Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

I had a good net session yesterday.

There was a group of people down at the nets, so I got to bowl against a batsmen. I seem to be slowly curtailing my problems with accuracy and tossing the ball too high; they seem to be lesser with every net session.

I got excellent drift and turn. Beat the bat several times, although I must say the people there were not good players of spin, they lacked foot movement and did not clobber the balls which I tossed up too high. Still it was good to see it ripping from leg to way outside off.

Also, I tried to throw in a couple of wrong'un for a change now that my leg-break is good; I failed badly. They managed to get down the other end, but they came out top-spinners; I seem to have the leg-break syndrome. :)

That sound fine, don't get carried away with trying to bowl wrong uns, maybe if you don't already bowl the Top-Spinner - work on that? That way you're working your way round the loop. The Top-Spinner is a good ball to have you can use it to tie a batsman down and force errors - a good Top Spinner will look like your leg break coming and then will suddenly drop short causing batting errors - top edges and bounces off the gloves as the steep drop will then cause a higher bounce. It's a good ball in your repetoire so I'd say leave the wrong un for a while and work with the Top Spinner. I reckon if you get your Top-Spinner sussed you'll be only a slight wrist turn away from your wrong un.

I made a tentative start with The Biggun yesterday (Again if I could video what I'm doing it would be beneficial) but it feels like I jump from being able to give the Top Spinner a big flick to the Slider with a big flick and somewhere in the action the Leg Break gets by-passed. It may also be that I am getting the ball to come out of the hand rotating 90 degrees to the direction of flight but because it is at 90 degrees the seam doesn't dig in as it might with a more angled rotation and instead it just trips over itself and doesn't get any turn off the wicket - does that make sense?

If I bowl slower and shorter I'm able to bowl the biggun and it turns massively but the full length and it goes wrong. What do you reckon I should do - practice short and gradually build up the length?

someblokecalleddave;370089 said:
I made a tentative start with The Biggun yesterday (Again if I could video what I'm doing it would be beneficial) but it feels like I jump from being able to give the Top Spinner a big flick to the Slider with a big flick and somewhere in the action the Leg Break gets by-passed. It may also be that I am getting the ball to come out of the hand rotating 90 degrees to the direction of flight but because it is at 90 degrees the seam doesn't dig in as it might with a more angled rotation and instead it just trips over itself and doesn't get any turn off the wicket - does that make sense?

If I bowl slower and shorter I'm able to bowl the biggun and it turns massively but the full length and it goes wrong. What do you reckon I should do - practice short and gradually build up the length?

what surface are you bowling it on? ive found that the 90 degree works perfectly on most surfaces when you get it right, the skidding through thing only happens if the seam isnt perfectly upright and the ball lands slightly on the face, and off the seam. then it doesnt grip. the seam position is more at the mercy of a perfect action when you bowl it at 90 degrees, whereas with overspin there is more margin for error (since your hand is following the ball with the seam rotation, as opposed to rolling across it).

it may just be that when you bowl slowly the ball either comes out spot on and thus grips, or comes out angled but is slower and so still grips anyway. whereas at full speed the face just skids off the pitch. in the nets i practice at the ball will almost always grip to some extent, even off the face. but by a lesser amount. on the concrete nets i use sometimes and on an actual pitch it doesnt grip at all, only if it lands on the seam.

buy a white ball (if you dont have one already) and put black insulating tape around the seam. you should be able to see it in flight then if the seam is angled back or forward.

to test this try turning the ball back 15 degrees or so, so that it has a small amount of backspin as well. see if that grips better. my 90 degree turns bigger than my overspinner, but the overspinner is more consistent (it lands on the seam more often). then my slightly backspun version is the largest overall turner, and i turn my wrist and elbow on approach for that now and give it a massive flick through the arm motion. when it lands right it turns massively, its the kind of ball that bowls someone behind their legs having pitched too wide of leg stump to even get bat on ball lol. if you want a big turner then the backspun version is the best.

as you say though, with video this would be very easy to analyse. without it youre just guessing. the white ball with black tape trick really does work though. my eyesight is really bad (short sighted) and most small things are a blur at 20 yards, but even my rubbish eyes can see the tape. so if youve got 20/20 vision youll definitely see the seam!

