Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Sounds like you're on the right track. I've got to admit that I don't get the blistered finger thing so perhaps I'm not spinning the ball as hard as those that get blisters? Glad you saw the David Freedman video - I reckon it's one of the best resources on the internet.

on the subject of drift...

i was up at the nets yesterday afternoon, it had been raining all day and the pitch was very wet. it was still raining occasionally whilst we were up there practicing. wind was blowing initially but it died down.

so i was bowling leg breaks, there was zero grip on the surface and the ball wasnt turning at all and skidding straight on. you could spin the ball on the spot, and normally it would grip the ground and shoot away. instead it was hitting the ground and bouncing straight up, still spinning lol

anyway, to the point. my leg breaks were spinning IN to a right hander!! my brother was saying that the ball was spinning all over the place, i replied "no its not, its just going straight", and he said it was coming back in at him by quite a lot, which is obviously the opposite of what im aiming for lol.

so i examined my action, it was all fine, i wasnt bowling googlies by accident. i couldnt figure it out. so i just tried to bowl consistently the same ball, and we worked out that it was moving in flight such that as it hit the pitch it was angled and was then skidding straight at this new angle (hence going in towards the bastman as opposed to away like i wanted it to). so i started varying the spin, and the more i generated, the more it came back in. the only explanation being that the ball was generating lots of drift!

ive got no idea on the specifics of it, i understand the physics behind it but not the application of it in actual bowling. but it seems that if there is lots of moisture in the air all you require to generate drift is lots of sideways revs on the ball. it would make sense that more overspin would then also generate dip. so a ball with side and overspin would drift and dip. which kind of makes sense really. id imagine that it comes down a lot to weather conditions in much the same way as swing bowling. if the ball isnt doing anything and the conditions arent right then i dont know that you could artificially generate drift. shane warne was obviously so good at it because of the amount of spin he could put on the ball!

Virendersingh.berthwal;355283 said:
Dave,

I have checked the bowling video of "Leg spin is my life"...if u pause at 1:46 mins then u will see his whole body movement...
His lower body is not in line with his upper body...like his lower body is positioned for off spin and upper body for leg spin....the toes are pointing towards fine leg...which is wrong and should be pointing towards first slip at least.
Can u check and comment on the same...

Virender

Virender I'll have a look but you're getting way too technical for me!

I read the Philpott book again today - the section on drift and it sounds as though because I bowl generally slow and loopy as Leggie Law says it's not going to be travelling fast enough to get drift. At the minute I've got an injured elbow so I'm not practicing as frequently and as hard that I normally would - but if the arm feels okay some time this week I'll try and get out at some point and bowl a bit faster and see if I can spot any drift.

someblokecalleddave;355314 said:
Sounds like you're on the right track. I've got to admit that I don't get the blistered finger thing so perhaps I'm not spinning the ball as hard as those that get blisters? Glad you saw the David Freedman video - I reckon it's one of the best resources on the internet.
maybe you have spun a callous on the spinning finger? The loose grip as used by Warne can be easier on your finger than the "hold it as tight as you can method" that used to be coached.

i made some great progress today! the surface in the nets had dried back out from the sun, and finally im getting my leg breaks to turn on concrete, some of them are turning BIG! my line and length is still poor, but improving all the time. ive done a load of work on my follow through, and my body is rotating a lot more powerfully now and im generating much more rip on the ball. leg breaks are turning anything from 6" upto about 4 feet. my big leg break (90 degree seam, even backwards of 90 degrees) is gripping! which it never was before. if i could control the pitch of the ball better then it wouldnt be out of the question for me to bowl someone behind their legs i think!! as it is i cant land the ball within 2 feet of my target on a consistent basis, let alone on a penny as id need to for a "ball of the century" delivery lol.

