World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

Ljp86

Staff member
World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

Well, after seven weeks of cricket, we have reached the match that everyone has been waiting for. Australia take on Sri Lanka in what promises to be an absolute cracking game. Australia have been on fire throughout the tournament and Sri Lanka have played some very good cricket also and it all boils down to this final game.

Sri Lanka will be bringing back their big guns, Muraliatharan and Vaas in the hope they'll be able to stop the Australian batsmen from getting out of control. We know now that Dilhara Fernando has been dropped and either Farveez Maharoof or Nuwan Kulasekara will come in for him. It will definitely be a pace bowler, I'm tipping Maharoof. The Aussies should go into the match unchanged after a truly lethal performance in the semi-final against South Africa. They destroyed the South African top order and knocked off the runs with ease.

Sri Lanka too go into the game with good form, they lost to Australia in the Super Eight stage of the tournament but they have played very good cricket outside of that game including an 81-run thrashing of New Zealand in the first semi-final. Sri Lanka will be hoping that Vaas and Muraliatharan carry their excellent bowling form throughout the tournament into this game. If they are to win the match, they will need to take wickets and keep the runs down.

But, we must not forget one Australian man, Glenn McGrath. McGrath is playing in his final international game and has been an outstanding servant to Australian cricket for his entire career. He has retired from tests and this will be his final One-Day International game and also his 250th in total. McGrath too has been bowling beautifully and it is hard to think that this is his final match despite playing so well of late. Australia will be dead keen to send him out on top, with another World Cup title. Can McGrath play another blinder in his farewell game?

All will be revealed tomorrow, today or Sunday wherever you live in the world. This promises to be an absolute belter of a match, let's hope that it lives up to expectation and showcases a World Cup Final to remember!!

Australian XI (probable): Adam Gilchrist+, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting*, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Michael Hussey, Shane Watson, Brad Hogg, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait, Glenn McGrath

Sri Lankan XI (probable): Sanath Jayasuriya, Upul Tharanga, Kumar Sangakkara+, Mehela Jayawardene*, Chamara Silva, Tillekaratne Dilshan, Russel Arnold, Chaminda Vaas, Lasith Malinga, Muttiah Muralitharan, Farveez Maharoof

Game starts at 9:30pm AWST (9:30am local time, 1:30pm GMT).

Re: World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

Looking like a cracker of a match! Both sides have big bats and bigtime bowlers, and will truly want the win. Any idea of what the pitch is looking like? I would say if it is a batting pitch, it's a toss-up. If it's a bowler's deck, though, Australia's deeper batting order will give them the edge. But, then they'd have to deal with Murali going sideways.

Unfortunately I'll be missing a large part of it to watch the TFC (WOOHOOO!!!) play their first home game ever. But I'll be refreshing the scores on my mobile all day!

Lasith Malinga will be the X-factor for Sri Lanka. Australia has never played against him in an ODI before. He generally is much more effective at the death, where he can get reverse-swing, than with the new ball, where his fullish length can be easy pickings if the ball isn't swinging, but at his best Malinga is virtually unplayable. That was the case during his opening spell against New Zealand, and he was very unfortunate to only get the one wicket.

I doubt too many people would argue that the 2 best teams are playing in the final. This tournament may have had it's share of problems, but at least the right 2 teams are meeting in the final.

Australia vs Sri Lanka WC Final 2007

Cant wait until the start of the world cup final 2007.Australia should win but Sri Lanka will challenge them.With Malinga and Muralitheran in the bowling attack and sangakkarra and jawardyne and co in the batting line up sri lanka are a very good team on paper.But I reckon Australia will win by 40 runs and my man of the match will be Matty Hayden:)

I think in this game, a good captain, a good leader, a tactical thinker will make a difference. The decisions they make will play a huge factor. It sounds like a no-brainer, but a lot of times those things a cast aside as an afterthought.

Apparently it's raining at the moment.

If anyone has the Cricinfo commentary on at the moment, check out some of the hilarity of it all...

8.30am Good morning and welcome to our coverage of the ninth World Cup final. Teams, toss and all that stuff to follow shortly. We have all our commentary team in action today, so it will be a mix of me, Martin Williamson, Sriram Veera, Will Luke, George Binnoy, Jenny Thompson and Siddhartha Vaidyanathan. If this was a group stage match we would outnumber the crowd

8.55am "Stopped raining, but the clouds are still lurking," chirps Miller, happy for about three seconds ... then he says: "Actually, it's just started raining again. That's it, I quit." Another victim of the ICC's never-ending tournament ... Now, not wishing to add to the gloom, but at the other Oval, the one in Kennington, it's hovering around 80 degrees and Shane Warne is bowling in quite glorious sunshine

9.07am Andrew Miller: "It's streaking in from the South East, apparently. A big fat lurking cloud that really doesn't like the ICC ... Ok, now this is properly damp now ... like utterly minging."

9.10am "Ooh, now it's lovely bright sunshine again. This weather is as schizophrenic as my first girlfriend," says the always sensitive Miller. But, in fairness, she was a bit strange. The groundstaff are stirring ...

9.15am Most of the hundreds of you emailing appear to be either at work, in an office, or at home. Not Mike Rasmussen though. "Aussie working on a cruise ship, no TV coverage so watching the internet in anticipation. Go Aussies..." Cue poor pun about Australia cruising to victory.

Cricinfo commentary...it's what has made some of this world cup seem bearable. :D

Still raining.
This match was supposed to start 2 hours ago.

Somebody just shoot me now!! I came into the office to finish up some things before my trip tomorrow. I will have limited access as I am traveling most of the day. I can't stay here much longer cause I need to pack and wanted to spend some time with Mrs. DJQ and the rugrats before I left. Aw Crap!!

Play will start in about 10 minutes

38 overs per side, Australia batting first

They're playing!

I'm glad I didn't miss too much of this. the score:
Australis 4/0 after 2.3 overs.

46-0 after 10 overs

A good economical start from the Sri Lankan bowlers, considering this is a 38-over match, but no wickets have fallen. I'd say this is pretty even so far.

a couple of fours and a six brought the total to 61/0 after 10.5 overs
Gilchrist on 46

76-0 after 14, and Gilchrist already has his half century

This match is going to swing Australia's way if the partnership isn't broken soon.

82/0 after 14.4 overs

I thinks it time for a wicket here. Gilchrist on 60

Dishan is giving up too many runs!

98/0 after 16
Gilchrist is heading for a century he's now on 68. Somebody's got to stop him :D

Murali is trying to keep it tight at least.

Back