Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

rdev - welcome aboard! Hope you find it useful and that we can all help each other out!

What seems to be the problem with length?

I guess my problem with the length is common for all leggies in that I seem to be bowling a lot of full tosses.

I always give it a good flight but it does not land at length but ends up a full toss and i get tonked all over.

this has been very frustrating. I tried the standard mark up technique but this only works so long as i am bowling without a batsman at the other end. the moment I have a batsman, I end up with full tosses.

I read on this site today where some one suggested looking at the base of the off-stump to resolve the problem.

did any of u face the same problem?

with this fundamental problem at the moment, I am unable to try/worry abt advanced tactics such as dip and turn.

rgds

there are a few things you could try:
try slowing your action a bit to work on accuracy, trying to release the ball a bit later will also work which is the solution i usually use if this happens on a particular day.

Other things you could try would be to add more top spin to make the ball dip quicker, but the best solution would just be have a good old practice at it

Hi Dev,
Bowling Leg spin is diffcult than off spin and so bowling full tosses is common.
The key factor is to practice with Patience as it requires a lot of it.
While bowling concentrate on the batsmen's feet to pitch the ball.
Also "Spot Blowing" will be a good practice for developing your bowling skills i.e. Line & Length.
Patience & practice is the key to develop ur leg spin because Leg spin is a diffcult art of spin bowling.
But once it is mastered then the most deadliest of all.
If possible post a video of ur spin bowling from the batsmen end.
Best of Luck :)

JonAd said:
Anyone here bowling off spin?

I really need some help as I seem to have lost my stock ball and have no idea whats going wrong.

Are you bowling the equivalent of a leg break with your left arm as your stock ball?

A question on line and length for r handed wrist spinners

1) LINE: If bowling to right handers assuming we can get it right most of the time would you try to bowl middle and leg? Does it make a difference what line to bowl round or over the wicket?

2) LENGTH: I know the idea is to bowl a length the batsmen is undecided whether to go back or forwards, but where in distance from the batsmans crease would you bowl assuming he is not using his feet and is of normal height? I assume the bounce from the pitch would make a difference eg low bounce turf pitch vs higher bouncing concrete pitches in the length bowled. Any ideas eg would bowling the topspinner be a shorter length as you would expect it to bounce more and be straighter and here the idea would be to bowl the batsman or get him LBW :confused:

mysteryspinner said:
A question on line and length for r handed wrist spinners

1) LINE: If bowling to right handers assuming we can get it right most of the time would you try to bowl middle and leg? Does it make a difference what line to bowl round or over the wicket?

2) LENGTH: I know the idea is to bowl a length the batsmen is undecided whether to go back or forwards, but where in distance from the batsmans crease would you bowl assuming he is not using his feet and is of normal height? I assume the bounce from the pitch would make a difference eg low bounce turf pitch vs higher bouncing concrete pitches in the length bowled. Any ideas eg would bowling the topspinner be a shorter length as you would expect it to bounce more and be straighter and here the idea would be to bowl the batsman or get him LBW :confused:

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Hi Dev,
Bowling Leg spin is diffcult than off spin and so bowling full tosses is common.
The key factor is to practice with Patience as it requires a lot of it.
While bowling concentrate on the batsmen's feet to pitch the ball.
Also "Spot Blowing" will be a good practice for developing your bowling skills i.e. Line & Length.
Patience & practice is the key to develop ur leg spin because Leg spin is a diffcult art of spin bowling.
But once it is mastered then the most deadliest of all.
If possible post a video of ur spin bowling from the batsmen end.
Best of Luck :)

Hi Virendar, gundalf & mas cambios,

I tried watching the batsman's feet while bowling at the nets today and it seemed to work. thanks for ur suggestions.
i feel a lot better today in comparision to the depressing nites that i have had thus far. i was no where close to getting good flight, spin etc today but was more than happy to have pitched the ball in front of the batsman majority of times. i will work on the length for a couple of weeks more and try to make the accuracy my second nature (well, almost). i suppose i can then worry about wrist flick, flight, spin, dip, turn etc.

thanks again.

regards,
rdev

Rdev,

This is exactly what I've been told to concentrate on by my captain. I tend to practice with stumps so bowl a fixed length, but obviously if there's a batsman there he either stands on, behind or in front of the crease depending on how confident/skilled he is. The thing I'm being told is to bowl in front of him just out of reach of his bat if he was to stretch his arm out and draw a line with the bat. So roughly about 5' in front of him?

