World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

Re: World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

pidgeon fan;156521 said:
Thems the rules mate, Thems the rules.
We might all be frustrated and angry about how the umpires handled the situation but that's what the rules say in their book.

and there ******** rules also taking a run of australia ponting got 2 warnings poor pup comes out hits a single and gets done for running on the pitch the umpires really have no idea with all your weight going forward he had no where else to go did he ?

pidgeon fan;156521 said:
Thems the rules mate, Thems the rules.
We might all be frustrated and angry about how the umpires handled the situation but that's what the rules say in their book.

World Cup referee Crowe admits error
Sunday Apr 29 11:06 AEST
World Cup match referee Jeff Crowe admitted on Saturday that Sri Lanka had been mistakenly asked to come back on the field for a final three overs in the rain-reduced World Cup final against Australia.

Australia were celebrating their third consecutive World Cup victory after the Sri Lanka batsman had gone off for bad light when the teams were told they would have to complete the final three overs or come back on Sunday to finish the match.

The game was already completed because Sri Lanka had batted the minimum 20 of their reduced allotted of 36 overs.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting and his Sri Lanka counterpart Mahela Jayawardene agreed that the Australian spinners, instead of fast bowlers, would bowl the final overs because of the bad light.

Crowe told a news conference the umpiring team of himself, on-field referees Steve Bucknor and Aleem Dar and the third and fourth umpires Rudi Koertzen and Billy Bowden would take collective responsibility.

"It's a human error," he said. "It was a mistake."

Jayawardene said he realised the match was over when his batsmen were offered the option of going off for bad light

will_85;156538 said:
World Cup referee Crowe admits error
Sunday Apr 29 11:06 AEST
World Cup match referee Jeff Crowe admitted on Saturday that Sri Lanka had been mistakenly asked to come back on the field for a final three overs in the rain-reduced World Cup final against Australia.

Australia were celebrating their third consecutive World Cup victory after the Sri Lanka batsman had gone off for bad light when the teams were told they would have to complete the final three overs or come back on Sunday to finish the match.

The game was already completed because Sri Lanka had batted the minimum 20 of their reduced allotted of 36 overs.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting and his Sri Lanka counterpart Mahela Jayawardene agreed that the Australian spinners, instead of fast bowlers, would bowl the final overs because of the bad light.

Crowe told a news conference the umpiring team of himself, on-field referees Steve Bucknor and Aleem Dar and the third and fourth umpires Rudi Koertzen and Billy Bowden would take collective responsibility.

"It's a human error," he said. "It was a mistake."

Jayawardene said he realised the match was over when his batsmen were offered the option of going off for bad light
Don't believe everything you read in the papers, Will.
That article is very biased towards the way we feel and not at all with the way how the umpires were instructed. They were instructed to do it that way. It is also in their rulebook.

will_85;156534 said:
and there ******** rules also taking a run of australia ponting got 2 warnings poor pup comes out hits a single and gets done for running on the pitch the umpires really have no idea with all your weight going forward he had no where else to go did he ?
That is in their rulebook.
Don't get angry with me over this.
You really need to calm down.

A farcical ending, but that's only appropriate for this tournament. At least the best team won. Too bad none of their matches were terribly interesting. Great final from Gilchrist!

But how in the bloody hell could the umpires not have noticed that 20 overs were bowled?!?!? In this article, Jayawardene even said that he tried to explain to the umpires that the match should be over and his team should have lost, but they didn't listen to him!!!

It just boggles my mind that a team of 4 officials couldn't figure out that 20 overs constitutes a match, and there was no need to come back and play the final 3 overs tomorrow. Someone needs to get fired for this. Perhaps 4 someones.

But yeah, total credit to the Australians. They were far and away the best team. After their shaky performances against England and New Zealand in January and February, I thought they might be vulnerable, but it wasn't even close.

pidgeon fan;156542 said:

since when did i get angry with u im not angry just the umpires stuffed up and they know it

that is not in there rule book once a innings has reached 20 overs the duck worth lewis method comes in to play so australia had won and didnt have to come back the next day

pidgeon fan;156541 said:
That article is very biased towards the way we feel and not at all with the way how the umpires were instructed. They were instructed to do it that way. It is also in their rulebook.

pidgeon fan;156541 said:

The umpires got it wrong. Match referee Jeff Crowe has also admitted that he made an error.

