Subbies 2011/12

Bit bizarre to be advertising for a marquee player in mid May when most of the guns are already tied up. Interesting to see who they get. Considering Huitchinson was known to be heading back at least mid way thriough this season, its strange.

Rumours have it Brighton are in talks with an ex international.

Westy,if the introduction of the player points system means appeasing the premier clubs thus retaining the grant then let's do it. From memory Rex Bennett has been around a number of clubs,I know he spent quite a few years at North Melbourne. Does seem odd if Broady knew of hutchinson's intentions why they didn't move much earlier,as NCDPP says,most key targets have been sewn up by now. I think the Roxburgh Park proposal's been in the pipeline for a while as part of their move out that way. The tom toms are beating re Brightons big recruit,wouldn't be a former test player born just down the road? Anyone heard Melton linked with an ex Sth African test all rounder,Andrew Hall? If true Meltons wage bill would comfortably feed a 3rd world country.

Westy,if the introduction of the player points system means appeasing the premier clubs thus retaining the grant then let's do it. From memory Rex Bennett has been around a number of clubs,I know he spent quite a few years at North Melbourne. Does seem odd if Broady knew of hutchinson's intentions why they didn't move much earlier,as NCDPP says,most key targets have been sewn up by now. I think the Roxburgh Park proposal's been in the pipeline for a while as part of their move out that way. The tom toms are beating re Brightons big recruit,wouldn't be a former test player born just down the road? Anyone heard Melton linked with an ex Sth African test all rounder,Andrew Hall? If true Meltons wage bill would comfortably feed a 3rd world country.
Do we know if Harwood will return?

Wouldn't be surprised if the Premier Clubs insist the subbies introduce the player points system as a condition of their voting in favour of the grant in some form or other continuing. This is based on the thinking of a Premier Club with whom I have a connection. Hardly surprising really, since their comp already has it. As you will know, of the 'big three comps' the subbies is the odd man out.
Sunshine have appointed Rex Bennett as non-playing coach. I think he played in Footscray C C's 79/80 premiership team and have been told he has been coaching for more than 25 years, but this all I know about him. Can anyone fill in a few more details about his coaching background?[/quote]
Only one Premier Club (Carlton) voted in support of the Subbies retaining the dividend, so I am not sure what else they can do, except try to turn Carlton. If they think the dividend is the reason for the mass exodus of players each year, their administrations are even more inept than than I remember them to be.

Players go to Premier cricket, initially to play the highest standard of cricket in the state, and then, hopefully, to forge a first class career. After a period, when you realise that you are more than "a couple of good performances" away from playing for Victoria, you accept that a Premier career, whilst rewarding, takes an enormous amount of time. Early morning pre season sesssions, training 3 nights a week, arriving at the ground around 9.00am and plenty of Sundays and public holidays.

Surely, the players are then entitled to play in a less demanding competition, if they choose, whether it be Subbies or some of the strong local comps, without this perennial bleating from the Premier clubs. I thought that it was particularly disapointing that Geelong, Ringwood, Dandenong and Frankston didn't support us, given where they came from.

And of course, there will be the steady flow of youngsters leaving our clubs and headiing to Premier cricket, but God forbid, if they ever want to come back!!!

Wouldn't be surprised if the Premier Clubs insist the subbies introduce the player points system as a condition of their voting in favour of the grant in some form or other continuing. This is based on the thinking of a Premier Club with whom I have a connection. Hardly surprising really, since their comp already has it. As you will know, of the 'big three comps' the subbies is the odd man out.
Sunshine have appointed Rex Bennett as non-playing coach. I think he played in Footscray C C's 79/80 premiership team and have been told he has been coaching for more than 25 years, but this all I know about him. Can anyone fill in a few more details about his coaching background?
Only one Premier Club (Carlton) voted in support of the Subbies retaining the dividend, so I am not sure what else they can do, except try to turn Carlton. If they think the dividend is the reason for the mass exodus of players each year, their administrations are even more inept than than I remember them to be.

Players go to Premier cricket, initially to play the highest standard of cricket in the state, and then, hopefully, to forge a first class career. After a period, when you realise that you are more than "a couple of good performances" away from playing for Victoria, you accept that a Premier career, whilst rewarding, takes an enormous amount of time. Early morning pre season sesssions, training 3 nights a week, arriving at the ground around 9.00am and plenty of Sundays and public holidays.

