Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Spiderlounge;384869 said:
Many thanks for all the tips! :)

Keep us posted of your progress. The Philpott book has to be read and reread. The book raises questions for the novice legspinner, and this thread is a good place to get some answers.

My young bloke has been bowling at this good little left hander the last couple of days. On day one the lefty was on top and he told us how much he loved legspin. He reckons it is because it does not enter his blind spot even when it is pitched right up. My kid did do him with a couple of wronguns though.

On day two however the breeze was strong from fine leg to the lefthander and my son was getting lots of drift and the lefty was continually beaten by it. Still there is not much margin of error bowling to this kid. He is a very good player. If you pitch anywhere near his stumps he kills you but if you pitch a fraction too wide of off stump he loves that.

Spiderlounge;384799 said:
Hi all, I found the site through SomeBlokeCalledDave's excellent blog and hoped I could get some advice. My girlfriend's persuaded me to find a team and start playing cricket for the first time since I left school ten years ago. Initially I'm intending to just find a team and see if I can get into a team on the basis of my batting, i.e. not bowling at all, but I fancied learning to bowl as well and the more I read about leg spin the more it fascinates me - I think I've got the bug!

Anyway, every coaching video I've seen talks about the importance of learning things right the first time so there aren't messy habits to work out later, so I wanted some comments on how I intend to go about things. Before anyone mentions Philpott's book, I've ordered it and it's in the post...

Q1: Do you think any reasonably average person can learn to bowl a decent leg break with enough practice?

Q2: I don't want to set an unrealistic time frame as to when I want to master it by, so from what I've read so far I think I need to approach it from the point of view of practising alone for my own satisfaction for about five years before I think about trying to bowl in any kind of match situation. Does this make sense? (The five years figure is based on asking my girlfriend how long it took her to reach black belt level in martial arts, which seems to me a good analogy for wrist spinning in terms of the skill, understanding and practice required)

Q3: So far I've just practised spinning the ball from right hand to left, but I've found that the "textbook" 2 up, 2 down grip doesn't seem to work for me - it's more like 3 up, 1 down. Would it be better to use whatever grip I feel happy with or is it worth the effort (and ensuing crockery breakages ;) ) to practice the textbook grip until I can get it to work?

Q4: When practising from one hand to the other what's more important to begin with - a good amount of spin or a nice straight seam?

Q5: I haven't bowled at all for years so I'm pretty much starting from a blank page. I'm aiming to take it a step at a time, so I'd welcome comments on the following sequence of targets:
1 - Bowl the ball any old way without trying to spin it until I can bowl a reliably good line and length with a nice straight arm (when I was younger I was a bit of a Malinga, only with less control)
2 - Bowl the ball with a leg spin grip but without spin until satisfied
3 - bowl a basic leg break consistently
4 - bowl a leg break above the batsman's eyeline
5 - add elements of shape
6 - add variable pace
7 - work on basic and then major variations (avoiding the googly)
8 - Googly (while not neglecting other deliveries)

Q6: The only part of my garden that's long enough to bowl in would mean my run up was over a slightly uneven concrete surface - Do you think this will be a problem?

Q7: I was thinking of spinning some weights (about 1kg) from one hand to the other to strengthen my wrist muscles. Is this a useful or a terrible idea?

Finally and just out of curiosity as a former student of fluid dynamics, I know that the principle aerodynamic effect used by spin bowlers is the Magnus effect caused by the spinning of the ball, but is there any point at which people find the entirely different effects used in swing bowling come into play?

I haven't got round to reading what the others have said but just on question 1 alone I have to say that I hadn't played a game of cricket in my life until July 2006. I'd seen Warne on the tele a few times and was mesmerised, my youngest son broke his left arm leaving his good right arm and we started playing cricket with him batting with a tennis racket and me trying to bow leg breaks. Here we are 4 years later I've just posted some of the best bowling stats in my team this year and I'm involved in re-introducing some of the most obscure bowling deliveries known to man! So a five year plan looks like a nice steady approach to me that should see you do well given that you're not going to rush into it. As for playing in a team - yep get in there this season! Start with your batting and when they throw you the ball give it a go. But yeah you're right as a Leg Spinner you're going to have to put the hours in with the ball working it out stage by stage. Finding this thread is probably a pretty good move as there's a bunch of people on here with loads to say and there's an expert amongst us in Macca and the rest of us are just wrist spin nutters just gagging to bowl and send the B******s back to the sheds!!!

"2 - Bowl the ball with a leg spin grip but without spin until satisfied" -

With regards this point and the contentious issue of whether to bowl with or without spin I think this maybe a good compromise. As Jim said -try and adapt your grip as soon as possible otherwise you will cause potential problems in the future if you ever decided that the grip is the basis of some of your faults in the future. If you bowl the 2 up 2 down leg spinners grip but initially work on just bowling straight if you emphasise the release so that ball leaves your 3rd finger you'll find that the ball will break towards off-stump. But this is contentious as everyone else here is going to be saying bowl with a big flick as soon as you can.

