Pre-Ashes 2010/11 Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pre-Ashes 2010/11 Discussion thread.

a for effort;398595 said:
Please stop calling me champ, and please find me one piece from an accredited journalist (You are not an accredited journalist, for reference) that claims that Matthew Hayden's form in the months leading up to his retirement was anything but completely dire. Here are several published pieces that share my point of view:

Hayden must retire | Herald Sun
Neil Harvey Says Hayden should Retire | GroundReport
Retire or revive - it's crunch time for Hayden - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au
Hayden unlikely to retire in Sydney

When these kinds of articles are all over the papers (and they were), that is what I would consider an 'embarrassing finale'.

The media was all over the top (and quite evidentally wrong as the IPL has shown), but it was everywhere.

And that has lead to people now thinking that Hayden isn't as good as he actually was.

That is embarrassing.

a for effort;398595 said:
Please stop calling me champ, and please find me one piece from an accredited journalist (You are not an accredited journalist, for reference) that claims that Matthew Hayden's form in the months leading up to his retirement was anything but completely dire. Here are several published pieces that share my point of view:

Hayden must retire | Herald Sun
Neil Harvey Says Hayden should Retire | GroundReport
Retire or revive - it's crunch time for Hayden - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au
Hayden unlikely to retire in Sydney

When these kinds of articles are all over the papers (and they were), that is what I would consider an 'embarrassing finale'.

ROFLMFAO

As soon as you quote Neil Harvey your post lost all credability.

I don't care what the media says, most of them are nuffies, to think your quoting them as 'evidence' for your view is pathetic, as Boris pointed out.

You said that the Hayden lingered on to a "embarrassing finale"

I simply said that it was incorrect; Hayden had a great 2008/09 season during which he scored 3 tons in 3 test matchs.

He didn't play another game until the Indian tour, struggled early, but seemed to be finding form late in the tour with a couple of 80's. However, it wasn't to be and he struggled during the home summer. He retired at the end of the summer, hardly 'lingering on', especially when you consider the form he showed a year earlier.

The media jumped on his back, and the circus begun, just like it did with Steve Waugh. To a certain extent the media were on Ponting's back, however, this time is about moving down the order.

I take very little notice of the media, other than Mike Coward's work. You made the statement that Hayden stayed on too long. I disputed that.

I'd be really interested when you think Hayden should have retired, considering you think he stayed on too long? After the 2008/09 season?

Who knows, Hayden would have been useful in England instead of Hughes jumping around like a Kangaroo.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398568 said:

People don't understand the greatness of Ponting as a batsmen

Yes, you are the only one on these boards that recognises that Ricky Ponting is a very good batsman.

Please continue this discussion of Australian players in the Australian forum. This thread lost any pretence of being about the upcoming series many pages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back