Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

coming back to the English side, I'd have to say that swann might still do ok in australia, although id say he'd be more sucessful in the second innings with the rough from doug and mitch's bowling aiding his spin.

the thing with swann is that he tends to get quite good flight, dip and drift, things which arent affected that much by pitch conditions. That with line and length seems to be his main weapon, so i reckon he'll be ok in australia

Never too certain about the pace attack - broad promises but seldom delivers - he wants to be a vicious rapid bowler, but he's more suited to bowling a tight line and length - like mcgrath, though obviously not as brilliant, onions is reliable without being spectacular, anderson is lethal, but only when the conditions are right.

anyone agree?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385146 said:
I was talking about bowlers eddie.
Yes and Kallis is part of South Africas 5 man attack, you saying you would actually prefer Shane Watson as the all rounder to Kallis?

On current bowling form yes that is indeed correct, Kallis hardly bowled in SA and in general Kallis is a hit the deck bowler. His best days with the ball are behind him.

Watson has all but mastered the art of reverse swing and has improved his bowling greatly over the years to go from a straight up and down bowler to open who operates on a fuller length and can generate enough movement to nip out top order batsmen.

Watson bowled very well this summer getting big wickets, he was the only bowler on both teams to reverse swing the ball consistently in Melbourne and at Hobart.

So yes, I would take Watson's bowling ability over Kallis at this point in time.

Swann will start to find it more difficult as teams realise that his England's main threat, it will be interesting to see how he copes with that.

Still, as an Australian fan, Im encouraged by the development of our attack. It is now us who has the 5 bowlers.

You can have 10 bowlers but it doesnt make any difference if they are all crap

Just a thought here, if you are both arguing about how bad each side's bowling attack is, ever thought that neither are too flash and in essence cancel each other out when playing against each other?

Just because there is so much of an argument over the bowling attacks of both countries, it seems like there are going to be some close games if nobody can come to a conclusion that one is better than the other.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385180 said:
What a insightful analysis.:rolleyes::eek::eek:
Well it had to be said seeing as you seem to think 5 bowlers is the key to winning with little reference to how poor the Aussie attack is

How attack isn't 'poor' eddie, and you know it.

If our attack is 'poor' then what does that make Englands?

An attack of Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Bollinger, Watson and Hauritz is capable of winning back the Ashes under Australian conditions esepecially when compared to an attack of Anderson, Broad, Onions and Swann.

no siddle in the side lions? i think he was hard done by this series...

i dont think there is too much between the two bowling attacks if im completley honest. Watson can reverse swing it consistently, but i didnt see it consistently from bollinger or johnson, hilfenhaus might be better at it. england on the other hand have three bowlers who are capable of reverse swing. on the other hand australia are faster and more aggressive and their batsmen arent prone to getting themselves out in stupid fasions....

in a comparisson of the spinners i think that swann does come out on top, which makes a change in the aus v eng spinner contest ...

either way, im salivating. should be really good contest

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385198 said:

An attack of Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Bollinger, Watson and Hauritz is capable of winning back the Ashes under Australian conditions esepecially when compared to an attack of Anderson, Broad, Onions and Swann.
That attack is likely to get slaughtered in Adelaide and Melbourne, possibly even Perth and you can never tell in Sydney what it will produce

For the great bowler that Hilfenhaus is supposed to be, his best record is in Tassie obviously and no Ashes test gets played there and he always gets slaughtered in Melbourne and Sydney and pretty average in Perth as well, thats 3/5 grounds

Johnson is as inconsistent as they come and Bollinger isnt that great, what was it, 1 wicket between them in the last test?

Without a decent spinner the Aussie attack is never going to be one that nations fear

The one ground they do well in is Brisbane, yet what happens if Australia bat first on a stormy day in Brisbane? You claim that the English attack only does well in helpful conditions, none more helpful than a Stormy Brisbane day

Maybe Hilfenhaus' best record is in Tassie because he plays most of his games their for Tasmania in the shield? *facepalm*

I'm very confident that another 10 months of test development in that attack will have them primed come the November 2010 at the mighty Gabba.

You can analysis different grounds all you want, fact is, overseas spinners rarely do well in Australia, therefore, you can just about rule out Graeme Swann having any significant influence on the series. Graeme Swann averaged 40 in the last ashes series with 14 wickets, 8 of those taken at the Oval.

A lot bigger and better spinners then Swann have come to these shores and been belted from pillar to post. That leaves 3 seamers, Anderson has a deplorable overseas record, while Broad and Onions are newbies not familar to Australian conditions.

If you think that attack is better then a home grown Australian attack that I mentioned above then you really need to watch a bit more cricket.

Australia can really exert some pressure on England's seamers, 5 test matchs over a 40 odd days will really push a 4 man attack to the limit on hard Australian decks.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385249 said:
Maybe Hilfenhaus' best record is in Tassie because he plays most of his games their for Tasmania in the shield? *facepalm*

I'm very confident that another 10 months of test development in that attack will have them primed come the November 2010 at the mighty Gabba.

You can analysis different grounds all you want, fact is, overseas spinners rarely do well in Australia, therefore, you can just about rule out Graeme Swann having any significant influence on the series. Graeme Swann averaged 40 in the last ashes series with 14 wickets, 8 of those taken at the Oval.

A lot bigger and better spinners then Swann have come to these shores and been belted from pillar to post. That leaves 3 seamers, Anderson has a deplorable overseas record, while Broad and Onions are newbies not familar to Australian conditions.

If you think that attack is better then a home grown Australian attack that I mentioned above then you really need to watch a bit more cricket.

Australia can really exert some pressure on England's seamers, 5 test matchs over a 40 odd days will really push a 4 man attack to the limit on hard Australian decks.
Exactly, he loves Tasmania and Australia dont play a test there :rolleyes:

He is useless when the ball aint swinging and his first class record shows it, I really dont understand his great reputation, anyone would have told you he was perfect for England and not bad for South Africa, but he wont be tearing teams apart anywhere else especially on most of the Australian grounds

Its one thing to say England are useless when it aint moving around, Australia are no better, I guess we should expect a 0-0 series result unless Brisbane or Sydney turn in a shocker as they so often do

So are you reasonably confident of winning Edward?

Did you think England will draw the series?

What is your tip?

We will have a better idea in 6 months when we see what happens with guys like North and Trott and Australia have been humiliated by Pakistan

eddiesmith;385275 said:
We will have a better idea in 6 months when we see what happens with guys like North and Trott and Australia have been humiliated by Pakistan

You don't rate Jonathon Trott?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385198 said:

However, an attack of Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Hauritz, Siddle, and at various stages Clarke, Watson couldn't win it in England. I understand that thers bound to be some one-up-manship between poms and aussies, but the truth of the matter is that neither attack is as awe inspiring as that of 05 - (McGrath/Warne vs Harmison/Flintoff/Jones)

Neither attack is guaranteed to win the ashes, to say that they will is just blind arrogance. Australia's real strength is in their batting, that much is granted, but their bowling really isnt, no matter which pitches they bowl on

Back