Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

oh so dave your inability to bowl leg-breaks is actually a physical problem rather than a straight out mental "block" ? Hey, my suggestions helped me so i just threw them out there for anyone who is suffering from this.

can anyone explain the slider. terry jenners video is not really clear to me (when i tried it i couldn't get anywhere near the pitch). I dont see how u flick your wrist back while your arm is going the other way. could it cause injuries?

someblokecalleddave;318791 said:
Warney, mate - I do that all the time, oranges, apples, blocks of wood, potatoes anything - spin, spin, spin all the time.

I bowl some off-spin and I do exactly the same. I grab things and spin it like an off-spinner or a leg-spinner. I even do it when throwing the ball back to people, I click it in my fingers, let it bounce and get it spin back into them. Gotta love spinners.

On the leg break topic, I have a problem with release whenever I try a proper leg spinner. I can do a wrong'un, apparently, but when I try a normal, stock leggie I can't release it well. Any tips on that?

Hi everybody,

Off late i was occupied with my work and could not log in but i am surprised and happy to see a lot of notes and feedbacks by our fellow members.
Dave, I have checked ur blog spot and happy to see those indoor nets.
I hope u would now able to shoot and post ur bowling videos?

Dave,The guys u mentioned in ur blog about indian batsmen facing side on with head tucked onto their shoulder...Can u update mor on it..
I will try to post my batting video or photo after my practice tomorrow.
See if u can comment on the same?

My bowling from last few days has been ok with no quality balls available and should buy some new one.
I was tempting to buy a ball from UK just to experience those quality of balls.
Can u forward the pricing details?

Virender

Almost Warne;319013 said:
oh so dave your inability to bowl leg-breaks is actually a physical problem rather than a straight out mental "block" ? Hey, my suggestions helped me so i just threw them out there for anyone who is suffering from this.

can anyone explain the slider. terry jenners video is not really clear to me (when i tried it i couldn't get anywhere near the pitch). I dont see how u flick your wrist back while your arm is going the other way. could it cause injuries?

to bowl the slider you have to move your hand slightly past the biggest leg break you can bowl(the one with the horizontal seam) but then with your hand spin the ball slightly towards you so the seam looks like an off break ball(though its rotating the opposite way). It is really hard to get your head round i've been trying for 6 months on and off with it and still can only bowl it 1/3 times, the rest of the time i accidently bowl a to spinner

Right - Sliders first; I'm like you I've watched those videos and I can't make any sense of the slider. I bowl a variation where I hold the ball as a spinner should but then bowl it like a seamer would - straight - leaving my fingers on the seam till the last micro second so that it comes out spinning backwards. This one skids in low and fast. I don't bowl it that much and it's the nearest thing I've got to a slider. I've mentioned it before and others bowl the same ball noting that it's a weird ball as it hits the deck on the seam it reacts differently.

Virender With regards the Indian batsmen - I've just looked at some footage from the Eng/India game and so far haven't spotted this. Remember it was someone elses observation not particularly mine, but I thought I'd seen either Gambir or Sewag doing it, but as I said all the video footage I've looked at since I've not spotted it. It'll be interesting to see how you bat Virender and yeah as soon as I get in the nets next week I'll try and shoot some video. I would have done tomorrow but I've left my camera at work.

look 4ward to viewing ur net session dave,

on the issue of the slider: i find it the easiest variation to bowl thats why i normall bowl it insted of the flipper as the flipper isnt realiable to me as it may be for you.
hold the bowl in the air like ur about to bowl a top spinner but insted of bringing ur hand down towards the batmen so the ball spins up creating topspin you should move your hand backwards(right)"sliding" the ball out of the front of the hand in the top spin hand postion except ur moving your wrist a different way hence terry jenner saying its the reverse of a top spinner, this creates backspin.

sorry if tht confused you just that its alot easier to show someone then explain lol but i did my best.

dave whilst ur at the nets can u just do a little tutorial on grip etc.. on ur glipper i would really lyk to see how its bowled, thanks

Leggie - that makes sense now I think. (Slider), I kind of sounds like what I'm doing???

I haven't got my camera with me at the minute left it at work yesterday - it's in a box, anyone could nick it and it's worth 300 quid! But yeah I reckon I could do that some time, maybe remind me again later in the week. I'll see if I can find the blog entry with the gipper pics in my own blog.

Here's the link http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2008/04/rain.html

It's the same finger and thumb technique as the flipper but you twist your wrist and arm round anti-clockwise 180 degrees as though you're bowling a wrong un and then squeeze out of your finders. The bats sees your hand in the position as in these images. It's not easy, but recently it seems to be coming together for me and working surprisingly well. The only downside is that the bat can see it and will know that it's going to spin viciously like a big leg break. But I reckon with some practice I could get it to go straight and just bounce really good?

:Dsweet, yeah wah i ment to say was a tutorial on lyk any variation of the flipper as i hav trouble understanding its variations including the glipper.

and yeah ur slider does sound kind of correct so your probs bowling it right already :) i just fort ill try explain it for others tht want to understand lol, i hope ur camera stays safe till you go back, im off for tonyt i got footy in the morning id rather much prefer cricket in the warm indoor nets tho lol.

If I was to shoot a tutorial thing on the flipper it'd be pretty much the same as you see Warne and Jenner doing other than the fact that I'd then turn my arm right round and do a demo on the Gipper! I will do it though because it is a weird ball and if you've read some of blogging or recent stuff on the forum here our coach at G&CCC seems to be interested in looking at it some more!

there seem to be so many ways of bowling the slider the one i described is the one jenner demonstrates in his 5 deliveries video, which I think is also philpott descirbes as an orthodox backspinner.