im massively pleased at the progress. ive also found, by accident when i released a ball badly out of the hand, that i can generate just as much turn with a gentle finger/wrist action (e.g. less revs on the ball from the hand) and a more precise action and follow through, than i can when i absolutely rip the ball out of the hand but get the body action wrong. this is making practice much easier as i can focus less on generating spin with my hand, adopt a nice relaxed grip (Shane Warne always says this is key anyway, as a relaxed grip means a more flowing action), and then focus more on my overall action. but at the same time the ball is still spinning lots off the pitch so i am able to play around with line and length whilst still seeing what the spin does.

another week or 2 of practice and progress like this and il have to try and get myself video'd so i can get some more suggestions and pointers i think :D

Macca I'm a loose holder of the ball and tonight I noticed that I vary the position that the ball sits in the fingers and tonight I was getting a load of turn off the wicket with a very high position in the fingers, so maybe I vary the position so much that I simply don't wear any part of the fingers enough to get blisters. The only time I ever noticed that the fingers were coming in for a bit of a pounding was back in Nov when I was trying to get over the Googly Syndrome. I went through a few sessions where I was really gripping the ball hard and really trying to rip it off the 3rd finger and I remember coming away from the session with a sore finger and feeling really satisfied as I realised it meant that I was getting somewhere.

Good work, I think that recognising that getting the fingers and wrist working correctly without having to put a massive amount of energy into ripping the ball is a maor break through. If you get the whole thing together correctly and the whole action is smooth it's kind of like a whip, there's the whole smooth thing taking a little bit of energy that goes through the body but then with correct technique like a whip it rips out of the fingers and wrist at the very end? If you can get that affect it's just practice with your line and length and it'll all come together nicely. You'll know when you're getting it right because you'll feel and hear it snapping off your fingers as the balls released.

someblokecalleddave;355145 said:
This is for legspinismylife...........

YouTube - legspin

I reckon some of the others on Big Cricket should have a look at this as well.

1. Your run in is too long and you're zig-zagging all over the place as you run in and then you look off balance as you deliver the ball.
2. The leading arm looks kind of superficial as though it's not being used to drive the delivery through the rotation.
3. The leg that should come up and round the leg you rotate looks weak through the action too.

I reckon you should look at the David Freedman video on youtube and examine that closely. Do the one step drills that are on there including the exaggerated step over drill. Macca on Big Cricket told me at the start of my Leg Break recovery that this leg that lifts up and over should do so to the point where you actually kick your backside as the leg comes up over and round the pivoting leg.

On reflection and from memory legspinismylife should maybe straighten his approach, still come in at an angle but straighter and closer to the stumps. And maybe the arm is too perpendicular for the legbreak and should be more roundarm.
But there is lots of potential in legspinismylife's bowling. Virender may have found one of his problems. Footwork. I would like to see another clip in 6 months once he makes a few changes because I reckon he will develop into a very good leg spin bowler.

someblokecalleddave;355933 said:
Good work, I think that recognising that getting the fingers and wrist working correctly without having to put a massive amount of energy into ripping the ball is a maor break through. If you get the whole thing together correctly and the whole action is smooth it's kind of like a whip, there's the whole smooth thing taking a little bit of energy that goes through the body but then with correct technique like a whip it rips out of the fingers and wrist at the very end? If you can get that affect it's just practice with your line and length and it'll all come together nicely. You'll know when you're getting it right because you'll feel and hear it snapping off your fingers as the balls released.

not hearing or feeling the snapping yet. but i could hear the ball rotating through the air. i figured that was a pretty good sign!! kind of like a whoosh-whoosh-whoosh sound. and without wanting to come across as arrogant im finding i can present the seam almost perfectly every ball. aside from the ones that come out totally wrong and double bounce or go 6 feet wide, pretty much every other delivery the seam is exactly where i want it to be, and dead upright. no wobble or scramble.

i need to get the line and length next. thats the focus of all my attention now i think. also i need to increase the pace on the ball. i know i shouldnt be paying attention to what a batsman can do against my deliveries at this point, but when a very weak batsman with no shot variation is able to slog your absolute best deliveries, there is still a lot of work to do! i managed to completely beat my brother with a few today though, he had no idea where the ball had gone. his main criticism is that there is so little pace on the ball that he can just watch it bounce most balls and still have enough time to choose a slog shot. a good batsman would tear it apart. on the other hand he is playing in the nets with zero pressure and all he can do is hit big. so i guess that style of batting would rarely ever arise in a match situation, and if it does its to my advantage once i can choose my line and length!!