However you start get into it as soon as you can, my team are already training and I've just come back from the 2nd net session of the season, loads of new blokes were there so nows the time to get in with all the new blokes and spend a 12 weeks or so gearing up for April. Good luck keep in touch - and you'll be giving advice in no time on here.

Leftie Watch

Wrist Spin Bowling: Leftie Watch

Nets tonight and it went well. I had all the variations in use - Leg Break, Top-Spinning Flipper, Back-Spinning Flipper and the Wrong un and all of them came out pretty good. A few full tosses here and there and a few that were a bit wide of off-stump, but I think I only bowled a couple of balls down the Legside to either right-handers or Lefties.

My main focus was the Lefties and I eventually got to bowl at a few in the first team nets including my nemisis Matt Hills who I can't get anywhere near bowling out, but again I have to remind you he is the best batsman in our club. The good news is I reckon there was an improvement in my bowling. All the balls with the exception of 1 were down the off-side. Again with the variations in pace - once or twice with Flippers I managed to get the ball past him. The ball that caused the biggest problems was the Wrong Un (As it did with all of the others as well), so that looks like it's definitely got potential but needs to be used with more accuracy and possibly with a little more speed than the normal leg breaks. The other thing I noticed was that pitching the ball right up slighty faster right in on the Off-stump, was causing him problems and he was unable to play his preferred shots at all and was seemingly only able to punch the ball back down the wicket? I asked whether there was an improvement over last week and he conceded that there was and said that the bowling was far more negative than last week pointing out that the bowling into his feet/off-stump line was the negative approach. Well he might think that it was negative but struth at least I wasn't hit for a combination of 25 fours and sixes like last week!!!

To me it seems that if I was confronted by a Leftie at one end and a right hander at the other end, at least now I have a potential tactic in that I can possibly restrict the flow of runs when bowling to the leftie as a containment tactic and then attack the Right Hander. Interestingly I heard his Dad say at the start (He's one of our coaches) that in 40 overs cricket it's important that runs are made off of every ball. If that's the case then to me it seems that if I was to adopt this approach with a leftie and tie them down restricting their runs - there's a chance that my bowling may then force him to try and play in a more risky manner?

In the longer term though it now strikes me that I need to get more accurate with the Wrong Un so that I can bowl that in there on the same line and possibly find the edge? The Flipper too may also be useful on that line of attack?

The other Lefties that were in that net (1st teamers) they were easier to deal with and they were both undone with the Wrong Un despite it's inaccuracy, so it's looking promising.

Points for development

Pitch the ball up right under their noses on the off-stump line with a faster leg break. Work on that line and see how that develops and see what the longer term effect is - does it restrict all of the Left Handed players?
Work on the back-spinning Flipper as this will have the potential to swing away from the Leftie.
Work on the Wrong Un's accuracy and speed and get it in on that same line and see what it does.

A few people said I should keep you posted so here's the first update...

Firstly my local team's got back to me and I'll defo be playing some cricket this summer, which is really kid-in-a-candy-shop exciting, but not all that relevant to this thread perhaps as I'm absolutely certain it would be a bad idea for me to bowl at a batsman any time soon - something tells me I need to have convinced myself of a certain level of competence and skill before I do, or risk getting severely frustrated and demoralised.

I've been spinning the ball from right hand to left a lot and can really feel a good flick developing. Perhaps most tellingly I find myself picking up a ball and spinning it round without any conscious thought that I need to practice it - I just see the ball, pick the ball up and do it! That's the most remarkable thing - I feel as if I'm deeply at home as a leg-spinner, like a sort of epiphany, and my head seems to be totally at ease thinking about all the things I need to do, even if I have a lot of practice ahead of me for that information to transmit to my body and the physical act of bowling a leg break. I'm devouring Philpott's book at a great pace and really lapping it up.

My girlfriend's being very supportive and has volunteered to act as wicketkeeper when I'm practising, which is helpful as she seems to have a good eye for technique and a good idea of what to say and when in order to get the maximum benefit. She used to coach martial arts so I imagine that's where she gets it from. We found a nice flat pitch to practice bowling the other day and after a few minutes without really trying I found a really wonderful bowling rhythm, at least from the ribcage down, so I'm pretty sure that's one area I won't have to worry about.

One thing though - I'm getting aches down the underside of my upper arm down through my armpit and round the ribs. I'm not terribly concerned as it just feels like my muscles adjusting to a way of functioning that they're not used to yet, but thought I'd better mention it here in case it rings any alarm bells with one of the sages here.