The one leggielaw describes seem to be more akin to a offies topspinner except you release it from a legbreak position. Then the one that dave described is also one that I bowl that is exactly as a zooter is described but you roll your fingers down the ball to give it backspin instead of no spin, this delivery is great for getting the ball to swing or seam as well as skid.

Then there are even 2 more that warne and macgill used to use warne just used to scramble a leg break so that it landed on the side of the ball, maybe with some backspin maybe not.
Macgill's i've seen footage of but I can't seem to figure it out as the footage isn't that great quality.

dave i've also had a go at the gipper it is really hard to land though it does drift and spin but is really hard to bowl with a straight arm and land it on the pitch

Gundalf - Mate! You're trying the Gipper - Good work! Yeah it's gonna take time, I almost gave up on it in the summer as it wasn't going anywhere, I couldn't get it to turn or even get it up the wicket, but for some odd reason it's just suddenly come good. As you probably know I've not even been practicing for the last month and a half cos of the weather, but the session in the nets on Thursday was brilliant as it all came together perfectly. The only thing I can think of is that I've been doing loads of exercise on core strength, shoulders and upper arms and possibly I've got it together with the follow through having been studying that David Freedman/Beau Casson video clip?

Yeah - keep at it, I'll have to get some footage of it because it spins mental, I've never seen a ball spin like it in my life, but until Thursday mine had loads of issues so you're probably going to have to persevere with it.

yeah i'm having a play around with alot of deliveries at the moment, see if any of them are worth practicing a bit more so I can have a few more ready for the start of the season, had a go with various off break grips, flipper variations and the doosra but trying mainly to keep my leg break up and get the proper backspinner going

I'm kind of looking at the idea of keeping things simple and mixing things up with length, flight & speed. In the nets I bowled a lot of Flippers as these are one of my more accurate balls and I can get them to turn towards the off-side like a leg break. My wrong un wasn't working that well and it's the ball I want to bowl less of, so that's why I resorted to bowling the Gipper. So using just those 2 I bowled different lengths, flight and speeds and would have taken shed loads of wickets drawing the bat down the track and getting him stumped. So that's what I'll be doing tomorrow in the nets - keeping it fairly simple conceding some runs to get them to come out of the crease and then trying to get the ball past them to the wicket keeper. The reports I've had from different batsmen is that my bowling is dead tricky to play against.

W'hey I've been bowling leg breaks! This is from my main blog at www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com

Leg Break; Then later I was bowling at Thomas and he's left handed so my googlies are not that good against him - for some reason he could deal with them easily, so I reverted to trying the Leg Break and it came good even on the particularly unresponsive mats. I was surprised at how good they were faster and bouncier than most of my other balls and it seemed to be the key to bowling them was the straight hand and the spread fingers making sure the 3rd finger was very much a key part of the grip. It requires that when I place the ball in my hand I put the 3rd finger on the seam first and the rest follow pretty much all spread out quite wide. Doing this it worked exceptionally well, so it looks like I maybe getting the Leg Break?

Cheers Simon I will do and I'm managing to get to my teams nets as well and they've got a coach and he's confirmed that the technique and approach that I'm using with the Leg Break will bring success if I keep at it, so that's really encouraging.

Good to hear that your leg break is coming together, Dave.

My bowling has improved slightly: I'm usually releasing a bit later, I've got much more energy through the crease(it still needs a lot of work though), and I can bowl a little further now; however it is still way short of a full pitch length.

Things that I'm working on:

Energy through the crease and follow through: while they are considerably better than before, they are far from ideal. The lack of energy probably has a lot to do with that I tend to slow my action down just before I pull my non-bowling arm down; I seem to lack confidence in my ability to complete the bowling action at high speed. My follow through is extremely inconsistent: sometimes I follow through okay, with a nice pivot, and my bowling arm coming right around over my left hip, other times I seem to just forget to do it.

Keeping my head still: my head tends to move around a lot causing my bowling to become extremely inaccurate; I think it may also affecting my follow through, as most of the time when I don't have any follow through, my head is falling away to the on-side.

And bowling distance of course, but that is probably not going to improve much until I get more energy through the crease.

EOW, it'll come together eventually. You have to really concentrate on what you're doing and perhaps focu on getting one bit right at a time, so if you're follow through practice messes up some of your accuracy and length don't be too worried, just keep at it. I've got to say I went to my sons training sessions this week and was watching the 11 + age group kids bowling and most of them were terrible with regards their follow through and drive through the crease, yet no-one seemed to be picking up on it (Coaches). I don't know if at that age they leave that aspect of their training or what? To be honest the club they're with (My sons) seems to focus massively on batting. They have an incredibly weak bowling attack and when my sons joined I think they strengthened their bowling straight away!

With my own leg break - I reckon I will get it to the point that I'll be able to bowl it in matches by April - but it does take massive focus and concentration because it does still feel massively un-natural, but yeah I'm getting there!

lol past few days have been brilliant no school thanks to the huge snow fall in hertfordshire.
I even started to put leg spin on the snowballs i was throwing, trying to get them to dip onto the persons head lol maybe im obssessed:D lol

but with the snow i wont b able to get to the outdoor nets and play on them as i usually do, so ive stocked up on snowballs in my garden to last me haha :)

hows the snow been in ur areas in the Uk lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back