Virendersingh.berthwal;355283 said:
Dave,

I have checked the bowling video of "Leg spin is my life"...if u pause at 1:46 mins then u will see his whole body movement...
His lower body is not in line with his upper body...like his lower body is positioned for off spin and upper body for leg spin....the toes are pointing towards fine leg...which is wrong and should be pointing towards first slip at least.
Can u check and comment on the same...

Virender

Have a look at this - this is me YouTube - rotation analysis 001 My action through the crease isn't that good by all accounts and may have changed in the last couple of months since this, but I don't think it has? Look at how high the foot comes up behind me, almost doing the 'Arse kick' thing as that leg comes round the pivoting leg. I think generally there's a lot of people that say that it's essential that the leg that comes round has a good high step through action and coaches get learners to step over an object to reinforce this action. Try that and see how you get on? Don't try and do too many things at once. I'd look at this and straightening and shortening you run in - look at Shane Warne for instance 8 steps and it's only the last three where he picks up the pace to power through the crease.

See I can't do that at all - get the ball to audibly fizz. I often wonder whether the amount of spin I put on the ball is minimal (Although it does turn well)? It maybe an age thing I just can flick the ball enough to get it to fizz like that.

Jim - I would try and bowl on your own a lot more without a batsman. You've got to realise that they don't act like batsmen in the nets because they can always get another go and another etc. Whereas if they're in the game for real and know that every time you throw a ball at em there's the chance that you're going to be sending em back to the sheds and they are usually crapping their pants when they realise you're a Wrist Spinner. Although they're going to be giving it the biggun "Oh yeah I'll come down the track and I'll hit it on the bounce to spinners - I love playing spinners" etc. They all say that it's a part of the psychology of the game. Maybe make it more real with your brother make it so that if you bowl him he has to give you a quid or a fiver so that he then has to play with more intensity - you'll soon see a difference if he suddenly has to lose something that's equivalent to his wicket. Grimmett would always bowl on his own, he would never let a batsman have the chance to learn his game and work him out.

With regards the 'Good batsman will tear you apart' that's nonesense that's just him being a batsman. By the sounds of it if you get your line and length sussed you're going to be a good bowler if you're spinning it as much as you say. Mate I bowl slow - real slow, but at the minute I'm the statistically the best bowler in my team - and it's just because of the line and length and the fact that I bowl the ball and turn it both ways and have a top-spinner and a back-spinner, but most of the wickets are from my bog standard but accurate Leg Break so tell your batsman brother to shut up and get back to the sheds!

macca;355324 said:
On reflection and from memory legspinismylife should maybe straighten his approach, still come in at an angle but straighter and closer to the stumps. And maybe the arm is too perpendicular for the legbreak and should be more roundarm.
But there is lots of potential in legspinismylife's bowling. Virender may have found one of his problems. Footwork. I would like to see another clip in 6 months once he makes a few changes because I reckon he will develop into a very good leg spin bowler.

I don't think he looks bad either, looks very promising, just needs to tweak things here and there as suggested.

Hey boys.

I went to the nets the other day, and was bowling this weird ball. As I bowled, my wrist would deliver the ball from the reverse of putting your hand out to gesture 'stop', so the back of my hand faced the batsman.

I would have all four fingers along the seam, with the seam being sideways. As I delivered the ball, I would flick my wrist towards the batsman from the position described above, and would run all of my fingers heavily down the ball. This created heaps of spin going straight, but towards the batsman.

I have a feeling that it may have been a slider or zooter, but it could just be a weird ball.

If you get my description, maybe you guys could try it out and see what you think?