But I think you really need to be quite clever and quick thinking and ready to adapt your bowling to how he reacts to it. Surely if you bowl this kind of length to a bloke that's trying to dominate the situation who's positioned with his back foot just inside the crease line he'll soon read your strategy and then step back and hit the ball off the back foot. It's the need to then recognise his change of approach and adapt your bowling to counteract it that I've only just realised is important. The thing is I'm having to concentrate on the real basics as I'm a learner that I don't think at this stage I can do both?

Do you blokes out there with more experience agree with this comment - does this make sense?

Mystery Spinner,

Middle and leg if your turning well. Off/just outside if your not.
Around the wicket you can get away with more leg-side as the angle helps slant it across to slips. But asomeblokecalleddave says you need to adjust depending on the batsmen's attitude and strengths.

Length = Invite them to drive. You really want them to try to come forward to you, opens up all the dismissals including stumpings. They are then also susceptible to varying bounce, turn. Playing back they can read off the pitch unless your very quick through the air.

You do need to adjust on high bouncing synthetic/concrete based pitches because the bounce for spinners can be steepling. Still trying to lure them forward but that might mean pitching even closer to the batsmen which can be dangerous to the nimble footed and confident.
But often the major adjustments needed on synthetic pitches are in field settings.

One other thing that I forgot to mention from my net practice y'day is that the few times I bowled full tosses was when I was not looking at the batsman's feet "at the time of releasing the ball" (although I started by my run up looking at the batsman's feet). So, it appears that it is very important to keep the head steady during entire action (just as it is important for a batsman to keep his head steady).

Regards,
rdev

Yes Dev,

U r head should be steady to observe the batsmen feet movement as if to pick up some signal or indication.
Practice a lot in the nets bowling to a batsmen.
"Spot Bowling" will also be good to develop ur bowling skills.

hi, the coach said i need a new strategy when batsmen attack me, im a natural flight bowler i always pitch it up, so when i get attacked i dont know wat to do, i cant fire it in because i just cant

You can practice a quicker ball in the nets. It doesn't have to be subtle, just don't rotate your wrist and bowl it as full as possible. Getting your front arm higher and making sure both arms complete the action will help you do bowl fuller and quicker respectively. If you struggle to get the wrist 'straight' behind the ball, as many leg spinners do, then try bowling an off break if you spot the batsman charging you, the different release can stunt his rhythm in the shot.

Or, you can bowl a [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDkf9uNXPQ]variation[/ame], especially the top spinner or flipper in your situation.

try slowing the ball up occasionally then ripping leg break and vary flight on the ball will help with that as well

you could always do what i do if i see the batsmen come down the pitch, just change your grip to a seamers grip a ball coming 15mph quicker than the batsman expects is always a good weapon or even surprise them, bowl a bouncer :laugh:

Yes Gundalf is right of throwing a bouncer :D
Batsmen to tend to charge against spinners by stepping out so the common thing we do is bowl short.
Which traps him for his free flowing shot and might get stumped :eek:
At least then for the next few deliveries batsmen will not step out.
Practicing in the nets will be very helpful.

Hi All,

Has any one discussed Leg Spin bowling from around the wicket (Right arm around).

If so can some one please discuss strategies, Line, Length.

I used to be a regular leg spinner (have a decent leg brake with variations of googli, topspinner and a cross seam fast delivery) I hardly ever used the around the wicket option untill about 9 momths ago.
and since then i've been getting I must confess great results but i am more erratic. I mean one game i take 5 wickets in a 8 ball over and the next game i go for 35-40 runs of 6 overs without getting a wicket.

It all started when I for first time played indoor cricket in last winter season and thought the rules and conditons suited around the wicket leg spin and I came out with results of 4 wickets for 7 runs in 3 overs with 6 of those uns coming in 3 wides that i bowled (each counting for 2 runs).

But since then I have not really been as consistent with my bowling as I would have liked. The trouble being the line I chose as some times my balls spin too much and some times to less. Also I tend to ball a bit more slow when bowling around the stumps.

Also will say this is a Great thread.

Regards

Ripping-LegBreak said:
so to fire the ball in i spin the ball down instead of spinning it up in the air and i release the ball later?

Yes that would definately upset the batsman's charge and would result in a miscue 9 times out of ten untill the batsman changes the shot midway (ie if you were not quick enough and give him time)

Or if the batsman charges put the ball too much on the off (which is easy to do for a leg spinner) or too much down the leg, it would be called a wide but the batsmen would be stumped. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back