Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

Ive had a few sessions since the first few after my lesson where I have struggled to replicate the big turn I was getting. Today at the nets I tried something different which had some unexpected and pleasing results and got me turning it a long way again like last week. Basically I concentrated on my wrist position and getting my hand just before release in a position where my fingers would be pointing horizontally or parallel to the ground. This worked with all deliveries, the leg break, toppie and even the wrong un which I have really started to get the knack of lately.

Ive had a few sessions since the first few after my lesson where I have struggled to replicate the big turn I was getting. Today at the nets I tried something different which had some unexpected and pleasing results and got me turning it a long way again like last week. Basically I concentrated on my wrist position and getting my hand just before release in a position where my fingers would be pointing horizontally or parallel to the ground. This worked with all deliveries, the leg break, toppie and even the wrong un which I have really started to get the knack of lately.

I wonder if that concept helps next time you try it ? Let us know if it works again like that chippyben.

I need diagrams for this - I haven't got a clue what you mean.

As usual its hard to explain in words but I'll try my best. This is for the legbreak using Philpotts Exercise 2 wrist action.
Hold the ball seam up above the head as though about to bowl a medium pacer. The fingers are pointing straight up to the sky.
Now with the same grip drop the arm down 90degrees to a complete round arm. The fingers are pointing out horizontally or parallel with the ground.
Now without moving the wrist at all manipulate the ball with the fingers to a leg break grip. The line of the fingers is still in a horizontal plane. Hope your still with me!!
Now raise the arm back up to bowl to normal bowling height but keeping the wrist pointing in the same direction. I reach a point about 45 degrees up where the wrist cant flex any further so the plane of the fingers rise up too but the point is to keep the fingers as close to horizontal as possible and the more round arm the easier it is.
Having said all this I need to have a few more sessions to make sure it is still working for me and it may not work for others as we are all different. Im just putting the idea out there. I had never thought of it before and it really produed results so it might help others.

I've just been outside in the cold having a bit of a bowl and things are looking promising with the flick action. Last season in both the nets and in games I more or less stuck with the rolling rather than flicking 95% of the time and worked on the flicking when I practiced with differing degrees of success in the paddock. Towards the end of the season as you may recall I think I'd made some dramatic changes by working with the walk-in drill (See previous link in blue as well) and the combination of the exclusion of my old skip technique with the adoption of the flick was looking very promising. So today just having a muck about I was able to bowl almost 90% good balls giving the ball a good flick. The one or two Wrong Uns came out well too, so all I've got to do now is have the guts to bowl with a good flick in the nets against batsmen and maybe accept that it might go wrong but persevere with it. I really need to focus on bowling with the flick at the start of the season so that I go into the new season bowling in the new manner. One good aspect is I'm kind of inclined to throw the ball up high and loopier as a technique and mix up the bowling generally with some of the basics,as the last couple of sessions this was looking as though it was working well and having read some interesting articles elsewhere has given me some ideas.

So this Monday I'll be going to the last session with the blokes at Grays before changing teams and joining my sons at Basildon and Pitsea for this and the coming seasons I hope.

Hey taking a break seems to have worked :0. hello again everyone! Happy new year and all that ^^. have any of you seen Stuart macgill? the way he continuosuly pushes is bowling arm to his chest? well I tried that it gave me a nice qucker slightly flatter one on a slighty shorter ;length but skidding through but still missing mometum. Seen Munaf patel? how he ambles to the crease to bwol? kind of jogging before coming to the crease and putting his bowling arm to his chest? so i added that as well. So now i bowl leg-breaks out of the front of the hand at near medium pace(70-75 kms/hr) off a 7-8 step run-up with (almost)perfect accuracy! My bowling arm comes through with almost 12 o'clock position now and I can sharply tur the occasional one by getting more around the side of the ball. At near-medium pace actually....the batsman has a lot less time to react,whereas if you're bowling slower evry ball has to be something special to get a wicket but woith this approach you can mix leg-breaks,cutters,genuine medoum-pacers.....I don't think there's any genuinely good leg-spinner who operated like this except maybe somebody my dad told me about,something like chandrasekhar or something?

Hey taking a break seems to have worked :0. hello again everyone! Happy new year and all that ^^. have any of you seen Stuart macgill? the way he continuosuly pushes is bowling arm to his chest? well I tried that it gave me a nice qucker slightly flatter one on a slighty shorter ;length but skidding through but still missing mometum. Seen Munaf patel? how he ambles to the crease to bwol? kind of jogging before coming to the crease and putting his bowling arm to his chest? so i added that as well. So now i bowl leg-breaks out of the front of the hand at near medium pace(70-75 kms/hr) off a 7-8 step run-up with (almost)perfect accuracy! My bowling arm comes through with almost 12 o'clock position now and I can sharply tur the occasional one by getting more around the side of the ball. At near-medium pace actually....the batsman has a lot less time to react,whereas if you're bowling slower evry ball has to be something special to get a wicket but woith this approach you can mix leg-breaks,cutters,genuine medoum-pacers.....I don't think there's any genuinely good leg-spinner who operated like this except maybe somebody my dad told me about,something like chandrasekhar or something?

