Super Eights - New Zealand vs West Indies

Re: Super Eights - New Zealand vs West Indies

Sloppy from Dwayne Smith as he gets bowled by Vettori.

176-8 after 43.3

It'll be tough to last the full 50 overs from here.

Vettori nails Powell now lbw!

176-9

and he's going for a hat trick that could finish off the game.

cleazer;149196 said:
You really have to wonder why he was brought in to the side at the expense of either Taylor or Bradshaw.

The zillion dollar question. But no doubt King in his infinite wisdom knew what he was doing...with Lara's ok of course.

Bond bowls Collymore for his third.

West Indies all out for 177!!!

:(

Simmons stranded on 14 not out.
I don't think that's what you want when you bring in an extra batsman to replace a bowler.

Well I'm a West Indian and I'm laughing. If I don't laugh I will cry. This is typical of this side, people should not be surprised......Many of these cricketers are not ready for the big leagues for whatever reasons.

A reminder of how vital this match is:

Of the 8 teams remaining fighting for the 4 semifinal spots, I'd say there are 3 tiers:
-Australia, South Africa, and Sri Lanka
-New Zealand, West Indies, and England
-Bangladesh and Ireland

If New Zealand wins today, they'll have wins over both West Indies and England. They won't be guaranteed of a semifinal spot, but they'll have to feel very good about their chances.

Of course, there's still a chance for Bangladesh to pull off another upset or two, or maybe West Indies can pull off a win against South Africa or Sri Lanka.

But if the Kiwis do indeed win today, they'll be in a very strong position.

NZ has a nice varied attack to go far. Alot of working cricket brains in that team too.

I just took a look at the schedule. New Zealand's next two games are against Bangladesh and Ireland. They could start out the Super Eights with 4 wins, and then coast through the last 3 games against the top favorites, perhaps even losing all 3, and still qualify for the semifinals. (A record of 4-3 doesn't guarantee a spot in the semifinals, but it would likely be enough.)

By the way Cleazer, thanks for the running commentary, sometimes the browser from TheSunUK is slow and you fill the void.

Super first over from Powell, as he got Fulton and almost got Fleming too.
And then Dwayne Smith comes in to open the bowling with him?!?!?

Weird stuff today.

New Zealand 4-1 after 2 overs.

cleazer;149221 said:
Super first over from Powell, as he got Fulton and almost got Fleming too.
And then Dwayne Smith comes in to open the bowling with him?!?!?

Weird stuff today.

New Zealand 4-1 after 2 overs.

I think they used Smith to open before, a couple times maybe, but true, it is not their usual.

51-2 after 16 overs. Great stuff from the bowlers so far, Collymore has only conceded 8 runs from his 4 overs.

It'll be up to Gayle, Bravo, and Samuels to put forth excellent bowling efforts too though.

Diamond Joe Quimby;149225 said:
YOWZA!! 36-2, the Windies might pull this one out of their butt!
Man you think they would have taken advantage, 51-2 and New Zealand keeps marching on. What's wrong with the Windies?

Lara nails the stumps and Fleming is run out!

77-3 after 21

If the rain comes into play today, then that wicket could really turn out to be useful. Fleming was obviously the scoring threat so far for the Kiwis. Now they'll need someone else to bat.

Back