Videos and Links

hey i bowl offspin, and sometimes i bowl a ball that is so short that it nearly bounces twice, and is very embarrassing as it happens every game. can you please give me some tips on where im going wrong, my action, etc. here are the videos of me bowling.

There is nothing immediately obviously wrong with your action.

The three most common causes of short deliveries are:

1) An inconsistent action - particularly the length or run up, the pace you arrive at the crease, the stride length, the height of arm. This will ruin the rhythm of your action and lead to inconsistent pace and length. Generally if you arm is lower, your stride length longer, or your run up slower, it will make the ball come out shorter.

2) an inconsistent finger release - sometimes when you really try to rip the ball, the ball gets kind of stuck in the fingers, delaying the release point, and it gets dragged short. You would probably know if this was the problem.

3) indecision, particularly about how fast to bowl. If you want to bowl slower you need to let go of the ball earlier, if you want to bowl quicker to need to let go of the ball later etc. Sometimes these get muddled up particularly if you make a late decision and you end up bowling slower but on the same trajectory, this means the ball will simply drop way short.

Seeing as you haven't posted a video of a short ball, its hard to guess what it is going wrong: which of these do YOU think is the problem?

There is nothing immediately obviously wrong with your action.

The three most common causes of short deliveries are:

1) An inconsistent action - particularly the length or run up, the pace you arrive at the crease, the stride length, the height of arm. This will ruin the rhythm of your action and lead to inconsistent pace and length. Generally if you arm is lower, your stride length longer, or your run up slower, it will make the ball come out shorter.

2) an inconsistent finger release - sometimes when you really try to rip the ball, the ball gets kind of stuck in the fingers, delaying the release point, and it gets dragged short. You would probably know if this was the problem.

3) indecision, particularly about how fast to bowl. If you want to bowl slower you need to let go of the ball earlier, if you want to bowl quicker to need to let go of the ball later etc. Sometimes these get muddled up particularly if you make a late decision and you end up bowling slower but on the same trajectory, this means the ball will simply drop way short.

Seeing as you haven't posted a video of a short ball, its hard to guess what it is going wrong: which of these do YOU think is the problem?

I think its the first one, my front arm isnt strong enough, most people say, how do make it stronger in action

i am a leg spinner, can anyone help me! my non bowling arm gets straight pointing towards the ground when i jump, is it fine or i will have to change it, i remember that a few days ago i bowled very well with the arm straight but now i am bowling very badly.

and i dont think i pivot? can you tell me how to pivot, and some exercises to get better at it?
As you land out of your bound on your right foot (side on), you transfer your weight on to your left foot, you need to do this landing on your toes, not flat footed and then raise up on the toes a little more as your body pivots. If possible, you can also use your ankle joint to get a little more 'twist' into the pivot. A drill I've been given by Liz Ward works to improve this aspect of your bowling...

Balance on your pivot foot and raise your heel off the ground so that you're balancing on the ball of your foot and toes. Using your ankle joint twist the ball of your foot anti-clockwise maintaining your balance, repeat ad infinitum. Don't use your hips, arms or any other part of the body to generate the rotation/twist.

As you land out of your bound on your right foot (side on), you transfer your weight on to your left foot, you need to do this landing on your toes, not flat footed and then raise up on the toes a little more as your body pivots. If possible, you can also use your ankle joint to get a little more 'twist' into the pivot. A drill I've been given by Liz Ward works to improve this aspect of your bowling...

Balance on your pivot foot and raise your heel off the ground so that you're balancing on the ball of your foot and toes. Using your ankle joint twist the ball of your foot anti-clockwise maintaining your balance, repeat ad infinitum. Don't use your hips, arms or any other part of the body to generate the rotation/twist.

can you see anything wrong with my action? anything i can improve

Stuart Macgill's new danger ball... Is this just the same way Warne bowled his slider? Because it looks a bit like my backspinning leg break:confused:, the video quality isn't good enough for me to see if he uses his ring finger to flick the ball out. But I suppose it's just a Warne slider, Macgill's action isn't perfect for bowling a backspinning leggy, You need lots of drift to make it skid on. (it almost looks like he drifts the ball in the wrong direction because of his round arm action / over rotation or something like that)

Stuart Macgill's new danger ball... Is this just the same way Warne bowled his slider? Because it looks a bit like my backspinning leg break:confused:, the video quality isn't good enough for me to see if he uses his ring finger to flick the ball out. But I suppose it's just a Warne slider, Macgill's action isn't perfect for bowling a backspinning leggy, You need lots of drift to make it skid on. (it almost looks like he drifts the ball in the wrong direction because of his round arm action / over rotation or something like that)

