TALL TALES

Sleeping now. will reply in the morning mate.
but think we should slow down for the war of Independence
Definitely, what I have been leading up to. Charleston was very involved in early skirmishes with the Red Coats. Why does Eddy want to fight a war? Walt, (new nickname) has to stop Red Coats from invading and looting Lowell Manor. Has asked his good friend Eddy for arms.

Last edited:
THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1776: The year that the Revolutionary War came to South Carolina, Charleston, Sommerville Town where Walt, Rose, Eddy, Eliza and their families lived. The calm and peace had gone replaced by the drums of war. The British colonial masters had pushed the peace loving colonialists too far, forcing the formation of a local branch pf the Southern Continental Army with people enlisting from all across South Carolina . The leaders of the Red Coats had wanted to take Charleston Harbor as a strategic plan for their ships to berth. If the British figured they could just waltz into Charleston and take over, they were in for a big surprise as some 6000 regulars and militia stood against overwhelming military superiority, which included six fully armed frigates. The most firepower the locals had was 20 cannon and three fixed shore batteries located at a partially built fortification on a small island in Charleston harbor. The Charleston soldiers prevailed and gave the British invaders more than a bloody nose, killing some 200 Red Coats and severely damaging three ships and putting another out of action. Shortly after failing to capture Charleston the British commanders pulled back and eventually left South Carolina altogether.

Last edited:
Before the full British Army left a small group of Red Coats fancied looting Lowell Manor. Little did they know that Walt, Joshuas two sons, Jeremiah and Neamiah, Charlie the gardner and his son Patrick, plus three Irish and two black forge workers were armed thanks to Eddy. With Rose and Eliza loading the muskets and pistols, they were able to repel the shocked Red Coat soldiers who fled as bullets and shot whizzed round their ears.

Last edited:
Sleeping now. will reply in the morning mate.

Definitely, what I have been leading up to. Charleston was very involved in early skirmishes with the Red Coats. Why does Eddy join the American side? Walt, (new nickname) has to stop Red Coat garrison from commandeering Lowell Manor. Has asked his good friend Eddy for arms.

In recent months Eddy, at his Milli's very ardent and loud insistence, and Walt's polite request, had been producing muskets and pistols in his forge in quantity. Trade got brisker as the winds of war gained strength.

Eddy was committed to his new country, the land of the free, and despised the arrogant aristocracy of England.
He offered his services to the local Continental Army with three dozen armed men he had started training after the attack on Lowell Manor. Irish were more than keen as were many of the freed Negro slaves.
Eddy was offered a commission as a lieutenant which he gladly accepted. His son Robbie was made his Sergeant.

Walt also insisted his good friend not go off to war but stay and produce the weapons the Southern Continental Army needed urgently, another way he can ''despise the arrogant aristocracy of England'' yet remain safe. The former pastor added there was also a ulterior motive, naturally Rose and Walt did not want Eddy injured or God forbid killed in some northern state, so far away from his home, family and friends..

" Eddy Sommerville and the surrounding villages are going to need a strong force to protect them should the Red Coats return. Recruit unmarried able bodied men and train a militia to protect the local people. It is by making weapons that you can best serve the SCA. Eddy you are needed here by Julia, Milicent, Robbie and Adeline. I implore you to stay.''

Last edited:
Eddy Sommerville and the surrounding villages are going to need a strong force to protect them should the Red Coats return. Recruit unmarried able bodied men and train a militia to protect the local people. It is by making weapons that you can best serve the SCA. Eddy you are needed here by Julia, Milicent, Robbie and Adeline. I implore you to stay.''

Don't worry about me leaving Walt, I'm part of the local militia. Major Banbury asked me to stay and help train men and make many, many muskets, pistols and hand weapons. Even some small cannons to fire deadly grape shot. Personal armour too like helmets and breast plates for the officers.
I want to get my dozen best men on horses to out flank those lines of Redcoats. I plan to make sabres, lances and twin shot pistols for my little Calvary force at the request of the Major who is getting other Charleston citizens to do likewise. He figures we need a hundred mounted Calvary equipped similarly so my forge is now working day and night. The money is rolling in too from Charleston's war chest.

Major Banbury also asked me to ask you if you wanted a commission as a Captain. Interested?
I could always ask my mad Milli to convince you! 😁
She's volunteered too as a Corporal in my Calvary unit. She is fierce and many men are fearful of her, and rightly so. She bullies and yells at me too!

Eddy you have made this old man very happy. I figured you were about to break up the old firm, Jake, Molly and the Rev. We have been close friends for more than 20 years. I am only interested in a non combative commission. Pass that onto Major Banbury will you. Makes sense for me to remain here too as Lucinda and Jake are in school. Eliza wont hear of me leaving to fight a war. She says the SCA only wants fit young men, not balding old men like me. She is a charmer my darling wife. I sure chose well when I asked her to marry me..

Last edited:
"I spoke to Major Banbury on your behalf Walt and he appreciates your position, so he has offered you Captaincy of the Charlestown War stocks: weapons, ammunitions, uniforms, camping gear, hard tack food, small barrels of Whisky, Medical equipment, maps, .... , 4 cannons, 6 mortars, 132 muskets, 63 pistols, corals of horses, horse feed, barrels of gun powder, compasses, telescopes, even clocks and watches for officers and so much more all in the converted Town Hall with its offices. Take Molly I'd suggest as a ledger keeper, or my daughter Adeline now with her three boys all doing their bit about town like being runners. Their farther George is a Calvary Captain, with me Eddy, his father in law as one of his lieutenants. I don't mind a hoot actually knowing how smart my Lawyer-son-in-law is.
I'm very supportive of his command and I give hard eyes to those who speak out of turn to my Captain George. Or a clip or two about the ears.

