Subbies Thread

Brighton have appointed a coach from within...
Correct. Will announce recruits nearer season but very handy. Malvern look the team to beat again. Would expect Malvern, Caulfield, Ormond, Noble Park and Oakleigh to fill 5 finals positions. Brighton, Bayswater and Box Hill all played finals last year. Not sure if others will improve enough. Certainly in South would not expect Elsternwick, Moorabbin or Saints to be able to make finals. Happy at this Stage to pick Brighton to make final spot if can cope with all away games. For what it is worth Beach Oval should be fantastic after resurfacing. Already best view in Subbies.

Correct. Will announce recruits nearer season but very handy. Malvern look the team to beat again. Would expect Malvern, Caulfield, Ormond, Noble Park and Oakleigh to fill 5 finals positions. Brighton, Bayswater and Box Hill all played finals last year. Not sure if others will improve enough. Certainly in South would not expect Elsternwick, Moorabbin or Saints to be able to make finals. Happy at this Stage to pick Brighton to make final spot if can cope with all away games. For what it is worth Beach Oval should be fantastic after resurfacing. Already best view in Subbies.

Karl Whatham sticking around? Interesting appointment from within, he does have a very good knowledge base, would have thought an outside might come in as a 1sts player/coach though?

Karl Whatham sticking around? Interesting appointment from within, he does have a very good knowledge base, would have thought an outside might come in as a 1sts player/coach though?
Interesting read in Kingston's web that proposed merger with Hawthorn. Looks as though will not go ahead but a premier club in the south would flourish. Coaching at Brighton very strong. ? may be a Kingston Saints legend involved.

Interesting read in Kingston's web that proposed merger with Hawthorn. Looks as though will not go ahead but a premier club in the south would flourish. Coaching at Brighton very strong. ? may be a Kingston Saints legend involved.
Sounds like the old windsurfer may be out and about!
Don't underestimate playing away each week, can be painful, but can be done.
As for the Saints, we will certianly be a lot better than last year.

I would have thought Bayswater are probably up with the first lot, given they went to the 2nd last week of finals. I remember reading somwhere they have picked up players. I would sugegst they look the best 6, however, there are always fluctuations.
Are the recruits signed up? Seems strange not to announce, unless they haven't signed up at this point.

Oakleigh appointed Jolyon Leaver (Casey-SM) captaining this season. Premier 1st top order bat....should do some damage, albeit coming from a lower ranked side. Confirms them as the "team" to beat for me.

Caulfield have also recruited another player. Dale Denny from down Hamilton way I believe. Anyone able to shed some light here?

Ayres will no doubt have another good season but like others I suggest it won't be to the ridiculous numbers of last year.

Oakleigh appointed Jolyon Leaver (Casey-SM) captaining this season. Premier 1st top order bat....should do some damage, albeit coming from a lower ranked side. Confirms them as the "team" to beat for me.

Caulfield have also recruited another player. Dale Denny from down Hamilton way I believe. Anyone able to shed some light here?

Ayres will no doubt have another good season but like others I suggest it won't be to the ridiculous numbers of last year.
Will be interesting to see how Leaver goes.

Denny from Geelong, reasonable numbers, bit of an all rounder.

For me, its Melton NW and Ormond SE. A couple of handy pick ups for Ormond and no losses will make a difference.

Fernando has gone to a local club (non-Sub District) in the Western suburbs as captain/coach I think.

My North-West ladder prediction:

Plenty Valley
Werribee
Altona
Kew
Brunswick
Balwyn
Melton
Williamstown
Ivanhoe
Preston
Sunshine

Kew in the top 4? You've got to be kidding? Have they picked anyone up? Haven't they lost their capt/coach?

Melton will make top 4 with Kirk returning and getting amongst the mix of runs with Mick Allen hopefully returning to his best or even half best. Jones to lead the bowling in Wheelahan's departure with the import. Definitely a threat to the likes of Plenty Valley and Werribee. Maccy Park boys will be back!

One player is not enough to take a bottom 3 or 4 team last year into the top four. They've also lost gill, who was brilliant for them.
Gill a very good player, but Gilmour and Graham make that team a lot better. Not sure of top 4 but certainly in finals running.

Back