Virendersingh.berthwal said:

May I ask who told you that? It is wrong. The front foot has to point to the leg-side to allow a full rotation. Look at any decent leg-spinner. Their front foot will always land pointing to the leg side.

I agree that his lower and upper body are possibly out of alignment(I'm not certain though, I would get Liz to look at it). If they are out of alignment it is not the fault of his foot pointing to the leg-side. It would be a problem to do with where he positions his upper body. You can bowl a non-mixed action perfectly fine with a landing foot that points to the leg-side.

Do you mean that as your arm comes over you rotate your wrist clockwise so it comes out of the fingers with a flick but just as you do the flick you would see the back of the hand? So it looks a bit like a Doosra?

The Edge Of Willow;355339 said:
May I ask who told you that? It is wrong. The front foot has to point to the leg-side to allow a full rotation. Look at any decent leg-spinner. Their front foot will always land pointing to the leg side.

I agree that his lower and upper body are possibly out of alignment(I'm not certain though, I would get Liz to look at it). If they are out of alignment it is not the fault of his foot pointing to the leg-side. It would be a problem to do with where he positions his upper body. You can bowl a non-mixed action perfectly fine with a landing foot that points to the leg-side.

Yeah I was wondering about that too- left toe pointing to first slip, with the other toe pointing perpendicular to the pitch is very difficult not to mention off-putting to the rhythm. But I did notice that straighter the toe, the more you need to rotate, ergo more action into the ball.

breeno;356017 said:
Hey boys.

I went to the nets the other day, and was bowling this weird ball. As I bowled, my wrist would deliver the ball from the reverse of putting your hand out to gesture 'stop', so the back of my hand faced the batsman.

I would have all four fingers along the seam, with the seam being sideways. As I delivered the ball, I would flick my wrist towards the batsman from the position described above, and would run all of my fingers heavily down the ball. This created heaps of spin going straight, but towards the batsman.

I have a feeling that it may have been a slider or zooter, but it could just be a weird ball.

If you get my description, maybe you guys could try it out and see what you think?

sounds like a variation of a offies top spinner if u turned ur wrist abit more you would have the doosra. it should hit the pitch and straighten a handy variation for a off spinner.

Not such a good day today. When I eventaully got my over/s I had the task of bowling out 8 or 9 blokes with them looking for only 4 more runs to win. Needless to say I failed. More of this later once I've written up my blog.

Na boys it's the other way. When I bowl it, my wrist goes anti clockwise so my palm faces the batsman, my little finger is closer to my head, with my thumb being on the other side.

So, try and think of the opposite to what you were thinking.:p

Hey guys, Im 16 years old and i play in the U18 league for my club and this season i've been struggling for wickets, Ive only played two matches though and i think i've bowled reasonably but I just want wickets. I've seen fellow spinners bowl ( offies) and they've picked up a few wickets. In total i've bowled 6 wicketless overs for 25 runs in 2 20/20 matches. Tommorows i have a game tommorow and Im becoming impatient. Batsmen just seem to defend the ball and if it's outside off they leave it. Some balls which are good balls just beat the bat and don't seem to come of the edge. The only ball i have is a stock legbreak and i'm not really experienced in varying flight and speed so I need a way to get wickets.

It's almost like I'm bowling a wrongun, yet my grip on the ball is different, and I drag my fingers down.

That's a tricky one that Macca may have to help out with as he's the one with the experience. I faced a batsman last week that just defended my Leg Breaks for 9 overs. If I'd stuck at that I'd have conceded less runs but I explored what he was like on the Leg side and was hit for a few. I think probably you've just got to keep plugging away with your Leg Break looking for him to get frustrated, surely in T20 cricket he's got to be looking to make runs so at some point in 6 overs he's got to have a go? In the longer term you'll have to look at learning the Top Spinner at least to give you another option.

i wonder if anyone can offer me any advice...

im a novice leg spinner, ive been spinning a ball between my hands for years, i used to mess around with friends and family playing with a tennis ball in the garden and i always bowled leg spin. but ive only just started practicing with a real cricket ball in the nets. so my wrist and finger action is pretty good, but the rest of my technique is well below par. but practice makes perfect right?