Under the rules of ODI cricket, once the team batting second has faced 20 overs, the match is able to be awarded to either side using the Duckworth/Lewis method. On this occasion, the game should have been awarded after 33 overs had been completed which was the point where both teams left the field.

the mistake was made in the fact that they had gone off for light, rather than rain. Light is the silliest rule in the book, because 95% of the time you can keep playing (obviously not quite so much this time around). Rain would have been easy: Catch ya later folks, congrats Australia. Going off for light means you can come back on later.

gah!

what a catastrophe. They should have just played it over two days. Damn television networks.

pidgeon fan;156541 said:

No, it's not at all in their rulebook. In fact, the rules quite clearly state, and Speed, Crowe etc have said as much, that 20 overs, when weather and conditions apply, constitutes a full match.
They got it wrong. Speed admits it was wrong and the 20 over rule should of applied. Crowe admits he was wrong. It has nothing to do with what's in the papers. Crowe said this live on camera.

Crowe apologies:
Crowe blames himself

World Cup match referee Jeff Crowe has taken responsibility for the 'human error' and confusion which meant the final was won 'twice' by Australia and ended in farcical scenes at Kensington Oval.

Australia celebrated its victory, and a record third successive Cup crown, only to be told by umpires Steve Bucknor and Aleem Dar that it had to head back on the field to bowl three more overs in near darkness against a Sri Lanka team which had accepted there was no longer any way it could win.

That was done, with captains Ricky Ponting and Mahela Jayawardene agreeing to bowl only slow bowlers and pat back the ball, before Australia was declared winners all over again - by 53 runs on the Duckworth-Lewis method.

The teams agreed to start playing again only after the umpires had told them, in error, that if they did not they would have to come back on the reserve day to complete a match already reduced to 38-overs-per-side because of rain.

"In all hindsight, I should have known the rules and said the game had been called off," he acknowledged.

Crowe was later informed television audiences around the world were told by broadcasters that Australia had won the Cup - yet minutes later witnessed both teams going back out to play again.

"The scoreboard had put it up, and I guess the problem was we hadn't had contact with them; they just assumed too that was the result - and put it up," explained the referee.

"For me the real confusion has come from the fact we were talking about resuming the game tomorrow - which was technically and very wrong."

That's a small part of the article. More here:
http://www.sportal.com.au/cricket.asp?i=news&id=97952

Speed apologies:
Speed sorry for farce

International cricket chief Malcolm Speed has insisted the ICC will not 'overreact' to the umpiring errors which resulted in an absurd ending to the World Cup final.

Millions of viewers around the world watched in confusion as the Australians celebrated in the gloom thinking they had won the World Cup for the third time in succession, only to be called back out in near darkness to play a further three overs.

The confusion followed a total mis-interpretation of the playing conditions from match referee Jeff Crowe, on-field umpires Aleem Dar and Steve Bucknor and reserve umpires Rudi Koertzen and Billy Bowden - none of whom realised that it took only 20 overs a side to constitute a full match when weather intervenes
More here:
http://www.sportal.com.au/cricket.asp?i=news&id=97960

A match ref, and three supposed 'world class' umpires,, yet none of them knew the rules?? They should be quite obvious.

You and many others are making a fuss over this, whilst most of us have moved on.
It's not the end of the world guys. So stop carrying on as though as it is. :rolleyes:
GET OVER IT

will_85;156555 said:
since when did i get angry with u im not angry just the umpires stuffed up and they know it

that is not in there rule book once a innings has reached 20 overs the duck worth lewis method comes in to play so australia had won and didnt have to come back the next day

In all your PM's you swore at me. BJ has been notified and you will probably get warned for swearing. Mod's aren't meant to swear at people.

yes i swore but it was not directed at you in any way

will_85;156766 said:
yes i swore but it was not directed at you in any way

Stop carrying on like a little baby. I know that you are pissed off at what had happened. However, the aussies won the match, yet you guys are going off your heads as though we had lost the match.
Wake up to yourselves. The aussies won the match go and celebrate the win.

Memorable for all the wrong reasons... The darkness at the end made it all seem strangely surreal.

Still the Aussies won so I am happy @|

"Still the Aussies won so I am happy"

Yeah, and Dimebag W "won" the 2000 election. Can you say: BOGUS

Can you say "Sour Grapes"

timmyj51;158245 said:
"Still the Aussies won so I am happy"

Yeah, and Dimebag W "won" the 2000 election. Can you say: BOGUS

:confused: No-one even looked like beating us?

How is that bogus?

Back