World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

Re: World Cup Grand Final - Australia vs Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

112-0 after 17

the runs are starting to come faster now, and Gilchrist is already closing in on a century

126/0 after 18.1
Gilchrist on 89, he's closing in on that ton

marlyminks;156451 said:
98/0 after 16
Gilchrist is heading for a century he's now on 68. Somebody's got to stop him :D

OhOh. We know what happens when you or I post a comment like that while the game is in progress!!!

135-0 after 19, and they're taking a drinks break at the halfway point

Gilchrist is up to an absolutely massive 95 so far!

With 135 at halfway, you have to think 250 is almost guaranteed, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see them close in on 300 at this rate. Which would be pretty impressive for a 38-over match.

Diamond Joe Quimby;156458 said:

OhOh. We know what happens when you or I post a comment like that while the game is in progress!!!

LOL, something tells me it's not going to work this time.

I'm going out for about an hour, hopefully when i check back, the Australians will be all out for less than 250 runs :)

Guys, I hate to say this, but I gotta go. Wish I could follow it with you guys, but like they say, club or country. I go away on business tomorrow and won't have access till Monday. Like I said, I want to spend some time with Mrs. DJQ and the kids before I split. Enjoy it!!

Hayden out for 38
172-1

Gilchrist up to 119 so far.
There's only 15.1 overs to go. With 9 wickets in hand, I expect the runs to keep flowing.

203-1 after 28

10 overs to go here, can Australia score 97 more runs?

224-2

Gilchrist goes for a big hit and is out at 149!

281-4 after 38

that's going to be a big target for Sri Lanka to chase

Checking back in. what a massive score for the Australians in just 38 overs. Can Sri Lanka reach the total? we'll see. Some superb batting on the part of Gilchrist though, 149 runs wow!!

after 5.5 overs Sri Lanka is on 30/1. A good start, but they can't afford to lose too many wickets early.

Sri Lanka on 110/1 after 18 overs.
Jayasuriya on 52, Sangakara on 45

Sri Lanka would need to score more quickly the RRR is 8.82

Interesting to find everyone bar the Aussies wanted Sri Lanka to win. Oh well, the victories are always much sweeter when you know everyone is urging you to lose.

Anyway, great win by Australia. Three in a row and two in a row completely undefeated. Sri Lanka were never really in the contest to any great degree and a great send off for Glenn McGrath, who also managed to snare the most wickets in the tournament.

563 test wickets @21
381 ODI wickets @22

Doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for the memories, Pidge.

what a joke that was worst world cup ever ! badly orginised and so on

saying they had to come back tomorrow to finish if they went of for bad light lmfao

will_85;156496 said:
what a joke that was worst world cup ever ! badly orginised and so on

saying they had to come back tomorrow to finish if they went of for bad light lmfao

Thems the rules mate, Thems the rules.
We might all be frustrated and angry about how the umpires handled the situation but that's what the rules say in their book.

pidgeon fan;156521 said:
Thems the rules mate, Thems the rules.
We might all be frustrated and angry about how the umpires handled the situation but that's what the rules say in their book.

Really? I didn't read most of the commentary, but I heard that the match would not extend into a second day if each team was able to complete at least 20 overs.

Managed to watch most of the Australian innings last night at a mate's place but went to bed because it was so late (the game didn't start till 12am here).

All I can say is that Adam Gilchrist is an absolute superstar. What an innings he played, it was memorable to watch (even more memorbale since my mates were doing shots of tequila for each six hit) and he has definitely backed up his decision to keep playing, especially if he can play like that. It was an awesome innings and the MOTM award was deservedly his.

But Australia have proved once again why they are the best team in the world. They slaughtered the Sri Lankan bowling attack which starred Vaas, Malinga and Muralitharan but they could do nothing to stem the onslaught from Gilchrist. And then they managed to bowl good enough to snuff out any sort of hope Sri Lanka had of winning the game.

Jayasuriya and Sangakkara batted well but once they were gone there was little hope of Sri Lanka winning the game, the Required Run Rate spiralled out of control as the game went on.

What an great game and what a magnificent effort from Australia. I am so proud of them and we are the World Cup Champions for the 3rd time in a row!!!!!!!

Go Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @|

Back