Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Warney retired five years early. Leggies get better when there fat and forty. :) Watch him in the 20/20.

Here he's offered to come back for the ashes series, if he does, you Englishman need to be afraid, very afraid.

Though I think we might need him, given all the retirements we've had.

Was that last line a joke? No way. We are still the #1 team. It's not often you are 4/20 with 2 of your best batsmen out and still win.

yea but McGill was turning them a country mile the other day against the windies! but he did have 3 bad balls against 3 ok balls!

I'd love for Warne to come out of retirement and play in the ashes.

Anyway other than that I had an hour or so on this artificial wicket that I've just re-discovered having forgotten it was there -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.577836,0.446481&spn=0.00142,0.005386&t=h&z=18

God it was awful I bowled a total bunch of crap, I can't believe how inconsistent my bowling can be sometimes. One day I'm bowling really well and few days later and I feel like I might as well give up and start a new sport like tiddly winks or something I can do! I've got a match sunday - I better get it together by then.

Lucky to have such a beautiful place to practice. Problem is you will need a dog to fetch the balls like clarrie grimmet used to do way back in the 30s. Some things never change in this old game. Unfortunately the place where i practice very erratically has been dug up to make way for an artificial turf pitch. Will have to try to find another patch to graze in.
Dave i understand your frustration even the best bowl loose balls and not every ball turns a mile,so we all admire your perseverance despite this being the most difficult type of bowling where everything must be in sync.

someblokecalleddave said:
I'd love for Warne to come out of retirement and play in the ashes.

Anyway other than that I had an hour or so on this artificial wicket that I've just re-discovered having forgotten it was there -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.577836,0.446481&spn=0.00142,0.005386&t=h&z=18

God it was awful I bowled a total bunch of crap, I can't believe how inconsistent my bowling can be sometimes. One day I'm bowling really well and few days later and I feel like I might as well give up and start a new sport like tiddly winks or something I can do! I've got a match sunday - I better get it together by then.

They call spin an art! But i just think its a death sentence stretched out over you're "career!" Its one of those feelings every spin bowler especially knows only too well!

Nice one Simon, I was a out there on my own a bit there - thinking like I was the only bloke in the world that has days like that. It got better today - acceptable and I'm hoping for a return to form tomorrow.

Ditto to that. I'm absolutely unplayable when I'm bowling well, and rubbish when I'm not. Sadly, I've not been able to practice for a couple of weeks due to injury, so god only knows what I'm going to be like when I come back!

someblokecalleddave said:
Nice one Simon, I was a out there on my own a bit there - thinking like I was the only bloke in the world that has days like that. It got better today - acceptable and I'm hoping for a return to form tomorrow.

Nah Dave!

I get them now and again. Its confidence over everything usually. You have to remember! Spin is just about placement first, if it isn't naturally coming together, build it up!

First you want placement, then pace, then additional extras(flight, and all those long words i don't know how to spell, like traje....angles ;)) Spin doesnt need to come into it until you're comfortable.

Look at Danny Vettori, in the past, he hasn't had a great deal of spin, but has gotten his wickets with cleverly devised plans. Having a partner at the other end putting pressure on the batsmen, so they try to hit out against the SLA, and he just needs to change pace, bit more flight here and there and they edge it because the batsmen think they have to score at 15 per over as they aren't getting it from the other end!

Dave, do you usually bowl with another guy? If you did, it gives you confidence as you know what to expect, its kinda like the 2005 Ashes. The fast bowlers hunted in packs, then Giles came on with usually either Flintoff or Harmison firing. It just give the illusion that Giles was needed to be the one to score runs off, and he picked up wickets! Purely from Flintoff or Harmison!

Simbazz said:
Nah Dave!

Dave, do you usually bowl with another guy? If you did, it gives you confidence as you know what to expect, its kinda like the 2005 Ashes. The fast bowlers hunted in packs, then Giles came on with usually either Flintoff or Harmison firing. It just give the illusion that Giles was needed to be the one to score runs off, and he picked up wickets! Purely from Flintoff or Harmison!

