TALL TALES

YEAR OF OUR LORD 1780: A bitter day indeed Eddie with the Red Coats returning to South Carolina with the aim of occupying our new state and reverting it to British rule. There will be a vicious battle for control of Charleston Harbor and Charleston Town and much American patriot blood will be spilled.

Walt , Eddie, a platoon of his militia, the women and the servants worked like bees in a hive to secure Lowell Manor with sand bags at the doors and wooden boards nailed to all windows with only a small opening to allow for a man to spot and intruder on Lowell property. They then did the same with the Marshall family home. Then the men, white and black, stored weapons in preparation for any eventuality the Red Coats were to march as far inland as Sommerville.

The Rose Garden

Eddie and his men worked like beavers to help shore up the defences of Lowell manor as Walt wanted. The Armory was plentiful from Eddie's Forge and stocks.

"Walt, once we've shored up the Manor and buildings as you ordered it is my solemn duty to attend with all haste to Major Banbury's service under my Captain George in defense of Charleston Port. I can faintly hear cannon fire already.
My ten Calvary and twenty foot musket men are needed but are attending to your orders with Godly speed. Their wives and families are under your care along with soon my daughter Adeline with her three boys. My grandsons will fight.
We'll all ride together in a Convoy with my calvary unit protecting the large four horse drawn carts carrying the twenty footmen, scores of muskets,16 heavy shot cannons, grapeshot, ammunition, gunpowder, bandages, medical supplies, stretchers, hard tack, water, grain mix horse feed, whisky and two brave Irish Wife Nurses who know their skills well.
We have a little time as the war wagons are being heavily loaded with armoury stocks for Major Banbury including 16 heavy short shot cannons. I had twenty but cannot carry all so I'll have to leave 4 with you. Luckily, four of the old men here I trained in their use, and then they trained the men. They'll stay with you and man old Angus the Scottish clock maker who now made weapon sights and trained the men ballistics and shot cannons will stay with you of course. Angus is a canny old rapscallion who could unleash hell with those dreadful infantry killing guns. He suggests putting all four on the top floor looking out windows for greater coverage into the "rose garden funnel killing zone"!
Let me leave you very well equipped too with 2 loaded muskets and 2 twin shot loaded pistols per combatant you can muster plus any hand weapons. Boys and girls to help reload muskets, Pat trained them. 12 grenades from for 3 small catapults to hurl them. Garrett from Kerry made them for .... the boys to play with.

Most importantly, if all goes bad I'll return here to help defend the Manor."

About the Roses:
Loud Liam and some of the boys five years ago planted two inward curving columns of thorny roses as a beautiful entrance to the manor's garden entrance and let it encircle the whole of the manor's garden and manor itself, with paths, lanes and openings to Eddies fine big cottage, with his mad Milli daughter still refusing to leave, and to all the Outhouses. Milli called them the Lowell Manor Village! As just a corporal in her father's small Cavalry unit, many men feared her wild narure.
It was my son-in-law Calvary Captain George's idea to build the Rose Walls. I suggested to Loud Liam who spruiked the idea to your wife Eliza who encouraged the manor's gardener Charlie to get involved. Jake offered cartloads of horse manure and soon the hedges were growing strong and Charlie was convinced by Liam to let the roses go wild on the outside of the manor's front garden. "... it'd look luvely mistriss Eliza", who agreed and replied "Wild, beautiful and spontaneous in nature, then our gorgeous ordered Garden and Manor as one approaches. We need some fountains, statues and ponds too me thinks.
I shall put it to my husband. Lots of rose beds"

Last edited:
As usual my long time friend Jake, now Eddie has everything under control. You really are a fine organizer my friend. You wont be involved in any up front fighting against the Red Coats will you once you hand over the armory stocks to Major Banbury and will return to Julia and your young'ns and help us defend our property that we worked so hard to build.

So sorry to say Walt that I and my men, including my son Robbie and daughter Milli, will be required to face the Red Coats in whatever manner Major Banbury decrees.
If it does go pear shaped be assured that my little force will return to Lowell Manor with all haste to fight off those curs to the bitter end. No Surrender!

Not Robbie and Millie too, my god children. I wont have a sound sleep until you three return safe and unharmed Eddie. God speed my dear friend and keep thy head down when those Red Coat muskets fire.
Walt's son, Jake was now almost 16 but appeared older than his years. He was tho not too grown up to shed tears when his god father Eddie left, knowing he may never see him again.

