Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

The attack wasn't what lost us the Ashes in England, it was 2 batting collapses.

The attack, for all intensive purposes, performed to a satisfactory standard especially considering we lost 4 out of 5 coin tosses and the fact that all of our bowlers had never played a test in England.

I actually think our pace attack at full strength is a clear area of strength for Australia, especially with the emergence of Watson as a genuine 4th seamer.

Under Australian conditions I feel we have an attack to get 20 wickets, Im not sure England have that luxury with regards to their bowling as it stands from what I saw in South Africa.

eddiesmith;385041 said:
Kaneria was absolute rubbish this series and most people who watched him wonder where the hell his reputation came from

The Pakistan pace attack is better suited to T20 cricket and they dont have the ability to tear a side apart in test matches

Yes Australia will be using 5 bowlers, thats because their spinner is rubbish, a good spinner is the key to a 4 bowler attack and Australia dont have one. South Africa also used 5 bowlers due to a lack of a decent spinner

KP failed because he wasnt match fit after missing 6 months and having previously struggled for about 6 months beforehand whilst carrying the injury, scoring some easy runs against Bangladesh should get his confidence back before another easy series against Pakistan

Australia hardly played brilliantly this summer so its hard to see where all the confidence comes from, England may have stolen a drawn series against South Africa, but it was against good opposition, if Australia was playing any other nations with the exception of the Kiwis, they probably would have lost

Will be interesting to compare the 2 sides after they both play Pakistan in the same conditions because the Aussies cant play in England yet playing such shit opposition it will be Pontings only chance to have a series win on English soil

Sorry but how is a test bowling average of under 30 "rubbish"?

Nathan Hauritz | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

One has to be fair to Hauritz, he played India in his debut series back in 2004 and then has come up against New Zealand, South Africa, England, West Indies and Pakistan and averages sub 30 with the ball as well as being a dangerous lower order batsmen.

His always had ability with the bat, Hauritz debuted for the ODI team in the 2001/02 season against South Africa in South Africa, I remember him helping us tie a one day game with the bat when all looked lost in his first or second game.

So 3 minnows in just 5 series, Poor Haurie, will be interesting to see his figures when he plays more than 1 test against India or any against Sri Lanka, no suprise the only full series he played against a top nation he averaged over 50

TeeJay1860;385163 said:
coming back to the English side, I'd have to say that swann might still do ok in australia, although id say he'd be more sucessful in the second innings with the rough from doug and mitch's bowling aiding his spin.

the thing with swann is that he tends to get quite good flight, dip and drift, things which arent affected that much by pitch conditions. That with line and length seems to be his main weapon, so i reckon he'll be ok in australia

Never too certain about the pace attack - broad promises but seldom delivers - he wants to be a vicious rapid bowler, but he's more suited to bowling a tight line and length - like mcgrath, though obviously not as brilliant, onions is reliable without being spectacular, anderson is lethal, but only when the conditions are right.

anyone agree?

My thoughts.

Swann really has taken off and have really been impresssed with his ability. Finger spinning is the hardest bowling type to bowl successfully and at the beginning of his career I thought he was the next Dawson. But has great variation like you pointed out and trumps Hauritz by the length of the flemington straight. You will be coming here with the best spinner in the world IMO and Hauritz will be given a lesson on how to spin

And Broad. You couldn't of put it better. He has the ability and the pace to be a solid cricketer but in the end he delevers stuff all and seems more interested in how he looks when out there. Needs a kick up the ass or get rid of him.

D.K;385374 said:
My thoughts.

Swann really has taken off and have really been impresssed with his ability. Finger spinning is the hardest bowling type to bowl successfully and at the beginning of his career I thought he was the next Dawson. But has great variation like you pointed out and trumps Hauritz by the length of the flemington straight. You will be coming here with the best spinner in the world IMO and Hauritz will be given a lesson on how to spin

And Broad. You couldn't of put it better. He has the ability and the pace to be a solid cricketer but in the end he delevers stuff all and seems more interested in how he looks when out there. Needs a kick up the ass or get rid of him.

Swann the best spinner in the world?

Finger spinnering hardest bowling type?

Your not serious are you, wrist spinning is bar far the hardest bowling type to be succesful at rather then conventional finger spinning.

You honestly think Swann is a better spinner then Kaneria, Mishra, Singh even Vettori?

Swann averaged 40 with the ball against us in England, we have nothing to fear from him. A lot more spinners bigger and badder then Swann have come to Australia and been hammered from Brisbane to Perth. Swann is the type of guy you can go after, I watched him closey in that 4th test against SA when they finally realised his was England's best bowler and decided to attack him. He got frustated, lost his length and Strauss had to fall back on his 3 seamers who are less effective.

Swann is ENgland's best bowler, I agree there, but his no magican.

Swann will struggle in Australia, his also the type of bloke you can stir up a bit, he likes to swagger around and I think Australia can target that.