anyway, my issue (well, the biggest one) is that the nets i practice at use a slab of concrete covered in green carpet type stuff as the wicket. its super hard and generates almost no turn and exaggerates the bounce. bowling a stock leg break tends to result in almost no lateral movement at all, and my brother who is a fairly sub standard batsman (he doesnt play for a team, neither do i, yet) who only plays slog shots, hits me miles just about every time. occasionally i can get a ball to rip, but my biggest leg break will only move around a foot off the pitch.

ive tried bowling a few balls on the grass wicket, i dont like to because its not my pitch to use and i dont want to do any damage, and the ball generates a lot more turn with a more sensible amount of bounce. which makes me think that my bowling might be going somewhere. but when i can only practice on a concrete slab im not learning anything about my game.

i was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how i can improve the usefulness of my practicing, and get a better idea of whether my leg breaks are actually working? im trying my best to avoid the temptation of bowling variations, but ive been bowling flippers, sliders and toppers for years with a tennis ball on grass so they come quite naturally in terms of the bowling action (accuracy is another story however lol). the occasional topper or flipper i throw in will spin a lot more off the pitch, i can generate more lateral movement on a slightly sideways spun topper (maybe 10-20 degrees off straight) than i can on a leg break, even when i get a leg break with loads of spin and a perfect 90 degree seam. which makes me wonder if maybe i should stop trying to bowl the leg breaks so big, and should go for maybe a 45-60 degree seam on concrete? i need to adjust my action so that i dont bowl so far down the leg side as well. youd think it would be as simple as aiming slightly differently, but i try that and my arm just seems to compensate and the ball still goes leg side.

im rambling a bit, i dont really have a lot of purpose to this post, other than to see how other people go about practicing on concrete i guess. im considering maybe trying an incrediball instead of a real cricket ball to see if that behaves more naturally off of a hard surface?

any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

someblokecalleddave;356096 said:
Nope I'm totally baffled! But if it works who cares! What's your line and length like with it?

It drags a bit short.

Like you're bowling a wrongun, but with the seam in the position a fast bowler would have it if bowling cross seam, and when you bowl, drag you're fingers down towards you, almost imparting top spin. The ball is spinning towards the batsman.

Ripping-LegBreak;355463 said:
Hey guys, Im 16 years old and i play in the U18 league for my club and this season i've been struggling for wickets, Ive only played two matches though and i think i've bowled reasonably but I just want wickets. I've seen fellow spinners bowl ( offies) and they've picked up a few wickets. In total i've bowled 6 wicketless overs for 25 runs in 2 20/20 matches. Tommorows i have a game tommorow and Im becoming impatient. Batsmen just seem to defend the ball and if it's outside off they leave it. Some balls which are good balls just beat the bat and don't seem to come of the edge. The only ball i have is a stock legbreak and i'm not really experienced in varying flight and speed so I need a way to get wickets.
Those figures look like you are doing a good job for your team ripping leg break. You mention impatience so you are aware of it but you must concentrate with patience and the wickets will surely follow a good economy rate such as yours. I would be worried if you had gone for a lot of runs.
Maybe you should try to get the topspinner or some other straight ball to throw in with the legbreaks?
Hope you have a good game today.

Jim2109;355466 said:
i wonder if anyone can offer me any advice...

im a novice leg spinner, ive been spinning a ball between my hands for years, i used to mess around with friends and family playing with a tennis ball in the garden and i always bowled leg spin. but ive only just started practicing with a real cricket ball in the nets. so my wrist and finger action is pretty good, but the rest of my technique is well below par. but practice makes perfect right?

anyway, my issue (well, the biggest one) is that the nets i practice at use a slab of concrete covered in green carpet type stuff as the wicket. its super hard and generates almost no turn and exaggerates the bounce. bowling a stock leg break tends to result in almost no lateral movement at all, and my brother who is a fairly sub standard batsman (he doesnt play for a team, neither do i, yet) who only plays slog shots, hits me miles just about every time. occasionally i can get a ball to rip, but my biggest leg break will only move around a foot off the pitch.

