Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Scott Borthwick is playing for Durham against Essex in their Pro40 match today, its on Sky Sports 3 at the moment. ive got it recording, il have a look back at his overs later. Kaneria already bowled for Essex and he was poor, very expensive and inconsistent. considering that of the all time highest wicket takers, he is currently 6th or 7th out of players that are still playing international cricket, youd expect him to be doing rather better in county matches!

Jim2109;363871 said:
Scott Borthwick is playing for Durham against Essex in their Pro40 match today, its on Sky Sports 3 at the moment. ive got it recording, il have a look back at his overs later. Kaneria already bowled for Essex and he was poor, very expensive and inconsistent. considering that of the all time highest wicket takers, he is currently 6th or 7th out of players that are still playing international cricket, youd expect him to be doing rather better in county matches!

oh dear, he had a shocker!!

Essex needed 33 to win from 24 balls, up steps Borthwick for his 5th over with figures of 4-0-28-0, bowling against James Foster.

the first 5 balls went for 6. the 6th ball was a wide down the legside and went for 4 and Essex won the game lol. his final figures were 4.5-0-63-0

in fairness the 5 balls that went for 6 werent bad. first one was well bowled and just good batting. second one was good again and almost got caught on the boundary. both were swept for 6. 3rd ball was short and again was almost caught on the boundary, 4th and 5th were decent balls and well hit as well. the only issue is that Borthwick didnt bowl any bad ones, but he didnt learn. every ball was near enough the same and he just made it easy for the batsman to come down the pitch at him. hes only young though so the experience is something that will come with time.

he seems to lack any substantial revolutions spinning between his hands, but he pitches it well up and flights it high. the fullness of his deliveries makes it quite easy for batsmen to smash him in the one day format though. but i guess thats the fine line between getting hit for 6 and taking a wicket, and he was bowling against Alistair Cook and James Foster, both England players. Foster should have played for England yesterday judging by his performance today, he could have played instead of the ever-useless Ravi Bopara! who despite hitting 49, scored it slower than Michael Atherton would have!

Here we go - the first of many that'll be linked to my new blogs which are still under construction. Have a look at this and see if there's any gaping great mistakes in it. This one is the 'Common or Garden' Flipper - the bog standard technique.

YouTube - Flipper Variation Bog Standard

Having looked at it again I know I can improve it, for one I'm looking away from the camera much of the time when I'm talking and my hand goes out of shot, but when you've got a 10 year old camera man and an 8 year director these things can happen!

nice video Dave, i'll chuck a few vids of me bowling up on youtube and you can tell me what you reckon. thats exactly how i bowl my flipper. i've decided to keep it in my locker for at least 2 more seasons though. i've just learnt this season to bowl my wrong 'un to a level which is match worthy and its proving really effective. i just love the bamboozled look on the batsmans face after he jumps backwards and just about manages to bat it away from his stumps. always brings a smile to my face. i played against a touring side yesterday for a friends team and got chucked the ball on my friends recommendation to the captain. i was surprised as i didn't really know anyone and never thought i'd get the ball in my hand. suffice to say i was pretty fired up after the discussions we'd been having on here and eager to get the ball ripping. first two overs were rubbish; i was bowling down a horrible slope but i put up with it because at least from that end the wind was against me. 3rd over rolled around and i'd got used to the slope. i finished up with 10-3-5-37. it was probably my best bowling of the season, not just because of the figures but because of the balls that didn't even hit anything! i had this chap pinned down with my leg break and eventually totally Gatts him.most satisfying wicket of the season, easily. he came straight up to me and shook my hand! i don't think that has ever happened to me before. so cheers lads for getting me excited. lets keep the chat going!

GoldenArm;363892 said:
nice video Dave, i'll chuck a few vids of me bowling up on youtube and you can tell me what you reckon. thats exactly how i bowl my flipper. i've decided to keep it in my locker for at least 2 more seasons though. i've just learnt this season to bowl my wrong 'un to a level which is match worthy and its proving really effective. i just love the bamboozled look on the batsmans face after he jumps backwards and just about manages to bat it away from his stumps. always brings a smile to my face. i played against a touring side yesterday for a friends team and got chucked the ball on my friends recommendation to the captain. i was surprised as i didn't really know anyone and never thought i'd get the ball in my hand. suffice to say i was pretty fired up after the discussions we'd been having on here and eager to get the ball ripping. first two overs were rubbish; i was bowling down a horrible slope but i put up with it because at least from that end the wind was against me. 3rd over rolled around and i'd got used to the slope. i finished up with 10-3-5-37. it was probably my best bowling of the season, not just because of the figures but because of the balls that didn't even hit anything! i had this chap pinned down with my leg break and eventually totally Gatts him.most satisfying wicket of the season, easily. he came straight up to me and shook my hand! i don't think that has ever happened to me before. so cheers lads for getting me excited. lets keep the chat going!