You can see here how he rolls his fingers down the back of the ball: it is virtually identical to Warne's slider below.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Thanks SLA:)...
I'm struggling with the Warne and Macgill slider:confused: It just feels like a very obvious ball ! But I already have a jaffa of a backspinning skidder so there's probably no need for this one too. Great variation to have though, Warne sure had lots of success with it:D

Thanks SLA:)...
I'm struggling with the Warne and Macgill slider:confused: It just feels like a very obvious ball ! But I already have a jaffa of a backspinning skidder so there's probably no need for this one too. Great variation to have though, Warne sure had lots of success with it:D

On its own it would be useless. But when you've faced over after over of ripping dipping leaping legspinners, a ball that just skids straight on like that can completely fool you.

On its own it would be useless. But when you've faced over after over of ripping dipping leaping legspinners, a ball that just skids straight on like that can completely fool you.

Yes, but you could also use the slider as your stock ball. I do that very regularly (but of course it's more of a backspinning leggy that skids on) the backspin makes the ball land fuller than anticipated and causes the ball to stay low. Mixing your pace and flight with a backspinner is a great weapon on its own. But the wicket taking ball will always be the sudden dipping, drifting, kicking leg spinner! I'm surprised that other leggies rarely use this tactic. It could be because of the high risk, but high risk often means high reward. Especially in leg spin bowling:)

Yes, but you could also use the slider as your stock ball. I do that very regularly (but of course it's more of a backspinning leggy that skids on) the backspin makes the ball land fuller than anticipated and causes the ball to stay low. Mixing your pace and flight with a backspinner is a great weapon on its own. But the wicket taking ball will always be the sudden dipping, drifting, kicking leg spinner! I'm surprised that other leggies rarely use this tactic. It could be because of the high risk, but high risk often means high reward. Especially in leg spin bowling:)

Game Theory suggests that you should always use your best ball as your stock ball. If you can bowl a decent leggie, that is always a better ball than a slider.

Game Theory suggests that you should always use your best ball as your stock ball. If you can bowl a decent leggie, that is always a better ball than a slider.

Yes, but the change from lots of sliders to a leg break is bound to cause plenty of confusion. It's like a pace bowler bowling 85kph then firing one down at 135kph. Incredibly deceiving...

I disagree with Game Theory. Lots of bowlers have variations that are better than their stock balls ex. Imran Tahir's wrong 'un or Saeed Ajmal's doosra. They don't use these variations sparingly, but they are still the variations! It does make sense that you would want to use your best ball the most, but using subtlety to surprise the batsman and catch him unawares is just as important as constantly bombarding him with good deliveries.

Peter Philpott discusses the importance of mixing side, back, and top spin in his book on Wrist Spin. The conclusion is that you will have more success if you vary the amount of side, back and top spin you will make it much harder for the batsman to accurately judge the length of your deliveries (resulting in an error and his wicket) If the ball is landing about a foot fuller than he anticipates for about 5 consecutive deliveries, and you bowl a top spinning leg break which lands 2 feet shorter than anticipated... The ball will drop 3 feet shorter than he is used to, so it will bounce 3 feet further, bounce higher, and have more pace off the wicket. The opposite tactic is usually used (top spin followed by back spin) but I find the backspin followed by top spin tactic more useful:) It may or may not work as good for someone else.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8863735/shane-warne-spin-masterclass
Might only work in the UK, otherwise download Hula unblocker (for google chrome), but here's Shane Warne's masterclass that was aired during the Ashes series in England. There are some great tips on how to bowl on different sufaces.

Thanks for the video, very interesting! [worked fine here in South Africa] So Warne preferred bowling to left handers in the second innings:cool:... The power of in-spinning deliveries:D Saturday when I bowled against Union Stars on a very, very bouncy track with lots of turn I used that Warne-crease-tactic against a left handed batsman. He didn't get out, but he was extremely uncomfortable. Have any of you had success with it?

Those are good videos, like those drills a lot! But look at the "over-spin" drill, does that rope their holding seem a bit low to you? If I ever did that drill I'd tie a string 3 meters above the ground, 6 meters in front of me. Is that way too high? It feels right and I can land the ball 2.2 meters in front of the popping crease easily with that amount of flight at 50-60 k/h.
0:16 - scrambled seam top spinner?:D

Back