Videos and Links

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by someblokecalleddave, Apr 5, 2010.

Put it out there
  1. SLA

SLA Well-Known Member

I understood what he meant, but its nonsense. A bowler can bowl from square leg if he wants, it makes no difference to a competent batsman. There is no such thing as a "change in angle". Every ball comes straight from the bowler's hand to the batsman. There is no angle. Its not French cricket.

2. Thivagar

Thivagar Member

Any feed backs ?

Leg Breaks (1)

Leg Breaks (2)

Topspin-legbreaks

Googly/Wrongun

Max Andrews likes this.
  3. SLA

SLA Well-Known Member

Why would the ball seem to turn less? Think it through.

4. SLA

SLA Well-Known Member

The degree of turn is the same. A ball that is heading for middle turns to miss off, and a ball that is heading down the legside turns to hit middle. Same amount of turn, different initial direction - and easily spotted by any half-way competent batsman.

Obviously, this becomes even less relevant should the bowler go round the wicket, because at that point the batsman gains a crucial clue in the umpire shouting out "now coming around the wicket" so he remarks his guard and adjusts his alignment accordingly. There is no element of surprise whatsoever.

5. Max Andrews

Max Andrews Member

Hi Thivagar

I have had a look at your video, you have a good action and look like you bowl a good leg break. It's not the best video angle but there are a few things I would recommend. You need to learn how to use your lower body to create energy, by driving your lower leg peaking your running speed into front foot plant will help you transfer your momentum into your hips. When your front foot lands your leg is too vertical, you need to drive more with your back leg so you can then brace or extend your front leg back into your hips before you release the ball. This will transfer the energy from your lower half into your upper body.

I have the drills to help you enhance this on my upcoming biomechanics course on Pitch-Vision. You can click here to see the preview.

Another small change you should definitely make is your run up should be in a straight line towards the target. This will help you align yourself better in your action, hence allowing you to transfer all your energy towards the target.

Hopefully, you found the recommendations above useful. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

Max.

Spin King23 likes this.
  6. Max Andrews

Max Andrews Member

I played with the guy at the bowler's end, Peter Fulton. Vey knowledgeable cricketer and had some good insights on how he plays spin.

7. TomBowler97

TomBowler97 Member

TWO new videos, side on and behind view! I hope you enjoy, the behind video is more focused on my action more than what the ball is doing, however I did include some bad balls like drag downs, the videos are only about 1 minute long. Recommend watching on YT for quality reasons. @Cleanprophet @boogiespinner @Max Andrews

8. Max Andrews

Max Andrews Member

Hi Tom

Here is the link to your video analysis. http://max-andrews.thinkific.com/courses/learn-how-to-extend-the-back-leg I have included the introductory video from your last analysis as well. There are a few things that I think you should work on to improve your bowling. You’ll notice that your force vector of the direction of force to a lot more vertical than Rashid’s, this will make it difficult for you to transfer your energy efficiently towards the target. In turn, you struggle to drive and extend your back leg effectively. This means you are not generating a lot of force in your lower body, hence your upper body is having to create this force, which makes it difficult for you to be consistent. Have a look at the video analysis which goes over this in more detail. The drills that I recommend for you are the extension, drive and band drills, I have included these in the video analysis. Also, these drills will be available on my upcoming course on Pitch-Vision. Hopefully, this will help you out a bit and let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Max.

Spin King23 likes this.
  9. Dan Mad5

Dan Mad5 New Member

Here's a link to video of my bowling from different angles. What do you guys think?

boogiespinner likes this.
  10. Dan Mad5

Dan Mad5 New Member

Max Andrews likes this.
  11. Max Andrews

Max Andrews Member

Glad you liked it, Dan. Let me know how you get on and good luck.

12. Neville Young

Neville Young Active Member

You wouldn't believe the amount of politically correct criticism we have had in Australia about the term, "Chinaman".

13. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

Concerning its use in cricket or just outside?

We've just had a piece in one of the UK papers suggesting we should find another term for left hand wrist spinners
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/28/the-spin-cricket-chinaman-phrase

14. Neville Young

15. boogiespinner

Superb Abdul Qadir slo-mo video from 0:40

Looks like a very heavily topspun legbreak. I don't think Qadir had the wide seam angle for the legbreak. By far the prettiest action though IMVHO. All relaxation!

16. boogiespinner

Unexpected treat to find this... footage of Laxman Sivaramakrishnan in ODI vs Pakistan, 1983
    from 14:20

absolutely peach of a delivery at 18:30 to remove Javed Miandad

17. someblokecalleddave

someblokecalleddave Well-Known Member

I read an article in a paper here in the UK about it with the same viewpoint you're extolling - having read it, came away with a different view. Then spoke to women I work with and sit next to - Astra Achong who's distantly related to him she suspects as here Dad's from Trinidad and says his Dad's relatives played cricket there at a high standard. Being related she thought it was a bit 'Sketchy', when I told her the story. Just seen Boogie Spinners link to the article above.

18. someblokecalleddave

someblokecalleddave Well-Known Member

How's that for non-orthodox run in and follow through!

19. boogiespinner

Yeah! I loved Qadir's skipping! But years later I remember Qadir being interviewed and saying that he could bowl just as well with a smooth run up, but he used the skips to add mystique!

20. Neville Young

Put it out there