Videos and Links

The better batsmen thumped me a bit but that was early on and there were about 15 bowlers sharing two nets so that didn't help. But the turn was there and when I got the line and length right stuff started happening. One guy charged down the wicket at me, played and missed.

My pleasure, keep up the good work. The blog and Philpott's book got me to where I am so far but I felt I needed some feedback so came here. What a great forum this is.

Yeah there's some good blokes on here, it's been more active in the past, but been a little quiet the last year or so, fingers crossed it might pick up again.

Here's a new video that's just been ripped that Funk has posted over on my own forum. Very much worth a look at... Stuart Macgill and Warney bowling in tandem, 22 minutes of it with analysis and slo-mo footage, looking at and comparing their actions.

#!

Hi Dave,
Great video. You can see both the spinners are 95% similar, except the left arm of McGill going away. Very good demonstration of the fundamentals.

Season's about to start here in the UK, here's a video of some of my pre-season practice have a look and see what you think...

Completely agree with legspinbowler, the direction of your follow through is inconsistent, it should always be at your target no matter what variation you're bowling. This may sound kind of weird but try driving yourself at the target, the hip should still come through correctly if you're doing everything else right.

Top find! Just listening to the first one now. I'm kind of surprised at what Macgill has said about the commentary style seen/heard on the tele/web/radio at the moment. Cricket is an esoteric game and as he implies it's not that easy to access. He makes a good point about being there and the fact that you can switch on and off, engage and disengage with the game. But watching/listening to it, I think the traditional approach is pretty much spot on - I can't imagine what you'd do to change it.

Frank Farrington 7 wickets in two overs - includes 2 separate hat-tricks 3-0-12-7

Love it - what a day Frank had, stunning bowling!!

My son was only allowed to bowl one over today in a 6s tournament, 24 overs in total all afternoon, it was a beautiful over too with a very near wicket, it's so strange when he can bowl so beautifully and yet most of the other bowlers (fast & medium) seem to throw the ball rather than bowl. Oh well he must keep at it. I'll try and post some film of him soon.

Love it - what a day Frank had, stunning bowling!!

My son was only allowed to bowl one over today in a 6s tournament, 24 overs in total all afternoon, it was a beautiful over too with a very near wicket, it's so strange when he can bowl so beautifully and yet most of the other bowlers (fast & medium) seem to throw the ball rather than bowl. Oh well he must keep at it. I'll try and post some film of him soon.

Yeah it'll be good to see, we've got a young kid at out club who bowls chinaman and Left arm orthodox and he mixes them up in the games. He plays in the games I play in (He's 15) so I've yet to get any footage of him.

Yeah it'll be good to see, we've got a young kid at out club who bowls chinaman and Left arm orthodox and he mixes them up in the games. He plays in the games I play in (He's 15) so I've yet to get any footage of him.

A high quality combination. Does he use one as his stock ball or does he mix them up 50:50?

He's been bowling his left arm stock wrist - spinners (Leg Breaks to the LH bat) off-breaks to the RH bat. Actually, this brings up an interesting conversation I had with Frank and a couple of others. Frank bats Left handed, so my stock ball which is a Leg Break to a RH bat becomes an off-break to Frank because he's a LH bat with the ball turning into him. So from Franks perspective I'm bowling off-breaks when I bowl with my stock ball action being a RH bowler. I therefore said to him "I'll bowl offies at you" and then when I did he said "No, you're still bowling leg Breaks". I then came back with "Well... yeah I'm bowling my stock ball which if I was bowling at a RH bat would be a leg break, but because you bat LH it becomes a off-break because it's being pitched outside your off-stump and turning into your body. So what should it be called an off-break or a leg-break? I'm pretty convinced that it should be referred to despite being my leg break action 90% of the time to right hand bats, that when bowled at LH bats it's an off-break.

He's been bowling his left arm stock wrist - spinners (Leg Breaks to the LH bat) off-breaks to the RH bat. Actually, this brings up an interesting conversation I had with Frank and a couple of others. Frank bats Left handed, so my stock ball which is a Leg Break to a RH bat becomes an off-break to Frank because he's a LH bat with the ball turning into him. So from Franks perspective I'm bowling off-breaks when I bowl with my stock ball action being a RH bowler. I therefore said to him "I'll bowl offies at you" and then when I did he said "No, you're still bowling leg Breaks". I then came back with "Well... yeah I'm bowling my stock ball which if I was bowling at a RH bat would be a leg break, but because you bat LH it becomes a off-break because it's being pitched outside your off-stump and turning into your body. So what should it be called an off-break or a leg-break? I'm pretty convinced that it should be referred to despite being my leg break action 90% of the time to right hand bats, that when bowled at LH bats it's an off-break.

Its confusing isn't it? I think the convention is that a leg break bowler bowls leg breaks regardless of which hand the batsman bats with, or even if there is a batsman there at all.

What about variations? Is a googly a type of off break or a type of leg break?

Left arm bowlers make it even more confusing. If I bowl a wrist spinner, is that an offbreak? What about if I bowl it to a left handed batsman?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...-bowling-secrets/story-fndpt0dy-1226674576039

Interesting how hey talk about crosswind, something I have forgotten to chat about. Say there is a crosswind going from off side to leg side, and a right arm bowler bowls a pure side spun delivery, the crosswind should help with getting dip, and for a crosswind going from leg side to off side should make the ball stay in the air a little longer/flatten out a bit than having no crosswind at all.

A new video I have found too, 5:21 in there is a Leg Spinning Tute.

Back