You'd have Mayor Gregory's office Walt if you choose to accept the commission as a home Captain.
Mayor Gregory is off on a fact finding diplomatic mission with 4 good men, all on fast horses.
I think that canny fox's fact finding includes spying."

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked it over with Eliza so inform the major I will accept the commission. But other than Rose or Adeline to keep the books I will need 8 to10 non combatants to take care of warehouse storage, transportation plus experienced equine handlers. Remember I still have a business to run so I will be working at least one field with my remaining hands. Have lost a majority of my white pickers to the war but there are still my freed slaves that stayed loyal to me to bring in the harvest. I will lend a hand, so will Eliza, Lucinda and Jake, hope you and Robbie or Milicent can find time too Eddy.

Last edited:
Accompanying notable citizen Mr Walter Lowell Eddy saluted major Banury and stood in the background.

Major Banbury shook Walters hand and offered him a seat and a glass of whisky.
He went through all the duties required of a Captain of War Stores which had a command of 2 dozen men plus 4 sergeants, 4 coporals, and 2 lieutenants. All good men passed fighting age and smart boys.
Supplying Ammunition to fighting lines by cart and horse, the stables, the drivers, acquiring weapons and munitions, ... etc... will be part of your position. Delegate as you see fit. You should stay in Charleston as befits your position, if you take the commission. Even take on more old men and boys as you need. You will need a good ledger keeper too, and an assistant . Two of the old boys have moderate skills with book keeping. Find some one better to take charge of the accounts and whip or hang any man who pilfers.
Of course you will have a large expense account and you will be paid handsomely as a Captain.
What say you Mr Lowell, or Captain Lowell?"

Last edited:
Major please forgive for wasting your valuable time, but I have changed my mind. As I explained to Lt Marshall I still have a cotton plantation to run. Tho. I may have lost much of my workforce to the war, the business remains solvent so I have to be there to oversee it. Other than the few remaining men that did not enlist, myself, family and my servants will be doing the majority of the picking this year. So I doubt I can devote the necessary time to run your armory, therefor I must regretfully decline your offer. If you have something for me that is less time consuming, I'd be more than pleased to do my bit for the war effort after my cotton has been ginned and packed for storage in late Fall..

Last edited:
Riding back to Lowell Manor Eddy talked to Walt.

"At least you were asked, that's an honour in itself Walt.
The Major will find someone else and I appreciate your position with the Cotton crops. I'm feeling over stretched myself with my Lieutenant position and running my forge with all the muskets I must produce.
At least being a Lieutenant is much less onerous than being a Captain."

"You will be over stretching yourself Eddy, what with the recruiting then training men plus the enormous task of making all those weapons. I suggest you seek additional smithies, now retired yet still fit and hearty enough to help you old friend. They will work for the Marshall Forge Co. under your supervision. I am sure in these difficult times they'd appreciate a little extra money in their pockets and they'd be doing something for their country."

Last edited:
Eddy was stretched thin with all his workload. Julia his wife whispered some words of wisdom to him one night in bed that cheered up her Jake. Walt had said similar.
The next few days saw Eddy delegating responsibilities to his forge men and small command of 20 Musket foot men and 10 Cavalry. He and his son Robbie alternated command of the forge and Lowell manor militia, with several promotions in both with added responsibilities and pay. Major Banbury okayed it grudgingly. Eddy reiterated how vital the production of muskets was. A second lietenant was made of a man recommended by Walt.
The weeks, training, cotton picking and muskets rolled on. Eddy and Robbie visited the forge as quality overseers and to give guidance to the men there demonstrating techniques with finesse and nuances.
Old Angus the Scottish clock maker was now making sights for the muskets and mechanisms for them and the pistols.
Simpler was the production of melee weapons like swords, sabres, spears, daggers, lances, grenades and armour like helmets and some breast plates. The small grapeshot cannons too. They were deadly to infantry at close quarters.
Eddy even gave the boys about simple jobs to do, everyone had a role to play in this war of Independence from a greedy, overly taxing and blood sucking Charles II and his aristocrats. Jake despised the elite of England, except for Sir Zac Newton. His words still floated around in Jake's head.

Last edited:
That was me repeatedly trying to post my latest when BC was halfway down. I deleted all the duplicates.

A boy came running yelling "Red Coats, Red Coats, ..., ships, lots of ships..."
He'd come from town as a runner.
Eddy blew his War horn and all the men came running. "Tool up lads, and Paddy, hitch up those grape shot cannons, we have Red Coat blood to spill."

Eddy had feared this day. After scurrying away before the Red Coats no doubt had come back in a larger force. This was to be a bitter day.

YEAR OF OUR LORD 1780: A bitter day indeed Eddie with the Red Coats returning to South Carolina with the aim of occupying our new state and reverting it to British rule. There will be a vicious battle for control of Charleston Harbor and Charleston Town and much American patriot blood will be spilled.

Walt , Eddie, a platoon of his militia, the women and the servants worked like bees in a hive to secure Lowell Manor with sand bags at the doors and wooden boards nailed to all windows with only a small opening to allow for a man to spot and intruder on Lowell property. They then did the same with the Marshall family home. Then the men, white and black, stored weapons in preparation for any eventuality the Red Coats were to march as far inland as Sommerville.

Last edited:
Back