Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Dave, i think the vettori approach is great and it is always satisfying to outthink a batsman, but..., if u have the reputation/ appearance of being able to turn the ball on any surfacem, batsmen will tend to give u even more weapons in ur mental arsenal,
as i said spin is generated by the torque in ur action as opposed so ur grip, i suggest that for more spin, hold it a little looser and in ur delivery stride

_____@_...________

___@___..._________ @ = foot ... = wicket ____ = crease

ur front foot should be at a 45 degree angle to the batsman and u should really drive through with ur right thigh towards the target.

this is what works for me when i try to turn it massively but different things work for different people
try it out and if it works for you great!

on really non spinny pitches which are quite rare unless u get to county level,
i would suggest that u keep ur line on off stumpish and maybe bowl a little flatter, adding a degree of over spin to ur stock leggie, trying to get the batsman to play forward to something that dips and lands shorter than expected, maybe have a silly point., looking for a ball caught higher on the bat than expected. also if u get enough action on the ball, this will give u some drift which will cause the batsman problems and could yield a bat-pad catch if he plays outside the line of one that drifts and bounces but doesnt turn massively, so if ur drifting, try a sill midwicket/short leg. its all about working the batsman over and denying him any scoring opportunities, he may get frustrated and try to play too expansively to deliveries which are good line and length

bowling round the wicket can be effective as well since it is difficult to score off

Short __ anything that sits up to be hit, giving the batsman time. i.e. a good flipper isnt short if it doesnt give the batsman time.
was vettori bowling with alot of flight???
bowling loopy balls with lots of flight a little short can tempt a batsman to the slog - i love it when they go straight up in the air lol!

Yep - very short and loopy and yep they were slogging it, but he was taking wickets varying it, couldn't really tell what his overall tactic was because it was highlights and they only show the dramatic stuff and none of the hard work in between that's the most interesting.

i suspect he was trying to induce a slog, if he got slogged, he might have bowled a couple of fullish loopy ones and then a short one and caught a batsman outside of the crease or with his feet in the wrong place, good tactics

what do u think about my views on turn, grip tightness, i was challenged by someone who insisted that a very uber tight grip spins more, just feels wrong for me but might work for others

i think that a world class spinner should be able to get inside the mind of a batsman and draw up an appropriate plan, for instance, against a slogger, i might even leave cow corner empty and bowl ala vettori to induce a slog, but against a blocker , bowl a bit quicker occasionaly and good results will come. if u know that a batsman is weak on the leg side, bowl there! leave square leg open and try and get him to flick u! look at warne on trent bridge day 4 2005 against vaughan, that was some of the best tactical spin ive seen, he moved his square leg to silly point and vaughan attempted to flick him and got a leading edge to around the gully, the ball drifted a bit in the air and came abit shorter then vaughn expected methinks

A couple of questions. :D

1. Is 24 too late to start playing cricket?
2. How do spinners (leg, wrist spinners in particular) move the ball in the air? Like Warne... I mean, I know how the physics of aerodynamics works for fast swing bowling, but a search for the same in spin leaves me with 0 results. Can someone tell me the a). physics behind it, and b). how it is practically bowled?

Btw., I noticed you made a comment at an YouTube video where Warne was bowling a couple of overs to a kid. Small world. :laugh:

Thanks! :)

Stan,

Welcome on board :D
24 is a good age to play cricket.
If maintain ur fitness level it should not be a problem at all.
Keep regularly checking this forum and u will find useful tips and advice.
Lot of interesting people are a member of this site.
Which part of India u r from?

drift in the air, which i assume u talk about is caused by the Magnus effect, like the same way a golf ball swings when it slices or hooks. this happens because most spinners dont bowl pure sidespin, they add a degree of over spin which induces the drift.
imho the best seam position for drift is having the ball at a 45 degree angle to the target e.g for a leggie pointing towards 2nd slip as opposed to point. if the ball comes out slightly tilted as well that will get tons of drift

the magnus effect is where the spinning ball "drags" air with it in the direction that it is spinning so causing one side of the ball to be in a lower pressure than the other

Thanks Virendar for the nice welcome. :) I am from Tamilnadu. How about you?

Moby, thanks a lot for that. I searched that in Wikipedia and am now fully able to appreciate it. :) Btw., does this mean that if a backward spin is applied - that is the ball is spinning towards cover (for example), the drift would be towards the rt.hand batsman's offside instead of the usual other way round? Is there a critical speed or amount of spin that needs to be imparted for maximum drift?

Also, what exactly do you mean by this:
"if the ball comes out slightly tilted as well that will get tons of drift".

P.S.: Another noobish question.. Why do all spin bowlers grip the ball by the seam? Is it just for grip/more spin or does the ball this way always land on the seam giving better bounce or spin off the pitch?

hi stan, the ball will always drift in the direction of the side spin still with overspin or backward spin though overspin generally creates the most drift though backspinners can sometimes swing instead of drift which in that case they can move away from the right hander. Traditionally the only drift away from the batsmen will come from the wrong'un which as the sidespin is the other way.

As for critical speed i'm not sure but the more spin you get the more the ball will drift, with the traditionally largest drift coming from a half over spin half side spin ball with the ball for a leg break angled at 45 degrees pointing to wide slips or gully.

The grip on the seam does makes it easier to grip giving you a chance to add more revolutions and also increases the likelyhood that the ball will land spinning on the seam which will give more turn or bounce.

Thanks for the reply gundalf, it was very helpful.

Btw.,
gundalf7 said:
hi stan, the ball will always drift in the direction of the side spin
you mean with Magnus effect, a leg spinner would normally drift the ball in the air from onside to offside (in the direction of side spin) or does it explain the usual drift from off to onside?

But the reason why I asked that question was that from what I read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect), I understood that the ball will drift towards the direction of air compression - which I suppose is towards leg slip in the overspun 45 degree ball and towards 2nd slip in the backspun 135 degree ball? Where am I going wrong in this presumption?

Thanks again. :)

oops missed out the word opposite :laugh:, it will always drift the opposite way to the side spin

gundalf7 said:
oops missed out the word opposite :laugh:, it will always drift the opposite way to the side spin

Hehe, ok. :) Btw., anyone have a clear idea about how exactly magnus effect works and where I have gone wrong? I'm very intrigued. :D

well i managed to give the example of the wrong'un right as it will drift away (from a right hander), and the leg break will drift in, which can be seen in great example of warne's "ball of the century".

So, I guess I misunderstood the concept a little; confused the axes I suppose. :)

The compression is rather to the side of the forward direction of the spin then. :D

Wrong un's...... and flippers.....

any tips??? i know how, but i cant get em consistent, + they tend to screw my leg break so i havnt given too much practise on them

Stan said:
A couple of questions. :D

1. Is 24 too late to start playing cricket?
2. How do spinners (leg, wrist spinners in particular) move the ball in the air? Like Warne... I mean, I know how the physics of aerodynamics works for fast swing bowling, but a search for the same in spin leaves me with 0 results. Can someone tell me the a). physics behind it, and b). how it is practically bowled?

Btw., I noticed you made a comment at an YouTube video where Warne was bowling a couple of overs to a kid. Small world. :laugh:

I started when I was 46! I love it and play with blokes who's ages range from 13 to 53 or more!

Warne's flight and movement before hitting the pitch isn't that hard to replicate. The speed in which he did it might be a hurdle for some as he had excellent shoulder and arm strength to really flow it down the pitch.

You have to find a technique which is right for you, trying to emulate Warne is good, but trying to do that will just result in injuries and overall you wont allow yourself to fully achieve!

Find a technique which works and build your own individuality!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back