Videos and Links

Not a long time ago, ( actually a long time ago, really), I watched some excellent videos of Marcus Trescothick playing a shot on BBC cricket website. What was the icing on the cake was that there was Shane Warne, and his esteemed coach who exhibited the art of leg spin bowling. In fact, I was more interested in the coach'es advice, than in Shane Warne's. I must visit BBC cricket again, to see if they have added any new videos.

Not a long time ago, ( actually a long time ago, really), I watched some excellent videos of Marcus Trescothick playing a shot on BBC cricket website. What was the icing on the cake was that there was Shane Warne, and his esteemed coach who exhibited the art of leg spin bowling. In fact, I was more interested in the coach'es advice, than in Shane Warne's. I must visit BBC cricket again, to see if they have added any new videos.

If you find them you should link them to here so that we can all have a look.

I'm surprised that the sports section of the BBC world website is not known universally. I have given the link to the BBC cricket skills page in in my previous reply here.

I'm shocked, there are adverts on before the videos, is this the bbc? Never happen on the Abc thank god.

Yeah that link is pretty well known here in the UK, but I was under the impression that the rest of the world wasn't able to access most of it for some reason. We don't get the ads, what comes up as an ad before it then?

Yeah that link is pretty well known here in the UK, but I was under the impression that the rest of the world wasn't able to access most of it for some reason. We don't get the ads, what comes up as an ad before it then?

Fed ex, Michelin tyres and a Hong Kong tourism ad to name a few. I wonder if the BBC is receiving the revenue from advertising abroad? Good site though.

In explorer and firefox I get this message:

Audio and Video on Cricinfo.com

We apologise that audio and video files on Cricinfo.com are temporarily unavailable. We are in the process
of transferring all our existing multimedia content (a considerable number of files) to a new server - as
soon as this has been completed you will be able to watch and listen to clips as before.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

CricInfo.com

In explorer and firefox I get this message:

Audio and Video on Cricinfo.com

We apologise that audio and video files on Cricinfo.com are temporarily unavailable. We are in the process
of transferring all our existing multimedia content (a considerable number of files) to a new server - as
soon as this has been completed you will be able to watch and listen to clips as before.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

CricInfo.com

I had a look, this looks like an exceptionally good resource, but like you I wasn't able to open the video links and got the same message from Cricinfo.

Not watched these in ages, and I'm glad I gave them another look because I've realised something.

I didn't really notice it first time around, but the 2 youngsters (Max Waller and Will Beer) are about as inconsistent as I am!! Wide outside off stump, overpitched. They don't really look any faster either. Whereas old man Warney lands pretty much every ball on the money, they are pretty much all passing over (or hitting) off stump! I don't think theres the divide between county leg spinners and club leg spinners that there seems. Its miles easier to bowl leg spin on good wickets, and even easier when you've got good fielders and you're up against technically correct batsmen. So it stands to reason that in order to become a professional leg spinner, you've either got to be exceptional from a young age, or be a very good batsman/all round cricketer at youth level and get picked up by district and county youth sides. Then once you're in the door and playing on proper wickets every week against proper batsmen, its much easier to get spotted for your legspin. Trying to start from club cricket you basically stand no chance at all. Joe Denly for Kent is probably a good example. He bowls a bit of legspin but its nothing at all special, I've seen way better in club cricket. He bowls overs for Kent just because hes there, and hes there as a batsman. If he wasn't a batsman, he would be bowling leg spin for a club side in some lowly league like me. Apparently hes done loads of work on his bowling over the winter and its improved a lot, so he should get more overs this season as a genuine bowling option, rather than someone to fill in a few overs when all the "proper" bowlers are tired out.

The other thing you notice from the videos, is that aside from the occasional magic ball that Warney used to bowl (we've all seen the highlight reels), the key to his success where others have failed was consistency (its the main difference in the video between Warne and the 2 youngsters, they are probably only marginally slower on speed than him, and aren't turning the ball a lot less). He could land the ball on the perfect line and length 95% of the time, and the 5% of not so good deliveries were still only generally marginally loose. Gifting batsmen runs from loose deliveries is probably the main difference between where my bowling is at now, and the non-international leg spinners at county level. If I could land 6 balls an over instead of 2, I'd probably be playing at a much higher level, or taking tons of wickets at my current level. I need to get some serious practice in!!

Good to see that message at the end, you know the one...... years and years and years of practice, not minutes or half hours, but hours and hours and hours all the time and flicking the ball when you're not practicing.

Back