SF Barnes arguably the best bowler ever(according to boycott
eek.png
), bowled offspinners/offcutters, legbreaks/cutters, and topspinners at brisk medium pace. I have his book and I think even chippy ben has. He has his grips in them. Must post them one day. But he was tall, and very accurate. I would think O'Reilly and Chandrasekar would be considered closest, but apparently Chandrasekhar had the bowling arm wittled by polio, and it was a mystery even to him what ball would come out

Sounds like you're varying your delivery which is always going to work, especially if you turn up looking like you're going to bowl orthodox club leg spin and then you come out with an array of deliveries like that, it's bound to cause problem.

Had my last net tonight with Grays who have seen me through the last 4 years. I might get back there in the summer if they need a bloke to make a team up if I've got nothing going on and if nets next year doesn't coincide with my new teams and I'm still able to bowl/stand up etc I might do 2 nets a week. But from next week I'm at my new team Basildon & Pitsea, so that'll be interesting to see how I get on there. Last net at Grays was pretty good even though I was just rolling rather than flicking. I'm getting better at this identifying where the weak points are in the batsmans technique lark and took loads of wickets theoretically. Most of them tonight were playing with a straight bat as I was pitching the ball on Middle - middle and leg with some accuracy in between offering one or two up on and outside the off-stump, allowing them to step back watch the ball in and hit it through the off-side, then I was pitching fuller ball on the other line and they were looking to play it straight and that's where they were coming unstuck which was interesting. Wrong uns were working really well with only a little turn in those situations. So overall a very good net session.

Hello all, it has been far too long since I last updated my progress here.

Then have improved quite a bit since I last posted here. A proper wrist flick has slowly but surely melded into the quicker arm action I've had since I fixed up my stride length. My major problems are now constancy and power through the crease. With the faster action, there is no only a very small widow for completing the realise and pivot, meaning that, a lot of the time, I am losing stored power or spraying it to the off or leg-side due to a mistime on the pivot.

Hello all, it has been far too long since I last updated my progress here.

Then have improved quite a bit since I last posted here. A proper wrist flick has slowly but surely melded into the quicker arm action I've had since I fixed up my stride length. My major problems are now constancy and power through the crease. With the faster action, there is no only a very small widow for completing the realise and pivot, meaning that, a lot of the time, I am losing stored power or spraying it to the off or leg-side due to a mistime on the pivot.

Have you had a look at the Beau Casson video on you-tube and tried those drills? I think they may help both aspects, if you get the power through the crease part right it might be the case that the accuracy will be improved.

We had a double wicket competition at our club for Australia day. After getting through the first round I decided to bowl leggies in the second match. We batted first and we both got out for a total of 8 so we had nothing to defend. My bowling was pretty ordinary though, struggling to land it. I really need to start developing a consistant action to get confidence when bowling and just running in thinking about where I want to bowl it, not thinking about lots of different things with my action. Needless to say we lost that match after just one over.
It was a great day though, lots of fun and big hitting and good for wives and girlfriends and family to watch and have a bbq. It was very surreal for half the afternoon as although it was very hot 35degrees there was a sea fog and eerie clouds of mist sweeping across the field like it was yorkshire in winter.

Ha well there is a young chap who wants to become a 'keeper so maybe now is the time, I can be a leg spin legend before I hit 40!

Go for it - aim to become the holder of the club record, and what with your appreciation of the art, you'd be in a good position to work with the new keeper on two levels. You'd be your local version of Healy and Warne.

hi everyone,
while bowling a leg break im not able to use a lot of my third finger, instead im using more of my middle finger to turn the ball as a result im not getting much turn. Does someone have the same problem? What should i do to correct it?
Thanks.

This one isn't really wrist spin, but thought i'd share - last season I talked about this one left arm spinner in an opposition club who was unbelievably good - he made it to the US national team and is getting wickets in the international stage too - http://www.espncricinfo.com/wcldiv3/content/player/39240.html

Other than the normal top spinner, and an arm ball, he also bowled a backspinner - something like jim's offspinning flipper that shoots through. He's only bowled this one once in the three matches we played and I was the recipient :D. But, he had an aura about him - two seasons earlier we had them all out for 96 - and we were going steady at 48/1 when this guy comes in rips apart middle and lower middle order 6/16 and we're bowled out for 77. Hope to play against him once again this season

hi everyone,
while bowling a leg break im not able to use a lot of my third finger, instead im using more of my middle finger to turn the ball as a result im not getting much turn. Does someone have the same problem? What should i do to correct it?
Thanks.

Have you come over from Facebook Shawmit? If so, good to see you on here and I'm sure that I wont be the only one that answers your question. The first question is why the finger issue - is it a lack of practice, or have you got small hands or maybe you're holding the ball in an awkward manner?

Back