ive tried bowling a few balls on the grass wicket, i dont like to because its not my pitch to use and i dont want to do any damage, and the ball generates a lot more turn with a more sensible amount of bounce. which makes me think that my bowling might be going somewhere. but when i can only practice on a concrete slab im not learning anything about my game.

i was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how i can improve the usefulness of my practicing, and get a better idea of whether my leg breaks are actually working? im trying my best to avoid the temptation of bowling variations, but ive been bowling flippers, sliders and toppers for years with a tennis ball on grass so they come quite naturally in terms of the bowling action (accuracy is another story however lol). the occasional topper or flipper i throw in will spin a lot more off the pitch, i can generate more lateral movement on a slightly sideways spun topper (maybe 10-20 degrees off straight) than i can on a leg break, even when i get a leg break with loads of spin and a perfect 90 degree seam. which makes me wonder if maybe i should stop trying to bowl the leg breaks so big, and should go for maybe a 45-60 degree seam on concrete? i need to adjust my action so that i dont bowl so far down the leg side as well. youd think it would be as simple as aiming slightly differently, but i try that and my arm just seems to compensate and the ball still goes leg side.

im rambling a bit, i dont really have a lot of purpose to this post, other than to see how other people go about practicing on concrete i guess. im considering maybe trying an incrediball instead of a real cricket ball to see if that behaves more naturally off of a hard surface?

any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

We normally can get the ball to turn on the concrete with the matting on top. But sometimes if it is slightly wet it wont turn.
Are you bowling topspinners by accident? I have to go now but I will come back with some ideas later on mate.

hey guys went nets today recorded a few balls jus so you guys could take a look at my action,
could only video 3 balls lol because i used up all my memory on pictures but soon as i upload my pictures ill make a bettr vid!

YouTube - Leg spin bowling

:) thanks

p.s hope you like the audio haha, oh and friend kept having to move camera because he sat behind leg stump -.-

Jim have a look at one of my blogs here - Wrist Spin Bowling: Diary in the winter I bowl on concrete/tarmac surfaces and I use plastic hockey balls (see the blog 15th Nov). I use a the Hockey balls all the time just outside my house rather than go over to a field. But I reckon if you're bowling on mats over concrete and you're getting it to turn you're probably doing well.

With regards your brother it's obvious that he's going to get used to your bowling so don't get put off by that. I'd suggest you do your serious training without your brother there and just practice on your line and length. Get some kind of marker and put in the place that you want to bowl onto - I use a couple of balls and as long as I can land it on the line give or take a few inches and between the balls I'm happy (See the link). Hope that helps?

What country do you live in?

do you mean top spinners by accident when im trying to spin leg breaks? id say no, i can see the seam as it goes down the wicket and its usually a perfect 90 degrees (e.g spinning totally sideways) or very close to it. occasionally it has some overspin as well but never much. i have control over my wrist to impart more or less overspin though, next time i practice this is something i am going to play with to see if more overspin works better on the hard surface. the matting has been 100% dry every time ive practiced so far (i only started a couple of weeks ago) as England has had a heatwave lately with no rain at all until the past couple of days.

if you meant am i top spinning by accident when im bowling toppers, then again no, i can consciously bowl top spinners and occasionally do. but im trying not to, i need to figure out leg breaks first. no point running before i can walk.

leggielaw;356220 said:
hey guys went nets today recorded a few balls jus so you guys could take a look at my action,
could only video 3 balls lol because i used up all my memory on pictures but soon as i upload my pictures ill make a bettr vid!

