Virender's Blog-2008

Re: Virender's Blog-2008

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't really have the contact details but I'll try to get them if possible. Its called the P.A. Mhatre Ground and is located in Juhu. It should be possible to book the ground but I'm not sure of the charges.

Chapter11- Weekend Practice Match.

We started Saturday's practice with couple of practice matches.
Since on an average there are 8-10 players.
A team compromising of 5 players each is possible for the practice match.
Since we were 9 players in total.
I opted to field/bat/ball for both the team's depending on the captain's call.
I wanted to practice more and more so was ready to do the extra work load.
It was exciting to field and ball for both the teams.
On Sunday; we had more players in total to 12 players.
I was interested in leading a team so took the plunge.
When it came to selecting the players; i insured to select the lesser skilled players so as to give them the maximum opportunity to perform their part and gain more exprience and confidence.
This is our team:
Hemant-Batsmen.
Myself- Allrounder.
Sachin- Offspinner.
Arvind- WK.
Manoj P- Fast Bowler/Pinch hitter.
We played the matches on 5 overs each and every players to bowl wether he is a bowler or not.
Only runs of the Off side shots will be considered and sixes will result into direct "OUT".
1st Match: we lost the toss and fielded first.I passed the bowl to our WK and let him set his own field.Amazingly he bowled very well taking two important wickets including a catch by myself.
next over was bowled by me and had my arh rival-Amol facing; so it was good opportunity to seldge him and bowled a body line angle one ball even bounced awakardly on him.
But they still manage to score 24 runs in 5 overs.
Sensing it is a low score;i sent one tailender to bat alongwith the WK.
We had tough time chasing as the opposition had quality all rounders.
But we did kept them on toes till the last over and eventually we lost by one run.But the amount of pressure on the opposition's face was our victory.
2nd Match: I won the toss and elected to bat.we batted very poorly and scored only 18 runs.With having scored 24 runs in previous match they were grining.
I just told my boys to enjoy the moment and bowl with a clear mind without taking any pressure.
We won by 4 runs by bowling them out:D
3rd Match: They won the toss and elected to bat.I decided to let my offie bowl the first over and then accordingly i will plan my next move.
But the offie gave away 11 runs in his over.I was by that terribly exhausted and had tough time fielding.So i took the risk of letting one fast bowler and two non-regular bowlers to bowl and i was to bowl the last over.Maybe by that time i will catch some breath.
When i came to bowl the score was 29 runs and the opposition had three wickets in hand.
But something happened i just bowled managed to get run-outs and only 2 runs.
The total runs was 32 from 5 overs.
My teammate's were jokinly saying "Virender is at his best when he is tired like a warhorse":rolleyes:".
But that tiredness let me take the last batting order and i sent my pinch hitter for some quick runs and that would put pressure on the opposition.
But unfortunately within a span of 5 balls we lost two wickets and the pathetic thing was that my rival-Amol the bloody ************ took both of the catches.
I was the last man in and only a tailender on the other end.
I had planned to score cheeky singles and then go after the two non-bowlers but before i could even think to work on that.
An error by the non-striker cost hs wicket and we lost by a big margin.
The opposition captain-Chandan was dancing with joy and teasing me.
I just replied cooly that we have made u dnace like this is a victory for us.
Judging by the skill level our team was the weakest team but still i selected them so i can prepare myself to lead such a team in near future.
Having strong players in ur team is a bonus but to manage a team with less skilled players is a challenging part as they are always wanting to win and do better.To motivate them and handle the pressure is something i always enjoy.

After the match practice; Chandan remarked that "This practice will be helpful in putting us in the right frame of mind when the season starts".
Coming from him was satisfying and i felt happy to hear that.
During tea;some of the teammates were in mood to pull my leg and demanding treat if i wish to lead in the coming matches.
************ amol was boosting about his two catches and how it changed the match to which i just said it was easy catch because of the rubber ball.it will be interesting to see the same with a cricket ball.He kept quiet after that.
THis sort of practice helps us to focus in fielding,batting and bowling.
Becuase their are 5 players in each side a 5 over match is played.
But we play 3 matches so we are fielding in total for 15 overs.
This frequency cannot be increased as the players come for a 2 hour practice.
I am thinking to have matches with the other team's practicing nearby.Atleast couple of 12 or one 20 over match.
Atleast two teams are playing in the same ground.
But due to limited ground access;that looks a dim possibility.Even the other team should be interested.
I will work out the same with my captain.
Coming weekend i will make it a point to reach the ground at 6:30AM to practice "Spot Bowling".I need to practice my line and length and make it a habit to make the "Spot Bowling" practice a regular in this off season.
Even with the rubber ball it will not be the same.
But atleast i will work on my arm angle,toe direction and concentration of line and length.It works on these line and develops the spin bowling.
Hope i will continue this with more gutsy:)