Cheers Rob here's the new blog Spinbowling-Flipper I have got several blogs including one that deals with all the variations, but I found it a bit unweildy and I didn't like the way all the differing variations were on different pages. I also found that the title of the blog didn't help when people were searching for the info, so this new series allocates an entire blog with hopefully better titles that are found easier on Google. This is still under construction and needs editing, but it's nealy there. Have a look see what you think.

Well done to you and the youngsters. Very good quality and very natural on the camera! You are getting more revs than Jenner and the old Warne. I am surprised you do not get a shed load of wickets with it. You are looking very fit. Keep them coming. You are due a knighthood for the services to leg spin.

Great figures Rob.What is your accuracy re line and length like. Getting a bit of an inferiority complex on this site with all these wickets being taken.

What is the reason for all these british leggies. Besides Macca's son aren't there any aussies that bowl.

Cheers Saddo, There's load more to come. I was hoping to shoot these out on our wicket but the camera picks up so much background noise especially the wind so I ended up doing it in our backyard. I've now put some stuff in the new Spinbowling-Flipper blog I'll have to shoot some more pic's like the one that's already there for the other variations. There's still loads wrong with it as I've just read through it again and some bits get repeated several times so it'll have to be edited. I need to bung a counter in it as well, it'll be interesting to see how many hits it gets. Once I've put up the Flipper variations it'll be interesting (probably depressing actually) to read the comments on youtube, generally I don't because they're obnoxious. But who knows?

GoldenArm;363892 said:

Nice one Rob, but I'm not sure on the way you've laid your figures out there. I may be wrong but I post them up as Overs-Maidens-Runs-Wickets so you had 10 overs, 3 Maidens, 5 Runs and 37 wickets? So was it 3 maidens and 5 wickets or the other way round. Whatever the answer is that's a bloody good set of figures, especially as you was an outsider, I think most people would have had the Yips!

We still haven't heard back from the club about the gradings from the trials last week. The selector said he would inform us last week but so far nothing.

That makes me suspicous that the team he picked last sunday will have been changed somewhat by the time it is released.

It doesn't really matter to us what team we make. But you probably notice that in the early years the young legspinner will do better bowling against the better batsmen because the weaker batsmen cant even get the bat on the ball and the bounce often sees the ball jump the stumps when they miss.

In reponse to Saddo's British Leggies comment -

Most of the Aussie's that use this site seem to be on the forums slagging off all their local teams and players, there's absolutely thousands of them. One of the moderators summed up a fairly common attitude to threads such as ours here - http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t69132/ see the comment from the bloke cold case

You'll just have to wait and see what happens. My lads have been told they'll be playing in the indoor league this winter, which is good. Like you I'm waiting for a letter and I'll expect that they'll be in the 2nd team.

I watched the 24 kids bowling in two line-ups at the nets from behind the batsmen. Straight away you saw that the two legspinners had more flight than any other bowlers.
At twelve years of age the fast bowlers all have the same skidding delivery more or less and no-one is tall enough to get much bounce. But the two leggies were getting lots of bounce with their flight and topspin and nearly every shot played against them was "above the bar" or in fact caught.

macca;363903 said:
I watched the 24 kids bowling in two line-ups at the nets from behind the batsmen. Straight away you saw that the two legspinners had more flight than any other bowlers.
At twelve years of age the fast bowlers all have the same skidding delivery more or less and no-one is tall enough to get much bounce. But the two leggies were getting lots of bounce with their flight and topspin and nearly every shot played against them was "above the bar" or in fact caught.

yeah we've got a kid at our club by the name of Callum Sellars who's probably around about 13 maybe 14 and he's not that tall. He's bowled complete teams out single handed almost in 29 balls earlier in the season, he just bowls with loads of flight and straight with accuracy, again like my captain with the teams best bowling figures ever - he doesn't spin the ball that much. He beats them with the speed and flight. It looks dead easy but as an adult that can potentially bowl so much faster it's a radical approach to adopt to bow that slow and that loopy. I think the bats get phased by the fact that he's so young and small and assume they're going to have a field day with his bowling.

someblokecalleddave;363907 said:
yeah we've got a kid at our club by the name of Callum Sellars who's probably around about 13 maybe 14 and he's not that tall. He's bowled complete teams out single handed almost in 29 balls earlier in the season, he just bowls with loads of flight and straight with accuracy, again like my captain with the teams best bowling figures ever - he doesn't spin the ball that much. He beats them with the speed and flight. It looks dead easy but as an adult that can potentially bowl so much faster it's a radical approach to adopt to bow that slow and that loopy. I think the bats get phased by the fact that he's so young and small and assume they're going to have a field day with his bowling.

What about Philpott ? he was a small 12 years old ,weighed 4 and a half stone, and was bowling in the seniors against grown men in Sydney Grade cricket and getting loads of wickets. He was a child prodigy of legspin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back