Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

True, I think another thing that could be an issue is falling over in the action.

Yeah I have the same problem, I normally just focus on tensing my core a bit more and trying to stay upright.

I don’t have any kind of coaching training and I do find a lot of fixes for something tend to let some other issues sneak in. They’re normally an easy fix but you have to be careful to notice any issues that come up.

Had my semi and grand final for my clubs mid year T20 comp on Saturday.

We won both .

Bowled 3 overs in both matches, 0-14(3) in the semi and 1-13(3) in grand final.

Both times I bowled my first over for less than 4 runs and the next over we took a wicket first ball.

I have become really good at just being a pain in the ass to get away, probably because no one has any respect for off spin in net training so I know how to make it really difficult to score off me.

The wicket was bowled to a left hander that I had almost milked an entire maiden over off the over before. Bowled a fast arm ball that he tried to sweep and was just too late on it and lost his middle stump.

The pitch was quite slow and I managed to get some very good spin, although our really good spinner wasn’t getting as much as he usually does. Strange.

Had my semi and grand final for my clubs mid year T20 comp on Saturday.

We won both .

Bowled 3 overs in both matches, 0-14(3) in the semi and 1-13(3) in grand final.

Both times I bowled my first over for less than 4 runs and the next over we took a wicket first ball.

I have become really good at just being a pain in the ass to get away, probably because no one has any respect for off spin in net training so I know how to make it really difficult to score off me.

The wicket was bowled to a left hander that I had almost milked an entire maiden over off the over before. Bowled a fast arm ball that he tried to sweep and was just too late on it and lost his middle stump.

The pitch was quite slow and I managed to get some very good spin, although our really good spinner wasn’t getting as much as he usually does. Strange.

Really solid performance man, sounds like your bowling went a long way towards the win.

Really solid performance man, sounds like your bowling went a long way towards the win.

Thanks.

Really funny stat, but the real good spinner I mentioned only bowls wrong’uns. Really smart and skilful bowler.

He has a bowling average of 3.75 over the whole 4 match + 2 finals T20 comp. Insanity.

And hopefully I’ve broken my curse, that grand final wicket was the first B grade wicket I’ve taken this season. Let’s hope it carries on into the rest of the season.

Anyone in Perth that want to train together. I think synthetic turf has turned me into a fast spinner. I bowled 26 overs for 47 last week and got only 1 wicket off a full toss. Feeling very demoralised, need to go back to giving it air. If anyone wants to assist and help each other in perth let me know.
Mate if I could I would. little problem I'm in the UK!

My bowling starts 3:35:49, not the best camera angle but it'll do. I end up bowling 10 overs, 1/51, and a runout caused by a decent stop when the batsmen crunched it back to me. Figures kinda blew out in the last over unfortunately, where before after 9 overs I was 1/39.

Regarding the skip, I eradicated it in training but it just made my accuracy go all over the place, so obviously I had to revert back to the old style in order to bowl alright in a game. However I found the front foot to fine leg thing an easy fix that didn't mess up my accuracy so I've got that going in this game. Will see if my accuracy improves without the skip during the lengthy christmas break, should have enough time to get it right.
Just watched the whole lot and drew a rough approximation of your lengths you bowled. You need to work on avoiding the shorter balls, which I'm sure you're more than aware of, its those that go for 4's and the six, I think for the most part your fielders backed up and you had a bloke in the deep for that slog sweep through 45 ish and they were kept to singles? Do you do accuracy drills trying to work on getting your length right?

Just watched the whole lot and drew a rough approximation of your lengths you bowled. You need to work on avoiding the shorter balls, which I'm sure you're more than aware of, its those that go for 4's and the six, I think for the most part your fielders backed up and you had a bloke in the deep for that slog sweep through 45 ish and they were kept to singles? Do you do accuracy drills trying to work on getting your length right?