Last edited:
Walt, I leave my daughter Adeline and her three sons in your care. The boys have muskets and can reload them fast as needed. They will fight in any way you command. Likewise they can operate the grenade catapults.
My grandsons are serious and committed patriots.

Back in Sommerville the immediate task was to secure Lowell Manor, Marshall Manor had been closed and Julia and Adeline has moved in with Walt and Eliza, Lucinda and Jake.
Walt, Jake, Angus and his four gunners had the onerous task of hauling the four cannon to the top floor and place them by the window, two each side of the building, While old Joshua, Jeremiah and Neamiah carried the ammunition upstairs, 16 cannon balls as well as sponge and rammer poles...

Looking closer at the cannon balls some were heavy balls of Hessian tied up with string and coated in grease!?
"They be 'infantry killers' filled with old chains and metal scraps in them from the Forge" said old Francois " une arme vicieuse, (a vicious weapon), short range though unlike the cannon balls".
The French were very sympathetic to the plight of the Americans.

Major Banbury was actually in charge of the Charleston Citizen Militia that Eddie was a lieutenant in, under the direct command of his lawyer son-in-law Captain George. Robbie was his sergeant and screeching Millicent a corporal.

Captain George had arrived to bid farewell to his wife Adeline and his three sons who saluted their father.
"Walt, here's two sacks of Blue sashes for your men to wear to distinguish them loyal to the Continental Army.
Look at the maps on your study walls. They may try and out flank Charleston."

As they departed in a growing convoy of platoons Eddy was relieved when George told him the militia would be in reserve to the main garrison in Fort Moultrie led by Major General Benjamin Lincoln.
Almost 6,000 men with regulars, militia and sailors in total would defend Charleston with a dozen American fighting ships in the harbour.
Milli rode close by listening in and her brother-in-law George and father Eddie glared at her in unison. Sticking her tongue out she wheeled away.
" No man would marry her." muttered Eddie.
George nodded sagely.

"Have a look at these maps again." said George. "Walt has the same on his study walls.
We most likely will be used for recognisance patrols, maybe?"
Siege_of_Charleston_(1780)-1.jpg

A_sketch_of_the_operations_before_Charlestown,_the_capital_of_South_Carolina-1.jpg

1024px-CharlestownSC1780.jpg

Last edited:
The American Commander General Lincoln had 2,700 Continentals and 2,000 militia to defend the capital Charleston. Fortifications has been build to prepare for the siege by an overwhelming British force of soldiers, Hessian mercenaries and naval men, the latter fresh from capturing Charleston Harbor. On April 1, 1780 the British forces, under the command of General Clinton began bombarding the city from their 20 gun battery on Hamstead Hill. The Continental batteries returned fire and the battle for Charleston, which was to last almost two blood soaked months, had begun..
View attachment 1710474384197.webp

Last edited:
Lt. Eddie's main role was to patrol the western swampy shore lines north of Charleston with his platoon of 10 horsemen and 20 musket men in big carts, and nco's like son Sgt Robbie, Cpr mad Milli and Froggy Sgt Alain.
His Captain George's company of 4 such platoons were tasked to patrol the western reedy shores of the Ashley river, just north of Charlestown. Eddie was given the northern most patrol which wasn't too far from the Lowell Manor.
Finding billets meant a return to home in the Lowell plantation which all celebrated. It's not what you know ... Eddie hugged Walt, his wife, Walt's wife, .. everyone ...

The bombardment of Charleston was relentless and a bigger target than even the British ships of the line with thier massive ship cannons. The noise of cannon fire was steady and demoralising.

Then the panic when a Battalion of men and horse came south down the main road to Charlestown.
They were tough French regulars from Pennsylvania come to help Chareston against the smelly Britishers.
They were hungry and footsore needing sustenance and billets. Or a safe place to camp... after a long march. Pleasant French Captain Ulysse asked of Walt if a hundred French soldiers could billet at his plantation, and be fed and be supplied with food. Water too. Clean water.

Last edited:
Most definitely Captain Ulysse you and your fellow officers may billet in one of my rooms while 60 of your men can stay in the servants and workers huts, all of whom are now doing their bit for their capital city against the dastardly Red Coats. The huts are rather spartan I am sorry to say, but comfortable. I will see to cook about some food Captain. The Frenchman seemed so grateful that he actually wanted to kiss Walt, who moved away quickly then offered his hand to the captain and clearly embarrassed said. "You are most welcome Monsieur''. This scene elicited some giggling from his two officers one of whom was sporting a bloodied bandaged forehead.