YouTube - Leg spin bowling

:) thanks

p.s hope you like the audio haha, oh and friend kept having to move camera because he sat behind leg stump -.-

Your mate did a good job considering he was in the line of fire! I reckon it's not bad and pretty accurate too if you're getting it consistently there. I noted the planks in front of your stumps, are you getting the ball in between those planks for good length as that looks like a good idea. To me it looks okay, I can't see that there's any problem there at all, again a lot of people go on about actions and stuff but when you look at the differences in peoples actions Grimmett, Paul Adams (Frog in a Blender style) and Richie Benuad for instance they all bowl leg spin and they're all completely different. So I would say if what you're doing works for you stick with it. It's when it causes problems and you know there's a problem that's when you need to start looking at your action and try modifying it.

someblokecalleddave;355470 said:
Jim have a look at one of my blogs here - Wrist Spin Bowling: Diary in the winter I bowl on concrete/tarmac surfaces and I use plastic hockey balls (see the blog 15th Nov). I use a the Hockey balls all the time just outside my house rather than go over to a field. But I reckon if you're bowling on mats over concrete and you're getting it to turn you're probably doing well.

With regards your brother it's obvious that he's going to get used to your bowling so don't get put off by that. I'd suggest you do your serious training without your brother there and just practice on your line and length. Get some kind of marker and put in the place that you want to bowl onto - I use a couple of balls and as long as I can land it on the line give or take a few inches and between the balls I'm happy (See the link). Hope that helps?

What country do you live in?

im in England, Basingstoke to be precise. what kind of hockey balls do you use, i seem to remember from school that they were either bouncy rubber or rock solid plastic? or air balls with loads of holes in, im guessing its not that type, hard to tell from the pictures in your blog.

maybe il have to try practicing more on my own. i like having a batsman there because it means less walking to retrieve the ball after every delivery! also the nets have holes at the back in some places, with fields behind them. if the ball gets through and nobody is there to spot where it lands its potentially several feet inside shoulder high crops!! i like the idea of setting some markers down though and aiming to land the ball in a specific place. what is a good length for leg spin? relative to the batsmans crease?

Jim, I use different hockey balls slazenger brand and Atta - the Atta ones are better on concrete as they have a more realistic bounce. I think I now know the kind of surface you're working with. It sounds as though you're being to harsh on yourself at the minute and if you were given the chance to bowl against someone other than your brother on a real cricket pitch or two you'd get some real sense of how well you were doing or not doing? You have to realise cricket pitches respond in all sorts of different ways, some bounce and turn others offer no turn whatsoever or no bounce. Others are pitted with holes you can bowl into later in the season, some are dust bowls and then when it's been raining they change in characteristics again. So just as long as you can put the ball on the length and line that you choose and bowl a leg break be it a biggun or a small turning one you're going to start to take wickets in a game situation. You've got to realise that if you get to do this in a team it's a war out there and a little bit of confidence, skill and control goes a very long way in the battle and you're quite likely to win.

I'd say while the weathers good buy yourself 12 of those crap davidson cricket balls off off ebay, get yourself a set of stumps, find a playing field that's relatively flat or a cricket pitch and set up on the outfield and start chucking the balls, it doesn't have to be the wicket, normally cricket pitches are reasonably flat and counicl owned and no-one minds you practicing on the outfield. If you're worried go and see the teams that play there at the weekend and ask if you can practice on the outfield? Then chuck your 12 balls back and forth one end to the other and monitor your results and bit by bit correct and improve through self evaluation.

Good line is the middle and off-stump and a few inches wide of it. Length is 3-5 yards in front of the stumps.

Hi leggielaw,

Watched ur video and looks good..
Nice leg spin practice u have got....leg spin above the batsmen's eye level...good spin as well....if u invite the batsmen for a drive...chances are that he might fall for it...i also notice u have a smooth run-up and action...good one....
Dave,Notice his front leg's toe direction at the time of delivery...his body looks at ease while bowling...what do u feel?

Maintain the line and length and keep up the practice and post more videos as welll....we will appreciate the same...just tell ur friend to stand at the left side rather than standing behind the stumps....so he can be safe as well...
Keep up the practice...Best of luck...keep us posted...

In reference to you leg spin guide, is it possible to incorprate the big leg break into your actual bowling

Kind Regards

ToeGuy4u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back