckon.

This was the second post, and since I haven't seen this while it has been up I shall say my part to this.

I wouldn't say anything against Ponting for retiring after this one. I think it would be the perfect time to sign out with a series win looking more likely than a loss.

He would then play on for the ODI World Cup and finish up all cricket 6 months later.

By then he will become the second highest run scorer in Test cricket, and will have played over 150 Test matches. He will be averaging above 55 and will most probably become the second only person to ever reach 40 centuries (at 39 now).

Not too bad a time to retire if you ask me. He finishes with an Ashes, a World Cup and hopefully a win in each.

He's also slowly going downhill. It's best for him to finish on a high rather than have that tap on the shoulder. Just think what it did for Martyn and Hayden as the latest examples. The general consensus lately seems to be that neither are anywhere near the heights that they reached in their career. If Ponting retires now that is still in our memories (although it is getting pretty vague).

I think it's the perfect time.

What a absurd post Boris; Tendulkar was said to going downhill back in 2006 and now look at him now. It wasn't long ago that Ponting was reeling off a double ton and a near ton in the same match. It wasn't long ago that Ponting was leading a valiant last ditch effort attempting to chase down a massive total to avoid losing the Ashes, it was arguably one of the more inspiring knocks I have ever seen on a cricket field before being cruelly cut short via a run out. Peter Roebuck said the knock had the potential to be one of the greatest ever seen.

People don't understand the greatness of Ponting as a batsmen; Ponting has been playing injured for half the summer after having his arm smashed by Roach.

I don't think Ponting will retire after the Ashes, form permitting, I think he will retire after the 2012/13 season against India at home in Australia.

Ignoring yet another revolting Ponting swoon-fest in the making, he doesn't necessarily have to be on the way down to be looking at retiring. Many cricketers (and indeed sportsmen) retire at the top of their game rather than push on past their prime, before the axe inevitably falls on them.

Warne and McGrath are great examples of players who could easily have kept playing, but didn't. On the other hand, you've got players like Hayden, who refused to accept his fate and kept playing until he was pushed out, in an embarrassing finale not fitting a player of his calibre.

I don't see the point in a player trying to extend their career for another year or two when they're clearly not up to it, and most players seem to have the same mindset. Nor am I saying that Ponting is going to be 'past it' in after the ashes, but I don't think he will necessarily play right up until he is physcial incapable of doing so at the top level(which he may well be by 2012/13).

To be fair, Hayden had reeled off 3 tons in as many test matchs against India in the 2008/09 season at home, no-one could have predicted that in 12 months time he would be out of the side.

He got injured in the IPL and didn't play in tests again until the tour of India, his form at the end of that tour was promising with a couple of 80's, to say that he had an 'embarrassing finale' is simply incorrect. Once Hayden got home he copped an unlucky decision or 2, got ran out, and simply couldn't find at rhythm to his batting.

He didn't linger on, he accepted his fate at the end of the summer and retired.

I get sick and tired of people on these boards just pedelling incorrecting information.

I'm the same as A For Effort.

I think it's the perfect time for him.

I'm a big thing with the mental side of the game, players rights and honouring a player's contribution.

There is no better time for him to retire after the Ashes, giving Clarke a good warm up over the series and letting himself just fade out.

He can have a big farewell at every ground as he goes around just like McGrath and Warne.

Doesn't mean we have to not be sad that he's going, but I think it's the right time for him.

Hussey and Katich can play on, and it lessons the next 'transistion' that you say will be tougher anyway LtD. This will make it easier.

I'm not going to be annoyed if he doesn't, but I think it's the right thing to do.

Hayden's last 17 test innings:

0, 13, 0, 29, 83, 16*, 16, 77, 8, 0, 24, 12, 4, 8, 23, 31, 39.

The media had been calling for his head for a while before he was nudged into retiring.

Spare us the revisionist history in defence of a fellow "PROUD QUEENSLANDER".

Boris;398579 said:
I'm the same as A For Effort.

I think it's the perfect time for him.

I'm a big thing with the mental side of the game, players rights and honouring a player's contribution.

There is no better time for him to retire after the Ashes, giving Clarke a good warm up over the series and letting himself just fade out.

He can have a big farewell at every ground as he goes around just like McGrath and Warne.

Doesn't mean we have to not be sad that he's going, but I think it's the right time for him.

Hussey and Katich can play on, and it lessons the next 'transistion' that you say will be tougher anyway LtD. This will make it easier.

I'm not going to be annoyed if he doesn't, but I think it's the right thing to do.

How patronizing?

Lets all 'honour Ponting's contribution'.

What crap, why the hell would Ponting feel the need to announce to everyone before a massive series that his going to retire so he can have a big farewell.

Ponting probably couldn't care less whether he is fare welled or not.