Last edited:
Eddie I am shocked to see you so soon. I am beyond joy that you, Robbie and Millie are safe as I have not had one good nites sleep since you left. No injuries I hope. Wait I see your left hand is bandaged. Eddie explained to Walt that he has lost the top of his middle finger to a Red Coat musket shot. ''it is nothing Walt'' the giant man said. ''I still have seven good fingers and two thumbs left to work my forge. How has everything been here my old friend''.

Last edited:
Captain Ulysse said to Walt in his thick accent that he actually had a hundred men but they had plenty of tents they could pitch.

The next day four horsemen arrived from Charleston with orders for Captain Ulysse to remain billited at Lowell plantation and to assist in guarding and patrolling the Ashley River. They eat a lot said Walt.

Just as well as three weeks later 30 Redcoat transport boats filled with Redcoats and cannons supported by 3 armed galleys were sighted coming up the Ashley river. Over a thousand men at least.
Immediately forces were mobilised and Captain George gathered his Company, with Eddie's platoon, to head south down the river to face the threat.

Ashley River is only 15 miles from Lowell Manor/Plantation. The next morning Walt found 15 AWOL French soldiers in one of the huts after the others had left to join Major Banbury's company to face the approaching British forces. All promised they would help Walt defend Lowell Manor if he did not hand then in as deserters. Walt knew he could certainly use the services of fifteen well trained and armed men should any Red Coats encroach on Lowell land. Walt notified the others about the latest situation of the war that had come to their peaceful city. Julia cried for her husband and son who were now in the thick of the battle for not only Charleston but South Carolina...

Last edited:
How has everything been here my old friend''.
Very tense Eddie with the sound of cannon fire heard so clearly it may have been up the road. We are all terrified that the British will come this way, despite having the four cannon and the weapons you gave us. Terrified we may be, but we are ready to take on the Red Coats if we must. This is our city, our state, our nation.

Heading south into hell was 220 French soldiers. They'd been spread out in billets offered also by Walt's farming neighbours. He did take 60 after all.

2 french Captains Ulysse and Leon along with Captain George's Company of 4 platoons with a total of 140 militia. Carts carrying men and cannons, rations, horse men, cavalry, saw bones with aids, ammunition, rum, whisky, wine, ..water, horse feed, tents, ...

Riding towards the convoy was an American blue sashed messenger on a lathered fast horse that skidded to a halt in front of the three Captains with a wax sealed message from Major Banbury to Eddie's son in law Captain George, Chief of the Militia saying "Major General Benjamin Lincoln requested of him and you Captain George to gather all forces about to head south fast as possible to "The Neck", the narrow point to Charleston's peninsula north.
The British landing is devastating.
Stop the Britishers at the Neck to save them in South Carolina, and the local plantations around the small town of North Charleston, 3 miles east of Lowel plantation.
Hold the Neck to stop the Britishers heading north and to box them in. Reinforcements will be sent as when we can.
The British 42nd highlanders have stormed a landing at Monck's Corner, only a few miles north of Charleston. Resistance was useless as another 50 transports and 5 more war galleys arrived too. Their numbers ther are estimated to be two and a half thousand now."
Corporal Milli was given the task of rousing more armed citizenry to join in the fight initially in North Charleston and surrounding plantations. Many Free and even enslaved Negros took up arms, most of the Freed ones especially.

Last edited:
Mad Milli sauntered up to the grand Lowell Manor on her huge black destrier named Bentley, now with thick leather barding with spiked brass studs.
All about all were asking "What news Milli, what's happening, why are you back here, ...? "
Milli just smiled with cheerful greetings and joking with the children. "Mind those spikes, they're coated in Dragon venom!" ....

Her Godfather Uncle Walt was home with most of the family, both sides. Asking a private audience Walt led her into his study and shut the doors. Sitting on either side of his large and ornate mahogany desk he asked "Okay Millicent, what's all this about?"

Milli not being a wallflower delivered her verbal message in her own style:
"It's words from the three captains led by George. This is the guts of it.
Their small defense at the Neck could well be overpowered if the French were so determined, or they weren't? Regardless we can at least be a distraction to the enemy.
In that worst case scene Captain George has suggested, very quietly, a fall back point. That point to be here in Lowell manor with its Roses.
To that end he wants you to stay here and further strengthen your defences. My father Eddie suggested laying the fused mines the forge has in stock. Whatever else you can think of my dear Uncle Walt, pray for us." as she hugged him farewell.
"I must return.
Do you have any private words to pass on to Captain George or my father ?"