Chapter 12- Practice Matches.
Rain was at it worst on weekends with saturday being very heavy rainfall.
But the determined ones did came and we were 6 people to play.
We played atleast 3 matches among ourselves of 4 overs each.
It was like playing in a river with water flowing like a river and we were playing without anything to worry.
Only if the shot was offered the ball required to be searched inside the flowing water.
On sunday rain flow was less heavy and most of the people turned up.
We had the captain and coach to lead the teams and pickign their players and a 5 over each was played.
We played 4 matches in a row and won by 4-0 a complete whitewash.
First match;we had thetask fo chasing 24 runs in 30 balls and lost a early wicket.But i and another player added 21 runs and took the match safely towards victory.Next one we also won by defending a score of 19 runs and bowling them out.In third match we again failed to scor and were to defend 18 runs.I took the call of bowling first and assured the captain that atleast 2- 3 runs will ge them in tight spot.The same was done with 3 runs and 1 wicket.
Fourth match we batted and scored 29 runs due to big hitting from two batsmen and they batted till the 5th over.Again the opposition struggled and they lost by 11 runs.I did not bowled and batted in the last match.
Winning was a good feeling as we are developing a good habit and it very important that players will be in right frame of mind as the season starts in few months.
Entries for two Tournaments(Thosar & Thane Summer league) were filled out yesterday and we are hoping that the team really perform well this season so we can then play in some tournaments in mumbai in next season .
This is being assured by the sporting club to us.So we can focus to get a few friendly matches in mumbai.
Once the players get the exposure of playing against the good teams in mumbai.The exprience will be helpful.So far now the players are contend to play in thane so travelling is less hectic.But for the club to prosper and gain more valuable exposure we need to take the extra yard.
Playing more matches will get more players involved in the game and the experience will be helpful.The right batting combination,good and bad fielders,bowling attack- all these things can looked and plan accordingly.
Fast bowlers are a plenty but there are only two spinners-offie and myself.
To handle the spinners is a challenge for the captain and i have observed that this team never had any spinners earlier.So to set the field or the way to use the spinner is a uphill task for the captain.No one has the clue about spin bowling.I asked the captain and coach is anyone capable to handle spinners in terms of helping with their technical errors.They replied in negative.That was shocking.In any team spinners play a very important role.If ur opening fast bowlers are taking early wickets then they have to carry the same momentum and put pressure on batting;if opening bowlers are not able to get wickets then the spinners have the task of blocking the batsmen's runs and get wickets.
Generally in an ODI of 45 overs; a spinner has 9 overs to bowl and he atleast requires 2-3 overs to get his pitching right.On an average a spinner's economy is atleast 4-4.5 rpo in a match.

That's dedication Virender! Maybe next winter I can convince some of our team to come and play in the rain :)

Chapter13- Practice Matches.
It is late to enter but was occupied with work.
We had a fruitful practice last weekend and some photos as well to show.
We are getting a few attentions from other only tennis playing teams to play friendly/competitive matches but our captain turned them down as we need to concentrate more on our practice matches and maybe later on.
I had a good spell of bowling last weekend and was very good to see the results.
Looking forward to this weekend practice.

Thanks Scott; last sunday i had fallen down few times to stop the singles.
Since it was raining so it was fun as well.
Luckily there are no snakes or frogs in the grass to bother our practice.:D
This weekend also went the same but it was funny with leg pulling and joking going around.
I think we all have a good laugh in this two days a lot.
One of the senior teammate(guy with both hands raised) acknowledged my effort to get this team together for off season practice as they were reluctant to come before thinking about the rain and mud.
But now everybody comes and enjoys a lot.
They thanked me that it I have brought a positive effect with this practice idea.
I felt happy that my teammates are enjoying the game especially in the rain and mud but nobody complains.That is so good for our club:D
Yes in fact i don't even have to call everybody on friday requesting them to come on Weekends.
Each and everybody now comes regularly on the ground at sharp 7:00 AM.
This weekend my batting,bowling and fielding came good enough.
So few photos again>>>>>>> :cool:
I am for the first time in a photo(Guy with Blue Cap)

Thanks Ed,

The season will start after 9th of October'08.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_SH0ZvYzk"]YouTube - My Left Arm Spin Bowling[/ame]

The above link is my Left arm spin bowling.

Wow, the field looks pretty wet! It's quite difficult to see what's happening with the framerate. I hope the effort you guys are putting in will pay dividends in October.

Well I hope the same:D

I will be posting more photos and videos with my mobile camera.

Added 23 hour(s), 44 minute(s) and 30 second(s) later...

Tomorrow is our Independence Day and we will be celebrating by practicing tomorrow and in the weekens as well.
Three days in a row that is so good:D
Will post photos or videos.

Chapter 14- Practice.
Two Days of practice in mud and rain was fantastic.
Looking forward to more tomorrow.
Now with cricket it is also important to avoid getting fall down due to slippery surface.
Most of the time bowlers have slided in the mud like ice skating.
Fielders have slipped in the grass to stop a single or to take a catch.
But in the end it is also fun and injury free sessions.
Looking forward to tomorrow's practice.