If Ponting were going to retire he'd announce it a few weeks after the team got back from the World Cup. I can't see Ponting announcing his retirement before the Ashes begins; if Australia seal the series before the Boxing day test than maybe Ponting might say, 'look, Im going to call it quits after the World Cup'. However, Ponting doesn't come across to be as that way inclined; I don't think his going to want a farewell, he'll rather win the Ashes back, do well in the World Cup, come home, and announce it while the team is having a break.

If he were to announce his retirement in November before the Ashes starts, I would be extremely surprised.

a for effort;398584 said:
Hayden's last 17 test innings:

0, 13, 0, 29, 83, 16*, 16, 77, 8, 0, 24, 12, 4, 8, 23, 31, 39.

The media had been calling for his head for a while before he was nudged into retiring.

Spare us the revisionist history in defence of a fellow "PROUD QUEENSLANDER".

Those 2 half tons came at the end of the Indian tour, and it looked like Hayden was returning to form after a lay-off.

Im not revising anything champ, simply telling it like it is.

Haydens form 2008/09 season

43, 17, 33, 124, 47, 13, 123, 103 @ 62

Why don't you give the entire story, rather than a selection of facts to support your opinions.

The story is pretty simple to follow: Hayden had a superb 2008/09 season, got injured at the IPL - missed the West Indies tour, returned for the Indian tour, started slowly, found form near the end of the tour, returned home and struggled to get into a decent rhythm, retired at the end of the season.

The fact that it was an embarrassing finale, as you put it, is simply crap.

Thank You.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398586 said:
How patronizing?

Lets all 'honour Ponting's contribution'.

What crap, why the hell would Ponting feel the need to announce to everyone before a massive series that his going to retire so he can have a big farewell.

Ponting probably couldn't care less whether he is fare welled or not.

If Ponting were going to retire he'd announce it a few weeks after the team got back from the World Cup. I can't see Ponting announcing his retirement before the Ashes begins; if Australia seal the series before the Boxing day test than maybe Ponting might say, 'look, Im going to call it quits after the World Cup'. However, Ponting doesn't come across to be as that way inclined; I don't think his going to want a farewell, he'll rather win the Ashes back, do well in the World Cup, come home, and announce it while the team is having a break.

If he were to announce his retirement in November before the Ashes starts, I would be extremely surprised.

I meant if he would like to.

I had the feeling that if I didn't say that then you would say the opposite and wonder why Ponting doesn't get a farewell, just to argue the point.

I'm not saying 'Ponting is crap, he must go'. I'm saying he has to go sometime, and why not after the biggest event traditionally, emotionally, historically and with relative popularity in modern sport, and perhaps of all time.

He has served the country for something like 18 years(?), he has been absolutely extraordinary in every facet of the game, and now we have to work out how to survive without him.

We might as well worry about that after the biggest two events, and he should have a fitting farewell however he chooses to have it.

Ever thought that sometimes people don't like farewells?

Ponting won't be worrying about farewells, he isn't even really well liked by the Australian public, Ponting will be concentrating on the Ashes and the World Cup, not parades or farewells.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398591 said:
Ever thought that sometimes people don't like farewells?

Ponting won't be worrying about farewells, he isn't even really well liked by the Australian public, Ponting will be concentrating on the Ashes and the World Cup, not parades or farewells.

Boris;398590 said:
We might as well worry about that after the biggest two events, and he should have a fitting farewell however he chooses to have it.

And there I have answered it.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398593 said:
Well done Boris.

You and me are the best posters on these boards.

You forgetting brickwaller? :D

But seriously. If Ponting wants the farewell, then he can have it. If he doesn't then he doesn't have it.

As long as it doesn't distract him or his team from the game it is fine.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398587 said:
Those 2 half tons came at the end of the Indian tour, and it looked like Hayden was returning to form after a lay-off.

Im not revising anything champ, simply telling it like it is.

Haydens form 2008/09 season

43, 17, 33, 124, 47, 13, 123, 103 @ 62

Why don't you give the entire story, rather than a selection of facts to support your opinions.

The story is pretty simple to follow: Hayden had a superb 2008/09 season, got injured at the IPL - missed the West Indies tour, returned for the Indian tour, started slowly, found form near the end of the tour, returned home and struggled to get into a decent rhythm, retired at the end of the season.

The fact that it was an embarrassing finale, as you put it, is simply crap.

Thank You.

Please stop calling me champ, and please find me one piece from an accredited journalist (You are not an accredited journalist, for reference) that claims that Matthew Hayden's form in the months leading up to his retirement was anything but completely dire. Here are several published pieces that share my point of view:

Hayden must retire | Herald Sun
Neil Harvey Says Hayden should Retire | GroundReport
Retire or revive - it's crunch time for Hayden - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au
Hayden unlikely to retire in Sydney

When these kinds of articles are all over the papers (and they were), that is what I would consider an 'embarrassing finale'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back