Last edited:
Dear Milli tell your father to tell Captain George that we will lay the mines front and back of the manor, old Angus will know how to detonate them because I dont. Lowell Manor and Walt Lowell are at the service of the Continental Army should they be in need of shelter.

Tell Eddie and Robbie to keep their heads down and dont take any risks, you too of course Milli. And ensure you all I pray for you every nite as does Rose and Eliza, the children, the servants and old Joshua. He is 75 this year and is as spritely and as a young buck.

Old Joshua suggested dampening all the Rose beds in case the Redcoats used fire. The lady Eliza agreed "Save my roses from those damned Redcoats and get me a musket, a light one, and a pistol! Charlie get some lads drenching my roses with lots of water and horse manure."

Old Angus the watchmaker turned bomb maker had lads like Walt's son Jake labour for him laying the mines with fuses. Angus taught young Jake how it all worked and how to use the mine field. Likewise he recruited three other flint strikers including an intelligent and steely eyed young woman called Lucinda, Jakes older sister.
"Ask your father" said Angus.

Rose/Molly's militia footman sergeant Pat was off to the battle in a big horse cart in Lt. Eddies platoon and she and her growing children had moved back into Lowell Manor where Rose had a big office for all the Plantation and Forge's costings. The muskets had been paid for in gold despite the heavy war discounts imposed upon them by the Continental Army.

Last edited:
In 1780 mines weren't true mines but small barrels of gunpowder with shrapnel inside and a basic fuse to be lit with careful timing.
Scores were being laid across the Neck on orders from Captain George with spiked ditches being dug.
In front of the frantic labourers and exploding casks were 100 foot Musket men and 100 Calvary, a mix of Pennsylvanian French and Southern Carolinians.

With his fine telescope Lt. Eddy saw the marching columns of Redcoats first. Handing his scope to Captain George who exclaimed "Bloold of Christ, it looks like it's many hundreds, a whole Batallion with some horsemen.

In his loudest voice Captain George called out:

"Quiet and listen up men:

FINNISH SETTING THE CASKS AND DITCHES MEN AND PREPARE TO RETREAT QUICKLY AND FIGHT.

CALVARY UNITS FORM UP FOR A DISRUPTING CHARGE AND INFANTRY MUSKET MEN FORM DOUBLE RANKS BEHIND THE DITCHES.

WAGON MEN, PREPARE TO RETREAT TO LOWELL MANOR. MICK TO LEAD.

CALVARY, PREPARE TO CHARGE LED BY CAPTAIN ALAIN AND LIEUTENANT MARSHAL."

In what seemed like an eternity men and horsemen formed ranks as the Redcosts marched ever closer.

"Liberty Men, Left and right flanks, CHARGE!

'At least my son Sgt. Robbie is with our 20+ mixed Lowell Plantation musketmen, Irish and freed Negros mostly, they'll be safer.' thought Jake as he led his Company's 50 horsemen to harry and disrupt the Enemy's left flank before turning back. Sharp Sabres were drawn.

As the Calvary charged towards the Redcoats a loud shrill voice came galloping past, even past French Cpt. Alain and Lt. Eddie on a huge brown barded warhorse shrieking "Kill the Bastards!"
Of course it was Corporal Mad Millicent Marshall despite her messenger duties.
All the horsemen, nco's, officers spurred on faster towards the Redcoats columns sensing her rage and valour, all enveloped by her madness and courage.
Eddie's eye's misted red as the French were yelling strange words and the S Carolinians shouted their own colourful war cries following Milli's example.
"Kill the Basrards!!"

Last edited:
Things were tense in the manor as dusk settled over Sommerville. The house both up and down stairs was beginning to resemble a military headquarters with weapons and ammunition occupying several large rooms, all in readiness should any Red Coats decide to venture this side of Ashley River. There was an American flag with stars for the 13 new states hanging from the ceiling. Tho in his civvies Walt was playing the commander walking from room to room to tell all to stay alert, the French soldiers, his own 15 man militia, comprising 5 of his remaining Irish workers and 12 freed slaves who said they'd ''always stay with Massa Lowell''. His most loyal being old Joshua, his boy Ezekiel and his two strapping sons, Jeremiah and Joseph. And there were his wife Ruby and their three daughters Leticia, Mima and Sena, his own boy Jake, fast becoming a man in body and mind, plus his god son Robbie, now a Sgt commanding the 20 Irish and American musket men his father had gotten Walt for the protection of Lowell and Marshall manors...

Last edited:
Back