The black tape white balls sounds like a starting point - what I might do is get some enamel paint and paint the seam black on a white ball and see how that works out.

I had my first match the other week and these cricket games go over 2 weeks. Each week your team gets 60 overs to bat. So during this match i opened up with the bat and made a quick 21 and got out from a leg spinner :eek: top edged to square leg.

However my first time ever bowling leg spin in a match netted my self 3 wickets. At the end of the day my figures were.
O M R W Econ
4 0 9 3 2.25

A great start to the season. My first over was a bit shaky i pushed the first couple of balls past leg stump. So i told my self to throw one up and that ball he got beaten in flight and bowled him middle & leg. So the next batsmen i started to throw them up and then i saw him come down the pitch a bit so i pushed one leg side again and he got out stumped. The next wicket i got was basically the same as the 2nd i kept throwing the ball up and then i pushed one leg side again. This time it skidded quicker then the batsmen anticipated he used a horizontal bat shot and was looking to hit it towards square/fine leg. However he top edged it and the wicketkeeper caught it.

Sounds like good work to me, I'd have those figures any day of the week, I can't believe you didn't get to bowl more overs - what's that all about? Trick is to now try and maintain a similar kind of performance, try and maintain a good strike rate - at the minute you're on 8, if you can keep it around 8 you'll be playing for your first team in a matter of weeks! Keep us informed.

Have you come over from that other forum, as the name and the picture look familiar?

Mr_Cricket;370099 said:
I had my first match the other week and these cricket games go over 2 weeks. Each week your team gets 60 overs to bat. So during this match i opened up with the bat and made a quick 21 and got out from a leg spinner :eek: top edged to square leg.

However my first time ever bowling leg spin in a match netted my self 3 wickets. At the end of the day my figures were.
O M R W Econ
4 0 9 3 2.25

A great start to the season. My first over was a bit shaky i pushed the first couple of balls past leg stump. So i told my self to throw one up and that ball he got beaten in flight and bowled him middle & leg. So the next batsmen i started to throw them up and then i saw him come down the pitch a bit so i pushed one leg side again and he got out stumped. The next wicket i got was basically the same as the 2nd i kept throwing the ball up and then i pushed one leg side again. This time it skidded quicker then the batsmen anticipated he used a horizontal bat shot and was looking to hit it towards square/fine leg. However he top edged it and the wicketkeeper caught it.

It's great to see that you're always looking at how to get the bastmen out. Each one is different so it's great to see that you're looking to get them stumped if they're consistently dancing down the pitch, or to look for the LBW if they're plalying off the back foot - always looking to get wickets and limit the stem of runs and keep them on strike. great to see. excellent figures.

Mr_Cricket;370099 said:

O M R W Econ
4 0 9 3 2.25

I hope my young bloke can start the season with figures like that. They are good figures in anyones lingo, but in a way they are fairly typical for a legspinner who sounds like he is bowling to a plan and not just blindly toiling away.
Not knowing the details it reads like you may have got the tail out? which is one of the main jobs of the legspinner. In fact in the olden days it was almost the main job of the legspinner.

I only bowled 4 over because it was the end of day. I'm a bit surprised that i had to wait till the end of the day to get a bowl so my question to you guys is how do i get the captain to bowl me earlier. Is there some general tips to give me like nag the captain more for a bowl?

Any tips will be great full.

@Maca
Yes you are right Maca i bowled the tail out. I came in to bowl when they were 4 or 5 down.

@Dave
I have a similar account on cricket web mainly used it when the ashes was on.

Mr_Cricket;370099 said:

@Maca
Yes you are right Maca i bowled the tail out. I came in to bowl when they were 4 or 5 down.

@Dave
I have a similar account on cricket web mainly used it when the ashes was on.

mate u gotta have the confidence of the captain to make him bowl you. make him know that you'll take wickets. this requires a bit of PR and it requires a lot of good bowling in the nets and on the field. unless you and your captain don't get on (and even then) you'll have to get a bowl with those sort of numbers - 3 for 10 - tell him that next innings and ask for 8 overs.

and you gotta tell your captain what your plan is. e.g. if you're trying to bowl him around the legs then make sure the captain knows this or he'll think you're bowling rubbish, especially if u get tonked for 4. ------> main point is discuss field placings with the skippa, have a plan and be disciplined about what you bowl.