Spiderlounge;384968 said:
A few people said I should keep you posted so here's the first update...

Firstly my local team's got back to me and I'll defo be playing some cricket this summer, which is really kid-in-a-candy-shop exciting, but not all that relevant to this thread perhaps as I'm absolutely certain it would be a bad idea for me to bowl at a batsman any time soon - something tells me I need to have convinced myself of a certain level of competence and skill before I do, or risk getting severely frustrated and demoralised.

I've been spinning the ball from right hand to left a lot and can really feel a good flick developing. Perhaps most tellingly I find myself picking up a ball and spinning it round without any conscious thought that I need to practice it - I just see the ball, pick the ball up and do it! That's the most remarkable thing - I feel as if I'm deeply at home as a leg-spinner, like a sort of epiphany, and my head seems to be totally at ease thinking about all the things I need to do, even if I have a lot of practice ahead of me for that information to transmit to my body and the physical act of bowling a leg break. I'm devouring Philpott's book at a great pace and really lapping it up.

My girlfriend's being very supportive and has volunteered to act as wicketkeeper when I'm practising, which is helpful as she seems to have a good eye for technique and a good idea of what to say and when in order to get the maximum benefit. She used to coach martial arts so I imagine that's where she gets it from. We found a nice flat pitch to practice bowling the other day and after a few minutes without really trying I found a really wonderful bowling rhythm, at least from the ribcage down, so I'm pretty sure that's one area I won't have to worry about.

One thing though - I'm getting aches down the underside of my upper arm down through my armpit and round the ribs. I'm not terribly concerned as it just feels like my muscles adjusting to a way of functioning that they're not used to yet, but thought I'd better mention it here in case it rings any alarm bells with one of the sages here.

All sounds good to me - the girfriend sounds like the girlfriend of all girlfriends! Aches and pains...... Yeah you're going to need to do some exercise if you do a sedentry job. I recommend getting yourslef one of those terrabands or similar stretchy bands and do an exercise where you pull the band across your shoulders (behind your head) slow and easy not fast and jerky. Do this as often as you can work up to about 30 reps over a period of time. The other good un is rotational press ups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHQ_E-f5278 all of these work on strengthening your rotator cuff which is essential and it's the thing you'll need to look after.

I'm learning that warming up is vitally important and because of a lack of it I may be looking at taking a couple of months off to try and rectify my Plantar faciitis as it doesn't seem to be improving. I'd say that if you're not generally an active kind of person and like me spend most of your day sitting down or walking around I'd say you be best to be cautious and warm up a little. The fact that it's your trunk that seems to be suffering you might want to try some core exercises like the plank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2iRusnnc but you should run all this past David Hinchcliffe and Liz ward over on the fitness part of the forum.

i had the same aches and pains when i started out. after a month or so of practice they just went away. you use some weird muscles for leg spin bowling that you dont use in everyday life. forearms, shoulders and side muscles (i cant be more specific that that as i dont know which exact muscles lol) were the 3 that i noticed the most. id get slight lower back strain as well. it would always recover within 2-3 days and was clear to me that it was just normal post-exercise aches. now i find my knees are the most problematic area of my body, the rest of it has adjusted. but i land heavily on my trailing leg post-follow-through and my knee will ache after a few hours. but again, it recovers very quickly.

there is the potential to damage muscles though, particularly your shoulder, if you are too aggressive too quickly. so you have to take care. do a thorough warm up (you need to find the David Hinchcliffe wacky warm-up video, it works very well) and warm down and stretch out after practice.

Jim2109;385063 said:
i had the same aches and pains when i started out. after a month or so of practice they just went away. you use some weird muscles for leg spin bowling that you dont use in everyday life. forearms, shoulders and side muscles (i cant be more specific that that as i dont know which exact muscles lol) were the 3 that i noticed the most. id get slight lower back strain as well. it would always recover within 2-3 days and was clear to me that it was just normal post-exercise aches. now i find my knees are the most problematic area of my body, the rest of it has adjusted. but i land heavily on my trailing leg post-follow-through and my knee will ache after a few hours. but again, it recovers very quickly.

there is the potential to damage muscles though, particularly your shoulder, if you are too aggressive too quickly. so you have to take care. do a thorough warm up (you need to find the David Hinchcliffe wacky warm-up video, it works very well) and warm down and stretch out after practice.