Surely, the players are then entitled to play in a less demanding competition, if they choose, whether it be Subbies or some of the strong local comps, without this perennial bleating from the Premier clubs. I thought that it was particularly disapointing that Geelong, Ringwood, Dandenong and Frankston didn't support us, given where they came from.

And of course, there will be the steady flow of youngsters leaving our clubs and headiing to Premier cricket, but God forbid, if they ever want to come back!!![/quote]
S&W, think there needed to be more than 1 district club's support. Other clubs didn't support subbies because they were 'extremely worried' if Cricket Victoria pulled the plug on them!

Points system will and should be a monty. We can't put out our hand for a dividend whilst 'beating our own drum'!

PB, I have always loved your work, and you seem to know more about the West Group than most, but I would be surprised if you were "on the money" on this one. The main reason is South Africas domestic season co incides with Australia's, so you reckon Hall would still make more bucks playing full time over there, rather than part time in Oz.

But, it still raises the question, how does a club in an area that is still considered a "growth' corridor, consistantly find the financial resources to be in a position to approach such well credentialled players? We know they have a great junior develpoment program, but they seem to be able to "top up" at will.

PB, I have always loved your work, and you seem to know more about the West Group than most, but I would be surprised if you were "on the money" on this one. The main reason is South Africas domestic season co incides with Australia's, so you reckon Hall would still make more bucks playing full time over there, rather than part time in Oz.

But, it still raises the question, how does a club in an area that is still considered a "growth' corridor, consistantly find the financial resources to be in a position to approach such well credentialled players? We know they have a great junior develpoment program, but they seem to be able to "top up" at will.
In the last 20-30 years there have apparently been no new cricket clubs being formed in Melton. Set this off against the growth in the area and you would think they have to get strong, but Melton have done a fantastic job over the last few years!

The Broadmeadows Cricket Club (the "Falcons") are seeking expressions of interest in becoming the club's Professional Player for Season 2012/2013

The Broadmeadows Cricket Club is presently regarded as one of the most dynamic and progressive clubs within the Victorian Sub District Cricket Association ("VSDCA") and has been the recent pioneer of revolutionary partnerships and programs such as the principle supporter of Cricket PNG's "Future Stars" program as well as the Broadmeadows Cricket Academy run for talented juniors within the North West.

Over the past 8 years, the club has reinvented itself and its brand. The club has a strong financial base, has enjoyed recent on-field success across the top 3 VSDCA XI's and is committed to a go-forward partnership with the Roxburgh Park Cricket Club that will result in the combined entity becoming one of the strongest clubs both financially and with depth of playing resources from Season 2012/2013.

The club is one of ONLY 3 VSDCA West Group clubs (Melton and Altona being the other two) to have competed in consecutive 1st XI finals campaigns in Seasons 2010/2011 and 2011/2012. Resultant of a go-forward partnership with the Roxburgh Park Cricket Club, the club will be training and operating out of Roxburgh Park from Season 2012/2013 and from "Day 1" of the partnership will field a minimum of 6 Senior Sides and 8 Junior Sides (in addition to a strong Milo program).

The primary focus of the club is to secure a high quality Professional/Marquee player for Season 2012/2013 and beyond. A multiple Season contract will be considered based on mutually agreeable intentions. Whilst the primary focus for the club is on securing the required Professional/Marquee player to ensure the club continues to both develop and prosper, depending upon the candidate and their preferences - both the 1st XI Captaincy and Assistant Coaching positions can and will be discussed.

The Falcons are a cricket club who have been on the rise and are uncompromising in their pursuit of sustained success (across the club as a whole) moving forward. This is undoubtedly an opportunity for a motivated individual with a proven playing record who has a desire to contribute to something special and has a non negotiable attitude to cultural standards and a winning attitude.

The club is not limited in its views that the successful applicant will have either a proven Premier of VSDCA record. Individuals with extensive records within the VTCA and local competitions will be considered and discussed.

Key attributes that any applicant will need demonstrate:
  • a proven playing record within Premier cricket, the VSDCA or VTCA (Senior Division). Candidates with records outside these competitions will still be considered where appropriate
  • a high level of communication and interpersonal skills
  • a preparedness to embrace the club holistically and take an ownership of the core cultural drivers of the club
  • a high level of personal responsibility and accountability and a non negotiable understanding of the importance of integrity, team work and loyalty
  • an understanding of winning cultures and commitment to sustained success

As aforementioned, whilst the primary focus of the club is to secure a Professional/Marquee player, consideration will be given to individuals interested in taking on leadership responsibilities including (but not limited too); the club's 1st XI Captaincy and Assistant Coaching.