More photos from today's practice.
We had to shift from the centre ground to a corner one becoz the earlier field is not in playable condition due to some guys playing football.
But this new found corner of the ground is good as we get some advantgae to play leg side ground shots.Also the monsoon grass cover is a lot so fielding is a challenge and exciting.
We have used the pitch roller to a good effect to make the wet surface atleast in playable condition.

This Weekend's practice was good as their was no rain on both the days.
The pitch was hard and ball was coming on bat with the ocassional uneven bounce.
I had a great time with my batting and was scoring the highest.
Today we played atleast 7 matches of 4overs each between two teams having 8 players on each side.
Since today it was festival time in Mumbai many players were occupied and did not attend the match practice.
I batted in most of the matches scoring decently but alas we lost most of the matches as the other 3 batsmen weren't so effective in scoring.
Looking forward to the next weekend match practice.
Only September is left and then from October cricketing season starts.
I still have fitness issues to resolve and that has been a worrying factor for me.In the coming season i have a bigger role to play compared to last season.
Since i joined this club last season now i have to take more responsibility and work on it.
Lets see how it progresses.....

This weekend practice was fun with no rain and sun coming in full brightness.
We had a blast playing cricket.
Also interestingly few boys have joined us and now the count has increased to a satisfactory level.
Having young guys playing is a re-invention of the club and now hopefully if they continue to practice and play cricket we will have a 2nd XI team as well.
So then we might not feel the shortage of players like last season.
We are having only one month left for practice i.e. 4 weekends only.
From OCtober the season starts and we will have less weeks to practice in the nets as the tournament and matches will start by the end of October.
My concern over my fitness still haunts me and i have started to realise that it will be diffcult this season.
With a new job profile i have more local travelling and working hazards realted to job has increased and with that stress as well.
I will try to cope with the work schedule so then atleast i can attend the net practice for 3-4 days in a week.
Playing matches will be dependent on my job schedule.
All i hope is that things will be easier for me.
ANyway some photos from the weekend practice match and i am in the front fielding(didn't knew the photo was taken).

Last we had three days of practice in a week the wedensday been a festival holiday and then the weekend.
It was also good to see the newcomers enjoying cricket.
We have atleast 5-6 new players and most of them are between 17-24 age group something our club needed for the coming season.
I will be taking care of the practice matches booking for the comingh season and are planning to play atleast 1 match per week or matches in 3 sunday's something of the same.Still it is early to comment as we need to plan accordingly.
I will discuss with my captain for the same.
The season will start from next month.Can't wait for it to start.

Thanks Scott,I am also hoping the same.

This saturday morning was raining.
We still had good practice and few photos of the same.

Added 5 minute(s) and 14 second(s) later...

Added 4 minute(s) and 41 second(s) later...

I tried to capture my bowling stride in frame by frame sequence.
I hope it is prefect.

Added 3 minute(s) and 32 second(s) later...

Virendersingh.berthwal;30202 said:
Thanks Scott,I am also hoping the same.

This saturday morning was raining.
We still had good practice and few photos of the same.

Added 5 minute(s) and 14 second(s) later...

Added 4 minute(s) and 41 second(s) later...

I tried to capture my bowling stride in frame by frame sequence.
I hope it is prefect.
I hope this works.

Thanks Scott,
I am hoping for the same.
I have tried to capture my bowling stride in frame-by-frame sequence.
Since only 5 photos are allowed in one message.
I am attaching the best ones.

Added 23 hour(s), 38 minute(s) and 50 second(s) later...

This weekend practice was fine with slight rain in between cooling us all.
Overall the bowling was not that effective with rain and wet ground making diffcult to bowl.
Batting was OK but we are giving the youngsters a chance to bat and bowl more often to let them enjoy and gain interest.
Also Captain can check their potential as well because we atleast play 4-5 matches of 6 overs each.
So it is a good overall exercise and the fun is unlimited.
While watching our batters; captain talked to me and expressed his concerns about my image.
He said that i should concentrate more on my fitness and performance and let the teaching technical stuff to other.
The more i concentrate the better i will be performing on field and the youngsters will follow me.
I knew he was right.
But i assured him that i always give moral support to players and try to stay clear of giving technical advices.I am sure this must have been told to him by someone in a sort of complain.
But i have deep regards and respect for my captain and will do as he says.He is looking something more than a player from me.
I will try to stand up to his expectations.
This coming season our club will have strenght of two teams and selection for the 1XI will be tough so every player needs to work on his game seriously.
Captain has made it clear that only the best will be in the 1XI inculding himself.
Also we are getting more college students for our team from my ex-coach.
We are hoping that the youngsters do work dedicately on their game so they can be elevated to the 1XI and we can play in the 2XI or 3XI.
I have passed my prime and playing only for the love of the game.
Just want to play cricket and sleep in peace.

Back