Yeah I need to go back to the Googly wannabe and tell him to mind how he goes with learning how to bowl it because that nearly screwed my rotator cuff. I used to be in bed and also when getting out of bed - I just couldn't lift my arm over my head - it was screwed for a good few weeks and I had to stop bowling and start exercising and warming up.

spiderlounge - get those slazenger balls in your picture scuffed up nicely. soften one of them up with a bat as well. theyre amazing to bowl leg spin with once they are worn in!! you can land them on any part of the ball and they still grip net surfaces decently :D but the seams are just right, not too proud but not too flat, they seriously rip if you land on them. my slazenger is a bit beaten up now, i need to get another one as its gone soft and has deformed so its now oval shaped. but it was an awesome ball for learning with. they are also really nice to grip once they wear because the leather scuffs up rather than going smooth and shiny.

they are quite big as well by most standards. the only ball ive got thats bigger is a cheap Readers one. all the match balls ive used (Kookaburra, Dukes, and one other that i cant remember) were slightly smaller. and if you learn with a larger ball it makes smaller ones super easy to spin.

W'hey - check this out type in 'Legspin bowling' in google and see where it takes you as the first option!!! World domination already!!!

someblokecalleddave;385116 said:
W'hey - check this out type in 'Legspin bowling' in google and see where it takes you as the first option!!! World domination already!!!

wikipedia for me. your blog ranks 6th. its 2nd for "how to bowl leg spin" though. your blogs are first page for most of the variation searches as well.

excellent! im not sure how google works it all out either, but i do know that the more links you have to and from your page the higher it will get. Wikipedia is about as high profile as it gets, so youll always struggle to beat it, however you can edit the wikipedia entries for wrist spin and leg spin. add your blog links to them and that might bump you up to number 2.

Jim2109;385272 said:
excellent! im not sure how google works it all out either, but i do know that the more links you have to and from your page the higher it will get. Wikipedia is about as high profile as it gets, so youll always struggle to beat it, however you can edit the wikipedia entries for wrist spin and leg spin. add your blog links to them and that might bump you up to number 2.

Yeah I had a look at that before and it looked overly complicated, so didn't bother. Have you ever done it as it does look a nightmare?

someblokecalleddave;385284 said:
Yeah I had a look at that before and it looked overly complicated, so didn't bother. Have you ever done it as it does look a nightmare?

ive never edited any of the info, so not sure how hard it is. i just figured youd need to register with the site and then you could just change stuff. maybe not.

i found out today that my club starts winter nets next monday. so i will finally get some long overdue practice in. most likely against batsmen which probably isnt ideal, but its better than none at all. if the weather clears up by the weekend i might try and get a few hours in on sunday in preparation.

someblokecalleddave;384886 said:
With regards this point and the contentious issue of whether to bowl with or without spin I think this maybe a good compromise. As Jim said -try and adapt your grip as soon as possible otherwise you will cause potential problems in the future if you ever decided that the grip is the basis of some of your faults in the future. If you bowl the 2 up 2 down leg spinners grip but initially work on just bowling straight if you emphasise the release so that ball leaves your 3rd finger you'll find that the ball will break towards off-stump. But this is contentious as everyone else here is going to be saying bowl with a big flick as soon as you can.
I've been playing around with my grip (I'm not bowling proper yet, still just spinning hand to hand) and my problem seems to be remarkably simple - all I needed to do was take my thumb off the ball and 2 up-2 down works a charm!!! My left shoulder's playing up a lot so don't think I'll be bowling proper any time soon though...

Spiderlounge;385429 said:
I've been playing around with my grip (I'm not bowling proper yet, still just spinning hand to hand) and my problem seems to be remarkably simple - all I needed to do was take my thumb off the ball and 2 up-2 down works a charm!!! My left shoulder's playing up a lot so don't think I'll be bowling proper any time soon though...

I personlly think that very few leggies can spin big with the thumb on the ball. I'm at a similar stage of development to you, but I can spin much more vigorously without touching the ball with my thumb.

chrisbell;385430 said:
I personlly think that very few leggies can spin big with the thumb on the ball. I'm at a similar stage of development to you, but I can spin much more vigorously without touching the ball with my thumb.

you may find (as i did) that initially it seems easier without the thumb, but eventually youll naturally add it on.

i actually use the thumb to assist in spinning the ball. without it i generate about 10-15% fewer revs on the ball. it also helps to stabilise the ball out of the hand and reduces stray deliveries.

most of the really big spinners look to use their thumbs. Warne definitely does and im finding my spinning action resembling his more and more the more i work on improving it.

Jim2109;385431 said:
you may find (as i did) that initially it seems easier without the thumb, but eventually youll naturally add it on.

i actually use the thumb to assist in spinning the ball. without it i generate about 10-15% fewer revs on the ball. it also helps to stabilise the ball out of the hand and reduces stray deliveries.

most of the really big spinners look to use their thumbs. Warne definitely does and im finding my spinning action resembling his more and more the more i work on improving it.

You know, now trying it - you're right!:rolleyes::cool::D Not so sure I'd use it for the googly, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back