But the 4 bowlers is the main weakness, attack Swann and force Strauss to overbowl his 3 seamers who are less effective with regards to taking wickets. Do this with the knowledge that there are 5 test matchs in 6 weeks and that the 3 seamers aren't likely to last the distance.

It's the oldest tactic in the book, and it's what will win the Ashes back for Australia.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385487 said:
You honestly think Swann is a better spinner then Kaneria, Mishra, Singh even Vettori?

On 2009 and 2010 form I'd have him on par with Singh and better than the other three.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385487 said:
Swann the best spinner in the world?

Finger spinnering hardest bowling type?

Your not serious are you, wrist spinning is bar far the hardest bowling type to be succesful at rather then conventional finger spinning.

Leg spin is the hardest to learn and execute - most profesions still have the odd boundary ball every over.

But finger spin requires a lot more passions and subtle changes to eek out wicket. you'll see lots more wickets taken by leggies than offies id say, and thats testament to the difficulty in mastering that type of bowling

TeeJay1860;385533 said:
Leg spin is the hardest to learn and execute - most profesions still have the odd boundary ball every over.

But finger spin requires a lot more passions and subtle changes to eek out wicket. you'll see lots more wickets taken by leggies than offies id say, and thats testament to the difficulty in mastering that type of bowling

I get what you are saying there, leg spin is the hardest to learn and execute because if you are able to do it, you are a freak. But for that same reason if you can do it, it is much easier to get wickets with because it is simply so hard to play.

But off spin, due to it's nature, isn't as dangerous. So for an off spinner to take wickets, it requires a lot more patience and some very subtle changes and variations. Being easier to read and play makes it harder for the bowler to totally mystify a batsman.

If you put an equally skilled off spinner up against a leg spinner, the leggie would get more wickets. Therefore if an off spinner get's a lot of wickets, they are bloody good.

I don't think spin is England's problem, I think it's their seam attack.

Anderson, Broad and Onions is the area Australia can exploit under our conditions, I have no doubt about that.

Instead of wondering if the bowling is going to stand up, I think Australia is more likely to be batted out of the game than bowled out. I think the batting line up of Australia's can handle and English pace attack when bowled in Australia, but can the Aussie bowling stack up against English batting?

I haven't followed England that much of late, so who are the batting powerhouses and do you think they would be able to withstand any bowlers from Hauritz, Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, McKay, or back to the old pace attack of Lee and Clark. Steve Smith could possibly make an appearance, so chuck him into the list as well. Does the English batting have what it takes to stand up to these guys under Australian conditions? I think there are going to be some big Australian scores, so this IMO is England's hope.

Yeah I am not sure if England could handle the 35 year old slow Clark or old man Lee who struggles when asked to bowl more than 4 overs :D

eddiesmith;385651 said:
Yeah I am not sure if England could handle the 35 year old slow Clark or old man Lee who struggles when asked to bowl more than 4 overs :D

I'm being serious here, of all the bowlers in Australia, they are in the second XI, which means that while England are here they have a possibility of playing them come injury or bad form. And besides Lee is 32, not as if that is old for a fast bowler, they say 33 is their prime anyway, plus Clark is bowling just as fast as he ever was, which is the same as that of Siddle and Bollinger, so those two points are factually incorrect, but I get what you are aiming at.

How about I rephrase it as all Australian bowlers they are likely to face while on tour. Are they going to be able to post good enough scores?

Actually the last time Clark was seen bowling he was about 125km/hr and in another year I cant see him getting faster

Lee may be 33 but with his injuries his body is probably effectively older and struggled to get through more than 4 overs

I think England can post the scores required against whoever Australia put up

I have something to say as usual about those two bowlers, but this is an England thread, can't let every thread become Australian dominated.

Perhaps need an English devotee to comment on the domestic prospects and everyone who is coming along on tour.

Look Boris, Australia have a great record at home - even now more then 3 years after we lost McGrath and Warne we have won most of our fixtures played in Australia. Even when South Africa beat us at home last in the 2008/09 season, those two wins at Perth and the MCG were two of the greatest South African wins of all time, there is no doubt about that. People forget how close those two games were, and really, we should have won at least one of those but Brett Lee went down on the 3rd morning of the game and that was that.

England definitely find it hard touring here, for various reasons, there is still an aura for visiting English teams to overcome when they come to Australia.

You realise as much when you read English papers online, before the recent SA tour an English journo was comparing the difference between a South Africa tour and an Australian tour and commented that when England goes to Australia they cop it from everywhere, the crowd, the media, at after dinner functions, the airport staff. You name it.

Our bowling attack at full-strength is capable of taking 20 wickets, I don't think England with their current configuration can. To be honest, I reckon Pakistan have a better attack then England at the moment.

England were hammered by SA who apart from Steyn had a relatively ordinary attack.

I think we are more then capable of taking it up to England in Australia, where we still hold a massive advantage over touring teams.

Back