For those interested in further information on the club, a Member Handbook/Value Proposition can be availed upon request. Additionally, interested candidates can refer to the club website at http://broadmeadows.cricketvictoria.com.au/ for a further understanding of the "way of the Falcon".

Applications close Thursday 31 May.

All Applications will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Forward your application, resume and expression of interest to ben_wood@mlc.com.au or contact Ben Wood on 0403 305 586 for further information or a preliminary fact find conversation.

Ben Wood
President

Strewth!!!,no wonder they dont advertise in the HeraldSun.
S&W,there's any number of reasons why Hall could be coming,could have migrated,working holiday,SA's not the safest place around,in fact He's been mugged a couple of times and made the headlines,or the old hairy lasso might have got him,you never know.Time will tell,but my source is usually spot on.

S&W,there's any number of reasons why Hall could be coming,could have migrated,working holiday,SA's not the safest place around,in fact He's been mugged a couple of times and made the headlines,or the old hairy lasso might have got him,you never know.Time will tell,but my source is usually spot on.
Yeah! you're right!!!! The "hairy Lasso" as you so eloquently put it, has snared better men the Andie Hall, so he might be a sneaky chance.

Keep us posted.

Just luv ya work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the "hairy lasso" commonly used as a recruiting device in the subbies?

In the last 20-30 years there have apparently been no new cricket clubs being formed in Melton. Set this off against the growth in the area and you would think they have to get strong, but Melton have done a fantastic job over the last few years!

interesting research although slightly off the mark.....Caroline Springs , Burnside Springs , St Anthony's , Melton centrals , Melton South Primary School ,Melton West Saints juniors , Rockbank , and Throughbreds cricket clubs have all formed in the last 20 odd years.........between them they have approx 25 senior and 38 junior teams so there is a little bit of competition in the area.

And of course, there will be the steady flow of youngsters leaving our clubs and headiing to Premier cricket, but God forbid, if they ever want to come back!!!
S&W, think there needed to be more than 1 district club's support. Other clubs didn't support subbies because they were 'extremely worried' if Cricket Victoria pulled the plug on them!

Points system will and should be a monty. We can't put out our hand for a dividend whilst 'beating our own drum'![/quote]

Surely we have to expect to be more prone to the 'perennial bleating' from Premier clubs because, of the alternative comps, we are the only other in receipt of an annual dividend. Ken Jacobs is our comp's patron but, really, in the face of all the player recruiting comments in recent pages of this thread, would you care to be in his shoes going into bat for us on the maintanance of the dividend?

interesting research although slightly off the mark.....Caroline Springs , Burnside Springs , St Anthony's , Melton centrals , Melton South Primary School ,Melton West Saints juniors , Rockbank , and Throughbreds cricket clubs have all formed in the last 20 odd years.........between them they have approx 25 senior and 38 junior teams so there is a little bit of competition in the area.

St Anthonys, Melton centrals, and Melton south have all been around over 20-25 years - Rockbank are lucky to get one side - Throughbreds have ceased to exist over 5 years now, melton west saints are juniors only and are a joint venture after Melton west junior cricket club and melton saints juniors combined after not being able to survive on there own. Also worth a mention that Melton Panthers Junior cricket club went bust within this time, and St Dominics juniors and st catherines juniors merged to form Melton saints many years ago.

As for Burnside springs and Caroline springs although they are situated within the shire (which they shouldnt be) i dont think you could count them as Melton clubs most of there players come from sunshine, st albans, deer park areas.
Theres some history for ya, might be time for another club to emerge

St Anthonys, Melton centrals, and Melton south have all been around over 20-25 years - Rockbank are lucky to get one side - Throughbreds have ceased to exist over 5 years now, melton west saints are juniors only and are a joint venture after Melton west junior cricket club and melton saints juniors combined after not being able to survive on there own. Also worth a mention that Melton Panthers Junior cricket club went bust within this time, and St Dominics juniors and st catherines juniors merged to form Melton saints many years ago.

As for Burnside springs and Caroline springs although they are situated within the shire (which they shouldnt be) i dont think you could count them as Melton clubs most of there players come from sunshine, st albans, deer park areas.
Theres some history for ya, might be time for another club to emerge
On that my history was OK!

I think it is bordering on 'certainty' that one of the new 2 Premier teams will be Melton.

Back