Don't be scared to ask for more. he'll give it to you only because you went and asked.

g'luck m8

Mr_Cricket;370250 said:
I only bowled 4 over because it was the end of day. I'm a bit surprised that i had to wait till the end of the day to get a bowl so my question to you guys is how do i get the captain to bowl me earlier. Is there some general tips to give me like nag the captain more for a bowl?

It depends on the personality of the captain I suppose as to how to go about trying to get some extra overs. Concentration when bowling at all times is more important than confidence but it helps if you look and sound like you know what you are doing.
It is in the captains interest, even if he does not know it, to once the shine has come off the ball or sooner, have a legspinner into the breeze and give the fast blokes the wind and spell them often. In Queensland if your the best legspinner in the team you should get plenty of overs, too many some days!

I'd say the same, get the Wrist Spinner on sooner as well as later bowl him/her with the fasts and give the bats something to think about. A lot of teams openers don't expect to have to face spinners and often are all at sea against spin. You'll also possibly reduce the run rate dramatically if not take wickets.

Steve Smiths legspin keeps getting better. Hope they dont make him work on his batting too much. He pitches it up there but it drops and drifts perfectly and he is spinning it more than anyone in that champions league in India. He is great to watch and at 20 he could do anything yet. Remember Warnie was not considered a world beater at that age

macca;370407 said:
Steve Smiths legspin keeps getting better. Hope they dont make him work on his batting too much. He pitches it up there but it drops and drifts perfectly and he is spinning it more than anyone in that champions league in India. He is great to watch and at 20 he could do anything yet. Remember Warnie was not considered a world beater at that age

There's not a lot out there on your mate Steven Smith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Smith_(cricketer_born_1989)

http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/267192.html

You'll have to keep us Poms up to date with his progress, we wont want another Shane Warnesque surprise like the Mike Gatting thing in the next Ashes.

someblokecalleddave;370480 said:
There's not a lot out there on your mate Steven Smith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Smith_(cricketer_born_1989)

Steven Smith | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

You'll have to keep us Poms up to date with his progress, we wont want another Shane Warnesque surprise like the Mike Gatting thing in the next Ashes.

Yeah he has been on show in India in the champions league along with most of the worlds best spinners.

Mendis is the closest to Grimmett in approach to bowling .

I have seen only 5 overs from Steve Smith in the championship but he has only bowled one bad ball in those overs. Most deliveries were causing problems for the batsmen. Holland , the new wiz kid left arm orthodox spinner for vics looks great in action but he got smashed out of the attack in the only over i saw him bowl but looks impressive none the less. Hauritz is the best aussie spinner though, at the moment.

My sons have a got an indoors league match coming up not this Friday but the next. I've been getting the younger one (Joe) to bowl a bit recently and he's been up for it and seems to bowling spin again. When he concentrates he seems to get it right, I reckon if I could get him to just lift his leg up and over in his action and use his leading arm more he'd get more spin. I reckon I'll book a badminton bay in the local leisure centre next Wednesday before their match and get them to bowl for an hour and see if I get them to tidy thier bowling up a bit and take it slightly more seriously.

My sons teams last net before their first game this season was today. Three of the best players cant make it because of the holidays so it wont be easy.

My kid got picked to open the batting because of his good technique and ability to hang around and he batted well today. He had a long bowl too and was in good nick with the ball.

Coach was again impressed with his bowling. The bounce he was getting compared to everybody else was insane. Pretty much a perfect spell with only one long hop, everything else he spun up there mostly on the stumps and with loads of turn, too much in fact for the kids today. The three kids who are not playing this weekend are our three best batsmen but the others today did not have a clue against the legspin and could hardly get bat to ball.

Our bowling attack is pretty weak and the coach said the team was put in the wrong grade by mistake and needs to be put down one division which still might happen. If we win the toss we need to bowl first because i cant see our boys batting out their 30 overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back