I wish I could, on the occassions that I have it's really worked out well - I don't know why, maybe just the encouragement from the other bloke. The other thing I found is that I bowled back and forth with one of our teams other Wrist spinners and he was bowling badly and I was probably bowling as I normally do, but his bowling made mine look supreme and all the other players were commenting in my favour saying that I'd taken this blokes crown.

I also made the breakthrough with the Leg Break bowling the ball back and forth to a mate of mine, so you're probably right it's a good way to practice but it's very rare for me to get the opportunity to practice in that manner. But I certainly would do if I could.

I made a discovery today which I kind of half expected was the case. Almost all my practicing takes place on random fields - outfields of cricket pitches, football fields, playing fields - basically anywhere there's a bit of grass. When I practice on these different fields I bowl like Shane Warne, the balls I want to spin towards off do so massively and vice versa. But then when it comes to real cricket pitches nothing happens and it's been really disheartening. I've discovered an all weather wicket near where I live and have taken to practicing there (Check it out - www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com ) and it plays like a real cricket pitch in that it's really difficult to get the ball to turn off the wicket. I've practiced there now 3 times spending up to 2 hours bowling back and forth with 18 balls and it's challenging. Today there was an improvement and I thought to myself - what if I now go and practice on one my grass practice wickets - will I revert back to being Warnesque in my abilities? So tonight I tried it out and sure enough the difference was massive! So that's why I've been finding games really tough because my practices I bowl like a world class test bowler and then in the games I've been bowling like a numpty.

So as you suggested I've got to be more Daniel Vettori and clever with my bowling and work at bowling on surfaces that don't give you a lot of spin.

alrite... havnt been on for a while.

heres the deal, i now THINK that i understand the basic mechanics in my action. this may or may not help since some people have unorthodox actions, but the line of the delivery is determines mainly by the alaignment of the body through the action: straight lines mean straight balls! this seems simple but i think that it is very easy to disregard, i for one was missing it for a while, since my run up was too angled i bowled alot of legside deliverys, i got away with them because of my spin but a good player could easily dispatch them, if it wasnt spinning a la Warnie. i think when ur front foot hits the crease it should be slightly accross the line, pointing to the batsman's pads, but this is because the natural pivot in my action makes up the difference + more torque in the action = more spin :p

the Short ball :cursing: :cursing:
these are bastards of the highest degree and an insta-four against any batsman. most of mine tend to be just outside off stump leaving me wide open for a cut. this is because i get too over eager and am not side on when i release the ball, i.e. i dragg it down to the pitch. this is usually coupled by the killer "falling away at the crease" or even worse - NO FOLLOW THROUGH WHATSOVER :eek: :eek: :cursing:
the reason the ball comes out so short is because i have dragged it down, but beware! u can bowl short side on too, this is rarer but caused bassically by being uncoordinated -(this one can cause a full toss as well) basically where ur arm and body are not in synch. this is a much greater problem and u would probably need to go back to scratch and revamp ur action to sort it out. (also caused by being tired... NEVER NEVER EVER bowl when u are tired, this can actually have a lasting effect upon ur action. i learnt that one by experience. ;)

Spin.
this is actually generated by the amount of torque u have in ur action. NOTE I SAID ACTION NOT GRIP. holding the ball over tightly kills the spin and increased the chance of u bowling a short one ( increased tension in the arm)

soo what do u guys think, i had a free week and went to the oval every day for 2 hours and just bowled. i took notes and stuff to chart my progess and i came up with this.
any suggestions / thoughts / problems?

On your point about the short ball - what are you calling short, because I was watching Vettori today at last years world cup and he was bowling very short, seemingly to get the batsman out of his crease? It looks as though tactically he was tempting the batsman out of the crease and giving away a few fours with the intention then of doing something different that would get the ball past the batsman? So what's short?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back