Thanks, really appreciate it. Yeah those short balls are the main problem, I'd much rather bowl full tosses. Yeah we had a fielder out in the deep on both sides, for the slog sweep and the cut shot, though I didn't really need the cut shot one as I never stray short and wide, it is always short and legside. I certainly don't do enough accuracy drills. I think the problem is I am always bowling to batsmen in the nets and I never really bowl by myself to a target. I'd love to have my bowling right by the time the season re-starts back again in a month, so I'll be heading to the nets a few times a week alone.

Thanks, really appreciate it. Yeah those short balls are the main problem, I'd much rather bowl full tosses. Yeah we had a fielder out in the deep on both sides, for the slog sweep and the cut shot, though I didn't really need the cut shot one as I never stray short and wide, it is always short and legside. I certainly don't do enough accuracy drills. I think the problem is I am always bowling to batsmen in the nets and I never really bowl by myself to a target. I'd love to have my bowling right by the time the season re-starts back again in a month, so I'll be heading to the nets a few times a week alone.

I think for a leggy the issue with drag downs is a problem with consistency rather than accuracy.

Consistency in the sense of releasing it exactly the same every single time (with intentional variations of course). Drag downs are fairly common for leg spinners so don’t feel too bad, but I would probably target getting your release point, wrist position and all of that the same every ball.

This is assuming that you don’t have a problem with accuracy apart from the drag downs, because if you also spray it everywhere outside of the drag downs then it is an accuracy problem.

I think for a leggy the issue with drag downs is a problem with consistency rather than accuracy.

Consistency in the sense of releasing it exactly the same every single time (with intentional variations of course). Drag downs are fairly common for leg spinners so don’t feel too bad, but I would probably target getting your release point, wrist position and all of that the same every ball.

This is assuming that you don’t have a problem with accuracy apart from the drag downs, because if you also spray it everywhere outside of the drag downs then it is an accuracy problem.

Yeah, it's definitely an issue with consistency. Whenever I bowl a dragdown I could tell it is a bad ball if I had my eyes closed, because something just feels wrong with the release.

Apart from the drag downs and the occassional full toss, yeah I'm usually in and around the right area.

Yeah, it's definitely an issue with consistency. Whenever I bowl a dragdown I could tell it is a bad ball if I had my eyes closed, because something just feels wrong with the release.

Apart from the drag downs and the occassional full toss, yeah I'm usually in and around the right area.

Sometimes it is hard to avoid because the ball just sticks in your hand for slightly too long or something like that. Hard to make a technical adjustment to fix that kind of thing.

But if you’re doing it constantly then I would just bowl and try to pay attention to what happens when you do bowl a drag down and try and stop yourself from doing whatever it is. (If you can)

Sometimes it is hard to avoid because the ball just sticks in your hand for slightly too long or something like that. Hard to make a technical adjustment to fix that kind of thing.

But if you’re doing it constantly then I would just bowl and try to pay attention to what happens when you do bowl a drag down and try and stop yourself from doing whatever it is. (If you can)

Yeah for sure. I find that sometimes it is a case of not concentrating hard enough, sometimes I find when I focus on keeping the front arm up for longer it helps me bowl full.

Yeah for sure. I find that sometimes it is a case of not concentrating hard enough, sometimes I find when I focus on keeping the front arm up for longer it helps me bowl full.
I find this to be important when trying to bowl fuller.
Also for me short balls happen when I try to bowl fast, because usually you end up tensing more so you clench on to the ball dragging it down.

"By the time the season re-starts back again in a month". Uh why does the season stop?

Whatever the issue, it sounds like
Christmas and new year
Pretty obvious really!

As I’m still in juniors (last season of it this year) and not in seniors yet, we start back at the end of school holidays, start of February :mad:

South ay, I have a few friends that play for Murdoch.
whenever you are free let me know. Im gona training with the club today, focus on my action.
When landing your foot parallel to the crease, do you guys allow the heel to touch the ground?(Im not referring to the front foot)

Would you be keen for a net sometimes this weekend?

Sunday maybe.

Back